The Royal Court of France

His Majesty

 

 

The Royal Court of France buzzes with boisterous voices from the men, all gushing against each other for feuds among themselves. Fighting for the lands, for troops, aid and food; all men vies for the King’s attention.

 

The Queen Mother, the current King’s mother and of royal descent, once told him to “always stay in the good side of the nobles” and as the filial son he is, he abides, no matter how incompetent some are. “Gentlemen, may I have your attention, please.”

 

The nobles’ arguments start to tone down eventually coming to an eerie silence. As soon as the King had the nobles’ undivided attention, he cleared his throat, “I understand each and everyone of you have concerns that seek my attention. As much as I am willing to listen to all of it and even solve the problems of the world as your King, may we all go on with this tomorrow? Today has been a long day for everyone. I will have my brother seek things out in your favor to keep these properly handled. For now, let us all retire for the day. May your journey be safe and comfortable, Gentlemen.”

 

The Nobles’ ears perked up at the thought of leaving the Court without a solid proof that arguments have been settled. And so, another round of noise and protest had emerged from the silent halls, echoing even more the angry disapproval of the aristocrats.

 

“Yifan.”

 

The King looked at his left, where his Queen and the young Mother of his country has been sitting quite comfortably and silently, and mouthed, “What, Baekhyun?” quite irritably.

 

The Young Queen heaved a deep sigh, before clearing his throat to get the entire hall’s attention. The nobles looked onwards where the Royal Couple stood,  overlooking the entire commotion. As soon as the murmurs had died down, a voice so soft and heavenly to the ears kissed each and every gentleman’s ears. “Gentlemen,” he began softly, “I am sure the King would want these matters settled right away, as all of us would also want it. Unfortunately, we are all exhausted from the arguments being thrown the entire day and I would terribly, terribly hate it if we all had ended getting an enemy from each other today." He paused before looking and smiling gently towards his subjects. "Yes, today might be quite unsuccessful, but let us not forget that we are all allies here. We all want what’s best for France and it would break my heart if our strong union will be tarnished just by a little feud that we cannot handle calmly. Gentlemen, I assure you, these matters will all be settled properly tomorrow. But for now, may I suggest we all rest for the day?”

 

The nobles’ felt shame eat their entire being as the gracious Queen smiled gently to each one of them; his smile so radiant that even the most black of heart could be enlightened. His movements so smooth and with poise that even the most gracious of swans will bow from His Majesty’s presence; his unfathomable kindness filling the Court, even filling out the entire land with hope, utter brightness and eternal sunshine.

 

Yifan looked pleased and proud of his Queen; how such a little man can bring every man to his knees, succumbing to his gentle persuasion and most serene smile. He felt his whole being completely filled up with hope, love and compassion and it makes him wonder whatever happened between them. Busy praising his Queen, a gentle nudge broke his thoughts as he looked at his right where his knowing little brother looked genuinely interested with the way things were going between the Royal couple.

 

“What seems to be the problem, brother?” came his sibling’s curious tone.

 

Yifan kept silent as he looked and nodded towards the Nobles seeming to take the Queen’s message and leave quietly before paying their respects to him. “Nothing.”

 

Said little brother kept unnerved as he asked yet again, “That looks nothing to me, my dear brother. What is it that bothers my King?”

 

“Sehun, it’s nothing. Do not worry about me and focus on your task tomorrow.” Came the King’s clipped reply.

 

As soon as Sehun felt he could no longer invade his brother’s privacy, he visibly huffed on the task at hand. “Why should I even be doing this? This is your task.” He looked at his Queen and smiled as he saw the Queen hold out his hand for the Noble to take, the latter being so glad to have His Majesty’s presence in front of him.

 

“Couldn’t you shut up? For Pete’s sake, Sehun, just do the damn task.”

 

“I really do not understand why you are seeking my help out for this.”

 

Yifan had reasons why he let his brother take on the role of the King for the coming day. And it is not quite valiant. “Just, please, do the job.”

 

“All right then, Your Majesty.”

 

 

It had been a long day indeed, one that exhausted the young Queen despite his seemingly youthful appearance. He was always mocked for having the body of a fifteen-year old despite his profound customs and mannerisms.

 

His maids had been waiting at his chamber for his nightly bath, with scents coming pleasantly from lit candles. “Thank you. You may now rest.”

 

“But Your Majesty, —“

 

“There is no need for you to worry. I can manage. Please. You may now rest." The Queen smiled but his servants looked reluctant to leave him and so, he made sure his voice was stern. "I insist." They immediately scampered to leave silently after thanking him.

 

It has been a puzzle to everyone who answers to the Queen that he had been hiding from his maids every time he would be taking a bath. They perfectly understand the concept of privacy, of course, but it would still be a mystery on why he insists on taking his nightly baths alone ever since the King and his’ estrangement. They would definitely grow suspicious every time they see the Queen's smiling behavior despite the growing distance between him and the King.

 

Baekhyun, still fully clothed, walked over to his mirror and looked at himself silently. As he looked on his reflection, he sees a well-taken cared of man dressed in a tight crimson dress with golden vines embroidered at the hem of his bodice and golden ornaments resting at his silky dark brown hair. But despite all that, he still sees someone who was so strong, so passionate about being a Queen, so close to his people. Someone with the strongest heart and invincible front to lead and take care of his country, but then there are also fragments of memories that are haunting him. Memories he deemed best forgotten, memories that seemed the cause for his pale and fragile body slowly being consumed by the weight of the crown, memories that seem untrue; memories that led to Yifan being estranged from him.

 

Yifan was his personal wind. He would feel himself getting swept up in the air and laugh at even the most idiotic of things whenever Yifan is near. He was his personal knight, a shield and armor molded by past experiences, conquering countries and winning battles, strong and confident before his own people. Unfortunately, nights had gone colder, touches have been scarce, and loving looks had been diminishing at a fast rate. He wonders how can Yifan blame him for something beyond his control. He wonders if Yifan knows at least half of what he has been going through every night. He wonders if Yifan still cares.

 

He heaved a deep sigh and stepped unto his tub before ridding himself of the day’s dirt and possibly, worries.

 

 

---

 

 

A/N: Yay! First chapter up! I'm so happy you made it this far~ ㅋㅋ but don't worry, 2nd chapter will be up in a few days. You've all seen Yifan and Baekhyun's little tension here in the first chapter. I assure you this is needed for the coming ones and I will be explaining more about their past in future chapters.

 

Now for the Explanation for Character Assignments (ECA for short lol), I will be explaining Baekhyun's character. Aside from him being my bias and all (haha) I really think Baekhyun being a Queen would suit him. He moves really gracious, despite not being the main dancer and I'm saying this because he really exudes confidence. He walks as if he knows everybody's watching him do something cool and he actually flaunts it. I made Baekhyun the Queen because despite him not being the main character in real life (EXO has 12 members before right, so you know he isn't always in the spotlight lol), he lets other people take control of the stage (or the French Court) and he respects the way they handle it. He steps in if he's needed and he knows where he belongs.

 

So, yeap! I guess that's it :) I hope to see more of your comments or suggestions below!