Queen VS Queen

His Majesty

 

 

It was not a secret that there are still those that are loyal to the Queen Mother lurking in every part of the castle. They call them “The Flying Squadron” or those that are tasked to get every bit of information from powerful and wealthy men either by being their companion or, in most cases, sleeping with them. The engagement was, in all honesty, sudden to the Queen Mother’s ears especially how Sehun or even Lu Han himself have not shown any intimacy or attraction of all sorts for each other. With all the intention of hearing this news from Baekhyun’s own mouth, Jaejoong made his way towards the Young Queen’s chamber.

As Jaejoong arrived in Baekhyun’s chambers, the latter carefully scanned through his letters, moved the urgent ones up from his pile and left the other ones to be answered on a different time. Baekhyun heaved a deep breath sensing the Queen Mother’s strong presence before he proceeded on categorizing each letter.

“I must say, Sehun and Lady Lu Han’s marriage is quite a shock. Especially to me, Baekhyun.” Jaejoong cleared his throat.

Baekhyun stiffened, clearly puzzled, and looked at him as he tried to contemplate the others’ gaze. “And what do you mean by that?”

“Well, I may not have my fondness for Sehun and I have not completely been a mother to him but, Lady Lu Han?” He looked pointedly at Baekhyun before breaking out into a small smile. “I’m saying, great job. You have successfully found a match made in heaven.”

Such words would have to be inscribed in his grave to warrant such a reaction from the Queen Mother himself but Baekhyun shook the thought away as he cleared his throat. “I have never seen you this concerned over the welfare of my ladies. That is unexpectedly quite polite and kind, especially coming from someone like you.”

Jaejoong laughed dryly. “Oh, dear. You should be well-informed that I tend to hide my fiery attitude in times it’s inappropriate to use them.” He sat on the couch facing Baekhyun’s fireplace as he observed the room, as if eager to find any suspicious item or movement the Young Queen would probably hide from him and, especially, to the King.

“Well then, thank you, Jaejoong. There is nothing wrong with Lady Lu Han marrying Sehun. He is a worthy match for him and nothing we or the Vatican can dissuade, if the Vatican is indeed your problem.” The hostility from the Queen Mother is definitely one he aims to put on for another day but Jaejoong standing in the middle of his chamber looking around piqued his interest. “Enjoying your surroundings, I assume?”

“Still on a feisty mood, are we?” Jaejoong chuckled as he stood up, fixing the creases on his dress. “Well, suit yourself. This union seems to be not so much of a problem than I initially thought it would be. Unless, of course, the time comes for Sehun to be the King of France. That would have been a very big problem.”

“Are you insinuating that Lady Lu Han isn’t appropriate and worthy of the Dauphin? Must I remind you, Jaejoong, I’m still the Queen of Scotland and you are talking about one of my subjects and more importantly, a friend.” Baekhyun creased his eyebrows as he stared hard at Jaejoong, the other seeming to not get affected over the current exchanges. It was one thing to be Jaejoong’s hated daughter-in-law and another thing when it comes to his country and his subjects. Anything he sees not fit to his liking would get the Young Queen’s temper, whoever it may be.

“Can you not be so hostile?” Jaejoong laughed, shoulders loose. “Come on, relax a little. Whatever it is, let’s deal with it if the time comes.” His tone meant the subject has just been closed, but Baekhyun wouldn’t have any of it.

“Oh no, do tell me what it is you’re quite anxious about. Why are you so concerned about Lady Lu Han marrying Sehun?” Baekhyun cocked an eyebrow. Jaejoong seemed intent on getting his point across and Baekhyun knew what exactly he wanted to say yet he needed to be entirely sure. 

Jaejoong pursed his lips. Baekhyun could be quite persistent when he wants to, especially now that it involves one of his countrymen. For a moment, Jaejoong thought of actually letting the issue go but the look on Baekhyun’s face, that serious, accusing glare ticked him off. “You want the truth? He’s not worthy for the Dauphin.”

Baekhyun tried to level his breathing, his anger almost threatening to pour out yet he knew better than everyone else that anger will only cloud his judgement. He could lose. “Lady Lu Han is of Noble birth. His father owns a quarter of Scotland yet you belittle him as if he’s nothing but a tiny speck of dust! I won’t have any of this mockery, Jaejoong.”

Jaejoong looked taken aback. He knew he could never control Baekhyun, but this awed him beyond words. He held his head high and protected anyone under him and Jaejoong honestly felt so proud for him at that specific moment. Yet, Baekhyun must not know of this once-in-a-lifetime acknowledgement. He still has a reputation to uphold, anyway. “Suit yourself, Baekhyun. I’m just telling you that once this issue comes up again, God knows what I can do to you for harming my family’s welfare.”

“You are so sure that this would end in disaster.” Baekhyun spoke to which Jaejoong simply chuckled. “Don’t think I am forgetting about the marriage clause, Jaejoong. You have a far bigger debt to pay.”

Jaejoong laughed. “And here I thought you have already grown up to be the Queen that you should be. Oh my,” He took a moment to let his laughter die down before he continued, “Baekhyun, did you not even think that I purposely hid the contracts to where you can easily see them? This just goes to show that you signed the contracts without even reviewing them properly. How are you going to correct your mistake suppose I did switch the contracts?”

“As Queens, I would have expected you to have the same kind of respect I was born with. You have been disappointing me, time and time again.”

I am disappointing you?” Jaejoong snickered. “Baekhyun, who is it among us that has not given a child to my son? Who is it among us who insisted on exhausting all diplomatic resources on things that needed strategies and tactics? Who is it among us who didn’t fulfill their man’s needs?”

“There are things that are beyond my control yet I do everything I can to ensure that France, my country and especially my husband is happy by my side. I wouldn’t expect that, really, especially from someone who has forgotten companionship.” That left a bitter taste on Baekhyun’s mouth but it had to be spoken.

As a response to Baekhyun’s taunt, Jaejoong stared down at Baekhyun. “Your threats are of no use to me.” He felt the words sting him a little, enough to draw out blood in his cold and numb heart but he shook the pain away. Having been widowed for almost year is definitely catching up to him. “I don’t really care what you say to me. All I know is that I’m in the middle of my preparation of reveling in your failure once my son learns that the soldiers he blindly sent into battle did not return safe and sound to their own families.” Walking towards the door, he stopped a bit and turned to Baekhyun. “After all, if anything happens to them, we all know who to blame.” Jaejoong smirked.

Baekhyun momentarily weakened at the venom from the Queen Mother’s words. He clasped his hands together and guarded his gaze, completely masking his fear for the lives on his hands. “I assure you it won’t come to that. They will come home and no one is going to get killed.”

As Jaejoong left his chambers, Baekhyun’s knees gave up as he slumped at his couch, his hands quivering. “What have I done?”

 

 

Sehun had definitely missed a lot of responsibilities the past few days with him and Lu Han’s union to be held at the end of the month being the bulk of it. The abrupt schedule didn’t leave unnoticed by Yifan who felt the need to enquire why the sudden move of date. Sehun, however, looked quite excited for the wedding that Yifan opted to let his brother do what he wanted.

On the day Sehun managed to leave the wedding preparations to Lu Han, he intended to visit the King in his study when a certain carriage entering the courtyard caught his eye from the window. “Isn’t that Lady Jongin’s carriage?” He mumbled as he walked past the King’s study and rushed towards the yard where guests are attended. He sees Jongin carefully going down his carriage, his magenta silk dress looking absolutely gorgeous on his tanned skin tone.

“Lady Jongin.” Sehun spoke as he offered his hand to help the Lady.

Jongin looked up, shock imminent on his face before he regained his composure and smiled at Sehun. He took his hand as he minded his step. “My, I am quite flattered you know my name.”

As soon as their hands touched, Sehun felt the Lady’s mildly rough but thin fingers and ultimately thought of how it could not compare to Lu Han’s softer, candle-like ones. He took note of how the Lady had such a firm yet soft grip on his hand and concluded that it was from dancing for hours. He mentally took note to make sure he lets Luhan know he loved his hands and smiled despite himself as he helped the Lady. “Of course. You are the daughter of Lord Heechul.” He hoped the stiff and guarded stance he imposed from this sudden visit would not be a bit suspicious and in turn affect Lady Jongin’s mood.

Jongin smiled warmly as he gently retracted back his hand from the Dauphin as soon as both his feet were on the ground. He would never forget how dashing and handsome Sehun is as he made quite the impression back at the feast. “I am impressed. I was thinking you probably would not remember me after the feast a few weeks ago but I am clearly mistaken.” He looked at the Dauphin’s eyes before gazing at his clasped hands. He felt the electricity from the one Sehun held and he wondered if he had felt the same thing. If he did, he masked it well.

“You humor me, my lady.” Sehun smiled as he made a move to usher Lady Jongin inside the court. “Is there anything I can do for you? I was on my way to the King’s study when I saw your carriage roll in from the gates.” They walked side by side with a distance Sehun deemed appropriate, especially now that he is betrothed.

“It’s nothing. I just wanted to visit the court. Can I not do that?” Jongin mused as he shyly glanced at Sehun’s way. The distance between the two of them made his insides squirm a little as he tried to calm his nerves. He felt so exposed being together with him on a bright day, let alone on an almost deserted hallway. The moment felt too intimate and Jongin have been thinking how a chance of being alone with the Dauphin came across him this day. Yet, as he would love to think how lucky he was, he couldn’t fathom the guarded actions Sehun gave. As if he’s protecting something.

Sehun observed silently the way Jongin moved— graceful with a hint of nervousness but distinct and direct. Lady Jongin has been behaving quite strangely upon his arrival at the court. He pinned this thought and managed to scrutinize every movement as they both walked towards the King’s study. “It’s not that, milady. I wish you would tell me if this is a court matter or simply just visiting and paying respects. That is all.” He counters. He felt heavily burdened upon seeing how Jongin looked at him bashfully and he could not shake off the idea that Jongin might have feelings for him. He needed to clear things out before this idea gets massively entertained by the Lady himself. “Lady Jongin, I do not want to get ahead of myself but could it possibly be that you are visiting the court for me?” He asked, carefully treading the water.

Jongin looked at him incredulously. Have I been too direct all this time? “Oh no, Sehun, no.” He supplied. Maybe I should try to be a bit direct. “But that could be another reason for this visit. Is it not acceptable?” He replied coyly as they both rounded out the corner.

Sehun stopped in his tracks as he blinked towards the Lady. “I am not entirely sure I heard you correctly, Lady Jongin.” He stumbled upon his words. He heard the Lady clearly but he needed time to formulate his reply without being too ruthless.

“Is it not allowed? To visit you? Or should we, perhaps, have the visiting arrangements done on nightfall?” Jongin carefully asked. He took notice of Sehun’s nervous actions as he reached out and held his arm to pacify him.

The latter, however, jerked upon the sudden contact. “I apologize, Lady Jongin. I might have given you wrong signals.” His voice came out a little above a whisper and he knew it took every ounce of courage Jongin had to do that one little action. He felt guilty for having to reject him but he had to do so.

Jongin’s hand fell to his side as he blinked at the Dauphin. He had never felt shame eat up his entire being like this way. He knew it was risqué to attempt such a bold action from a Lady such as himself yet he gambled his chance. He knew he could have the Dauphin’s heart but it clearly was a wrong move.

“Please don’t get me wrong, Lady Jongin. You are very beautiful and talented. Any man would definitely be lucky to have you. But I’m not the man for you.”

Jongin took a deep breath as he tried to calm himself down. He knew his actions put them both on an awkward position and he needed to do something to revert this situation around. “I understand, Sehun. I should have known you would not feel the same way for me.” His voice shook as he tried to put on a brave face, at least so he would not feel entirely scarred from this encounter. “It must be Lady Lu Han. Am I correct?” He managed a small smile.

Sehun pursed his lips and avoided his gaze. It took a moment before he replied. “Yes. Yes, you’re right.” He paused. “And we are engaged, with our wedding to take place at the end of this month.” He looked at Jongin’s eyes, pain and sorrow splashed across. “We were about to send in the invitations today, but you came in and I had to respectfully inform you.”

Jongin gasped, and for a moment, he thought he couldn’t do this but he eventually broke out into a smile, one he genuinely gave to Sehun. “This is shocking. Nevertheless, I am deeply glad you two will be joined in Holy Matrimony. I saw the way you looked at him at the feast and I just shrugged it off. Now I knew better.” He chuckled. “I am really, really happy for the both of you but I must now get on with my official business here at the court. My father wants to send in a letter bestowed by the English Queen.” He supplied. His eyes showed how much in pain he was but immediately willed himself to push all his personal feelings behind and fulfill his primary task.

The lie could easily be detected through his words but Sehun’s ears perked up at the mention of the English Queen and his business with a Catholic Scottish Noble. “The English Queen, you say? And what business would you have with Queen Kyungsoo?” His voice sterned, sensing the sudden visit to be quite damaging than he initially thought.

“We have been Protestants for a while now and I was tasked, by my father, to deliver this letter to His Majesty Queen Baekhyun.”

“How can Lord Heechul be a Protestant..” Sehun incredulously asked. “Are there any more Nobles who took the conversion?” His danger sensors are alarmed at this news. His men scattered around the country must have not known this but he felt entirely angered that a slip like this has been entertained.

“From my knowledge, it has only been our family who has been converted. We are remaining to be Catholics outside though our beliefs had changed. In context with the other Catholic Nobles, I hear no news yet.” Jongin carefully answered as he saw Sehun tensed. He never understood how dangerous this mission was until he saw how the Dauphin reacted. He suddenly imagined how much crueler the King and Queen would be if he had directly asked for them.

“Lady Jongin, I.. I do not know what to say. This is fraternising with the enemy. You do realize that you, coming here to French court, could lose your head. This is treason!” Sehun stepped back. He willed himself to calm down as he racked his brain on how to gently break this news to the Queen. He was aware how the defense had been trickling in Scotland but he didn’t believe a loyal Noble, much less than a family friend would be capable of doing such a thing.

“Fear not, Sehun. I do not wish to announce me and my family’s beliefs today. I have no intent to even divulge it to you but it seems that I had to.” Jongin said. “I was hoping you could grant me an audience with His Majesty?”

“I’m sorry. I can’t.” Sehun stepped back once more as he sighed. “Jongin, everybody knows the Queen is a pious man. He doesn’t hold it to his people to be a devout Catholic but he could do anything to you and your family if it comes to his attention that you have done this. He is still the Queen of two Catholic countries. I’m sorry but I can’t let you see the Queen.”

“Who can’t I see, Sehun?”

Sehun looked back to where the Queen slowly approached them. He looked rather bright today, and he silently thanked his brother who he assumed to be the cause of this. “Your Majesty.”

Baekhyun walked towards the two, his eyes lighting up upon seeing Lady Jongin. “Oh, hello there, Lady Jongin. This is a nice surprise. What brings you here on a beautiful day?”

“Your Majesty.” Jongin smiled as he bowed. “My father asked me to deliver a letter for you.”

“Lord Heechul.” Baekhyun’s interest piqued at the mention of his family’s old friend and trusted Noble. “You must be tired traveling along the channel. I am so sorry for you to have to deliver this yourself. What is it then?”

“Oh, it’s quite alright, Your Majesty. This is nothing.” Jongin smiled before he glanced at Sehun as he handed the letter to Baekhyun, stopping a second before speaking. “He says the English Queen is starting to make his move.”

Baekhyun reached out as he read the correspondence. “A plan on ‘Protestant Reformation?’ And what does this mean?” Angered, he looked at Jongin as the latter deftly avoided his gaze. “Are you telling me that Scottish Nobles have been targeted into converting to Protestantism while I am still their Queen? A Catholic Queen, nonetheless!”

Before Jongin could reply, Yifan walked up to them by chance. “Was there any notice that we’d have a gathering in the middle of the hallway?” He chuckled before realizing the current stifling atmosphere and Lady Jongin’s presence. “Baekhyun, what seems to be the problem here?” His voice automatically changed from a playful tone to a King’s air.

Baekhyun held Yifan’s arm, as if to assure him that everything is handled properly. “Kyungsoo is making his move. Lady Jongin here is telling me of Lord Heechul’s message.” Baekhyun gave Yifan the letter addressed to him as his hold changed from assurance to one who needed support. He felt weak, with his marriage finally starting to come whole but at the cost that his country is starting to fall apart. Yifan felt the drastic change from his touch, and as he read the letter, his face hardened.

“Your Majesty.” Lady Jongin bowed. “I was sent here by my father to deliver a message.”

As total realization dawned on Yifan, he willed his face to remain stoic. “Correct me if I’m wrong but I am assuming that you and your family have been converted to Protestantism.”

Lady Jongin seemed at a lack of words and Sehun had no idea how to shield the Lady from a possible wrath from the disloyalty that happened under the current monarch’s reign. He saw Jongin visibly stiffen at the cold tone the King threw at him and he couldn’t blame his brother for using such a tone.

Yifan softly sighed, voice holding authority together with his expression. “Tell your father to come next time. I do not mean to offend you, Lady Jongin, but I would rather deal with him directly than bait his own daughter. Being a Protestant is what you and your family has wished for some unforeseen circumstance and it is against me in forcing you to be a Catholic when your influences clearly tell you not to be one.”

“But Your Majesty, you will not punish me?” Jongin tremblingly asked.

“I said, it is not in my character to force you into something your influences wouldn’t want.” Yifan looked at Jongin sharply as he gritted his teeth. “I would, however, punish you if it weren’t for Baekhyun who thinks of your family as a great friend. After all, I am still my father’s son.” Yifan stared at him hard. “I would save it for a different occassion. I am positive there will be more in the future, dealing with the English, I mean.” He turned around to leave. “Please excuse us. Baekhyun, let’s go.” Yifan held onto Baekhyun’s hand as they turned to leave Jongin and Sehun when Baekhyun pulled Yifan to a sudden stop.

Baekhyun whipped around and walked back to Lady Jongin. “I have been trying to contain my patience ever since I have known of your family’s betrayal, Lady Jongin. Not just to me but to God Himself. But my patience is on the brink of extinction. I think it is time to give this message to Lord Heechul and I trust that you will not omit any word I will speak.” Baekhyun looked at his eyes, gaze piercing than a sharpened knife. “The English Queen might be terrifying, yes, but you are forgetting that you are in my country and in this land, anyone who defies me will have their head. Do not test my power and do not ever tempt my fury.”

Lady Jongin was left standing there, completely fear-stricken as his heart continued to beat rapidly, the Scottish Queen’s threat palpable to anyone near.

 

 

As soon as Baekhyun and Yifan were inside their chambers, he noticed how his King suddenly grew silent. He looked at him just in time to see Yifan’s face silently contorting in pain as he closed his eyes, shallow breaths leaving him. “Yifan,” He held onto his hand, “Yifan, are you alright?”.

Yifan’s lips had started to pale, his hands cold and he felt his vision blur. “I’m alright. Don’t worry about me too much, Baek. The heat must have probably been harsher today than most days.” He heaved a deep breath. “We must be prepared for when Kyungsoo plans to attack Scotland. We will send in more men to ensure your country’s safety.” Despite all the assurance, Yifan started to sweat profusely.

“Yifan, I am very, very thankful but let’s not talk about this first. You need to rest. You’re pale, your hands are cold and the strength in your grip is slowly receding. I will get Changmin.” Baekhyun helped Yifan get to their bed. He tried not to show his panic but deep inside, the fear has been crippling him. His hands shook and he barely concealed them to Yifan who was trying his hardest to remain composed despite the headache he is starting to have. As soon as Yifan has been safely tucked in, Baekhyun brushed away the hair from Yifan’s eyes. “Hold on, Yifan. I will get Changmin.”

Yifan caught on his wrist and intertwined their hands. “Stop worrying, Baek. I’m fine. Turn that frown upside down, I don’t want to see you worried.” He whispered, his voice hoarse. “This is just probably fatigue. You don’t need to worry, but I must admit I need Changmin’s medicines.” His shallow laugh turned to heaps of cough as something warm trickled down his ear. He’s not fine and he knew it. He just didn’t want Baekhyun to worry even more. He felt like dying.

Baekhyun felt tearing up and something tells him this isn’t just an ordinary ailment. He visibly stiffened as soon as he saw the blood in Yifan’s ear. “Yifan!”

 

 

==

A/N: From this part of the world, Happy Valentine's Day to you guys!!!! I hope I still make it and Valentine's isn't over yet :D AND for a Valentine's Day update, this is pretty heavy and... sad? I hope you don't hate me!!! But you're all probably wondering why such a long update? Well, it's actually needed. I realized I don't give you enough content on one chapter so I made sure to make it "meatier" lol. But I hope you like this update and comment, yea? :) Til the next chapter~!

Ah, also, you guys do know I love you right~? So please accept this first generation heart~ <3<3<3