Happy Birthday to Me (Part One)

Pretty In Pink

A/N: This chapter would have turned out massive and would have come out much later if I didn't give it to you now, so I thought that I should be nice and give this one to you ^.^ Hope you enjoy it~~ 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We decided that on the following Saturday, he would take me to the opening of this new store and I was practically counting the minutes until then. Giddy and beyond excited, I must have driven Tae crazy with my constant chatter about dream dresses, prints and cuts I would be looking for.

Before I knew it, the day had arrived. I felt nervous, which was so strange considering all I was doing was heading to a store that sold clothes. Taking a deep breath,I pulled on an oversized grey sweater along with my favourite pair of skinnys’ before following it up with a quick spray of cologne and a hint of hair gel to tame my wild bed hair. I opened up one of my favourite novels (A place over time I had begun to keep money from my parents, like a hidden savings account) and shoved the 200 odd dollars into my pocket. Edging my way downstairs, I peered around the corner to see them both sitting at the dining table, completely disinterested in my existence as I spoke.  I threw a quick half-lie to my parents that I was just going to go hang out at Taemins for the weekend, to which they responded with a soft grunt of approval before I bolted out the door. My shoes pounding against the pavement, I threw myself down at the hard metal bus bench and happily waited. Pulling my phone out of my pocket, I clicked the power button which brought up the time with blinking lights, pointing out that I was 10 minutes early for meeting Tae. Unlocking my device, I began to play a mindless game, trying to ignore the slight chill in the air causing my skin to prickle and become covered in goose bumps.

Before long, A slim boy sat beside me quietly, and it took me to a moment to realise who it was. Despite being half way through a game, I shut the phone and looked over at my close friend.

“Tae?” I looked over him with concern, noticing his pale hands, his dead aura, and his eyes which were rimmed with red, meaning he had been up all night crying again. He wouldn’t admit it, but I knew it had something to do with Jonghyun, and he still wouldn’t tell me what happened. It wasn’t my place to push him to share his information so I just bundled him into my arms quietly, his hair as he wrapped his arms around me, holding me close like a security blanket. We stayed in a comfortable silence until the bus arrived, to which I stood up from the bench, lacing my fingers with his for his comfort before pulling him gently onto the bus with me. We headed up to the back, and thankfully because we were early, it was practically empty, meaning we could talk freely without feeling intruded on by the people around us.

“I’m sorry Hyung, a way to ruin your birthday…” He gives me a smile, but it didn’t quite reach his eyes.
“It’s fine Tae, really.” I reached up, gently running my fingers through his soft hair. He leaned into my touch slightly, deciding to try and liven up his own mood and mine, he began;

“Excited Hyung?”
“Of course I am!” I gushed, maybe a little too loud but I really couldn’t contain my happy jitters, his smile grew a little and I threw my arms around him.
“I’m glad you are.” He gives me a small pat on the back before pulling back, realising that we were getting close. He pushed the old  button which let out a protesting squeal, alerting the bus driver who pulled over. He took my hand and tugged me to follow him off the quiet bus, and we both stepped onto the warm pavement, beginning to walk as the bus rattled away.

He didn’t even need to tell me where this store was as I let my eyes wander and settle on a small shop, nestled between a take-away store and a 7/11, it didn’t have a sign but out front, on a mannequin was a bodyline bittersweet dress, dazzling in the sun. I set off on a face paced walk, and nothing could stop me. Taemin followed behind quietly, and I stopped only inches away, my hand gliding over the smooth fabric, and it honestly felt like a dream. I had never been this close to the fashion before, let alone touch a dress. My heart beating quickly, I withdrew my attention from the strongly contrasted dress and moved inside the store. I took a deep breath, the strong smell of pine and dust filling my nostrils. I suddenly felt shy, gingerly looking up at the man who was settled behind the counter. Obviously sensing my stare, his eyes shot up to met mine, giving me a wide smile. He must have been about fortyish, tousled brown hair and a kind smile, he was well dressed in a waist coat and tie.

“Why hello there. Feel free to browse, and I’m here to help if necessary, I won’t be as helpful as my wife as she is into all that Lolita stuff, but I’ll give it my best.” He gave a light hearted chuckle which made me relax. Dropping Taemins hand, I wandered to the closest rack which was pressed along a long wall, and viewed all of the dresses and skirts which must have been hastily hung as no order was provided, but that honestly didn’t matter as I began to slowly and carefully thumb through the fabric. Pinks, purples, even the occasional mint green filled my vision with multiple patterns and textures for me to admire. Most of the prints I recognised but none were necessarily on my must buy list.

 

I was beginning to lose hope when one caught my eye, It was a light pink shade with toy soliders and presents decorating the bottom, and a contrasted shade of mint was well placed around the skirt. Pulling it out, it was surprisingly heavy, and the fabric was of fantastic quality. In the excitement, I fumbled for the tag which hung off the back. To which it read;

Toy Parade, Angelic Pretty, 18,000 Yen.

My heart sank, If I bought this, I wouldn’t be able to afford anything else here. I was about to put it down when Taemin appeared behind me.

“Oh! Hyung, that’s pretty.” He thumbed the fabric in interest, peering over at me. Resigning to a sigh, I nodded my head and showed him the price tag.
“Oooh, ouch.” He frowned, taking it from my hands and nosily looking into the dress, pulling at the zipper and so forth when I noticed the tag.
“Hey Tae, look at this.” Pulling the fabric back slightly, the dress tag read “Baby the Stars Shine Bright.” Frowning, I gave him a questioning look, “Do you think they just made an honest mistake with the tags?” His lips tugged up a little into a twisted smirk, “I can find out if you like~?”
“NO!” I must have said it a little too loud as the man gave us a strange look before turning back to his book, “No, I want to come back here.” I harshly whispered to him, giving him a glare.
“Ok, ok, I’ll be nice, you keep looking Hyung.” He hurried off and I started browsing through the blouses and picked up a plain, off-white one from bodyline as he comes back, smiling in triumph.
“What did you do?” I asked lowly.
“Nothing, I was perfectly charming and he thanked me for correcting his mistake. Knocked 5,000 yen off the price.”
“Wow!” My eyes widened in surprise and I clinged alittle tighter to the blouse I was holding. “At least that gives me a lot more leeway to buying more stuff. Thanks Taemin.” I gave him a small smile and held up the blouse I was holding, “what do you think?”
“Cute~! What about a mint blouse?” He asks, going a soft shade of pink before shaking his head, “Sorry, mum leaves magazines out….” He mumbles, giving out a loud cough.
“No! That’s a great idea actually, it will really sweeten the coord.” I gush, putting the white blouse down and picking up a soft mint blouse, decorated with little pearls and a nice peter pan collar.
“How much have you got left now Hyung?” Taemin blinks, resting his chin on my shoulder, peering at whats in my hands from behind.
“Mm…. $40.” I nod, looking around for some accessories. I pick up a few cute things, some handmade rings and some mint/pink wristcuffs.
“Ok, I’m going to go pay for these.” I nod at Tae, before wandering to the counter and placing them down.
“Buying them for your girlfriend?” The man behind the counter asks as he puts them through.
“Uh… yeah.” I flush pink, looking down at my hands. I couldn’t admit it to him that this was for me, I would be so embarrassed. 
“Good choice, I’m sure she will love them.” I nod timidly, not saying anything as I pull my bag off the counter and with an exchange of money, I walk away quickly, forcing a smile as I take Taemins hand and pull him from the store.
“It’s such a nice dress hyung, I can’t wait to see you wear it.” Seeing my mood has changed and I haven’t stopped walking, he steps infront of me and grabs my shoulders, “Hyung? What happened?”

I sigh, deciding it isn’t best to reject his help when this was a tough process for myself, and I explain to him what the man said.

“Oh Hyung, don’t listen to him, ok? He doesn’t know what he is talking about.” He smiles, pecking my nose, “Shall we go for ice-cream?” I nod, my smile growing in thankfulness of his words. My eyes drift down slightly and that’s when I finally notice a small bruise on his neck. It was faint, barely there but it sparked my interest. How would he….? It took me a moment before I realised, my eyes widening slightly before looking up at him.

“Taemin… How did you get that hickey?”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Hope you all enjoyed it, here is one of my favourite pictures~ hehe