1. Brolita

Pretty In Pink


It was just a boring day, rain falling lazily just outside my window, making my grey interior seem that much more dull as I stretch out across my bed, procrastinating about the stacks of homework I had piling up on a desk nearby. My school uniform was still slightly damp from the rain, but it seemed the least of my worries when I saw it.

My eyes widened with awe, my thumb stopping from the repetitive motion of flicking up with disinterest as I scrolled through my tumblr account. What-? Blinking a few times, I continued gazing at the picture, my eyes darting over every detail of the outfit that the girl had graced me access with. I had never seen anything quite as beautiful, quite as elegant. The lace and frills, the many pastel colours that adorned the dress made my heart stop. It’s like everything had come together in life, this is exactly what I had been missing.

Placing my phone aside, I reached under my bed and pulled out my laptop, closing my various other tabs and furiously typing in a few tags from the picture, in the hopes to find out what this fashion is. The next few hours were spent going through various websites, watching videos and looking at gallery photos of girls decorated in what they call ‘Lolita’. A japanese fashion, heavily inspired by the Rococco and Elizabethian Era, rebelling against the now lewd fashion of today, classically clinging to modesty and elegance with the fashion.

 My heart broke a little, Was it really a fashion for girls? There has so be an alternative for boys. With that set in mind, I continued to hunt the internet when I found the term, ‘Brolita.’

I was surprised to see that it was so easy for these Lolitas to accept boys who had chosen to wear a beautiful fashion, when most societies would frown upon such an act, setting with pre-determined stereotypes. But just maybe I would be accepted, finally to be able to express who I truly am.

Finally finding a shop that sold the dresses, I clicked on the first photograph my heart dropped and my face fell. 28,880 yen?! It was so expensive, I never seen anything so highly priced, and with my part time job, it would take me months to obtain that kind of cash. Letting out a sigh, I pushed my laptop away with a huff.

With a sudden knock on the door, I jumped up and slammed my laptop shut and shoved it under the pillow as my mother came in, her lips pressed into a firm line.

“Kibum, What are you doing?” She asked suspiciously, eyes darting over the room.
“Nothing.” I muttered, standing up, “I was just on the phone to…um, our team manager.” It was a lie but her face lit up with enthusiasm.
“Jessica? She is such a lovely girl Kibum. Are you and her dating?” She became excited, gushing over something that would never happen. I stood up, rolling my eyes as I turned to change my shirt.
“No mother.” I replied bluntly, in no mood from her ranting. Her eyebrows shot up, eyes widening like they would pop out of her skull.
“What did you just say to me? Are you being disrespectful?” I watched in fear, worried as her mood seemed to change so quickly as she took a step forward. I shook my head and my eyes meeting hers as I cower, a small smirk graced her face which caused my stomach to turn. She knew I was afraid of her and it was like feeding a demon, praying on the small and it seemed to fuel her. With a shake of her head, she speaks after a short moment; “Dinner is ready.” She tsked and turned, leaving me alone in the room for me to let out an exasperated sigh and finish dressing into my soft black pajamas, hoping my hands would stop shaking so much and the urge to cry would leave me before I reached the dinner table.

-

“Hyung!” A loud voice boomed behind me, snapping me out of my trance as I pulled the earphones from my ears, turning back to see a tall blonde boy bounding up behind me. I stopped in my footsteps and waited for the boy to catch up, halting beside me and taking a few gasping breaths, the rain having drenched him. He gestured quickly for me to follow alongside him as we made our way to school. I instantly scolded the boy for not having an umbrella, shaking my head in disapproval.  
“Sorry Hyung~” He said with his obnoxiously sweet voice he did when he was being a pain, “You are too short for me to squeeze under your umbrella comfortably. I would have to slouch.” He joked, dodging the playful punch and mehronged at my weak attempt at pouting.
“Yah, so mean~” I mumbled, causing him to laugh, his voice loud and I couldn’t help break into laughter as well as his eyes crinkled to a very endearing half moon shape, before shaking his hair like a dog, small droplets of water spraying onto me.
“Tae~” I said, my laughter dying, and my lips instead settled into a smile as he graced me with one in return, “Whats with the hair?” I chuckle, reaching up high to gently brush the new coloured strands from his eyes.
“Kai helped me do it, do you like it?” As I nodded, he gently pulled the umbrella from my hand, holding it over the both of us. Throwing his damp arm around me casually, he gave it a light squeeze to which I let out a small squeak of disapproval as the cold material hit the nape of my neck.
“Sorry Key~” He gave me a playful wink to which I rolled my eyes.
“Such a rude boy, with such a casual greeting you would assume that you were superior to me in age.” Reaching up, I gave him a playful flick on the ear.
“Well, I’m definitely superior in height~” He joked.
“Aish- Where did that small, innocent Taemin go? The one that was such a sweet boy~?” I announced dramatically to which he responded just as quickly;
“You know as well as I do that there never been such a thing as innocent Taemin, Hyung, just a shy one.” He smirked a little.
“Mm~” I gave a gentle nod, sliding my hand into my pocket and pulling out my phone, the bright screen lit up, alerting me that it was five minutes until class started.
“Ahh! Tae, I’ll catch up with you during lunch, neh? I’ll be in the study hall.” I quickly announced, bolting off in the other direction once we reached the school gates.
“Yah! Your umbrella!” He called out, watching as I ran off.
“Keep it.” Was all I yelled back as I made my way up to the classroom. Stumbling through the halls, I almost barrelling into a few girls in the process, causing them to screech in disapproval at my very informal apologies as I held onto the strap of my bagging, stopping at the end of the long corridor. I clumsily fell into the room, which earned a glare from a few students but I was thankful that I made it in time. Patting down my damp hair, I continued taking deep breaths as I slid into my seat, dumping my bag beside me. Pulling out a small mirror, I worked on fixing up my hair when I felt a hot breath on my ear.

“Late are we Kibum~?” The deep voice breathed, causing my face to become an embarrassing shade of red, causing me to almost jump out of my seat. Turning around furiously, I began to swat at the boy who just laughed and caught my hand, gave it a brief, playful peck.
“Pabo! I made it just on time.” My lips pursed, raising an eyebrow as I tugged my hand from his grip.
“Are you blushing?” The dark haired boy leaned forward and pinched my cheeks which just grew a darker shade, causing me to scowl.
“Im flushed, I just had to run all the way here.” I lied, poking my tongue out at him to which his lips tugged into a cocky smirk. He leaned back, stretching his toned arms out to which I swallowed, frowning at him and trying desperately to change the subject, “Why are you addressing me so casually anyway Jonghyun, where are your manners?”
“Sorry, would you prefer Oppa~?” He batted his lashes, to which I puffed my cheeks, turning back to face the front.
“Dumb dinosaur.” And with those last word spoken, the teacher entered and silenced the class as he began to mark the roll.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you enjoyed the first chapter of 'Pretty in Pink and gave enough context to what lolita is for you all :3 Over the next couple of chapters, I will try my best to include more about the lolita fashion, and be patient for the onkeyness, He will not make an appearance for a couple of chapters as I will be building up a character profile and backstory to kibum instead of jumping right in like I previously planned. Have some cute JongKey and TaeKey instead for now~ ^^