Broken Bonds

Unspoken...

Qri and Areum went to school together for the first time. Areum gets to hold her Eonni's hand and Qri was obliged. On the way, they met Soyeon.

"Hi, Soyeon-ah." Qri greeted her with a smile.

"Hi...Hi, Areum-ya~" Soyeon said hi but Areum's hid behind Qri's back.

"Areum-ah, is something wrong?" Qri asked.

Areum didn't stare at Soyeon. She eyed some students and noticed Jiyeon on the crowd. She bidded her unnies goodbye and followed Jiyeon.

"Hmm...what's with Areum?" Qri wondered.

Then she looked at Soyeon and she was down. Qri comforted her and was shocked that Soyeon hugged her tight.

"Let's go?" Soyeon asked and looked at Qri.

Qri couldn't say anything. She just nodded and Soyeon and her went to class. Soyeon held Qri's hand and intertwined their fingers.Qri lowered her head a bit and blushed. She found this opportunity worth the wait but she can't stop thinking about Areum.

***

Qri waited at the seventh grade room for Areum. She saw her and she was so happy. Areum rushed and hugged her tight.

"Hey, Areum-ah. Let's go home..." Qri said and they walked side by side.

On the way, they talked. They also met Soyeon again. She said a plain hi to Qri and greeted Areum. Areum didn't run away this time and only held her Eonni's arm.

"There's gonna be a party at Ham Eunjung's place. She asked me to invite some friends and I was wondering if you would like to come." Soyeon said.

Qri nodded but Areum nudged her.

"Can you give us a second? I need to talk to my sister here." Qri dragged her sister to a place where they can talk.

Soyeon nodded and just waited. But inside, she had her plans...

***

"Come on, Areum-ah. We should go."

"I don't want to, Eonni." Areum whined.

"Come on. This might be my chance to confess to Soyeon." Qri said again.

"Now do you want me to come?" Areum asked.

"Because I need your help. She's giving you some attention. I need your help so that I can be more close to her." Areum saw her Eonni's eyes and she was desperate.

"Eonni..." Areum was just unsure.

"Please...? Eonni needs your help, Areum-ah..." Qri pleaded.

"Alright." Areum finally agreed.

***

Qri and Areum asked their permission from their parents. They agreed and Qri took responsibility for her sister. As they arrived, Qri and Areum were at a party... which was not suitable for Qri's age, not alone Areum's.

"Hey." Soyeon waved at the two.

Qri said hi and guided Areum to whr=ere they will be sitting. Soyeon planeed to sit by Areum but she already sat between Qri and Eunjung. Soyeon had to sit with Qri since there were no more spaces.

"You dragged your sister along, Qri-san?" Eunjung asked Qri.

"No...I let her come too." Qri said.

"Your classmate Jiyeon is here. She's at the pool with Hwayoung." Eunjung pointed at Jiyeon who was a bit drunk.

"Want some?" Eunjung handed Areum a drink.

"Don't make my sister drink, Eunjung." Qri said coldly.

"I wish I had a sister..." Eunjung pouted seeing Qri so caring for Areum.

"Too bad you're the only child, Eunjung." Soyeon said and she and Qri chuckled.

Eunjung also chuckled and went back to her post. Soyeon made a move to sit with Areum.and held her tight. Areum held sister's arm and Qri patted her head.

"Jihyun-ah, can you get me a drink?" Soyeon asked.

"Sure." Qri said as she got up.

"Eonni..." Areum called.

"I'll be back, Areum-ah..." Qri assured.

'Come on, Areum...get Soyeon-unnie to like Qri-eonni.' She encouraged herself.

"Are you having fun, Areum-ah?" Soyeon asked.

"Ne. Eonni's company is enough." Areum smiled.

The conversation ends again. Areum eyed for her Eonni and eyed Soyeon too in case she does it again.

"I'm sorry about yesterday, Areum-ah..." Soyeon apologized and leaned onto Areum's shoulder.

"Let that be all behind us, unnie." Areum said boldly for the first time.

"Didn't that matter to you at all?" Soyeon asked her again.

"Not that it didn't matter. I don't deserve it, unnie. There is one who deserved all of it...and that's not me, Soyeon-unnie." Areum replied.

"Who?" Soyeon asked as she was offended.

Areum didn't say anything and waited for Qri. Soyeon didn't liked to be ignored as she grabbed Areum's face and kissed her. Then, a sound of broken glass was heard...

---------------

*Qri's POV

'No...my Areum-ah would never do that...' I kept on saying it on my head.

But my eyes didn't deceive me. I saw Soyeon-ah and Areum-ah...kissing. I was so stupid for doing this to my sister. She...she betrayed me.

"Unnie, let go!!" Areum screamed and was shocked to see me.

"Eonni...it's not what you think..." Areum went near me.

"So that's what you've been doing? Is that why you came with me?" I asked as I was pissed.

"Eonni...Areum-ah didn't do it, I swear..." Areum held me tight.

"You're stuck up, Areum!!!" I yelled and ran away from her.

"Eonni, wait!!"

Soyeon witnessed it. It was not her fault. But Areum...not only she annoyed me, she made me mad again. I thought we'd get along and we'd share that bond again when we were little. But history repeated itself again and Areum and I went home, running and not holding each other's hands. We got out happy and got in seperately. I went to my room and cried my heart out. I heard loud knocks on my door and heard Areum's cries.

"*sob*...Eonni...talk to me, please...I can explain...just listen to me, please..." Areum continued to cry.

"Go away! Don't you ever talk to me again!! Just leave me alone!!!" I yelled.

"*sniff*...Eonni...Please..." Areum continued to cry.

I was all torn up. Areum had the knowledge and attention already. But she has to take Soyeon too? I continued to cry but Areum was still at the door.

"Just go...I don't want to talk to you." My voice was a bit faint since I'm tired of crying now.

Silence filled the air. I sobbed softly now and closed my eyes.

"God...I never wanted Soyeon-unnie to like me. Why can't she see Eonni? My Eonni loves Soyeon-unnie...she loves her..." I heard Areum babble while crying.

I ignored her. I was so annoyed of Areum that I said something I might regret.

"Go away, Areum. You are not my sister. I don't have a sister anymore. You're just a person who looks like Appa. We don't share one blood and we'll never share that blood!!"

I'm screwed. I heard Areum cry harder. My tears flowed harder too.

"Alright..." It was the last thing she said before she left me.

I panted as I calm myself from all the crying. I drift myself to slumber and welcome my deepest failure.