Chapter 3

Hold Me Tight

Chapter 3: 'You.'


"You have to come visit," they said. "It'll be good for the both of you," they said.

It's been a week and only now do I stand in front of their practice room at 12am with several bags full of takeaway. This was normal a few weeks ago. This didn't make me nervous, scared and uneasy the last time.

I shift my weight from my toes to my heels. I can hear the footsteps and music, the panting and singing. I can also here Hoseok struggling with his lines but can bet he's practiced day and night like he was advised not to. 

I furrow my brows and tighten my grip. Previously I could feel the heat of the food tickle my knuckles but now it's gone cold. I click my tongue before giving out an agitated sigh. 'Ah! Choi Ahri you're pathetic!'

'Pathetic' echoes around me before I realise I had expressed my frustration aloud. The music behind the door stops and is replaced my panting and mumbling. I take a steo back and flinch as the door nervously creaks open.

Taehyung pokes his head out with a curious face that immediately brightens. "Ahri!" he chimes as he opens the door and his arms.

I feel a surge of comfort as I give him a friendly hug. He then turns around and enthusiatically announces my arrival. "She brought food!" he adds.

Jimin enthusiastically takes the bags away from me in exchange with a thank you, and begins lavishing the plastic cartons out on the floor. I catch Namjoon and Yoongi's looks but ignore them. I'll just try act normal.

Hoseok watches nervously. His eyes flickering in my direction full of suspicion. I feel like I'm being visually interrogated. I wipe the sweat of my palms on my jeans and take a seat on the floor when the food's been laid out.

They all dig in except Hoseok who hesitantly looks my way. 

"Help yourself," I insist. It looked like he wouldn't eat without my approval. Usually he'd start picking on the food before it's even taken out of the bag. 

 He nods his head politely and whispers a thank you.

I'm sitting between Jimin and Yoongi. Taehyung lifts his eyes, his body still leaning over his food, and gives Jimin, who's sitting fairly opposite him, a knowing look. In response Jimin turns to Hoseok and through a mouthful suggests they swap places.

"Why?" Hoseok replies bluntly.

Jimin frowns then rubs the back of his neck. "I want to sit next to Jungkook!" he says. Hoseok just stares back at him so Jimin picks up his plate and walks around to him. He lightly kicks his back, "Move!"

Hoseok waves a hand at him, threatening to slap his legs. "This kid!" he hisses then points at Seokjin who sits on the other side of the gap. "Hyung move over so Jimin can sit next to Jungkook!"

Jin's head snaps to me with an uneasy look. I shrug and poke at my food some more. This was getting uncomfortable for everyone.

"Hyung!" Jimin whinges as he kicks him in the back again. "Let's swap places!" 

"Alright!" Hoseok scowls and reluctantly moves into the slot between Jin and I. He turns to me and politely nods his head so I do the same.

Then silence falls. I can feel them all exchange looks. Silently questioning and urging each other to do something.

I barely eat and when I do bring food to my mouth it's a crumb of blandness.

"Ahri," Yoongi murmurs as he lightly nudges me.

I look at him with the closest expression of happy curiousity I can manage.

He leans slightly on my shoulder and motions at my plate. "Eat more."

I almost break down. This jerk. He knows that's what Hoseok does.

I immediately get up. Their heads shoot up with me. I stare down at my food until my vision blurs.

"Ahri?"

I wipe my eyes before a tear falls then rush out of the practice room. Murmurs of my name rush after me before I shut the door.


My legs don't take me far. I only make it to the end of the hall, a turn before the exit, before collapsing to the ground. "Idiot," I mutter, "Yoongi that idiot!" I purse my lips, pleading the tears not to fall. They swell up in my eyes until everything is distorted and blurry. I curl into a ball, arms crossed and knees tucked beneath my chin.

I hear the light tapping of shoes. They slow to a stop as they approach me. Their breathing sounds closer as they sit beside me. It sounds like

"You"

I  hesitantly lift my head from my arms, peeking through my hair. Hoseok stares in front of him and sits a good meter away. He feels distant and I would beg for the gap between us to close if I didn't already look so much like a fool. He then glances at me but seeing I'm looking back he drops his look. It feels oddly nostalgic, his nervous look.

"You," he repeats, "were the one at the hospital that day."

I look away and stare at the wall in front of us. "Yeah."

"You," he hesitates, "aren't my sister's friend, ay?"

I could say we get along, you've introduced me to her and go through it all. "Yeah," I reply.

"You," he pauses and coughs lightly. He softens his voice and says unsurely, "you were my girlfriend..." he then turns to me, "right?"

I bite my lip. 'Were?' I take a ragged breath in. I can't look at him. I press my chin against my arm. "I guess so." It hurts to admit his use of past tense.

I can tell he's nodding. His clothing crunches and I can see him get up and shuffle his feet from the corner of my eyes. Then something is wrapped around my shoulders. The pressure of his hands is familiar and comforting. 

I look up in surprise. Hoseok stands in front of me with an uncertain expression with his lower arms exposed. "It's cold, this is my way of saying thank you for the food," he explains, "Make sure to come visit again." He's about to leave but turns back and adds, "to-to give me back my jumper...that is..." He purses his lips and rubs the back of his neck before swiftly returning to the practice room.

I blink, gaping at where he was. I press my lips into a weak smile. "You..." I shake my head and wrap his jacket around me tighter. It radiates his heat and smells faintly of cologne and sweat.