Job Hunting

The Fraternity

"So coffee again I see," Sehun said from the other side of the table as he sipped on his second bubble tea of the afternoon.

Luhan placed his drink down as he said, "You know, it's not as bad as you think. You should try it for a change."

 Pondering at the thought Sehun replied, "I may take you up on that offer," but upon seeing Luhan's hopeful gaze he added, "when I'm in the mood to incinerate my tongue with such bitterness," which made Luhan's face make a complete 180.

For the past couple of weeks, this would be their routine. After their morning class, the duo would promptly meet at the same spot on campus and discuss (more like bicker) on where they would want to go eat. Most of the time they would go to some place new. However, if they couldn't come to an agreement, they'd compromise for the same bakery. After that, they both wouldn't see each other until dinner at their house. Mostly because Sehun goes straight home after classes whereas Luhan waits for Baekhyun and they would discuss about whatever occurred that day.

When they walked through the door of their home, they placed their bags on the floor as they went upstairs with their books to complete their required assignments of the day. The room was silent with an exception of the constant typing on their laptops until Baekhyun spoke up.

"Hey Lu, how come I never see you on campus for lunch?"

Luhan took his eyes off his computer screen to look at Baekhyun, "Oh that's because I usually have lunch with Sehun--"

"BAHAHAHAHAHAHA," Baekhyun started laughing uncontrollably while flailing his arms on the bed. "Ah, you're funny Lu," he said as he wiped a tear from his eye from laughing so hard, "now what's the real reason."

Luhan shrugged while continuing to type his paper, "I don't see what's wrong with it."

"Really? You, probably the friendliest one in this house, having lunch with antisocial Sehun?"

"He's actually not as bad as you think. Sure, he makes snarky remarks whenever he can, always sports a blank expression on his face, and always seems uninterested unless he's drinking bubble tea and yeah I don't know where I'm going with this. Wait, has he always been like that?"

 With this, Baekhyun stared at the ceiling as he thought about the question for a moment, "I'd like to say not. The only reason he joined Delta Psi was because he was trying to-"

Baekhyun was interrupted when Kyungsoo peeked his head into the room, "Dinner is ready, so come down whenever, and we all need to have a meeting so it's best to come down now."

Both nodded as they followed Kyungsoo down the stairs, taking the only seats left at the table. While everyone began to ate, Kyungsoo spoke up.

"Now as you may know, the end of the month is approaching, which means the rent is due. For the past couple of months I've been able to make ends meet by spending my salary from a part time job I had in the summer. However, I only have just enough to support us by the end of this month. Which means one thing; I need at least three of you to get part time jobs. I'll let all of you discuss it amongst yourselves, I just need an answer by tomorrow night."

After that, the pledges just continued to casually talk during dinner, recalling the events that occurred during the day. After some laughs were shared, everyone took part in helping to clean, much to Kyungsoo's approval. The pledges then dispersed, some going to their rooms whereas others sat comfortably in the living and browsed through the movie selections available on Netflix.

Luhan and Baekhyun were in their room when Chanyeol decided to join them talking about the job proposition.

"I think it'll be great if we all get a job at the same place," Chanyeol said optimistically.

"What are the odds that there would be three job openings at the exact same place? I mean c'mon that's too coincidental," Baekhyun said as he tried to bring the topic back into a more realistic perspective.

"Well it wouldn't hurt if we tried. We can tell Kyungsoo tomorrow morning that we're interested and we have the rest of the weekend to look for something," Luhan said.

 "Hmm, true. Let's tell him now though. Soo come here!" Baekhyun shouted in the direction of the closed door hoping for a response. Luckily, he heard footsteps coming in the direction of their room.

"You called?" Kyungsoo asked as he walked into the room. 

"Yeah, Kyung we're interested in getting jobs to help support you and the fraternity in general," Chanyeol said a tad bit over excitedly.

"Wait, all three of you? I don't think that's necessary," Kyungsoo asked as he switched his gaze to the other two boys in the room.

"I actually think it's a great idea, it gives us a chance to learn about financial responsibility with the responsibilities of balancing school work with a job. Plus, with all the extra money we earn after we pay for the rent, we can treat all of our brothers to something nice, like a road trip," Luhan proposed.

Baekhyun's eyes widened at his roomate's quick thinking and plausible explanation and added, "Yeah Soo, it won't be a problem for us. We'll start looking right away."

"I suppose Luhan is right. And it will be a whole lot easier to pay the rent and bills and have more left over so that we can treat ourselves. Alright, carry on, try and find something next week," Kyungsoo said happily as he started to walk out of the room.

"Wahhh thank you Kyunggie!!" Chanyeol said as he practically pounced and tackled Kyungsoo is a suffocating bear hug.

"Yahh get off of me you oaf!" Kyungsoo shouted as he hoisted Chanyeol off of his body.

Suddenly, someone sprinted down the hall and barged into the room, "What happened?!" Tao said frantically as he had a metal baseball bat in his hands, threatening to swing at any moment.

"Just Chanyeol being an idiot and Kyungsoo being irritable," Baekhyun said nonchalantly as he laid down on the bed.

"It's nothing Tao, Chanyeol got over excited that the three of us can help around the house by finding a job," Luhan said. 

"Oh...carry on then," Tao said as he lowered the bat, slowly retreating back to his room. 

 Trying to clear the awkward air out of the room Luhan said, "I think that'll be all Kyungsoo, thank you again."

Kyungsoo shook his head, "I should be thanking you guys. I thought I would have to lecture everyone on rules and responsibilities and would have to end up randomly picking someone to work. Thank you for taking that weight off of me. It's getting late, I'm assuming you guys want to rest before you go look for work tomorrow. Goodnight guys."

"Night," the trio chorused as Kyungsoo nodded in acknowledgement and left. 

Chanyeol stretched his arms and yawned as he said, "I should be heading back too. Wouldn't want Sehun to get lonely."

Baekhyun playfully rolled his eyes as he said, "He's probably asleep. I don't know how someone can just live off of constant napping and eating. But whatever helps you sleep at night. Night Yeol." 

"Haha night guys," Chanyeol said as he left the room.

"Well I guess it's just us Luha--" Baekhyun stopped as he noticed his roomate passed out on the bed. 

"Well goodnight to you too," he directed towards Luhan's sleeping figure.

 

 

The next morning the three of them had awoken fairly early. Luhan propped himself down in the living room on the couch with a newspaper in hand as the other two followed suit. He pulled out the Classifieds section and began to browse through any local job openings. Now it was all process of elimination. They'd cross out the jobs that had either long hours, we're completely inexperienced with or were too far to commute to. 

 "Now explain why we can't work as models for Abercrombie who greet people by the door?" It's easy money and seems fitting.

Baekhyun hit Chanyeol in the head with the rolled up newspaper, "Because people at Abercrombie are depicted as athletic and muscular guys. Not some lanky giant who spends his time binge watching shows on Netflix for hours at a time. And plus, it's what we all want to do." 

"What's going on here," Xiumin asked as he walked down the stairs.

Luhan placed the newspaper on the table before responding, "Nothing much. Just looking for a part time job that requires little to no experience whatsoever, has appropriate hours, isn't that far and has three openings total," he finished as he sighed.

"Oh there's a pizzeria that's right down the block. The owner is actually my cousin. He's been looking for some help and he actually trains the workers," Xiumin explained as he poured himself some cereal.

"That's awesome Xiumin, thank you so much," Luhan said gleefully. 

"Not a problem, I can call him in a bit and put in a good word for all of you."

"Thanks Xiumin! I'd come and hug you but I don't want Tao coming down here with his bat again."

Xiumin stepped back quickly before adding, "Oh no no no, that won't be necessary. I practically heard Kyungsoo fall yesterday after your so called 'hug'. But I appreciate the gratefulness."

"Thank you Xiumin. If it weren't for you, Chanyeol would probably be getting a membership to a gym to work at Abercrombie," Baekhyun said. 

"Uh, well I'm glad I prevented that," Xiumin said awkwardly as he continued to eat his cereal so ending the conversation. 

 

While everyone was gathered in the living room indulging in a comedy, Xiumin's phone rang. He excused himself into the kitchen. Moments later he called in Luhan.

"Mr. Lu?" a man asked on the other line.

"Yes, speaking. May I help you?"

"Haha well its sort of the other way around in this situation. You see, your friend Xiumin has told me quite a bit about you guys. To put it bluntly, I'd love it if you guys worked here. No resumé is required, no experience. Are you interested?"

Luhan gripped the phone tightly and internally squealed because he was so excited, "Of course! When should we start?"

"Does Monday 2 o'clock work for you?"

"That's perfect. My friends and I don't have an afternoon class so it's not a problem. 

"That's great to hear. I'll see the three of you on Monday."

 

A/N- hello~~ sorry I haven't updated in a while :/ anywaysssss

Story seems to calm at the moment. Be prepared to expect some drama in the next chap :)