Getting Acquainted

The Fraternity

Luhan was the first to wake up the next morning. Still in a morning daze, he rubbed his eyes with his closed fist and got up slowly. He rolled over and checked his alarm clock that read 6 a.m. He wasn't one to wake up this early, however, considering that he was exposed to this new "environment" seemed plausible. 

With a final stretch, he forced all of his weight to move to the other side of the bed landing feet first on the floor. His stomach then growled, indicating the real reason on why he woke up at the crack of dawn. Slowly trudging down the stairs he went to go eat breakfast. Strangely, he found an empty bowl with a box of cereal next to it. He found a note attached to the bowl.

Hope you enjoyed your first day here. If you find this, help yourself to some breakfast. We have a big day ahead of us. ~Kyung

A smile spread across Luhan's face without noticing. He reminded himself to thank Kyungsoo later for his consideration. Placing the note aside, he went to the fridge to get some milk for his cereal. After slowly eating his cereal, he ended up passing out on the couch, realizing that he did in fact wake up too early beyond his standards. 

Three hours later, the first thing Luhan saw was a pair of eager eyes staring at him. This made Luhan startled and ended up headbutting Baekhyun by mistake. This resulted in a slur of curses (not directed at Luhan, just the pain seemed unbearable). After a bunch of apologies, Baekhyun then collected himself and talked to his roommate. 

"Aish, you sure are hard headed. Anyway, you weren't in the room and hour ago, I thought you got sick."

"I was in the room, I just woke up early. Came down here to have breakfast then I fell back asleep."

"Kyungsoo is waiting for you in the kitchen, he says it's something important."

"Thanks Baek, I'll be right there."

After about a minute of stretching, Luhan went to the kitchen where he saw Kyungsoo sitting at the round table with a timer on top.

"Oh good, you're awake. I'm assuming Baekhyun told you to come here?" Kyungsoo asked.

"Yupp, he said it was important."

Kyungsoo smiled and shook his head, "It's nothing that urgent but today is necessary."

Still confused, Luhan pointed at the timer.

"Now that you're an official pledge, it's time you get to know everyone. We could do formal introductions, but where's the fun in that? It's time that you get to know everyone and everyone gets to know you."

"I see. But what's the timer for?"

"Each person will have a certain amount of time to explain to you about what's unique about them. Each round will consist of a different question. Think of it as speed dating without the pressure of choosing a person."

Luhan nodded his head in understanding "Okay I got it. This can be interesting. Nine different people with nine different answers."

"Exactly, it gives you a chance to remember everyone. It also gives you an opportunity to be close with everyone, this prevents awkwardness when we go on trips and have to split up into groups." 

"Alright, when is this going to happen?"

Kyungsoo looked at his watch "Around after lunch, you'll need the energy."

Although not as intimidating as his initiation, Luhan was anxious for this "meet and greet." What if he sounds abrupt or makes a bad first impression with someone. It is to be expected though, due to the timed rounds. However, the thought still bothered him. After all, it would be bad if he was on awkward terms with someone and the first semester hasn't even began yet.

After everyone ate lunch, Luhan was forced to go upstairs to his room while everything was being set up. He grabbed his scrambled rubik's cube from his nightstand and started to play around with it. After successfully solving the puzzle multiple times, a knock sounded against his door and within a second later, Baekhyun's head peeked in.

"We're ready for you, Lu."

Setting his puzzle cube back on his nightstand, he went downstairs and followed Baekhyun. There, was a sight he didn't expect. A wide velvet red curtain was draped across the kitchen entrance. Pushing the curtain aside, he found Kyungsoo in a simple tee shirt and blazer, much like a game show host. Before he could say anything, the "host" sat him down at the round table. "Now, this may seem over the top, but we just want to make this interesting for you. And you're probably going to ask about the curtain, Chanyeol bought it last week thinking that we can have a frat talent show every once in a while." Kyungsoo then reached behind him to pull out a bowl that had torn up pieces of paper inside. "Inside here are the questions that will be asked each round. When the timer stops, it's on to the next contestant."

Luhan then closed his eyes and randomly picked a question from the bowl. When he unwrapped the piece of paper to find his question for the round.

Hobbies and Interests

It's a good way to start off things, I guess, Luhan thought to himself. 

"You're answer, Mr. Lu?" Kyungsoo asked with an amusing smirk on his face.

Smiling to himself, Luhan thought about it for a moment. "Personally, I prefer the outdoors. My hobbies mostly pertain around sports such as soccer, hiking and track. I also participate in indoor activities such as watching tv or playing video games. That's pretty much it."

Kyungsoo nodded "Interesting answer Mr. Lu, but let's see what our contestants have to say about that." Kyungsoo dragged the curtain away, revealing all of the pledges lined up all the way to the living room. Due to no actual walls or doors being present, they all heard Luhan's answer. He was slightly relieved that he didn't have to answer the same question multiple times. Instead, he'll just be listening to multiple different answers.

Of course, his roommate Baekhyun was the first one to approach the table and give his answer. "Usually I spend my time looking up funny videos, and things that are currently trending. Every now and then I like to sing, that's only when I'm alone. I think that's all." With a shrug, he walked out and Chanyeol came in and sat across from Luhan, making sure to reset the timer. 

"Damn I only have two minutes? Might as well make the best of it. Well, I usually spend my time on tumblr ranting about God knows what. I run a blog on my favorite animes. But theres always this guy that comments and spoils everything because I'm a season behind. When I thought I've finally blocked him, he creates another account and does the same thing. Annoying, right? Okay, lets talk about something else. Sometimes I'm too happy but that's a good thing, right? The pledges here do call me happy virus for a reason, mostly because of my big smile. Hey, there's this cool show that I watched the other day, it's about---" Before Chanyeol could finish, the timer went off, indicating the end of the round for him. 

Next contestant was Yixing. He cautiously took his seat and gave a dimpled smile before answering the question hesitantly. "Ah let's see. There are times when I just don't want to be surrounded by people and I usually relax by playing on my guitar and composing music. Other times I seem very quiet and reserced. I'll make it in my best effort to start taking more. Hopefully we can hang out soon Luhan." With a smile, he exited the room where immediately and over enthusiastic Chen came in. 

"This may be over fairly quickly because I just chugged an extra large slurpee from 7/11 when Kyungsoo suddenly said we all have to participate. I indulge my time in trolling Chanyeol on tumblr by telling him all the spoilers of his favorite animes. He still diesnt know its me. He thinks he's so smart in blocking me, but I have back up accounts. Other than that, I have a fun time messing with people and inserting bad puns into everyday conversation. Well, I'm done here." He then sprinted up the stairs, to the bathroom, Luhan guessed.

The last of the people had fairly short responses. Xiumin enjoys watching television, Kris has an interest in astronomy and cosmetics, Tao is an expert on martial arts and likes Gucci, Kai has a passion in dancing. Last but not least was Sehun for the first round. 

He approached the chair with a blank expression. And thought about the question. 

Dammit Oh, for once in your life don't be a .

Quietly collecting himself, Sehun tried his best to answer the question. "I usually spend my time power napping, I don't get out much but I don't mind. Socializing isn't exactly my forte. My favorite activity is going out for bubble tea."

Sehun then slowly exited the curtain, and left Luhan shocked. Shocked because he thought that Sehun wasn't capable of being that nice so quickly.

Kyungsoo quickly handed Luhan the bowl once again to choose the next question. 

Pet peeves? 

"Hey Kyung, why aren't you answering anything?"

"That's because you can get to know me whenever. We pretty much talk everyday, don't we?"

"Oh of course. To answer the question, a major pet peeve of mine is people who are so overly arrogant that they treat the people below them on the social ladder like trash. I'm a big supporter on equality for everyone."

"That's very touching Lu, let's see what the contestants hate too."

Luhan got different answers from everyone. There were things that he didn't even think about that can be considered pet peeeves. Responses such as toilet paper rolls set up backwards, websites with horizontal scrolling, and even people who leave their Christmas lights until April. 

This then concluded the end of the second round, the third round however said to explain yourself as an ideal type. "I guess I can be outgoing. I'm aware when someone needs space, however, I'd like to help best I can if they're struggling. Then there are times when I'm really talkative, mostly occurs when a topic I like comes up. I guess that's me in a nutshell." 

Once again, most of the guys went by quickly, and before he knew it, it was Sehun's turn to speak. "I'm really the quiet type. I at masking my emotions. So if someone says or does something I don't like, I can't brush it off as if it's nothing. Probably just instincts I guess. But yeah, that's all." 

Luhan found that answer to be really interesting. He knew that the quiet pledge liked to keep to himself, but he had no idea that he was very blunt. To be honest, Luhan respected Sehun's honesty. 

Kyungsoo showed up once again to announce something to Luhan. "For this final round, you just have to answer the question. Probably seems like a lot for now to take all in this new information about all of us. So here's your final question; are you currently looking to have a relationship? Why or why not?"

Luhan took time to absorb the question and come up with an answer, "Um, I'm currently not looking into a relationship at the moment for...reasons. I'm more focused on my studies." 

That was the conclusion of the final round. With a round of applause, Kyungsoo told Luhan he was free to do whatever for the rest of the day. 

That night, Kyungsoo made everyone ddeokbokki for dinner. As usual, the ones who wanted to relax just stayed in the living room watching Netflix whereas some others went back to their rooms. Luhan, however was feeling really tired and wanted to go upstairs and Baekhyun followed soon after. When they got to their room, they were reflecting about the days events and they shared some laughs about the responses they've heard. 

"Hey Lu, can I ask you a question?"

"Sure, anything."

"What exactly were your reasons for not wanting a relationship? I'm just curious."

Luhan let out a sigh because he knew this wasn't going to be easy. "I hope you don't mind listening to this story, because it may take a while."

"Of course Lu," Baekhyun gave him a genuine sympathetic look.

Trying to control the lump in his throat, Luhan began his story.

"I used to study in Korea back in the day because that's where my father's company he worked for was located. Before high school, I lived in China. By my second year in high school I was fluent in Korean. It was the same year when a new kid came. I didn't think much of it because there's new kids every year and they eventually find their clique within the first week. About half a year in, this kid still didn't have any friends. I wanted to do something about it. I realized that he was in the same lunch period as me, so I decided to sit at the same table as him. Of course, he was surprised since no one sat at his half of the table. I introduced myself right away and he eventually did too. He was extremely shy at first but started coming out of his shell slowly. About a month later, we were best friends. We'd always hang out at the arcade or multiple bakeries. After a while I got this unsettling feeling whenever I was around him. I was so dense at first then realized that I started to develop feelings for him. I knew I had to do something about it. That summer, I confessed to him. He was shocked at first because he had harboring feelings too. By the end of Summer, we were official, all of our friends knew about us and accepted us. I can't say the same about the people at school but we didn't care. Everything was just great..."

Baekhyun was staring at a nearby wall taking this all in "Then what happened?"

Tears started streaming down Luhan's face but he immediately wiped them, "Our one year anniversary was approaching, we made so many plans for that day. Granted, it was a week before and we were really excited."

"What happened afterwards?"

"He disappeared without a trace."

 

 

 

A/N hey guys :D so that just happened. what do u guys think of Luhan's past? Sorry for not updating sooner :/ I can't wait to write out the next chap. But I'll let this sink in. As always, tell me on what I can improve on or what u want to see :D see you next chap~~