The Cake

Lavender Marriage

It was the evening after the first appointment. Back to the nice spacious loft their parents had bought to them, the couple made of Suzy and Kunpimook were about to have dinner. Just like any couple, they talked and laughed together. They even cooked together and slept in the same bed. But of course, what would a regular couple do in this story? Both in the kitchen, the pair was trying out a new recipe they had found on the internet, while having a conversation about their upcoming wedding — that was a very recurring subject those days. 

"You know what," started Suzy, "I want to have our wedding on an island."

"On the beach!" added her fiancé. "That would be so nice. I would want that, if…"

A gloomy silence followed, but Suzy broke it. "Me too. But don't worry. I know one day we'll be free. And we're lucky…"

She approached him and patted his back. "We're friends. Unlike a lot of real couples."

They both giggled and got back to "cooking". Indeed, they were the only thing they had and they did cherish each other — just not the way people in love would. Sometimes, Kunpimook wished he could love Suzy, as she was his best friend and the most caring person he had ever met. But they were both trapped in this marriage. as much as they liked each other. And Suzy, she had seen this coming for a long moment before their parents mentionned the subject of marriage to her. She knew they just wouldn't let her be free, and she wasn't the first in her circle of acquaintances. Of course they were going to choose a man to marry their unworthy daughter, so that she could at least have an "honorable familial life". So she had prepared for a husband. She had prepared for her "wifely duties". But now, she was glad the man they chose was just as lost and trapped as her, because they didn't expect anything from each other. They were best friends. They supported each other and loved each other, as a family. 

That night, both of them had knots in their stomach. Maybe they realized this was real, that they were getting married. It wasn't at all like a marriage was supposed to be. There had been no first date and no proposal. So until their first appointment with the bridal consultants, Suzy and Kunpimook hadn't realized quite what was going to happen to them. 

Lying on their bed, the couple was in the dark, trying to get some sleep before another day of wedding planning.

"Are you asleep?" asked Kunpimook to his fiancée.

"Of course not. How can I sleep? I keep thinking of the future. Our future," replied faintly the tired woman.

"That's right, our future. I know it's not what we wanted, but I'll always be there for you, don't forget that," said Kunpimook in an attempt to make her worry less. 

"I know. Me too. But there's something that… really, really scares me," whispered Suzy with a broken voice. 

Kunpimook got closer to her and caressed her cold shoulder. "I think I know."

He could hear a quiet sobbing and immdiatly pulled Suzy closer and took her in his arms. Kunpimook was there to reassure her, but he wasn't reassured himself. He knew she was afraid because eventually, their parents would expect something else from them. Something life-changing that they did not want. and that was not the right way to do it — that was not the right way to start a family.

 

The next appointment at the bridal consultant was less stressful. The couple had gotten up early to make sure they weren't late, as if they really wanted to go there. They were all sitting in his office when Jackson decided that this time, it was time to talk about something that would make the couple happy: the food. Immeditaly, Suzy smiled and her eyes brightened. Before anyone got to say anything, she excitedly began:

"I was thinking about a very tall chocolate cake — say, five levels — with strawberries and--"

"Miss Bae," cut Jackson, "maybe we should discuss the cake last, don't you think? We usually start off with the--"

"I don't care," said Suzy with a sharp voice. "This is my only wedding. And we're gonna talk about the damn cake I want, right now."

Kunpimook stared at her awkwardly. But the lady was keeping a straight face and Jackson, petrified, felt he should listen to her.

"Well," continued Suzy, "let's do this."

Her tone was nervous but at the same time, she made the two men feel frightened, like a bomb about to blow.

 

After an hour or so, the appointment was finally over and Suzy immediatly excused herself. In the office were left Jackson and Kunpimook, who was about to leave. But as his client was putting on his coat, Jackson couldn't help but think about the lavender marriage Fei talked about. He tried really hard not to ask, but his curiosity was too strong. So just before Kunpimook walked out, Jackson called him.

"M. Bhuwakul?"

M. Bhuwakul stopped and nervously turned at his bridal consultant. "Yes?"

"Your fiancée seems a bit upset, uh?" he asked as an icebreaker.

"Um… yeah, she had a hard week," answered a shy Kunpimook.

Their gaze met for a second. It was awkward but they didn't look away before Jackson finally tried to come to his point.

"I was wondering, hum… You know, as a bridal consultant all I want is my clients to be happy and…"

"Jackson," suddenly cut a feminine voice. "I think another couple is waiting for you."

The men both jumped with surprise. Of course, it was Fei who had heard what Jackson was trying to say. She had mysteriously appeared in front of them, with her serious face on. And she wasn't going to let her partner be so unprofessional. 

Jackson glared at her. "Right. We should go."

Kunpimook sensed the tension in the air and quickly disappeared, excusing himself as well to go find his fiancée. After that, Fei took Jackson by the arm inside his office and closed the door.

"How could you even think about asking him that?" she angrily asked. 

Jackson sighed, sitting on his desk. "Why do you care?"

"I'm trying not to lose our clients, that's why. And you know we don't get emotionally involved."

She suddely seemed less confident and looked away. Jackson wasn't a fool. 

"So this is what it's all about," he said with an almost malicious voice. "I'm not you, Feifei."

Fei was about to reply but no words would come out of , so Jackson got up and left the room, leaving her alone. 

 

Meanwhile, Kunpimook was still looking for his fiancée in the halls of the building. He had checked the ladies' bathroom and she was nowhere to be found. Eventually, he found himself in the waiting room, where Suzy wasn't either. The room wasn't empty though; two men were sitting and talking, without even noticing Kunpimook's presence. He didn't know it at that moment, but it was Sehun and Zitao, the clients from earlier.

"Also you know what, since there are going to be kids at the wedding, I think we should have appropriate drinks," said Sehun.

"Oh please, you just want bubble tea for yourself," exasperatedly replied the other.

Kunpimook had a painful feeling in his chest, because he figured they were probably another couple that was going to get married. And they were both men. It felt as if he stumbled across them just so he was showed what he could never have. 

Eventually, the couple noticed the still man in the room with them. Sehun raised an eyebrow at him.

"You know you can sit," he pointed out. 

Kunpimook suddenly realized that he had creepily stared at the pair for too long. "I-I'm sorry, I'm looking for, um, my girlfriend…"

There was then a silence during which both Zitao and Sehun looked at him up and down, making him self concious a bit. 

"Right," finally said Zitao, looking away.

What are you implying? He knew what the stranger was implying. Is it really that obvious? It was. And that made Kunpimook think about how all this was ridiculous. He meant to say something to Zitao, but a feminine voice surprised him — again.

"Oh, Kun, I was looking for you," said Suzy, who had appeared at the door mysteriously.

"Damn," let out Sehun, who got nudged by his fiancé. 

Suzy frowned and took her man by the arm, getting them out of the waiting room. 

 

* * *

A. N: tbh I was planning to make the chapters longer, but I don't think I will because I prefer writing them short! I hope you don't mind. Bises!