Wars – Part 1

Lavender Marriage

Fei was a really serious business woman. She didn't have time for silly stories like Jackson, no, she knew how to focus. If she let herself be invested in something else, how could she be the best she possibly could at her work? One time she forgot that, and she regreted every day she had been so weak. So when Jackson began showing some interest in their client's story, she knew it was a red flag. She knew they should never get personally invested with clients, even a little, because there was no way it could end happily. And so, she had always kept an eye on her partner, because she was the cement that kept their business together, and that role suited her well. Jackson though that Fei was overreacting, that he hadn't even done anything too crazy. He was just curious about that one couple, and also, he was concerned about the whole lavender marriage thing. How could Fei expect him not to say antything when he was helping two people forced into marriage to organize their wedding? That was inhumane to him. But although Fei wasn't heartless, she told herself she couldn't help them anyway, and that she shouldn't mind other people's business. 

After a long day of work, Fei got in her car and rode home. Her appartment was decorated very minimalsitcly, with class and a lot of fair colors. She took off her high heels and her expensive clothes and changed into a pair of sweatpants and a comfortable t-shirt. Then she sat in front of the TV and let herself be absorbed a bit, not thinking about anything for a while. But the doorbell interrupted her, and she lazily got up to answer. 

When she opened the door, she saw someone she didn't expect to see.

"Hey!" a young man said with a smile.

"What are you doing here?" the woman answered with a calm voice.

"You're not happy to see your boyfriend?" the guy answered with a smirk. "You must be tired. Sorry to show up now, I missed you."

Fei restrained herself from sighing and let him in. She really needed to rest a bit alone, and she didn't like when people saw her dressed like she was. The boy sat on the couch, Fei joining him a few seconds later.

"I didn't know you liked cartoons," he commented when he saw the TV.

"Yeah."

"So… How are you doing?"

"Fine… I'm very busy with work these days. A lot of people want to get married."

"I understand…"

A little silence—well, you could hear the cartoon's characters talking—followed. 

"But still, you didn't even text me in a week," the boy complained.

"Listen Mark," Fei sighed, "I'm sorry, I'm just so tired, I don't really have time."

"Alright, alright… How about we go out someday soon? You must have at least a day off, right?"

The woman knew she was trapped. So she agreed and thought, after all, it wasn't going to be so bad. Mark was her boyfriend, so she should be excited. But no matter how hard she tried, there was always something bugging her; no matter how much she wanted to forget, there was someone Mark could never replace. Sometimes she thought maybe she dated him only to fool herself into thinking she could love again. After all, maybe she was heartless…

Mark didn't leave until 11pm. They had a long discussion, but he was doing most of the talking. Fei didn't have much to share with Mark. When he left, the house became silencious again, and she was left with her thoughts. She laid down on the couch, stared at the ceiling and thought about the lavender marriage; they were trapped in a relationship neither of them wanted and they couldn't change that, and she felt like her realtionship with Mark was kind of the same. Perhaps she didn't care about them because she wasn't an hypocrit. 

* * *

Suzy was dressed to kill. The double date was happenning soon, and the girl didn't feel nervous at all. Instead, Kunpimook had a knot in his stomach. Unlike his fiancée, he wasn't too sure about the dinner; the other couple was kind of scary and Suzy began to be too. The poor boy felt like he was thrown into the lions' cage. But after all, all he wanted was for Suzy to be happy, and if a beach could please her, then they needed to do anything to get it. 

"Come on, we're gonna be late," Kunpimook called Suzy who was in the bathroom.

"Fashionably late!" the woman commented. 

Meanwhile, the other couple was getting ready as well. 

"I don't know if I should dress too nicely, they'll think I care about what they think," Tao said to Sehun.

"If you don't care about what they think, then you should dress however you want," he answered calmly.

"Mhm. I look good in expensive clothes."

Sehun wasn't too fierce about this competition. He just wanted to marry his fiancé, wether it be in a crappy or wonderful place. But he thought, a little competiton couldn't hurt anybody.

Finally, after half an hour or so, they arrived at the restaurant. Suzy and Kunpimook weren't there yet. When they eventually joined Sehun and Tao, the latter didn't miss an opportunity to make a comment about it.

"We have a very busy life," Suzy answered with a smile. "I'm sure you have enough time to wait for us for a bit."

"Right," Kunpimook said nervously. "Um, so, how are you?"

"We're fine, thank you," Tao answered without breaking his eye contact with Suzy. "No need for small talk. We all know why we're here."

Sehun gave Kunpimook an understanding look. He knew the poor boy was probably terrified.

"Alright…," Sehun said softly. "Well, first of all, why don't you explain why you want the beach at all costs?"

Suzy cracked her knuckles. She was ready. She had prepared her arguments before coming, so she was sure she had a better reason than them.