Double Wedding

Lavender Marriage

When Jackson came to work that day, he didn't expect to have a double appointment with two familiar couples. Fei was waiting for him already, and informed him that the customers wanted to tell them something. Of course, he knew about the beach issue; so he thought, they were probably going to find an arrangement that day. And so he went in his office with Fei and the couples were there, looking up at them when they came in. After polite greetings, Kunpimook announced their arrangement: if no one was going to abandon the beach—and they had discussed a lot to determine that would be cruel—, then both the couples should be able to get married on it. Their marriages were already "unusual" to some, so why follow traditional rules that are only annoying to everyone? After their double date, Suzy, Kunpimook, Sehun and Tao all agreed that they should never be slaves of the society, and so they decided to have a double wedding. That's right, a double wedding. Maybe they had drunk a little too much wine, maybe they had been carried away by the emotion after that animated dinner, but no one had changed their mind yet. 

Jackson and Fei had had a lot of special demands in their career, but that was a first. Fei already saw all the difficulties of such a wedding—or should I say weddings—in her head: how many people would be there? How would they go about the cake? Two cakes? Two ceremonies next to each other or just one? Wouldn't't it… awkward? To her, the idea was silly and complicated. She told herself, why couldn't one of those couple just find another damn place, instead of being special little snowflakes? On the other hand, Jackson was a bit disturbed by the idea of organizing a lavender marriage and a same marriage at the same time. Wasn't that weird? 

"That's too complicated to organize," Fei objected.

"We'll pay you more," Zitao informed slyly. 

Jackson looked at his partner. She didn't seem to have changed her mind.

"Money isn't the problem sir," she calmly replied. "We're sorry but we do not provide this kind of—"

"Ma'am," Kunpimook suddenly said, "this is very important to us. We've discussed about it, and… And if we can't have our weddings this way, then we'll have to go to an other agency."

That did bother Fei. She never had never lost a customer. So she excused herself and took Jackson with her, telling the couples they needed to have a private talk. The two of them were in the hall outside Jackson's office and Fei looked distressed.

"This is a catastrophe," she declared dramatically.

"Don't overreact!" Jackson told her, amused. "What if we… did as they told?"

The woman couldn't believe her ears. Was Jackson that unprofessional? He was letting his emotions take control again, and he was forgetting that was a very hard to accomplish project. 

"I mean," Jackson added, "you don't want us to have the reputation of being the bridal consultants who couldn't do it, right? They'll go somewhere else and everyone will know about it. Don't you want to be known as the woman who could make any wedding happen?"

"But then people will ask us weird weddings all the time," Fei complained.

"Come on Fei, it's not even that complicated. Let's give those people a bit of joy."

Fei thought about it for a second. Maybe Jackson was right, maybe she could do it. After all, she was a very serious business woman and she was afraid of nothing. At least, that's what she told herself everyday. Maybe this time was a chance to prove it to herself. Of course, she knew Jackson was influenced, because that whole forced-into-marriage thing was really affecting him, and he probably wanted to help the couple in his way, by giving them at least the ceremony they wanted; but that didn't matter, because a bridal consultant's job wasn't to refuse their customers' wishes anyway. 

The partners came back into the room where the couples were waiting for them with good news. When Suzy heard that, yes, they were going to have that double wedding, she was thrilled. All she had ever wanted was to have a wedding the way she wanted it to be, on that beach, and that was possible. On Kunpimook's side, he was happy that Suzy's wish was granted, but he was scared too. Now, the whole marriage waiting for him had become real. It wasn't a distant project anymore: they had a date, they had a place, and all that was left was to add the animations and all that stuff. The most important was decided, and Kunpimook felt like he was caught up by his destiny. So while the others were cheering because they were happy to have found an arrangement, he was smiling faintly and thinking that he was soon going to be a husband to a woman he saw as his sister, his neighbor during war, his best friend. He could already see his parents satisfied expressions, when he was going to say "I do", and he could already hear them asking him when he was going to give them grandchildren. Suddenly, he didn't understand why Suzy was happy. The minute the bridal consultants had entered the room, his nightmare had started. All of that was just an illusion, a nice wedding was just a cover to a much darker truth. 

Fei had an appointment with another couple, so Suzy, Kunpimook, Zitao and Sehun were going to have to wait for a bit before getting a group appointment with both Jackson and Fei, since their wedding was a little tougher. That's why they were all in the waiting room, chit-chatting, as if they hadn't been the worst enemies a few days before. Kunpimook didn't listen, as he was still focused on his future that he didn't want to see. Actually, the beach issue had kept him busy for a while, so he hadn't thought about the actual marriage, which he feared so much. But now that there was nothing to hide it, he was scared again, and he couldn't think about anything else. The poor man was going crazy, he was realizing his whole life was going to be a lie, and that Suzy was eventually going to come back to reality too. 

Kunpimook excused himself and went to the bathroom, because he needed a break from hearing people talk about weddings, as if everyone forgot Suzy and him weren't supposed to be happy. He rushed inside and ran into Jackson who was washing his hands. That was the last thing he needed, of course Jackson was going to ask him what was wrong. And he did. Kunpimook wasn't going to tell everything to a practically stranger, but he was too polite to tell him to mind his own business. 

"I'm just feeling a bit dizzy," Kunpimook lied. 

He went to the back of the room and leaned against the wall, thinking Jackson had bridal consultant stuff to do, and that he would be left alone. But that wasn't the case, and Jackson approached him carefully, looking concerned. The man had thought about telling the couple he knew what was going on for a while, but he had never had the occasion. Maybe that was the occasion. Although he knew it really was stupid to do such a thing right after the couples had found an arrangement, Jackson couldn't resist. 

"Sir," he began nervously, "as you bridal consultant, it is my job to assure you have the best wedding you could possibly have. But, I couldn't help but to notice that…"

Kunpimook looked up, panicked. 

"I don't mean to meddle in you life, but—"

"Is it that obvious?" Kunpimook interrupted.

Jackson didn't expect that from the quiet fiancé who seemed to care a bit too much about social rules, but it did save him from formulating his sentence. 

"Well—yes," Jackson confirmed, a bit sorry.

At this point, Kunpimook wasn't even surprised. He sighed and chuckled nervously. 

"I can't even fool you, and we've seen each other like five times," Kunpimook said with a hopeless expression.

The atmosphere was kind of awkward. The two men barely knew each other, and they were talking about this very private thing. However, Jackson felt like he had to help this guy right in front of him, not only because he was a decent human being, but also because he believed he deserved better. In the few times they had met, Jackson had only seen a very kind and sweet person in Kunpimook, always trying to please Suzy, no matter what.

"Well, you… you shouldn't feel bad about that, you know," Jackson assured. "People can't hide their feelings. I see you care a lot about your fiancée, but I know couples."

"Have you ever organized a wedding without love before?" Kunpimook asked with a tiny voice. 

"Yeah," Jackson confirmed. "But usually, they both have a good reason to get married."

Kunpimook wiped away a tear, and looked away, feeling Jackson's gaze on him. He really didn't want to look weak, especially not in front of someone he barely knew, but he hadn't been able to to refrain himself from breaking down. He had been under pressure for a long moment, since he needed to be there for Suzy, and he needed to be strong for them. His parents had raised him in a traditional way, so being a man included showing no emotion to him, and that wasn't who he was. How could anyone keep a straight face while being involved in this kind of relationship?

"I'm sorry," Kunpimook apologized for his weakness. "I should go. My fiancée's waiting for me."

And so Jackson was left alone in the restroom. He didn't know if he had done the right thing by addressing the issue, and he was confused, but he knew he would have never let the subject untouched. Jackson was like that: he cared a lot about everyone being happy, that's why he became a bridal consultant. He wanted to help people in some way. He was an idealist, always wanting everything to be perfect, and when he saw Suzy and Kunpimook's couple, he saw a flaw, something that wasn't meant to be. So organizing this wedding was truly a challenge to him, and not not telling Kunpimook he knew was just impossible. 

The double appointment had been a bit awkward to Jackson and Kunpimook (A:N: Is it for or to, I don't know… It's all the same in French), but they got through it. Suzy and Zitao suddenly were super accomplice, giving everyone great ideas and being really excited about the wedding. Also, it felt good to talk about it with people who cared as much as Suzy did; Kunpimook was really nice, but parties weren't his cup of tea. 

After the appointment, Jackson felt the need to talk to Kunpimook a bit more about the what had happened, so he managed to talk to him privately in the halls, while Suzy was discussing with the other couple. 

"I know we don't know each other, but I feel very concerned about this," Jackson confessed. "As a bridal consultant, I don't want to do anything against your will."

"It's not your fault, you shouldn't worry about us," Kunpimook reassured. 

"If you have any… issues that you don't want to discuss in front of your fiancée, you can call me."

Jackson gave Kunpimook his card and a reassuring look. The latter felt a bit flustered that he cared about his well-being, beyond the professional scope, as no one seemed to have before, because he was expected to deal with his marriage like a man. Even Tao and Sehun had kind of mocked Suzy and him when they noticed their couple was fake, using it against them during their argument. Until then, he hadn't ever felt like a victim of his marriage, but rather like a botherment to Suzy and to his family, a man that wasn't worthy of a real relationship and who needed to be forced into marrying a woman against her will, just because he couldn't love her. So for once, he felt that someone wasn't judging him or mocking him. He felt like maybe he was the one who needed to be comforted, not blamed. It was just a card but it meant a lot to Kunpimook.