First Appointment

Lavender Marriage

The Wang Wedding Planning company consisted of two people, Fei and Jackson Wang, who despite what you might believe weren't married or family. The duo had seen a lot of dysfunctional couples in their career, and depsite that, they always made sure that, at least, their wedding ceremony was wonderful; that was how their reputation grew among the fiancés of the country. There wasn't a challenge they couldn't take, with Fei's remarkable sense of organisation and Jackson's perfect understanding of the clients. No, not a challenge they couldn't take…

It was an April monday and Jackson Wang was busy with clients.

"Next, what do you want the theme of this wedding to be?"

Jackson Wang was sitting in his office with a couple of clients for their first appoitment. They were young and Jackson couldn't help but doubt that this marriage would last very long — but that was none of his business. The couple seemed confused.

"A theme?," asked the taller one. "Do we really need a theme? I just want it to be fabulous."

"Fabulous," repeated Jackson while writing it down with a light smile. 

"Oh! don't forget the cake — I want an ice cream cake, and not this basic cream disgusting cake they serve at every damn wedding," suddenly said the blond one. "We are not basic."

After half an hour, the couple had communicated everything needed for a first appointment to Jackson. They all got up and shook hands.

"See you next week, M. Oh and M. Huang. Have a nice day," he said. 

Fei, the other half of the bridal consultant duo, was waiting outside the door and walked in as soon as the clients left. She had a bunch of papers in her arms and did not seem relaxed at all — that was part of the job. A woman and a man followed her.

"We have two new clients! Jackson, this is Ms Bae and M. Bhuwakul," introduced Fei with a smile. 

Jackson greeted them and they all sat down, but he could sense that his clients were not comfortable. He could tell neither of them wanted to be there — but that was none of his business. However, while Fei was introducing their company with their slogan "Wang Wedding Planning, with us, your dream wedding comes true", the man did stare at the little couple and feel sorry for them. Their expressions obviously showed this wasn't their idea. After years of working there, the wedding planner could easily tell this kind of things. 

When the future married were asked their special wishes for their wedding, both of them looked unsure and the woman nervously answered:

"I… we don't want anything too special, we're just looking for a classical ceremony, hum…"

The man immediatly cut her off and asked to talk to her in private for a minute. The Wang duo left the room for a moment. However, Jackson couldn't help his curiosity and stayed as close to the door as possible to listen to the strange couple, under the judging eye of Fei. She was used to this, anyway. 

"Suzy," whispered M. Bhuwakul, "you know they won't be satisfied with a classical wedding. They want to believe we wanted this, so… At least, let's have a nice party."

"I'm sorry," she replied with a sigh. "You're right… Well… at least we're not the ones who will pay for this…"

She paused and looked at her future husband fiercely. 

"So let's make them pay," Suzy angrily said. 

On the other side of the door, Jackson was intrigued. Probably an arranged marriage, he thought. And it seemed like he was getting a lot of money. 

 

At the end of the day, Fei and Jackson left the building where the magic took place and walked together to their cars like very serious businesspeople, the sound of high heels anouncing their arriving. 

"What do you think is wrong with that last couple?" asked Jackson out of the blue. 

Fei sighed. She was trying not to get into the clients' personal lives, but her partner was always making it difficult. 

"I don't know and I don't care, Jackson," she exasperatlingly answered. "And you shouldn't either."

"I bet their parents are rich old people. They want them to be a classical rich family. The poor girl is gonna get pressured into having kids."

Fei kept silent, while Jackson continued talking. 

"And they will never be happy. Oh, at least they seemed friendly with each other. Who knows, maybe they'll end up loving each other?"

"Well… I doubt that," commented Fei with a low voice. 

The other looked at her mischievously. 

"Oh yes? I thought you didn't care."

"I don't," replied immediatly Fei. "I'm just saying what I think."

They finally arrived in front of her car, and before she got in, she simply said:

"I think it's probably… a lavender marriage. See you tomorrow."

Jackson was then left in the parking, as he saw his partner's car leaving. He had absolutely no idea of what "lavender marriage" meant. 

 

The next morning, when Jackson met Fei in their workplace hall, he didn't mention the strange couple. But he did think about what she had said to him a lot. The night before, he had searched what it meant on the internet. He found out it was the common name given to a marriage meant to hide one or both of the spouses homouality, and he could not quite tell how she could have guessed that. But what bothered him was that he still thought their parents had organized this marriage and he wasn't okay with that. How could he plan a wedding for people who were forced into it by their homophobic parents? Fei didn't seem to treat the case any differently than a regular couple, but Jackson knew she didn't agree with that either, she was just the kind of "work before feelings" person.

And work was important to Jackson too, so he tried to stop thinking about it and took the next clients. 

* * *

A.N: This chapter is pretty short, but I think the others will be way longer. I hope you enjoyed it anyway, and feel free to comment! ~