chapter 2

Payback

 

For few weeks Taemin managed to avoid any troubles, he found the one place Minho never visited in – the library, he was free from bullying at last, his parents were pleased with his grades and art school seems to be reachable.

Taemin wrote the last answer in his book and tapped his calculator just to reassure himself he was right when a paralyzing pain went through his head, he cried out and held the throbbing side of his skull, raising his gaze to see what happened his eyes widened, Minho was standing next to him with a book in his hand, a devilish smile on his face, that idiot hit him with a book!

"There you are little fairy princess…"

At that moment Taemin snapped, rush of blood went through his ears and his vision focused on the older boy, he screamed as he threw himself over him and pushed him. Minho lost his balance and took few trembling steps backward laughing at the little boy's effort.

"You hit like a girl!"

Tears of anger rolled down Taemin's cheek as he tried to hit him again, Minho grabbed his arms and dug his fingernail in his flesh as he pushed him to the floor, he landed on his painfully, trace of blood decorated his arms. Reaching his hand to the table he raised his calculator and threw it on Minho's face, it hit him, really bad, in his eye. The older cried out and placed his hand over his hurt eye- shivering with pain, for a moment Taemin felt bad for what he have done, he got up from the floor and took a hesitate step closer to him but when he saw the librarian getting closer to them and a bunch of curios children looking at him he froze- what have he done?!

He pulled his bag over his back, leaving all of his belongings on the table, he wanted to run away from there but was being stopped by the librarian who grabbed his aching arm forcedly.

"What's going on?" she asked angrily.

Minho was still crying out with pain, holding his eye and shaking.

"Both of you, to the principal office, now"

 

Taemin glanced at Minho who was sitting in front of him, they were waiting in the waiting room for the principal, their parents were on their way too and he already knew he can forget about art school, not this year, not next year, never.

Minho's eyes were closed, a bag of ice attached to his swollen eye, it had a blue mark all around it and it was his fault, Taemin never hit a person before- it felt so powerful but he was also worried now, what if something really bad happened to Minho's eye and he won't be able to see again?

"Minho-ya!" a terrified voice echoed in the little waiting room when a woman walked in, she hurried to hug Minho and his hair softly "gwenchanayo?"

Suddenly, Minho wasn’t a bully anymore, he was a little boy who snuggled in his mother's arms and enjoyed her attention.

Lowering his gaze Taemin looked at his hands in his lap, he could feel Minho's mother looking at him bitterly after what he have done to her son.

"Taemin…" it was his father's harsh voice, he was in troubles. Getting up from the bench he was sitting on he got closer to his father and stood by his side, he haven’t bothered to look at him knowing he must have been really angry.

Soft hands held his arms and he looked up to see his father worried eyes as he saw the dry blood "I'm fine" he said quietly and looked toward Minho who told his mother what happened.

"Mr. Lee, Mrs. Choi…" the principal walked into the waiting room and signed with his hand, they followed him and greeted each other politely, both boys stayed in the waiting room.

Waiting was stressful and only because Minho stared at him angrily, for 30 minutes he just sat there with his arms crossed and swollen blue eye until finally his mother came out, she looked uncomfortable as she passed by him toward her son "come on, we're going" was all she said and Minho was already on his feet rushing after her.

Taemin's father still hasn’t got out and the boy started to worried, what the principal would tell his father?

 

 

"…it's not the first time"

Mr. Lee looked at the principal worriedly "he never told us before"

"I saw it happening few times and when I asked Taemin what happened he said it's fine, that he and Minho are just playing and they're friends"

"I never heard about that boy and Taemin never said anything about someone picking on him at school"

The principal leaned backward in his chair and crossed his arms on his big belly "you'll have to try and talk with him to find what's going on, we tried but the boy doesn't cooperating"

"Sure, me and my wife will talk with him, thank you" Mr. Lee got up from his chair and shook the principal hand before he got out of his office.

 

 

Taemin jumped to his feet when his father came out, he waited for him to scold him but he just reached his hand and held his.

"Appa…?" Taemin asked quietly.

His father smiled at him softly "you got a detention because of violence behavior at school"

The boy's eyes widened and he gulped, how could it be that his father still smiling after he got detention?!

"Come on, we'll talk about it at home" he said and pulled him.

"Appa?" Taemin asked trying to keep up with his father's fast steps.

"Hmm?"

"Did Minho got a detention too?" he asked wanting to know if he was the only one who got punished.

"Nae…"

"Oh…" the boy said feeling some kind of weird relief.    

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Victoria cleaned his bloody arms and tried to make him laugh by telling him some funny jokes from a television show he liked, Taemin tried his best to smile.

"Taemin-ah…it would be ok, soon enough you'll be back to school"

"Nonna..." he said miserably "I don’t want to go back to school, Minho always calling me names and hit me, today he hit me with a book" Taemin pointed at his head and the housekeeper reached her hand to look for injuries, he cried out in pain when she touched a little bump on his top.     

"Oh…sweetie…" she said and gave him a comforting hug.  

"I want to go to art school…Umma and Appa don’t understand me"

"Do you want me to talk with them?"

"Aniyo!" Taemin said and moved away from her hug "no, promise me! They won't understand, Nonna you must not tell"   

Victoria looked at him and bitten her lower lip, from the corner of her eye she caught Taemin's parents standing at the kitchen entrance, she glanced at them before nodding her head "sure…but you have to promise me that you will…ok?"

Taemin looked torn but nodded, she hugged him again before closing the first aid kit and placing it back in it place.

"Victoria ssi…" Mrs. Lee's voice made the boy turn and by the way they looked at him he knew they heard all he said.

"I'm going home Taemin-ah…we'll see again tomorrow" Victoria said with a smile and tapped a kiss on the boy's forehead before she walked out of the kitchen, Taemin's parents smiled at her as she walked away.

"Am I in troubles?" Taemin asked following his parents with his gaze as they took stools and sat in front of him.

"Taemin-ah, why haven’t you told us that someone is bullying you at school?" his mother asked.

The boy shrugged and looked down to his hands in his lap.

"If someone hurting you, you have to tell us" his father said.

"For how long it had been happening?" his mother held his hands in hers and made him look at her.

Teary eyes Taemin sniffed "since I started first grade"

"For three years?!" his father's tone pinched his ears.

Taemin nodded.

"And why haven't you said anything?!"

"Because I want to go to art school…"

"Taemin-ah…art school have nothing to do with that, we said you'll go to art school if your grades would be good, not if you'll get hurt by someone and be quiet about it" his mother said.

"But I got a detention"

"Because you acted violently at school…" his father said "but you were protecting yourself. I'm not saying that violent is the key to your problems but I'm saying that if something happened and you need help – you should come to us and we'll help you no matter what"

Taemin gulped and tears spilled from his eyes, his mother wiped it away and kissed his cheek "don’t cry…"

"Mianhaeyo"

"Me and Umma talked and…"

Taemin frowned and shared his gaze between his parents.  

"…we decided to move you to art school this year"

The boy's eyes lighted and sparkled, a big smile crossed his face "chinchaa?"

Both his parents nodded with a smile.

Taemin threw himself from the kitchen island straight into their arms with a big hug.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Taemin couldn’t stop blathering about art school and probably drove everyone around him crazy but he hadn’t cared- he was happy, it was a long week in the Lee residence till the day has finally came. 

"Bye!" the boy waved to his parents and ran toward Victoria's car.

"Bye, have fun!" his parents waved at him and watched as the car drove away before they walked back into the house.

"Are you exciting?" Victoria asked glancing at Taemin from the small mirror.  

Taemin nodded and smiled, he was excited and scared…but in a good way. After a short ride Victoria stopped the car in front of his new school, he clicked his seatbelt and jumped from his seat, hugging his Nonna and waving at her before he got out of the car.

 

Detention week was like a vacation for Minho, he liked it actually but now it was payback time! He'll catch that little brat and teach him a lesson for hitting Choi Minho! His eye still had blue marks because of him!   

However, the little boy was no were to be found.

"Oppa…" Jinri shook her brother's hand for his attention as they walked home from school, after spending his entire day looking for the boy he finally gave up – maybe he just got longer detention than he had.

"Nae?"  Minho looked at his little sister.

"Are you looking for Taemin Oppa?"

"Who?"

"Taemin Oppa, the boy from the third grade"

Taemin? Was it his name? He never thought about it, he didn't even knew his name.

"Aniyo!" 

"So why you went to his class today? I saw you at lunch break…are you still mad because of your eye?"

"It's not of your business, Jin"

"You should know, he's not coming back to school anymore"

"What?"  

"Nae… Jiyoung Unni said that her Unni said-"

"Get to the point!" Minho cut her off a little irritated.

"…he left school, he's not coming back and they said it because of you" Jinri said with low voice.

Minho frowned at his sister before he shrugged "wimp..."

"You shouldn’t have hit him…"

"YA!" Minho raised his voice making his sister shut , they haven’t spoken after that.