Borrowed Time

The Beautiful Stranger

 

I was blindly searching for that missing piece

Not realizing that you were there all along

 

Just once, just once, please look for me…

Each day I pray desperately for youto find me

So that I can have you in my arms

 

A mist mystically appeared totally enveloping the dove. Then a very bright light radiated from it. The mist slowly spiraled upward showing a silhouette of a lady.

 

“Seohyun?” Kyuhyun walked nearer to the blinding light that covered the face of a beautiful lady. The light slowly faded and Seohyun’s beautiful face was finally revealed. She was wearing that same white dress and she was indeed mysteriously glowing just like the very first time he saw her.

 

“You’re back, you came,” Seohyun said softly as she smiled although her eyes were already glistening with tears that she tried to hold back… the tears of happiness that she felt… now that Kui Xian was back in the persona of Kyuhyun.

 

“I never break promises, do I?” Kyuhyun replied with a soft smile.

 

“You remember already? K-kui Xian?” Seohyun said softly.

 

Kyuhyun simply nodded.

 

“I thought this day will never come. I have contented myself in meeting you again, in finding you. At least we have done the things that we used to do in the past.” Seohyun said as she stepped closer. A tiny dewdrop fell from her eyes. “Each night, I desperately pray that your memories will return to you, that you will realize that it’s me…that one day you will wake up and look for me.”

 

“Mianhae, I did not realize earlier that you were that missing piece inside me,” Kyuhyun said.

 

“Each night, I would stay at your bedside, watching you sleep,” Seohyun said reaching out her hand to him. “As much as I wanna touch you in all those times, I can’t.” She said as she immediately pulled it back. “I just pass through you.” She said as she stared back at her hand. “Remember the time you hugged me? I was surprised that you were able to touch me. I never wanted to let go at that time, I just wanna have you in my arms again, feel you again…but I was afraid… afraid that I would dissipate into the cold wind right before your eyes.”

 

“Why don’t you try it again?” Kyuhyun asked. He could see the hesitation in her eyes but when Seohyun saw his encouraging smile, a smile that told her that it would be fine, that there was nothing to fear if she just believed that she could do it, she slowly reached out her hand to touch him. Lightly, Kyuhyun could feel Seohyun’s light feathery touch on his skin. She started caressing his face, an act that she missed doing for a long time. Kyuhyun closed his eyes to relish her touch that always put him at ease. Kyuhyun softly touched the hand on his face, rubbing it with his thumb, a sweet reply to her caresses as they both smiled to each other.

------------------

 

The other three were watching the scene. They were so fortunate to become the witnesses of one of the greatest miracle of love, the undying love between the two persons in front of them.

 

“The heavens probably realized how strong is their love for each other that they are both allowed to traverse time.” Yuri commented. Tears were also forming in her eyes. “I am glad to see my sister again.”

 

Donghae stared at his friend and he knew right then that it was not Kyuhyun that he was seeing now, it was Kui Xian, the steadfast lover of Seohyun.

 

Can this be real?Yoona asked herself as she was watching them. That kind of unwavering love is what she wished to have.

-------------------

“I thought you’ll be scared away.” Seohyun said.

 

“I will never be scared away by you,” Kyuhyun answered with a smile and then to Seohyun’s surprise, Kyuhyun let go of her hand and kneeled in front of her. He took out a box and showed her the ring.

 

“I want to fulfill my promise. Will you be with me forever? You know that I have always loved you. Will you… will you be with me this time? Can you? Is it possible?” Kyuhyun asked.

 

Seohyun’s eyes faltered. “I’m sorry Kui Xian, it can’t be. Not now…” Seohyun said as pushed the box and looked away.

 

“Why?” Kyuhyun asked. He thought they would finally have a happy ending but why does destiny not allow it?

 

“WHY?” He asked again when Seohyun did not answer.

 

“You know I’m dead Kyuhyun. You know I’m just a soul,” Seohyun finally answered, tears dripping down her face.

 

“So?! I am just a soul too,” Kyuhyun said.

 

“Yes, a soul trapped inside a body. Kui Xian, you are Kyuhyun now. Look at the family and friends that you have now,” she looked at Donghae. “They need you. You have a new life ahead.” Seohyun told him.

 

“How can I have a life if I can’t have you? Just stay… Stay please,” Kyuhyun held her hands and pleaded with his eyes. He could feel her hands slowly losing warmth, a bad omen to him. 

 

“I can’t… I just borrowed this time. I have to return soon,” She slipped her hand from Kyuhyun’s hold and took a necklace with an hourglass pendant hanging on the end of it. She showed it to him. Kyuhyun saw the last grains of the sands of time trickling down fast. Time, he asked, why are you so cruel?

 

“Then why did you still come back when you already know that you’re gonna leave again anyway,” Kyuhyun cried. “I am now here to fulfill my promise. Why? WHY? WHY DO YOU STILL HAVE TO GO?”

 

“I’ve already told you that now it’s not the time. My heart is also hurting that I have to leave but that’s how it is. That is how the heavens planned it and we got to accept that.” Seohyun said. She felt her heart being crushed with every tear that flowed down Kyuhyun’s cheek and with every look in his eyes that were telling her to stay.

 

“Whether you like it or not, you have to return within 100 days.”

 

Seohyun recalled what the timekeeper said to her when he allowed her to linger for a while to search for the lost soul of Kui Xian. Today was her 100th day and afterwards, everything would be blank again. She really had no choice.

 

“I may be gone again but sooner or later you’ll meet someone with the same soul as mine. You got to find her. I may not be able to retain memories of you by that time happens but your heart will recognize that it’s me… and I’ll be waiting for that moment.” Seohyun told him.

 

Kyuhyun shook his head. “What are you talking about?”

 

“Five minutes left…” Seohyun heard someone invisible whispered to her ear. She knew right then that it was the timekeeper.

 

“I have to –--“

 

“No.” Kyuhyun said defiantly. He ran over to her and hugged her tight. “I don’t care about the nonsense that you’re telling me. Damn those heavens and their plan! If I had to defy the One Person up there, I would! I just want you to be by my side. Can they just understand that!?”

 

“You are still as persistent as before,” Seohyun mumbled.

 

“Kyu, you have to let her go…” Donghae told his friend.

 

“SHUT UP!” Kyuhyun yelled. He eased back and looked at her straight in the eyes with her face held in between his two hands.

 

“Please… I beg you, don’t go…” he said in an almost whisper. He leaned forward until their foreheads touched each other and they both stood still as they continued to weep.

 

Destiny is such an undefeatable foe that leaves the person no choice but to obey it. This was the situation that both Seohyun and Kyuhyun were in. How Seohyun also wished she could go against the tide of fate. But fate is always inevitable. The more you escape, the more it will chase you. Every effort of avoiding it would be in vain. It would be a vicious cycle so it’s just better to give in.

 

“I love you… always remember that,” Seohyun said softly to him. Kyuhyun lifted his eyes and suddenly he felt her cold lips on him. 

 

“I love you too…” he muttered in between the kiss. He gently kissed her back.

 

“Time’s up.”

 

Seohyun broke away from the kiss and took several steps backward. She knew that it was time already and she felt herself gradually drifting away.

 

“See you soon,” She tried hard to let out a smile as she bid her farewell to Kyuhyun but still she could not stop that single tear from falling down her cheek. She turned to Yuri, Yoona, and Donghae and softly smiled at them.

 

“Unnie, nice seeing you again,” she told Yuri. “Is that our granddaughter?” Seohyun asked looking at Yoona. Yoona, on the other hand, felt awkward being addressed by her grandmother who looked just the same age as her. “Such a pretty lady,” Seohyun said.

 

Lastly, she turned to Donghae.

 

“Donghae-shi, take care of Kui-,” She stopped herself. She got to stop calling him in that name. “I mean, take care of Kyuhyun.”

 

“I will,” Donghae nodded.

 

Kyuhyun looked at Seohyun and he could see her slowly fading away. He ran after her and tried to stop her but he could not touch her anymore.  She was just like a cold wind that passed through his hands. He helplessly watched her dissolving little by little until she was no more. The only thing left of her was a thin wisp of smoke that soon got blown away by a sudden strong gust of wind. Seohyun was gone… and he did not know when would he be able to see her or if he would ever see her again.

 

“SEOHYUN!!!” Kyuhyun sank on the ground. He called out her name over and over in case the heaven would take pity on him and changed its mind to grant his wish… his wish to be with his love.

 

“Kyuhyun,” Donghae approached him handing the ring box that he dropped on the ground. “Just follow what Seohyun said a while ago. She likes you to be happy and cherish the life that you had now. Let’s just look forward to the day that you will both meet again,” he said with a comforting smile. Donghae was trying to console him but for Kyuhyun, it was not enough to rub out the pain that he was feeling. A while ago, Seohyun was just there but in an instant, she was gone again.

 

-----------------------

 

Kyuhyun and Donghae returned to the villa and everyone was curious of what happened to them. Kyuhyun’s red and swollen eyes of course were very obvious and it caught their attention. Even the box that Kyuhyun had brought home with him containing Seohyun’s stuff intrigued them. In addition to that, there was also Donghae who got bandages all over his arm. Eunhyuk quickly approached him and poked his injured arm.

 

“Ouch,” Donghae whimpered.

 

“Where have you gone?” Shindong asked him.

 

“It’s a long story, hyung… a long unbelieveable story,” Donghae merely said.

-------------------

 

Everything was dark around her. It seemed like she was inside a tunnel or something.

 

“Here I am! Come find me! Can somebody find me?” She was shouting at the top of her lungs hoping that a certain someone would be able to hear her call. All of the sudden, a light appeared at the end of the tunnel and she caught a glimpse of a man’s silhouette.

 

“Oppa!? I’m right here!” She ran towards him but she did not seem to get any closer.

 

The light at the other end kept flickering on and off until it became pitch black once again.

 

She fluttered her eyelids and slowly opened her eyes and she was greeted by a bright white light. She blinked her eyes until she got a clearer view. Her head felt heavy like she was awoken from a very long and deep slumber. She could not recall what happened to her or where on earth she was now or how she was able to end up there.

 

The door creaked open and a girl in white stepped inside. The girl was quite surprised when she found her staring back at her. She stood there for a moment and then she rushed back outside. She could catch her informing the others…

 

“The patient is finally conscious.”

 

End of Chapter. 

 

A/N: Sorry for the laaaate update... Been busy with school stuff

One chapter left... Then I'll be focusing on Not So Much of A Fairy Tale.

This fic makes me feel so heavy... that's the thing when you write a drama/angst fic.