Who is He?

The Beautiful Stranger

 

“Where have you been?” Donghae asked upon his arrival. “Everyone’s looking for you.”

 

“I just went out to get some fresh air.” Kyuhyun replied.

 

“Fresh air?” Donghae snickered. “You got to be kidding me.” Then he turned serious. “You know you can’t lie to me. Did you go out to see the girl in the woods?”

 

Kyuhyun had no choice but to say the truth. If he would lie, it won’t be too long till Donghae would see through him. “Yes, I went there. Are you against it? Are you also thinking that I am imagining some things?” He asked him.

 

“Actually we have talked about it a while ago. It’s strange, I admit. But we’ve come up to a conclusion. I believe you. We believe you.” Donghae said as he patted his dongsaeng’s shoulder. Kyuhyun was relieved that his hyungs did not doubt Seohyun’s existence anymore.

 

That night, he dreamt of her again…

 

As he walked in the depths of the forest, he heard sobbing sounds coming from a girl. He followed it and it led him to the garden which was now brightly lit by the lone chandelier. In the midst of the dark forest, the garden was the only source of light.

 

He peeked inside and saw Seohyun sitting on the floor, crying. “Why can’t he remember me? What can I do to awaken his memories? Time is already running out.”

 

Kyuhyun then stormed inside and Seohyun was taken aback. “Do I know you in the past?” he asked her. Seohyun nodded.

“It’s only you who can’t recall,” she told him. 

 

Then he woke up because someone was shaking him. “Kyu, wake up and let’s go downtown today.” Donghae told him.

“AISH!!!” Kyuhyun shouted as he shoved Donghae’s arms away from him. “You disturbed my sleep.”

 

“Your sleep or your dream?” Donghae teasingly asked him.

 

‘Shut up,” Kyuhyun said as he walked to the comfort room. “I’ll just take a bath and then we’ll go,” he said as he closed the door. He stood in front of the mirror and looked at his reflection. He thought about his dream last night. The horrible nightmares were gone but they were replaced by the mystifying dreams that always drive his mind crazy trying to figure it out. He once questioned who Seohyun was but now, he did not expect that he would also be asking that same question to himself. Who is he really?

------------------

 

The downtown was a place where sellers from nearby towns and cities flocked together to showcase their merchandise. Several stalls selling a variety of things ranging from foods, clothes, to souvenirs were set up there. Kyuhyun was glad that Donghae brought him there. At least it would take his minds off his worries for a while. He was busy looking at some Chinese store when Donghae received a call from Kyuhyun’s mother.

 

“Oh, auntie, you called. How are you there?” Donghae asked.

 

“I’m fine here. How’s Kyuhyun doing? He does not answer his phone,” Kyuhyun’s mother said.

 

“It must be in silent mode. He’s in downtown with me and he was busy checking out some Chinese stuff. Auntie, you know how much Kyu loves those kind of things.” Donghae replied. “By the way, there is a development. Kyuhyun is not having those nightmares anymore.”

 

“That’s good then. I was worrying because he forgot his medication. I’m glad that he is doing well. Hope you come home safely,” she said and then Donghae heard from the background the paging system announcing something. “Calling Dr. Cho, please proceed to room 314 now. Calling Dr. Cho, please proceed to room 314 now.”

 

“Donghae, I’ll go now. Please tell Kyu that I missed him.”

 

“Okay, auntie.” Donghae answered and then he hung up his phone. Kyuhyun approached him, carrying a bunch of things that he bought from the Chinese store. “Who’s that?” he asked, nodding towards Donghae’s phone.

 

“It’s your mom. He told me to tell you that she missed you.” Donghae said to him. “Oh… I’ll just text her later.” Kyuhyun answered.

 

“What’s this?” Donghae picked up a booklet from Kyuhyun’s paperbag. He opened to read it but he could not because it was written with Chinese characters. He flicked to the other pages and they were all in Chinese characters.

 

“Why did you buy this? Can you read this?” He asked Kyuhyun while he continuously flipped through the leaves of the booklet.

 

“You’re forgetting that I studied Mandarin,” Kyuhyun said snatching the booklet away from Donghae. “Oh, I remember now,” Donghae said. “The teacher even complimented you because you learned it fast. She even said that you could be a Chinese in your previous life.”

 

“Am I not so great?” Kyuhyun said with a self-satisfied grin.

 

“Stop being so proud and let’s go home. The hyungs are waiting for us.” Donghae said as he walked forward until he met an odd-looking person. She was a very old woman, her silvery white hair sticking out of her cloak. Her back was already hunched and she was holding a cane.

 

“Young man, do you want me to predict your future for you?” She asked Donghae.

 

“I’m sorry but I don’t have any interest on fortune-telling.” He plainly said. He motioned Kyuhyun to walk faster and Kyuhyun followed, making wide strides to catch up with Donghae.

 

“For a moment, young man,” the old woman called again. Donghae turned around and put his arms across his chest. “What again halmeoni? How about this? If you can tell if I will meet a beautiful girl here, I might change my mind and listen to you.”

 

“I have a few words to say to your companion.” She said pointing to Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun looked at her and scrunched his forehead. “Wha-what is it, halmeoni?”

 

“I know there are a lot of unanswered questions looming inside your head now. Do not fret, your heart will lead you to the answers in due time.” She said. Kyuhyun’s jaw dropped and at her insight.

 

“Kyu, let’s go now!” Donghae called Kyuhyun’s attention. Kyuhyun seemed to be glued to where he was standing. “Take care, young man,” the old woman said before he left. Kyuhyun bowed at her as he watched her leave.  

 

“I’m coming, hyung,” Kyuhyun said and he ran after his hyung with his mind, more perplexed than ever.

 

End of Chapter.

A/n: Photo credits to: superloveforsuperjunior