Her Real Identity

The Beautiful Stranger

 

When Donghae got back to the villa, he saw some of the guys already eating breakfast and one of them was Kyuhyun. Donghae dashed to him and whispered something in his ear that made everyone in the table curious.

 

“Kyu, I think I saw Seohyun. She is in the garden right now. Come with me, quick!” Donghae dragged Kyuhyun out of the dining hall and into the woods. Kyuhyun did not want to believe what Donghae told him for he thought that it would be unlikely to happen. Still, he would like to hold on whatever a grain of hope there was for him to see Seohyun. As they came closer and closer to the garden, Kyuhyun’s heart started throbbing with excitement.

 

However, this excitement was soon gone the second they peered inside the garden. “It’s not Seohyun, hyung,” Kyuhyun said with disappointment. On the other hand, Donghae was relieved that she’s not Seohyun.

 

“So she isn’t Seohyun? Really?” Donghae’s face was the complete opposite of Kyuhyun’s gloomy expression. “Yes! No conflict of interest!” Donghae muttered under his breath as he furtively pumped his fist. He could not believe how lucky he was. He almost gave up the chance to meet a girl during this vacation but tada! There she was… her ideal girl.

 

“I heard that,” Kyuhyun sent him a death glare which made Donghae realize that he was having a wrong reaction. He immediately changed his facial expression to one that was sympathetic. “I’m really sorry Kyu. I gave you false hope.” Then his face brightened again. “But wait, we can ask that pretty lady over there if she knows Seohyun. How about that?”

 

“Hyung, I am not buying it. You are just using that scheme to get yourself a girl,” Kyuhyun told him. “Let’s just try Kyu. This is what you call “shooting two birds with one stone.” Donghae said as he imitated a gun using his fingers. “It’s not a gun, hyung. It’s a slingshot.” Kyuhyun corrected him.

 

“Whatever,” The older one said, walking inside the garden before Kyuhyun could stop him and eventually invading the privacy of the young lady.

 

The girl let out a shriek upon seeing them. “Who are you?” She asked anxiously.

 

“Don’t be afraid. We are not going to hurt you. We live in the villa nearby.” Donghae explained. The girl seemed to believe him so she calmed down for a bit. “I’m Lee Donghae,” Donghae introduced himself while flashing his most dashing smile. “…and this is my friend, Cho Kyuhyun.” He turned to Kyuhyun to whom he mouthed “smile and greet”.

 

“Annyeong, nice to meet you,” Kyuhyun said with a smiling face as ordered by Donghae.

 

“What’s your name?” Donghae asked excitedly as he offered his hand.

 

“Im Yoona.” She said. She then accepted his handshake.

Her hand was really soft. Donghae thought. So soft that he did not want to let it go.

 

“Ehem,” Kyuhyun cleared his throat loudly waking Donghae from his trance. “Hyung, I think she wanted her hand back.”

Yoona laughed awkwardly at Kyuhyun’s statement. After shaking hands with both of them, Yoona let them sit on the bench in front of the piano.

 

“Is that bird your pet?” Donghae asked referring to the dove that was on Yoona’s shoulder.

 

“No, but this dove is a regular guest here in the garden.” Yoona said. “Say hi to our new friends,” Yoona playfully told the dove. The dove flew from Yoona’s shoulder to Kyuhyun’s lap and it stayed there peacefully. “It seems to me that she likes you,” Yoona said while looking at Kyuhyun who the dove’s feathers.

 

Donghae, the sensitive and the jealous type, called Yoona’s attention away from Kyuhyun. “Yoona-shi, by any chance, do you have some female friends living here… around this area?” he asked Yoona. Kyuhyun suddenly paid attention.

 

“Nope,” Yoona answered. “My friends are all living in town. It is actually rare for me to see people visiting here. It has always been me and my grandmother.”

 

“Then, do you know or see a girl walking around here who was about the same age as you?” Donghae continued his interrogation.

 

“As far as I know, we are the only family living here in our ancestral property.” Yoona told them. Donghae and Kyuhyun both exchanged looks with each other. What was Seohyun’s real identity? Donghae was also dragged into this mystery.

 

“If that’s the case, we will be going then,” Kyuhyun stood up. The dove flew away as he did so. He bowed to Yoona. “Thank you for your time and nice meeting you again.” Yoona bowed back to him.

 

“Hyung, let’s go,” He grabbed Donghae’s collar and was willing to drag the other in case he did not want to go. Sensing Kyuhyun’s plan, Donghae obeyed but he had a better plan in his mind. Donghae bid farewell to Yoona as he walked backward until he stumbled himself on the rose vines. Donghae yelped in pain as several thorns pricked into his skin. Concerned, Yoona approached him.

 

“Those are bad cuts,” she said while pulling her handkerchief. She wrapped his wounded arm with the handkerchief. “We better go to our house to treat those wounds,” she said.

 

“You don’t really mind?” Donghae asked. “No, I don’t,” Yoona replied. Yoona pulled Donghae up and supported him to stand.

 

“I’m sorry for so much trouble. I even soiled your handkerchief,” Donghae said. “No, it’s okay.” Yoona answered.

 

As they walked back to the depths of the forest on the way to Yoona’s residence, Kyuhyun called Donghae’s attention. “You did it on purpose, did you?” He hissed at him. Donghae just smiled and winked at him. Yoona was a little ahead of them so she did not hear Kyuhyun.

    

“Aish! Can’t believe you…” Kyuhyun sighed.

------------------

 

As they entered the house where Yoona lives, Kyuhyun felt an eerie sense of déjà vu. Everything seemed to be familiar to him, the furnitures, the paintings along the wall… everything. Kyuhyun and Donghae seated themmselves on the couch while Yoona went inside another room to get the needed things. Few moments later, she came back with a basin of water, a bottle of hydrogen peroxide, cotton, gauze and bandages. She removed her handkerchief which was now soiled because of blood. She carefully applied the medication on Donghae’s wound while the other was preventing himself from squirming much.

 

“Ouch…Ow… Ow…” he would wince once in a while and Yoona would be gentler to him. “Sorry, just a bit.”

 

However, Kyuhyun could see through him. He was just feigning it. He was overly reacting the pain that he felt. Sickened at his hyung’s flirty schemes, he decided to take a look around the place. The line of picture frames on the wooden cabinet placed at the side of the living room had taken his interest. He looked at it one by one until he found a black and white picture of a woman who looked very much alike with Seohyun.

 

“Yoona-shi, who is this?” Kyuhyun asked, pointing to the picture.

 

Yoona tilted her head to get a better view. “Oh, that’s my grandmother.” She replied.

“Your grandmother?” Kyuhyun asked. “The one that lives with you here?”

 

“No,” Yoona answered as she stood up and fixed the things that she used for treating Donghae’s wounds. She approached him and looked at the picture closely. “She’s beautiful, isn’t she?” she said.

 

Donghae followed her and took a look at the picture too. “I agree, she’s beautiful… like you.” Yoona blushed at his statement. “Well, you look similar to each other,” he added.

 

Yoona indeed shared some features with her grandmother. He could accept that level of resemblance, however the resemblance between Seohyun and Yoona’s grandmother… they were exactly the same.

 

“Where is she now?” Kyuhyun asked still staring at the picture.

 

“She died fifty years ago,” Yoona answered.

 

Died fifty years ago. Impossible. She is very much alive. He can see and talk to her. Perhaps, they are two different persons. Yes, two different persons who has an unbelievable resemblance to each other.

 

“What is her name?” Kyuhyun asked slowly.

 

“Seohyun.”

 

“What is her name again?” Now it was Donghae who asked.

 

“Seohyun.”Yoona answered again.

 

Donghae glanced at him. “Is she…” His question faltered when he saw Kyuhyun standing there, with a face of shock and despair. Kyuhyun ruffled his hair. It was too much for him to bear. He could not believe it. She was a ghost? But how? Why? So many questions were on his head and he did not know where to start. No, perhaps they have the same name. So here he was, rationalizing the inexplicable situation.

 

Yoona’s grandmother entered the room carrying a tray of glasses of juice for the guests. Then…

 

CRASH!!!

 

Shattered glasses were scattered on the floor as her grandmother dropped the tray. “What happened grandma, is there something wrong?” Yoona asked her.

 

Her grandmother did not answer her. She just pointed at Kyuhyun.

 

“You look exactly like him.”

 

“Like who, grandma?”

 

“Kui Xian. My sister’s fiancée... and her one and only love.