That Mystical Music

The Beautiful Stranger

 

“We’ll meet again, for sure.”

 

The last night’s dream was still etched in his mind. He was at the balcony together with his hyungs. An intense match was happening between Leeteuk and Heechul, and between Shindong and Siwon. They invited him to join but he just chose to be a spectator knowing that he would not be able to concentrate with that beautiful stranger running inside his mind.

 

From time to time, he would set his eyes upon the woods, thinking if she would be there right now. Then out of the blue, he heard a familiar music. Oh no! It can’t be. It was the same piece that she was playing in his dream. He shifted his seat and he looked for the source of the music. He had his eyes fixed again on the woods. He could not be mistaken. He was sure that it came from there. He glanced on his hyungs. They were all engrossed in their game. He did not ask them if they could hear something, afraid that it would arouse the suspicion that he was losing his sanity.

 

The music continued to play summoning him to rise from his seat and follow the enchanting sound. He slowly left his seat and tiptoed his way downstairs and outside. He looked up at the balcony and he saw that none of them noticed his sudden absence so he ran as fast as he can to the woods. A different type of ecstasy had taken over him as he ambled through the woods. As he walked further into the woods, he realized that what was he doing was a replay of his dream. He kept walking until he saw the birdcage garden, the exact garden that he saw in his dream. Aside from the faded paint on its wooden edifice and the smell of the old wood, the garden remained the same.

 

What followed next was a flashback of his dream, him pushing the door open because of curiosity except this time there was already someone inside, sitting in front of the piano and playing the music. The music abruptly stopped the music the moment he entered.

 

“So you really came,” she said as she turned around and smiled at him, the same smile that made him weak. “You never forget your promises, do you?” she asked.

 

He was not able to do anything except to stare at her cluelessly. He scrunched his forehead. What are these promises that she keeps talking about?

 

Not receiving an answer from him, she asked another question. “Did you dream about me?”

 

“H-how did you know?” He was very surprised. “You always say that,” she chuckled. Her sweet and cute laugh tinkled in his ears.

 

“Always?”he asked himself. He cocked his head to the other side. “When?” he asked him.

 

“Before,” she answered simply. Kyuhyun looked at her in confusion. Why does she always give vague answers? He just sighed.

 

“I see… Looks like you still don’t remember anything.” she mumbled sadly after seeing his bewildered expression.    

 

“Remember what?” Kyuhyun asked. She just smiled at him. “Never mind. Just…just forget what I said.” She tapped the space next to her and motioned Kyuhyun to sit beside her. “Wanna play together?” she asked him and together they began playing “chopsticks”. They shared cheerful laughs and teased each other whenever someone committed mistake. “I get so distracted by you,” Kyuhyun told her and her cheeks would have a shade of pink at his comment. Hours passed by and they had performed several piano duets. He did not know why but he really felt comfortable talking with her even though it was just the second time that they met (third, if he would count the dream).

 

“That’s so amazing,” Kyuhyun interjected. He turned towards Seohyun and was surprised to see her staring at him. “Why are you staring at me like that?” Kyuhyun asked. “Is there any dirt on my face?”

 

She shook his head. “I’m just happy… that you enjoyed it.” She said trying to stop the tears from forming in her eyes.

“Let’s just play another song,” Seohyun said as she bit her lip and faced her piano again.

 

“I want the first one that you were playing when I arrived,” Kyuhyun requested. “It’s called ‘Call With All My Heart’. It was composed by the dearest person in my life,” she said while looking straight through his eyes.

 

“Where is that person now?” Kyuhyun asked. “He’s gone…” She answered.

 

“I’m so sorry about that,” Kyuhyun said. “It’s okay, but before he was gone, he promised that he will be by my side even in the next life.” She said. “Shall I play now?”

 

She started singing and Kyuhyun was amazed by her beautiful voice. She was an angel. Her innocent face and heavenly voice matched it very well. Her white dress only accentuated it more. She paused after the first verse and that disappointed Kyuhyun who wanted more.

 

“Why did you stop?” Kyuhyun said plaintively. “I want you to sing with me,” she answered.

 

“But I don’t know the lyrics,” he said. “It doesn’t matter. Just sing what’s in your heart. I know you can.” She said and then she played it again from the top. Then the second verse came… and he was surprised by himself. It was the first time that he heard that song but the lyrics flowed freely from his mouth. How come he knew the words to the song that he just heard?

 

After the song, the girl could not anymore stop her river of tears no matter how much she frantically tried to wipe them. Kyuhyun looked at her worriedly. He could not bear to see her cry. He could not allow those teardrops to ruin such a lovely face. He reached out to wipe her tears but she turned her back against him. “Don’t worry, I just remembered him,” she sobbed.

 

Kyuhyun really wanted to comfort her.  He approached her to touch her shoulder but she suddenly raised her hand gesturing him to stop. “Stay there. Just stay there, I’ll be fine.” She said as she choked back her tears. “I-I have to leave now.”

 

“Wait,” Kyuhyun called. She stopped on her tracks. “What’s your name?”

 

“Just call me Seohyun,” she said. Seohyun? Such a beautiful name.

 

“I am Kyuhyun.” Kyuhyun? So that’s your new name.

 

“Till next time then, Kyuhyun.”