The Undying Love

The Beautiful Stranger

 

If we call out with all our heart 
With just that thought
It will be all right.

 

Days passed by so fast and now it’s time for them to leave.

 

Donghae opened the room and found Kyuhyun going through Seohyun’s stuff. There was not a day that Kyuhyun would not look at them. They were his only physical remnants of his and Seohyun’s past. He caressed their only photograph that belonged to the days that they were both happy, enjoying each other’s company. The tears have dried up in his eyes not because he had moved on but because he could not cry anymore. Simply, there were no more tears left for him to shed.

 

“Shall we go now?” Donghae asked him. They have agreed to visit Seohyun’s grave before they leave for the city. It’s their last chance to bid farewell to the place.

 

Kyuhyun looked at him gloomily. He heaved a sigh and kept Seohyun’s stuff back to his bag. He stood up and followed Donghae.  

 

When they arrived at the garden, they found Yoona there who also visited her grandmother’s grave. She also took that time to clean the place and restore it to its original state, to the beauty that it had once before.

 

“Yoona-shi, good morning to you,” Donghae greeted her.

 

“Kyuhyun-oppa, Donghae-oppa, what a surprise visit!” Yoona told them.

 

“We came here to say our goodbyes, we will be going back to the city today,” Donghae said.

 

“Is that so?” A hint of sadness could be heard from Yoona’s tone.

 

“Don’t worry, we will visit here again as soon as I have—I mean as soon as we have time,” Donghae assured her. Yoona smiled back at him. “Okay, I will just tell grandma later.”

 

“Please let us also reach our gratitude to her,” Kyuhyun told her.

 

“I will, and by the way, the piano is already repaired, if you want to play, you can now.” Yoona told Kyuhyun. “I will leave you two there now.” Yoona walked near to the tombstone and whispered to it. “Grandma, you have some visitors.”

 

“Goodbye and have a good trip,” Yoona said before she left.

 

“Seohyun-shi, how are you there? As I have promised, I will take care of Kyuhyun until the two of you meet again. I will help him search for you. I hope you are not that far away because Kyuhyun here already misses you a lot. He can’t wait to see you again.” Donghae said and Kyuhyun had to nudge him.

 

“You are stealing my line,” Kyuhyun said to him. Donghae chuckled at him.

 

“Should I leave you alone?” Donghae asked him. He knew that Kyuhyun could express his emotions more when he’s alone. As expected, Kyuhyun nodded. As soon as Donghae left, he crouched near the tombstone and put the basket of red roses down.

 

“Seohyun, I miss you,” he said. “When will I see you again? You did not even leave a clue. How can I know where shall I start?”

 

As he pondered over this, a strong wind suddenly blew.

 

“Just call out with all your heart,”It seemed to whisper to his ear.

 

“Seohyun,” he turned around but there’s no one there. His line of sight fell into the piano which was looking as good as brand new. He walked toward it and played their song, the one that he composed for Seohyun. He did not expect that he would find the answers that he was looking for in that song.

 

If I call out with all my heart
Will I be able to meet that person 
Because I miss you, I miss you so much 
I feel like I’ll cry 

 

This was exactly what he felt right now. It reflected his emotions so much. He thought he could not cry anymore but he was wrong for a tear fell streamed down from his face and landed on the piano keyboard. The events of the past few days struck him like a thunder. Finding the one you have been longing and then losing her again all in one day, it was just too much, right?


If we call out with all our hearts
We’ll be able to meet
Because no matter where you are
My heart will be with you also 

 

He did not expect that he would find the answers that he was looking for in that song. “My heart always calls for you, Seohyun,” Kyuhyun thought. “And I hope you respond to it.”

 

Even if we walk far 
No matter how tiring it is
I can feel that we’re together
Because we once had a precious time
That only we can remember 
I can feel as if you’re with me.

 

Although Seohyun was already gone, there were times when he would feel that she was just beside her. There were nights when he would wake up in the middle of the night after dreaming of her. With each time, he could feel that she was just near… so near… yet so far, so out of his reach. He would look at the woods afterwards and reminisced the time they had before. Their moments, those memories, Kyuhyun promised that they would forever be treasured.

 

“I really hope I can find you soon, Seohyun. I miss you… I love you…”

--------------------

 

All throughout the trip back to the city, Kyuhyun had been silent. Worries filled his mind once again. What if he won’t be able to find her? What if he won’t see her again?

 

“Lightning doesn’t strike the same place twice.” Donghae reminded him but still he could not help but think of the other possibilities.

 

Kyuhyun’s mother called to tell him that she was not at home and it was better for him to go straight to the hospital.

 

“Kyuhyun, how is your vacation?” His mother asked him when he arrived at her room.

 

“It’s fine… I feel better now,” Kyuhyun lied. He was actually feeling worse.

 

“It’s good then. I have another good news to tell. You know my patient who has been comatosed for three months? She is awake now.” His mother told him.

 

“That’s great mom,” Kyuhyun said pretending to be happy and interested.

 

“Son, can I have a favor? Could you please bring this to room 314? I still have an appointment so I still cannot visit her today.” Then her mother handed him a basket of fruits and a bouquet of roses… roses… the same flower that Seohyun loved. Why is he always reminded of her?

 

He went to the third floor and looked for room 314. He was about to knock when he heard a melodious sound that caused him to froze in his spot.

 

I know about your hardships 
I hope you can laugh now 
Because I miss you, I miss you so much 
I feel like I’ll cry 


Even if we walk far 
No matter how tiring it is
I can feel that we’re together
Because we once had a precious time
That only we can remember 
I can feel as if you’re with me. 

 

His hands trembled as he turned the door knob. He slowly pushed the door open and he caught a glimpse of the girl. He could not see the face since she was facing away from him but he easily recognized that voice.

 

“Seohyun?” he called.

 

“Eh?” The girl turned around and looked at him. His eyes widened for the person in front of him was indeed Seohyun.

 

“Who are you?,” she asked him.

 

I may not be able to retain memories of you by that time happens but your heart will recognize that it’s me…

 

Kyuhyun remembered what Seohyun said before she left. He stared at her longingly.

 

“Seohyun, it’s really you,” he said to himself.

 

Kyuhyun tried hard to control his feelings and prevent himself from breaking down in front of her. No one could describe how much he wanted to embrace her, how much he wished for her to be in her arms again. However, he knew he could not do that now.

 

“I’m the son of Dr. Cho. She wanted to give this to you,” He said as he put his fruits and flowers on the nearest table.

 

“So you are Kyuhyun,” she said. “Nice meeting you. I am Seo Joohyun.” She stretched her hand for a shake and Kyuhyun gladly received it. It was so nice to feel her warmth once again and to see her bright smile.

 

“Excuse me, can I have my hand back?” Joohyun chuckled when Kyuhyun would not let go of it.

 

“I am sorry,” Kyuhyun smiled at her. Joohyun climbed back to her bed and sat there. She motioned Kyuhyun to sit on the metal stool near her bed.

 

“I heard you singing a while ago.” He told her.

 

 Joohyun’s face instantly flushed with embarrassment when Kyuhyun told her that he heard her sing. She covered her face with his hands. “Omo, that’s so embarrassing.”

“That was amazing, really. You have a good voice and the song is beautiful too. Where did you learn that?” he asked her.

 

“I don’t know,” she shrugged her shoulders. “It keeps playing on my head, though.” She told him. Joohyun looked at the window of her room before looking back at Kyuhyun. Now that he was close to her, she could observe his features more. She knitted her eyebrows and tilted her head as she looked intently at Kyuhyun.

 

“Have we met before?” She asked him and Kyuhyun was shocked.

 

“Perhaps, your soul wandered while you’re asleep and bumped into mine,” Kyuhyun simply said with an intriguing smile. Before Joohyun could decode the meaning of his statement, the nurse came in for her rounds.

 

“I’ll just go back later,” he said and he stood up from his seat. Then, he headed back to the door.

 

“Wait,” Joohyun stopped him while the nurse was checking on her IV drip. “I may sound crazy but do you believe in past lives? I feel a sort of connection with you.” She mumbled as she lowered her head, embarrassed at her blabbering.

 

“So do I.” Kyuhyun answered. “See you later, Joohyun,” he said with a wide smile.

 

“This time, I’ll definitely make sure it is a happy ending,” Kyuhyun said as he closed the door behind him.

------------------

 

A month later…

 

Donghae has just arrived from a business meeting, he was about to enter his office when his secretary called his attention.

 

“Excuse me, sir. Miss Goo Hara called here earlier this morning, asking why you are not replying to her messages and why you are not calling her anymore,” she told him.

 

Donghae contorted his face in irritation. He could not believe that girl could be so clingy. Their affair was just simply a summer fling. He expected that after several weeks of him not contacting her, she would realize that their relationship meant nothing to him and she would soon move on. Sun Ye was the girl that he met last summer in Japan when his father brought him there for an important business deal.

 

“What did you tell her?” he asked.

 

“I told her that you are not in your office because of a meeting. I told her that I could not answer her questions.” Her secretary replied. Donghae was very thankful that his secretary was not the type that would meddle with his business and spread gossips to her officemates. She was used to it and she did not bother to ask further questions.

 

“Just ignore her next time,” Donghae said.

 

“But she has called several times already and she kept sending messages the whole day,” her secretary complained, obviously getting tired of entertaining repetitive and non-business calls and messages.

 

“I will just take care of her,” Donghae said as he faced away and turned to open the door of his office but her secretary called him once more.

 

“Another thing, sir. Another girl by the name of Jessica Jung also left a message, asking when you will invite her out. She reminded me to remind you of that.”

 

“Jessica Jung?” Donghae knitted his eyebrows trying to recall who that girl was. The name was familiar but he could not quite remember where he met her. All he could recall was Yoona, Yoona, Yoona. Argh, why did he forget to get her number? It’s so stupid of him. Anyway, back to Jessica. After trying hard, it finally came to him. She was the girl that he met at the bar a week before he set off with Kyuhyun and the others on a vacation.

 

“Oh, tell her that I am too busy, I might not see her again,” He said straightforwardly. “Or you can choose to ignore her too.” His secretary just scratched the back of her head, slowly being troubled by the task she was about to do. Donghae noticed it so he told her, “Fine, don’t worry, I will take care of both of them. I will finish this business soon, okay?” He assured her with a smile as he entered his office.

 

As soon as he sat behind his desk, he pulled out his phone and started tapping his fingers on his phone.

 

To: Hara

I am sorry, but I don’t think this relationship will work out for us. I am not the right person for you. I hope you find your happiness soon and I tell you, it’s not with me. There are plenty of fishes in the sea. Anyway, it has been nice meeting you.

Message sent.

 

After sending the message, he leaned back on his swivel chair, praying that Hara would not bother him anymore. A beep from his phone made him jolt in his seat. Would that be Hara’s reply? Oh please… he hoped not t get into a long argument with that girl.

 

From: Hara

How dare you break up with me?! Don’t worry; I will follow your advice. I will replace you as soon as I can. I should have thought better to not go out with you. I should have chosen Junhyung instead. 

 

Donghae stared agape at his phone, outraged at her words. “The hell with her! She can run off with that Junhyung anyday! As if I care! Who does she think she is, a supermodel that all the guys in the world will fall head over heels for her?! Yoona is a thousand times better than her,” Donghae grumbled as he rolled his eyes and chucked his phone lightly on his desk. On the lighter side of it, at least he got rid of her.

 

Now, he started to pore on how he would take care of Jessica. He could simply ignore her but he doubted if he could avoid her forever. What if she showed up? What if they met again? How would he react? He wished he could set her up with another guy. Of course, Kyuhyun would be out from the options. He was now in a bliss relationship with his soulmate, Joohyun. Once a month, they would have an out-of-town trip together and when they were here, they could not be separated from each other’s arms. Even Heechul who was not interested much in engaging in a relationship got jealous of them. Then an idea finally struck him.

 

He took his phone back that was resting on the top of his desk and phoned Heechul.

 

“Hyung, when do you have a free time? Want to meet a girl? I assure you she’s pretty and has great figure.” Donghae told him on the other line.

-----------------

“Yoona, take care of yourself while you’re in the city,” Yuri said with a teary-eyed expression as she bid farewell to her granddaughter as she was about to board the train.

 

“I will grandma, I will call you always, take care of yourself too.” Yoona said, also fighting back the tears that were about to fall from her eyes.

 

The train started moving and Yoona was watching through the glass window the lush trees and the old houses passed by her in a blur. She felt a mixture of sadness but at the same time, she also felt a bit of excitement. In several hours’ time, she would soon reach Seoul. The idea of working in the city thrilled her and she also could not help but think of the possibility of meeting that sweet and handsome young man she met in the garden, Lee Donghae.

 

Gosh, what was she thinking? She shook these thoughts away from her head but still she could not help but smile at the thought. She really should stop thinking about it, she told herself. How can a city guy like him take interest on a simple countryside girl like her? There were plenty of pretty, sophisticated, and gorgeous girls in the city. She was quite sure they have the edge over her.

-------------------

 

“The almighty ladies’ man Lee Donghae is NOT currently seeing a girl?! What a headline!!!” His great old buddy Lee Hyukjae jeered at him as they had their lunch in a restaurant near the company building. “There are a lot of gorgeous girls out there!” As soon as he said this, he nudged Donghae and motioned him to look at the counter and there he saw a slim, tall girl ordering her own food. As she turned around, she noticed the two of them and winked at Donghae.

 

“She is the new intern Sun Ye. I think she is checking you out,” Eunhyuk said, looking at Donghae’s way when he did not receive an immediate response. Eunhyuk stared at him, shocked that his friend was acting indifferently. There was not even that smile that can virtually kill a dozen girls in one flash.

 

“Are you sick?” Eunhyuk asked, feeling Donghae’s forehead. “A while ago, I heard from Heechul-hyung that you are arranging a date for him. Breaking news: Lee Donghae is not only avoiding girls but also giving them away.”

 

 “I know there are a lot of girls out there but still, they got nothing on her,” Donghae muttered turning his attention to his newly-sliced pie.

 

“Her? Who is this exactly that you met at the woods?” Eunhyuk asked him.

 

Donghae who was busy eating his serving, raised his head up to answer Eunhyuk and there he saw her again. He was just sitting with his body facing the glass window of the restaurant and there he saw a girl with long straight black hair, tall, and fair-skinned. She was wearing a white long-sleeved cotton dress paired with a knee length navy blue skirt. Yes, he could not be mistaken. There she was basking under the sun with her dazzling simplicity, his one and only doe-eyed goddess. Was this a dream? Was this an illusion? He could not believe she was just across the street.

 

“Mr. Lee Donghae? Still on earth?” Eunhyuk asked waving his hand in front of him attempting to wake him up from his dazed state.

 

“There she is…” He muttered, still dazed. “Sorry, Hyukie, I am leaving now. I love you to bits but I love her more. Bye,” There was a brief tinkling of utensils and then Donghae dashed to the door without any other word.

-----------------

 

Yoona was walking along the streets still looking for the sign of the building where she would have her training when she felt that someone was following her from behind. Her friends had warned her before that the city could be full of bad guys who were taking advantage of the newbies in city like her. Was she really that obvious that she grew up in the countryside? She thought for a while. Yoona quickened her steps but she could feel that whoever was pursuing her was quickly catching up on her.  Then, a hand landed on her shoulder. She instinctively grabbed that hand and twisted its arm.

 

“Ouch,” the guy said. Using his other free hand, he took off his shades and Yoona instantly loosen her grip the moment she saw his face. “Yoona, it’s me,” Donghae whimpered as he stretched and massage his other arm.

 

“Donghae-oppa, I’m really sorry.” Yoona approached him with apologetic eyes as she checked his arm for possible injury. “I’m really sorry. I am indeed sorry. It’s so stupid of me to think that someone will commit a crime in the broad daylight and in the middle of the busy sidewalk. Gosh, I did not recognize you, I’m really really sorry.” Yoona bowed over and over again at him.

 

“It’s okay, I am at fault too. I startled you. I should have called your name instead. But it’s great that a girl knows how to defend herself,” he said patting her head. Yoona blushed at his action. She liked it when a guy pats her head or ruffled her hair a bit.

 

“Anyway, I am glad to see you here. I miss you,” he said with a sweet smile which made Yoona blush harder.

------------------

 

E P I L O G U E

 

Yoona and Donghae had been in a steady relationship for two years already. It was a complete shock for others who have known Donghae to have a one month relationship at most. He changed completely. Gone was the Mr. Playboy Lee Donghae and it was replaced by Mr. Romantic Boyfriend of Im Yoona.

 

“Yoona, I have something for you,” said Donghae whose hands were both hidden behind his back.

 

“What is it?” Yoona tilted her head in a cute way and pouted her lips.

 

“Ta-dan,” Donghae said as he whipped out a white handkerchief from behind his back.

 

“That’s it?” Yoona asked with one her eyebrows raised.

 

He flicked the handkerchief and then a white rose emerged from it. “For my doe-eyed goddess,” he said he handed put the rose behind her ear. They were at the balcony of Yoona and her grandmother’s residence. Downstairs, they could hear the harmonious voices of two persons who like them, were both deeply in love with each other.

 

 Even if we can’t see (can’t see) 
If we both close our eyes (even if we don’t) 
Because we can remember, even if we remain here
If we call out with all our heart 
With just that thought
It will be all right.

“I want to show you something,” Kyuhyun told Joohyun as he stood up from his seat in front of the upright piano. He held her hand and together they ambled into the forest. Joohyun was quite apprehensive because Kyuhyun had put a blindfold in front of her eyes. She did not like darkness. It reminded her of the long tunnel she dreamt of when she was still in coma.

 

Kyuhyun guided her as he pushed the wooden gate. “Can you take this off now?” Joohyun asked. Kyuhyun took the blindfold off her and she was amazed by what she saw. The roses were in full bloom at that time and it was really a splendid thing to see. Kyuhyun then pulled a lighter and a piece of paper out of his pocket. He lit the paper and Joohyun could see the edge of the paper turned into ashes.

 

“You might get burned,” a worried Joohyun told Kyuhyun.

 

“Don’t worry,” Kyuhyun said and with one flick, the burnt paper turned into a white box. “Donghae-hyung taught me some of his magic tricks,” he said proudly. He kneeled in front of her with one bended knee and opened the box. Joohyun gasped at the sight of the rose-shaped diamond encrusted ring.

 

“Will you marry me?” Kyuhyun proposed to Joohyun. Joohyun was speechless. There were only tears flooding her face. “Kyuhyun, oh I don’t expect-,” then she threw herself to Kyuhyun, She stooped low and wrapped her arms around his neck sobbing. “Yes, I want to marry you.”

 

“I love you,” Kyuhyun muttered, his hand running on her back.

 

“I love you too.” Joohyun answered. “Forever…”

 

They closed the gap between them with a passionate kiss.

 

Seohyun and Kui Xian might be both dead but their love is still very alive, burning fervently within the hearts of Kyuhyun and Joohyun. Together they will fulfill the promise of love that Seohyun and Kui Xian have left.

 

Lightning don’t strike the same place twice.

 

THE  END

 

A/N: Thank you for supporting the story. I have no net for the past few weeks grr... Anyway still can't get over SeoKYu moments in MAMA. There are lots of them OHMIGOSH!!!