Chapter 6

Distinctive Identities

Chapter Six


Jongin was having trouble dealing with everything that happened. Just a few days ago, his life was normal without any troubles. However, he somehow just got involved with the most infamous person in the school, Ahn Na Ri. It was all thanks to Kai.

And now, his life was in a mess.

Jongin was zoning out in the classroom and didn't even hear the school bell that rang, signaling that school was over.

"Jongin?" He heard a timid voice from his side, making him turn to look at her. She stood beside his table as she showed him a bashful smile. Jongin knew fairly well who she was, a classmate who has a crush on him. She put a mini-size bottle of yogurt on his table, her hands instantly moving to her back.

Jongin looked up to see her shyly looking down. "What are you thinking about? You didn't even hear the school bell ring..." she asked in a small voice. Jongin just showed her a small smile, standing up from his seat as he slung his bag over his shoulder.

"Thanks for the drink," Jongin lifted the bottle in front of her and brushed past her, making his way out of the classroom. It wasn't that she wasn't his type or anything  she was cute and smart since she was in his class, but he just didn't really want to interact with people and worse still, date. It's really bothersome for someone like him.

Back to his thoughts from before, he was thinking of how he was going to have to apologise to Na Ri in front of the whole school. He walked down the flight of stairs, reaching the foyer. It's going to be hard. He would have to deal with all the rumours and commotions after that. He crinkled his eyes in irritance while blowing some air out. His eyes naturally fell on Na Ri, who was giggling with her friend while they walked out of the school gate.

He stared at her figure while he stood at the school building. "Why does it have to be her out of everyone?" he respired, ruffling his hair while he groaned, walking out of the school gate as well. He was on his way home because he wanted to clear his thoughts. Since his house was just nearby, he reached the building in no time.

He walked alone to his doorstep and pressed the passcode in, taking off his shoes soullessly. He threw his bag to one side before loosening his tie and taking it off. He headed to the washroom before ing his first few buttons. But when he saw his reflection in the mirror, he stopped.

Clenching his fists, he held onto the sink while staring back at the reflection. His knuckles turned white as he clenched his jaws. He narrowed his eyes on the reflection, staring at his features carefully. He gave himself a dark gaze before he gulped.

"Look, I know you're in there Kai. Listen carefully to what I'm about to say," he whispered out, his grasp on the sink tightening while he gritted his teeth. "I've spent years to keep this low profile and you broke it in a day," he spoke, glowering at his own reflection.

"So I'm telling you to watch out! Because one day..." Jongin raised his voice, one of his hand whammed the sink. He breathed in and out hastily, his fingers shaking from the anger he was feeling with himself. "I'll make sure you disappear," he suspired out, staring right through his own reflection.


"Ahn Na Ri, are you listening to me?" the teacher raised her voice as her gaze was piercing while she stared at Na Ri from her office chair. Na Ri was called early to the school's general office for her inappropiate behaviour ‒ skipping classes and disrespectful behaviour towards teachers. Na Ri restrained herself from rolling her eyes because it partially wasn't her fault.

From what she remembered, the bell did ring before she left the classroom.

She stood with one leg bent as she slothfully swing both her arms to her back before just casually clasping some of her fingers together loosely. Her legs were starting to ache since she had stood for quite a while now and judging from the teacher's expression, she wasn't going to let off any time soon. She blinked when the teacher gave the table a few hard pats with her palm, gaining her attention.

"I asked you. Are you listening?" the teacher repeated with not much patience left.

"I have ears," Na Ri mumbled out without much thinking, instantly shutting when she saw the expression  on the teacher's face. They had already gotten everybody's attention diverted to them in the general office and many of the teachers were casting her unpleasant looks. Some even shook their head.

"I've told you many times have I not? You're at the bottom of the class. What are you supposed to do in this situation? And we're talking about the bottom class!" the teacher continued to nag as she ignored the answer Na Ri gave earlier. Na Ri would furrow her eyebrows everytime the teacher whacked on the table with a loud thud.

"Are you not going to answer me?"

Realising she had just been staring back at the teacher, Na Ri wet her lips as she nodded with a laid-back mindset. She did contemplate for a moment about her question. What is she supposed to do? "I'm supposed to pay attention in classes," Na Ri replied, her lips forming a straight line.

"Then why aren't you doing it?" the teacher asked back. Na Ri cursed in her mind because it was a waste of her time and she was getting irritated standing up for so long. She wasn't going to reply to that question, silence engulfing the tensed room. But, soon thereafter, she heard footsteps at the door. She lifted her head just like everyone in the office and saw the last person she wanted to see, walking in the office behind another teacher.

"You can just put the files here. Thanks Jongin," The voice broke the silence in the office.

He walked towards the teacher's table, not aware of the stare he was receiving as he placed the files down. The teacher patted his shoulder with a warm smile, making him show her a small smile back. He bowed and was about to turn for the door when his eyes met hers. He looked bewildered as always while he stared back at her, raising a brow.

"Ahn Na Ri!" The loudest thud was heard as the teacher slammed her palm on the table, making some other teachers startled with a jump. The teacher stood up as she heaved a loud sigh, her fingers messing up her hair. Jongin's gaze travelled to the teacher curiously but he sort of caught on what kind of situation it was. He gave Na Ri one last unreadable glance before leaving the office.

"Detention! After school today!" Great. Na Ri groaned as she blamed it all on him again.


"Na Ri ah! Aren't you going home?" Cho Rim flipped her hair as she slung her bag over her shoulder, pushing her chair in. Everyone was packing up and the classroom was filled with chats and laughter as always. Cho Rim walked towards the girl who was sitting on the chair with no plans of getting up, using her phone.

"Yah, Ahn Na Ri! Who are you texting now?" Cho Rim kicked her chair, making Na Ri glower at her. Many of their classmates had already left by then, the classroom turning quieter. "I'm not in a good mood now, don't test my patience." Na Ri blew air out to her bangs, focusing back on her phone.

"You're not going home?" Cho Rim asked after she noticed something must have happened. "I  have detention today, you can go ahead." Na Ri shrugged, locking her phone and throwing it to the table while she started to check her nails. She crossed her legs while looking at the clock.

"How bout Na Na? Does she know?" Cho Rim asked. She was the only one who knew of her sister's existence because Na Ri brought her over to her house before. "Right, almost forgot about that." Na Ri snapped her fingers, smiling to Cho Rim. Cho Rim responded with a smile back as she chuckled.

"Alright then, I'm going." Cho Rim ruffled her hair, causing Na Ri to glare at her again while she dialled for her home number. Cho Rim quickly escaped before she got caught by Na Ri which made Na Ri stifle a laughter at her childish actions. Cho Rim waved to her from the outside before disappearing by the windows.

Na Ri ended up by herself in the empty classroom as she waited for Na Na to pick up the phone.

"Na Na?" she asked, slightly brightening up from hearing her sister's voice. "I have some work to do in school and I'll be going back late today. Did you eat lunch?" she asked, perturbed but feeling culpable at the same time. She smacked her lips while humming as she hear her sister respond to her questions.

"Go get some food from the refrigerator alright? I'll get some snacks on my way back." she told her before ending the call. She exhaled air, pushing her bangs up just to let them fall naturally back. Na Ri stood up while she frowned throughout. She scanned the classroom before her hands lifted to touch her forehead. How long am I going to take to clean this whole ing classroom?


[A/N]: More bits of Na Ri's life.