Chapter 5

Distinctive Identities

Chapter Five


"Na Na, I'm leaving. Grab yourself some toast in the kitchen," Na Ri said in a hurry, giving herself one last check on the mirror. She smacked her lips after applying some red lipsticks and put her hair to the front, satisfied with her looks. She took her black purse on the counter before walking out of the room.

"You can also heat up the leftover food in the refrigerator. I'll be home late," Na Ri informed the little girl who was watching some programme on the television. Na Na turned her head to see Na Ri already wearing her high heels at the doorway. She walked towards her before waiting patiently because she knew that she would have to lock the door. Na Ri took a step forward with her black heels before planting a sloppy kiss on Na Na's forehead and smiling widely.

"I'm going. Don't open the door to strangers," she laughed before walking out in a hurry. Na Na was familiar with this situation since it happens almost every night. She knew fairly well that her sister was going to clubbing and was also aware of what 'clubbing' was. However, Na Na has always admired her sister for her bravery and how Na Ri would  always get what she wanted.

After locking the door, Na Na walked back to the living room as she sat on the couch, continuing to watch her programme. Even though she just came home from her elementary school, she was an independent child who does everything by herself automatically.

On the other hand, Na Ri was late for her meeting. She quickly stepped in the lift and waited impatiently in the elevator while checking herself out with her reflection on her phone. She wet her lips and walked out of the elevator when it rang, signaling that they reached the level. She could walk rather fast in her high heels as she hailed a taxi at the streets.

Settling herself down in the taxi, she informed the driver the destination before leaning back. She would often check the time with her phone. It was around 11.34 p.m and the time she was supposed to reach was 11.00. Just earlier, she fell asleep at home and had totally forgotten that she was supposed to meet Cho Rim at the new club today.


Fixing her high-wasited skirt that she wore, she took confident steps forward. She stopped at the entrance and lifted her head to see two words formed with neon lights above the entrance. She was looking at the attractive header written in bold  Night Cloud  when someone grabbed her shoulders from behind, startling her.

Turning her head to the back, Cho Rim was smiling widely like a Cheshire cat as she batted her fake eyelashes. Her hair was curled in a wavy and y manner and her eyeliner was on point. Na Ri threw her arm over her shoulder, head-locking her instead.

"You didn't bring anyone else along...did you?" Na Ri asked with a contagious smile as Cho Rim tittered while hitting Na Ri's arm for her to let go.

"I didn't alright? You were the one who said you didn't want anybody else," Cho Rim managed to say after Na Ri removed her arm, laughing genuinely. Cho Rim's eyes automatically travelled to the big header as she muttered the two words out loud.

"So this is the new club you were talking about?" Cho Rim asked even though she knew the answer to the question. Na Ri hummed with a grin as she took another step forward when the queue to enter shortened. She somehow managed to spot this nightclub a few days ago and it was newly opened. It seemed popular since there were many people and besides, she was getting bored of the old ones.

"Let's go then," Cho Rim linked her arms with Na Ri's while Na Ri searched for her fake identification card in her wallet. The guard checked the cards before they could enter the club. The moment they stepped in, screams of youths could be heard from a distant as it was pitch black at the corridoor of the entrance.

When they finally made their way through, it was obstreperous. The number of people actually caused Na Ri to be appalled for a second because there were just too many. There wasn't even space for them to squeeze past and it was mad. With the rowdy music and dancing teenagers, Na Ri's heart was already drumming according to the rhythmn of the music.

"Let's have fun tonight!" Cho Rim tried to shout as loudly as she could beside Na Ri but her voice was just drowned out by the loud music. Na Ri didn't manage to catch it but just nodded nonetheless.

"Do you want to go even inside? I think that'll be better," Na Ri suggested but Cho Rim heard it. She agreed and they somehow were barely able to make it past the crowd to somewhere less crowded. Before Na Ri realised, they were already at the area where there were cushioned seats that were shaped in a semi-circle. Na Ri found one that was empty since everyone was busy dancing and sat down. When she looked around her in search of Cho Rim, she had already disappeared.

It didn't take long for her to catch her already engrossed in dancing with strangers at the dancefloor. Na Ri just chucked to herself before a waitress approached her for her order. She was flustered at the moment before she saw a board that has the menu written in neon markers at the table. She ordered a champagne for herself and the waitress left her to get ready her order.

"Are you alone?" She heard a voice just to turn around and see a middle-aged man dressed in a suit. He gave her a suspicious smile but she could obviously see that he was drunk. Must be those business workers who came here to have fun. She furrowed her eyebrows before ignoring his words as she pretended she couldn't hear him due to the blasting music.

Just then, her order came as the waitress popped her champagne in front of her and served a glass for her. Na Ri showed her a polite smile before crossing her legs and taking a sip from her glass. It wasn't long before she felt the area beside her sank as she turned around to see the same man from before, already making himself comfortable beside her.

"What the actual fuc  " She was so close to cursing but she felt his hand draping over her shoulder as he pulled her closer to him. He reeked of strong alcohol at the moment and she felt like puking when his scent invaded her nose. She threw his arm away harshly before she stood up from the seat, turning around to give him a menacing stare.

That man was just mumbling incoherent words as his eyes were already closed. She rolled her eyes at the view and walked away to find a more decent spot. For some reason, she didn't felt like dancing or drinking alcohol. Even though they were her favourite things, she wasn't really in the mood today. She just felt like watching rather than actually doing it.

Just when she walked past the seating area, there was a particular person that caught her eyes despite the terrible lightings. He was leaning against one of the cushion seats with a woman in his arms. He was drinking with his arm holding onto a woman's waist. He laughed while carressing her face and it made Na Ri wanted to chunder.

Na Ri just stood in front of them with an incredulous expression while she watched them openly since they were just too preoccupied with each other to recognize her. It wasn't even long before she watched Kai took the iniative to devour the woman's lips. They started making out senselessly on the cushion seats as Na Ri scoffed to herself.

"That bastard.." Na Ri told herself and reminded herself to never trust people again, fishing her phone out. She captured a picture whereby he was kissing her passionately and made sure his face could be seen. Feeling naseous, she didn't even want to watch them when he continued to pepper butterly kisses on her neck.

"Go rot in hell, Kim Jongin." she spat before making her way out of the club.


"Why is she here again?" Students' murmurs could be heard, causing Jongin to look up from his phone. He was wearing his head phones but they were not playing any sort of music since he just wanted avoid communicating with people. It was the best method to him. Just looking at the door, his eyes followed her as she walked in without minding what everyone else was saying.

It was quite surprising to him  how she acts as if she couldn't hear what everyone was saying because he was pretty sure she could — and with all the mean comments, it surprised him to see her not affected in any way. Snapping out of his thoughts, Na Ri had already snatched his headphones off of him.

"Who does she think she is? Coming to this classroom so often now." Another student spoke sarcastically as Jongin couldn't help but cast the student an irritated look.

"Are you even listening to me?" Na Ri snapped her fingers in front of him as she rolled her eyes. She blew air out while running her fingers through her hair once again. A habit of hers  he noticed. 

"What?" Jongin snarled, feeling patience ticking in him as he watched her from his seat.

"I said let's talk. I have something to show you." Na Ri repeated rudely, still pissed off at him for having to witness that kind of thing yesterday. She definitely wasn't pleased with how she even let him go after that time she stalked him at the park.

She even admitted that she was wrong!

"Why should I? I have nothing to say to you," Jongin casually said back before he was about to just put his head phones back when Na Ri's next few words made him stop.

"I'm more than sure you would regret this choice though," Na Ri responded back with a truimphant smirk, provoking him in any way possible. He heaved a husky sigh, respiring out that caused his bangs to move slightly before he slammed on the table again and stood up, towering over her.


"What do you want to say? I have no time for your crappy things," Jongin said in an annoyed tone while he leaned against the wall, his hands in his pockets. Na Ri didn't listen to his words but searched for the photo she took yesterday on her phone.

Being curious, Jongin eyes were fixed on her phone as well to figure out what she was trying to do but he couldn't see the screen. When she finally found the photo, she shoved her phone to the front of his face before she let him take a good look at it.

Jongin's eyes rounded when he saw it. It was clearly a photograph of him kissing another girl in a club. He was bemuddled for a second before he quickly understood what must have happened. It didn't take him long to also fixed the puzzle and figure out why Na Ri came to find him the other time. Screw it. You're so dead, Kai.

"So? Do you have anything to say?" Na Ri taunted him. Jongin just instinctly reached out to snatch her phone away but missed it as Na Ri's reflexes were faster. She smirked while she looked at him. He had a stupefied expression on his face and she was enjoying it at the moment.

"Are you still going to say it's not you? Protecting your precious goody-two-shoes image in the school," she scoffed incredulously, tucking her hair behind her ear as she kept her phone in her pocket. "Isn't it you? He looks exactly like you, doesn't he?" she asked sarcastically.

She noticed how Jongin stiffened as he even took a step closer, no longer leaning on the wall. He did scanned around the area to check for anybody else who might eavesdrop on the conversation they were having. "What? You're already worrying? This is the back of the school, I'm sure nobody's around." Na Ri deliberately added with the smirk never leaving her face.

"What do you want?" Jongin finally managed to utter. So it really is him?

"How can someone even be so different? A perfect kid in the morning and someone like this at night..." she continued to irk him as she shook her head in disappointment. "I wonder what wiill happen if the school knows about this..."

"I'm asking you what do you want?" Jongin hissed as he stared at her intensely with a threatening stare.

"I don't want anything," Na Ri said innocently, raising and dropping her shoulders. "Then what's your motive for doing this?" Jongin persisted, knowing that she was up to something suspicious. But in his mind, he was already cursing since he was caught by the least person he would want to be caught by.

Before then, after Na Ri approached him in the classroom, he did ask his friends about her.

Knowing exactly how her reputation and popularity in school is like, this is the worst case scenario for him. "On second thought...I have something in my mind," Na Ri smiled widely as she looked back at him. Jongin just stared back at her, slightly horrified.

"Apologise to me in front of the whole school,"

"For?" Jongin raised a brow as he crossed his arms, trying to muster up his courage because this perosn he was currently dealing with was a strong competitor.

"The words you said last time," Na Ri told him. Jongin recalled for a moment and it hit him that he said those words the other time. Instantly regretting what he said last time, he wanted to punch himself for even saying those words without thinking. I'm in deep trouble.

"Anyways, it's not the truth, isn't it? Seeing how you go around hooking up with girls at night..." Na Ri showed him an innocent smile as she poked her fingers together and tapped her foot against the floor.

"I didn't lie," he insisted. "Then what's this?" Na Ri waved her phone that she took out from her pocket. She purposely moved it in front of his eyes so that he understands fairly well that if she spreads the photograph, his reputation would be ruined.

"Damn it," Jongin scowled.


[A/N]: Let me make a few things clear. Kai is a personality living in Jongin's body and yes he has Dissociative Identity Disorder. Now, Jongin's caught but Na Ri still didn't know that he has spilt personalities. She just thinks that Jongin was hiding how he acts outside of school from everyone.

Also, in this story, as long as I use the name Kai, it's the other personality and it means Jongin has became Kai because he couldn't control himself. If I use the name Jongin, it's Jongin. As for why Kai is appearing, I haven't really mention it in any chapters. But I will explain it soon. (Especially why he keeps appearing at night) Upvote and comment on this story!