Time to Sing

Oversea Dreams and Love Incidents

Ah, Wednesday finally the middle of the week.

“Wow, what’s with such a hearty breakfast this morning Yunho-oppa,” Min and I ask as we stare hungirly at the doenjang soup, rice, eggs, kimchi, and bean sprouts.

“You guys are performing your songs today, right. You’ll need the energy, plus it’s my way of wishing you good luck,” Yunho replies with a smile.

“That’s right! We’re performing our songs today,” Min recalls, “I’m a bit nervous.”

“I am too dongsaeng, but we’re going to do fine,” I say trying to reassure the both of us.

“You guys will do great,” Yunho says reassuringly.

~We arrive at the bus stop~

“Annyeong,” Yonghwa greets us, “gwenchana?”

“Annyeong. Neh, just a little nervous about performing our songs in Vocals class today,” We explain.

“I’ve never heard you guys sing, but I’m sure you’ll both do wonderful,” He says with an encouraging smile, "fighting!" and then he heads off to the practice room to meet his band.

“Neh, fighting!” We respond with nervous smiles.

“Wae are we so nervous unnie. I mean, we’re just performing in front of the class and most of our classmates are nice,” Min states.

“Yeah, but still would be embarrassing if we forgot the lyrics or messed up some notes,” I say.

“We won’t mess up though. We’ve performed songs lots of times back home with our dance crew in front of hundreds of strangers,” Min replies.

“True, I guess we’re just nervous because it has been two years or so since we last performed,” I say.

“Maybe, but we got to get focused…get in the singing zone unnie!” Min says determinedly.

~Ring~

“Okay, but can we do that after Math class,” I jokingly ask.

“Unnie~,” Min whines, but ends up laughing and shaking her head.

The usual happened in class; took notes, completed a couple of worksheets, and get assigned homework. The only difference was that we were given a pop quiz.

~Ring~

“Pop quizzes are cruel and unusual punishment,” I say as we walk out.

Min and I quickly walk into dance class and take our seats.

“Next Tuesday and Wednesday you all will perform out in the courtyard the song your partner and you picked. The rest of the week will be practice days, so please use the time wisely. After I take attendance, you may go find a place to practice. Anyone that tries to sabotage another group will get a failing grade for the class. Remember that if one person in a group does not practice with their partner it will affect the group’s grade and your grade,” the teacher explains.

After roll call, everyone got with their partner’s to decide on a good place to practice the choreography of the song they chose.

“THE ROOF!” Donghae and Hyukkie simultaneously yell, “I called it first! No I did! Stop repeating me!”

“It’s a nice day outside, so Rin and I will be practicing our choreography on the roof,” Donghae states and drags me out of the classroom by the wrist.

“That’s wae Min and I are going to practice our choreography on the roof,” Hyukkie says and drags Min out of the classroom shortly after us.

“Whichever team gets to the roof first wins and we’re in the lead,” Donghae says triumphantly.

“I know a shortcut though,” Hyukkie says mockingly, sticks out his tongue, and dashes off with Min being dragged behind him.

“CHEATER!!” Donghae yells then runs off while Rin is being dragged behind him.

“Waaaaaiiiiittttt! Min yells.

“No can do, we got to beat Hae to the roof!” Hyukkie replies.

“Ssssssssttttttoppppp,” I yell.

“Keep running!” Donghae says.

“How can I when my feet aren’t even touching the floor!” I explain.

“Well then put your feet on the floor and start running!” Donghae replies.

“We made it first! NO we did! You did not!” Hyukkie and Donghae yell simultaneously.

“You tied,” Min and I tell them.

“What?!” They both quickly turn to us.

“You tied,” We repeat.

“Are you sure?” They ask.

“Yes,” We reply.

“What’s wrong?” They ask.

“You dragged us here the whole way,” We explain.

“Oh yeah..sorry about that,” They sheepishly reply.

“Don’t let it happen again, unless we’re running for our lives,” We say.

We began practicing the choreography after Donghae and Hyukkie came to an agreement on who would be practicing on which side of the roof.

~Ring~

“See you guys later,” We say to Hyukkie and Donghae as we part ways.

“Are you ready to perform the song, Min-ah,” Jaejoong asks catching up to us in the hall.

“Neh,” Min says a bit determined sounding.

“How about you, Rin-ah,” G.O. asks.

“Uh…sure,” I hesitantly reply.

“You sound nervous,” G.O. says while kind of smirking.

“Just a bit,” I reply.

“You don’t need to be nervous. You sing really well and have worked hard,” G.O. says.

“Gomawo,” I say with a bashful smile, “we got this! We’re going to do good! Fighting!”

“That’s the spirit! Fighting!” G.O. enthusiastically replies.

“Fighting!” Min, Jaejoong, and Yesung shout with wide grins.

We walk into Vocals class and sit in our seats. Leeteuk, Kyuhyun, Yuri, and Taeyeon arrive with the teacher walking in right behind them.

“I hope everyone has worked hard and prepared well for today’s performance. After I take attendance we will head to the auditorium. I wish everyone the best of luck and don’t be nervous, we are all friends here,” Utada Hikaru says encouragingly.

“Do I have any volunteers that would like to go first,” Utada Hikaru asks.

“We would like to go first songsaengnim,” a boy and girl, who are siblings, raise their hands.

“The youngest group in the class has the courage. Smart move to go ahead and get it over with, instead of getting more nervous after a group goes. Whenever you both are ready,” Utada Hikaru says after writing their names down on the evaluation sheets.

They begin to sing Akdong Muscian’s 200%, after nodding to the teacher’s assistant to start the music. At the end, everyone applauds them.

"That was very wonderful! Is there anyone who wants to volunteer to go next,” the teacher asks, “if no one raises their hands, then I’m going to assign a number to the rest of the groups.”

“We’ll go next songsaengnim,” Taeyeon quickly shouts out.

Kyuhyun gives a look that says ‘um, okay…sure.’

“Any volunteers after them,” The teacher asks and waits a couple of seconds, “okay then after them, G.O. and Rin. Fourth will be Leeteuk, Yesung, and Yuri, then Jaejoong and Min, and the others will be decided after them. If we run out of time, then the rest will perform next class time.”

Kyuhyun and Taeyeon performed “Come Back to Me” by N Train. G.O. and I performed B2ST’s “Mystery.” Leeteuk, Yesung, and Yuri performed HITT’s “Good Night.” Jaejoong and Min performed “Shock” by B2ST.

“We have enough time for one more group,” states the teacher, “so the group that is doing “I Feel Good” by EXID is next." Everyone applauded after each performance.

~Ring~

“The groups that did not perform today please be prepared to go next class. Great job to the groups that did perform today and please make sure to grab your evaluation sheets before you leave,” the teacher quickly says.

Jaejoong, G.O., Min, and I pick up our evaluation sheets and walk out of the auditorium.

“I knew I was a second off on the first chorus,” Min says while looking over the evaluation sheet.

“I knew I sang the wrong note at that part,” I say, “ugh the nerves got to me.”

We continue chatting about our evaluations as we headed to the cafeteria.