the weeks drag on

My Small World
forty-one
— —
 

Weeks dragged on and Jungkook’s schedule didn’t get any less busy. But Hyunjung could tell that he was trying his best, and that he tried to make time to see her when he could, and if she was honest, nothing could make her happier. As the weeks went on, his team received recognition from competing schools, which was what they were aiming for – they were almost there, but this couldn’t distract them from working harder.

Hyunjung also talked to Eunsook more; through Eunsook, she could ask how Jungkook was doing, if he was okay, if he was doing well in his classes; did he learn those formulas in mathematics? Hyunjung would have asked him herself, but she didn’t see him frequently enough at school to do so, and asking him when they did have time together wasn’t even thought about.

And ever since Jungkook mentioned her and Taehyung, Hyunjung had been keeping a close eye. What made Jungkook think that in the first place? Perhaps she was spending too much time with Taehyung? She had spent weeks mulling over this hypothesis, and so she made up her mind to try not talking to him as much, despite how much she hated the thought of it. But her bond with Jungkook was delicate, and she wanted to find out how she could strengthen it. As stupid as it was, she couldn’t think of anything else. And so the mission to talk to Taehyung less was initiated.

But she found this more difficult than she thought, and ended up avoiding him entirely.

She wouldn’t say good morning to him, she wouldn’t walk with him to class, she ran to the bathroom at lunch times to hide and avoided the cafeteria and the library. It was almost tortuous.

Of course Taehyung noticed. While Hyunjung thought she was an absolute mastermind for coming up with the idea, Taehyung thought the exact opposite. Hyunjung executed the plan with all the grace as a sack of vegetables toppling over. She couldn’t have been any more obvious. At first, Taehyung ignored this and appreciated the temporary silence at lunch times instead of hearing her terrible jokes. Why did the penguin fail his exam? Because he winged it! What do elephants have that no other animal can have? Baby elephants! He died a little inside every time he’d hear one. But as the days went by and Hyunjung continued to avoid him, he knew something was up and had to confront it.

He found her eating lunch at the back of a tree on her own cross-legged, and her face was blank when his shadow loomed over her. “You’re avoiding me,” he said, his tone cold and his hands in his pockets.

was agape, her sandwich still in her hand while she scoured in her head for an answer. “No?” she replied sheepishly.

He scowled. “If you don’t want to talk to me anymore, just say it instead of acting like I don’t exist for three weeks.”

Hyunjung blinked at his tone, wondering whether he was mad or upset. Was it possible to be both at the same time? “Look, I’m sorry.”

“Did I do anything wrong or something? Or is it something else?” He had a feeling that it was something else.

It was best if she told him, but she was afraid of what he would think. “Some time ago, Jungkook asked if there was something between me and you. I said no, but I wanted to see what would happen if I avoided you for a while.”
 

Taehyung didn’t look at her, his hair falling over his eyes and his hands still in his pockets. After some time, he asked, “And did you achieve what you wanted?”

“No,” she said instantly, her voice downcast. “I’m sorry, Taehyung.”

“If you’re worried talking to me will sabotage your relationship with Jungkook, I’ll stop talking to you.” He his heel, leaving her eyes wide and open.

She scrambled to her feet, dropping her sandwich aside. “W-wait. Taehyung.” What had she done? “Taehyung! Taehyung, I’m sorry.”

But he continued to walk away wordless, his hands in his pockets and his head bowed. She stood there, arms helpless at her sides.

 

Taehyung did a better job avoiding Hyunjung than she avoiding him. In class, he never sent a glance her way, and when she’d try say something to him, he’d give her the cold shoulder. This hurt Hyunjung, but she knew that she was the one who hurt him first, and she regretted every moment of it. How could she lose such a valuable friend?

After school, she hung around at the field, sitting under the shade of a tree with her bag next to her and watching Jungkook training with the team. She was at a distance, so no one could notice her, but she was still there. From where she was sat, she couldn’t make out who was who; just little bodies running around clad in the school colours. The only people she could distinguish were overlooking P.E teachers and Eunsook sat reading at the corner of the pitch. Usually, Hyunjung would sit next to her, but today she didn’t feel like talking to anyone.

She huddled her knees to her chest and rested her chin on top of them, staring fixedly at the guys running around, but her mind drifted elsewhere. She wasn’t thinking of anything in particular, but everything else was a haze. Someone plopped down next to her and she halted her reverie to see who it was.

“You okay?” It was Jimin.   

“Yeah.” She shifted to let him have more room.

“I don’t think you are.”

Hyunjung said nothing to this, because he was right. She sighed and plucked a handful of grass. “I just… I don’t know what’s going on anymore.”

“Are you and Taehyung still friends? I was just wondering… You two haven’t been talking for a while.”

“I don’t know.” She buried her face in her arms which were folded on top of her knees. “I’m so bad at this. Maybe I was never supposed to interact with humans… or have friends.”

“Now you’re just exaggerating. You can’t let a little drama get to your head. The situation isn’t even that bad.”

“You sound like Shinae.”

“Not the first time someone’s said that,” he said, his tone flat. “But really, why avoid him in the first place? Did he do something?”

“No,” she replied with a sulk. “It’s all my fault. Jungkook just asked if something was going on between me and Tae. I don’t really know why I tried avoiding him, it hasn’t done anything.”

“Maybe it’s your guilty conscience.”

“I don’t even know.”

“You’re very unsure of everything, aren’t you? You’ve been saying ‘I don’t know’ a lot,” he said with a chuckle.

She sighed, looking at the players on the field, and then at Eunsook who was watching them. “What do I do?”

He shrugged and crossed his legs, thinking. “Well, if nothing’s happened between you and Taehyung, then nothing’s happened. Otherwise, there’s no reason for you to be guilty. Jungkook’s just a little protective over what he has, that includes people he values. He’s a good sport, but hates to lose or be second-best to anything.”

“I guess I know that much.”

He nudged her with his shoulder. “Just talk to Taehyung. Seeing you two not talking to each other breaks my heart, you know?” He clutched his hand to his chest in an exaggerating manner which bubbled a small laugh out of her.

“Okay. Thanks, Jimin.”

“Anytime.”

“Why did you come here anyway?”

“Just wanted to go out and see Jungkook. I saw you sitting here and decided I wanted to talk to you.” He gave her a broad smile and slung an arm over her shoulders. She ended up being squeezed toward him.

“Ji-Ji-min. I—I can’t breathe...”

He laughed in response to her struggle but didn’t let go of her. “You’re exaggerating!”

“No I’m not!” she laughed.

“You are!”

She was glad to have a friend like Jimin by her side. Hyunjung made up her mind; she was going to talk to Taehyung and make it up to him. Even if he doesn’t listen to her, she’s going to try.

 

Jungkook approached Hyunjung after practice which finished till after seven in the evening. “Hey. Did you wait? You know you didn’t have to wait for me.” He slung his bag over his shoulder and Hyunjung did the same.

“I wanted to. We haven’t walked home together in a while. Here, let me hold that.” She reached out for his other bag containing his sportswear, but he lifted it high from her reach.

“No need,” he said with a grin. “But thanks anyway.”

They didn’t talk much on the way home, mainly because Hyunjung didn’t know what to say and Jungkook was worn out. But they were comfortable with each other’s silence.

They arrived at the convenience store, which was where they had to separate. Jungkook eyed her while she looked down, and he tipped her chin up gently. She looked at him with wide eyes, and Jungkook proffered her a lopsided smirk which eventually merged into a smile. He leaned down and placed a lingering kiss at the corner of . “See ya,” he whispered, his breath on her skin.

She gulped. “S-See you.”

She watched him walk away, his bag slung over one shoulder and his head held high. She should have noticed before, but he had always walked like that.

Author's Note:

would you kill me if I put hyunjung with jimin at the end. I'm just kidding. Seriously, I'm just kidding. I wouldn't do that.