Sports Festival

My Small World
thirty
— sports festival —
 

The girls’ had finished their volleyball match, and it was now time for the boys’ sports highlight. Shinae and Hyunjung was among the second years at the side-lines so they could watch the game. Taehyung came later on to sit next to them. Hyunjung squinted to see a familiar figure by herself not too far away from them. She tapped Shinae on the shoulder. “Hey, isn’t that –?”

“Eunsook! Come sit with us!” Shinae waved her hands in the air, and timid Eunsook tried her best to get over to them quickly. Hyunjung patted a space between her and Taehyung, though he raised a brow at her when she did, he eventually moved so that Eunsook could sit between them. 

The first and third years were playing their matches in different locations, after lunch was when the whole school would go together on the field for the track events. It wasn’t until when the whistle blew to start the second year’s field hockey game when Hyunjung had truly realized she had been underestimating Jungkook’s sporting abilities. Like the rest of the students and teachers, she had always acknowledged that he was an impressive sportsman, but this was the first time when she actually paid attention.

There wasn’t much she knew about field hockey, but Jungkook had at least told her the playing positions; the forwards, which were the first-line attackers, having the least amount of defensive responsibility, and were the ones which were most responsible for scoring goals and were the opportunists when inside the shooting circle. The left and right wing players are also part of the front line of attackers. Their main purpose is to take the ball down the side-lines then pass it to the middle of the field to set an opportunity to score. Midfielders. The midfield line has the most versatile players of all the positions, a good midfielder excels in passing, receiving and shooting the ball. But the most obvious one to Hyunjung were the defenders. When Jungkook was explaining this to her, she could tell that he was passionate with the idea that the defence line was, without question, one of the most important positions.

Unfortunately, this match had no goal keepers, usually they would, but field hockey in South Korea wasn’t a common sport. It was thanks to Mr Song that they played it in their school since he went on a teacher exchange a few years ago and went to England where it was more common. But the reason for no goalkeepers was because the school didn’t have the protective gear, but then again it could be a good thing; being padded up with a goalkeeping helmet, leg guards, kickers, along with a chest guard, wasn’t the most appeasing thought. Anyways, a goalkeeper wasn’t required, it just meant both teams had to work twice as hard. The final game was class 2A, which was Hyunjung’s class, against 2B. The game just began, but it didn’t take long for the intensity to up a notch.

“Wow. 2B’s defence is solid,” Shinae observed, a subtle crease appearing along her forehead when a defender on the opposing team blocked a shot from their own. “It seems like they had a feeling that we would choose Jungkook as our centre,” Shinae said. The main jobs of the midfielders were to control the pace of the game and keep their own team’s possession of the ball. Players in this position support the forwards and it’s essential they’re fast with good stamina as they have to support both the attackers and defenders and play on both halves of the pitch. It was no surprise that Jungkook was selected as the centre, but it was an obvious choice; everyone in the other classes knew about Jeon Jungkook, which meant they had the opportunity to change their strategy in advance.

But Jungkook was like some kind of rocket. He was fast. And any mistake one of the other team members made, Jungkook would step in and compensate for it. When Youngjae, their right wing, had accidentally passed the ball towards the direction of one of 2B’s midfielders instead of their own, Jungkook was quick to react and engaged in a tackle with Jongin who was the centre for class 2B, in order to get back possession of the ball.

“Why aren’t the others helping Jungkook?” Eunsook asked to no one in particular, when she saw Hoseok and Yoongi at a distance from Jungkook and Jongin who were still engaged in tackle. Because of the cheers coming from the others around them, it was difficult to hear her quiet voice but they managed to catch what she said. Taehyung answered Eunsook’s question.

“You can’t have two players against one, it would be dangerous and can count as obstruction. Hoseok and Yoongi can’t do anything at the moment, not while Jungkook and Jongin are tackling, the most they can do is to stand behind him and back Jungkook up, just in case he makes a mistake.”

Shinae piped in, “But generally, two players against one is simply unfair.”

“Yeah, or that.”

Hyunjung was surprised. “You really know the game well,” she complimented. She looked at Eunsook who was nodding her head in agreement.

Taehyung knew she was about to say that. “Taewon loves field hockey. Thanks to that brat I’ve managed to almost memorize the rules, regulations and key strategies,” he said.

“Then why aren’t you playing?”

“Knowing the rules and actually playing aren’t the same.”

“So? I think you’d be good.”

Taehyung scoffed. “Compared to the players right now? I doubt so.” He gestured to Jungkook and Jongin who were still engaged in one-on-one tackle. The intensity between the two captains left Hyunjung in awe.

There was a point when the ball was trapped between the ends of their hockey sticks, but Jungkook had the quicker reaction and movement, and had already passed the ball to Hoseok who then swiftly passed it to Jimin who was one of the forwards. The defenders of the opposing team took time to register that the tackle was over and didn’t realize until Jimin was in the shooting circle. They were too late. Jimin had accurately shot the ball into the goal with a strong push of his hockey stick. Both teams were now even. All members began making their way to their original formations on their own defensive halves and the ball was brought back to the centre of the pitch.

“Well done!” Jungkook hollered, to which all his team members answered with a thumbs up or a grin. Jungkook and Jongin returned to their position at the centre of the pitch; the centre pass belonged to the team who didn’t score the goal, which was Jongin’s. Jongin wasted no time; his hockey stick touched the ball and it started. He dribbled the ball before swiping it to Sehun who manoeuvred it towards 2A’s defence line.

-

Jongin’s team’s midfielders and forwards had managed to break through 2A’s defence, it was close. They all returned to original formation, but since it was 2B who scored, this time it was Jungkook’s turn to initiate the centre pass.

Mr Song who was umpiring the game went up to the centre circle. “This is still a close game with a one-point difference, so because of time and the possibility that another tie breaker happens, the goal is now worth two points. Whenever you’re ready, Jeon,” he said and stepped back to give them space. Everyone on the side lines were quiet. They waited. And among them, there was a girl there, hoping that her faith would reach out to Jungkook.

Jungkook had to focus. Eyes down, he inhaled and exhaled once, both hands gripping the handle of the hockey stick. Don’t get distracted. It starts as soon as Jungkook’s hockey stick makes contact with the ball, until then, no one can steal possession over it or even touch it.

“Come on, Jeon.”

He looked up, but didn’t let it waver his focus. Because of the regular formation, Jongin was directly opposite Jungkook as both were centre midfielders. Jongin tapped the end of his hockey stick onto the ground beside the ball, almost as if he were taunting him. “Whoever scores next, wins,” Jongin said.

Jungkook smirked, tightening his grip. “I know.”

“One mistake can cost it,” Jongin continued.

“I believe in the team.”

It was Jongin’s turn to smirk. “Do you believe in yourself as much as you believe in your teammates?”

Jungkook’s tone was indifferent. “Don’t try to distract me, Jongin. Let’s get this over with.”

“Whatever you say, Golden Boy.”

-

“They’re really all up in each other’s faces. It’s kind of scary,” Hyunjung commented. The teachers, students at the side-lines were quiet, watching closely at the motionless ball at the centre of the pitch – waiting for Jungkook to kick start the final play. She kept her voice low. “But I’m quite sure Jungkook and Jongin are friends though. They sometimes talk to each other in the cafeteria.”

“They are,” Shinae confirmed. “They’re both on at least one of the school’s sports teams, they know each other well. As a duo in a team they cooperate, but when it comes to events like this, when teams are sorted by homeroom classes, why wouldn’t they be competitive?”

Hyunjung still didn’t get it. “So, they do hate each other?”

“No,” Shinae replied, “both acknowledge each other’s abilities. But I guess Jongin doesn’t let rare opportunities like this – to beat Jungkook, go to waste. Both are top players in our grade, but Jongin has always been shadowed by Jungkook’s success.”

Taehyung heaved a sigh. “So basically, what you’re saying is, Jungkook gets everything.”

“Um…”  Shinae swallowed, reluctant to admit it. “In a nutshell, yes. But Hyunjung, seriously,” she said, slinging an arm around Hyunjung’s shoulders. “Your boyfriend’s quite a hotshot, am I right?” She flashed her a cheeky beam when gesturing to Jungkook.

Hyunjung blinked. “What does that mean?”

“You’ve got to be kidding me,” Taehyung groaned and rubbed his brow with another exaggerated sigh. Hyunjung looked toward Shinae for a hint of some sort, but she merely grinned at her.

“Never mind.”

-

“Three minutes left!”

Jungkook felt something cold drop onto his arm. Rain. Only for a second did he stop to look up at the sky, he couldn’t afford to let his focus slip away, not now. Not when there was only three minutes left. Not when his team had the game in control. “Jungkook!” Youngjae shouted, and a fast pass headed Jungkook’s way.

Yes.

He received the ball and scanned his eyes and found something which he had been looking for since the start of the game. A space – a hole in 2B’s defence formation.

“Come on, Jungkook! Just shoot!”

He went for it – a hard, strong push.

Damn it.

“,” he growled under his breath. The second the ball left his hockey stick he realized.

The ball landed into the goal’s net.

-

“He scored,” Shinae muttered, but she didn’t sound happy about it. Even Hyunjung knew why, Jungkook was the one who told her the rules of the game beforehand so she’d understand what was going on. Eunsook, who was using her blazer to cover her head from the spitting rain, seemed to be the only one out of the three who were clueless.

“He was outside the semi-circle when he shot it,” Taehyung said. “The point doesn’t count.”

-

The rain was gradually starting to get heavier, though not to the point that they had to go inside, not yet. Jungkook ignored the fact that his hair was starting to mat to his forehead. Jimin was the first to jog up to him. He took a second to observe Jungkook’s face which screamed irritation. “Hey, it’s fine, don’t beat yourself up for it,” Jimin said, nudging his side. “You did good. Didn’t he, guys?”

Jungkook didn’t say anything, but looked up anyway, the rest of his team were coming towards him. He searched for their disappointed expressions, but he found none. They formed into a circle, and Jimin held his hockey stick towards the middle, and glanced to Jungkook. The corner of Jungkook’s lips quirked up. “Well done, everyone. That was a good game.” He did the same as Jimin, and everyone else held their hockey stick towards the middle of their circle, locking them together.

“Three, two, one,” they shouted in unison as they brought their hockey sticks up in the air. With no heavy feelings, they kept their heads up as they walked back to the middle of the pitch to stand in a horizontal line, opposite the rival team. Once Mr. Song gave the signal, they bowed to each other and shook hands.

“Good game,” Jungkook said, exchanging a hand-shake with 2B’s captain, “your defence line this year was incredible.”

Jongin clapped him on the back. “Thanks, Kook. You and your team were good opponents, especially your first-line attackers. Jimin is fast. Next year?” Jongin brought his hand up to him for a fist bump. 

Jungkook joined his fist with his. “Next year.”

“Make sure you don’t sprain your ankle again, I want someone who’s good competition,” he joked, and Jungkook laughed.

“I’ll try my best.” Jungkook turned his head to look at the people sat at the side-lines. He scanned his eyes and smiled when he met eyes with the person he was looking for. He faced Jongin. “But as long as I’m with that person, I can’t promise you anything.”

-

Due to the rain, track events on the field were cancelled. The P.E. department had notified everyone that the grass was wet, so it wasn’t safe for them to hold the running events. There were students who were annoyed of this, but there were others who simply didn’t care. The question of what was supposed to happen now had risen. The rain was unexpected, meaning that the P.E. department and sport leaders hadn’t had a back-up plan, so for the time being they had told everyone to go back inside until they figured something out. Most had gone back to their homerooms. But they didn’t specify where they were supposed to go, they were only told to go inside, so there were also many others who went someplace else that weren’t their homerooms.

Hyunjung had wanted to go back to her homeroom, but Jungkook didn’t.  

After he had changed into his spare gym clothes since his sports gear was soaked, he dragged Hyunjung with him. She didn’t know where. Just somewhere. Every time they’d stop by a room, he’d check if there was anyone there, and when there was he’d drag her again somewhere to look for a place where there wasn’t.

In the end, he gave up and just went back to their homeroom.

“And where have you two been? Off somewhere on your own again?” Hoseok speculated when he heard the door creak which revealed Hyunjung and Jungkook.

“No…” Jungkook answered, sending a glance to Hyunjung before leading her to Hoseok who had joined two desks together so there was more room for them.

“Hey, so do you know what’s going on?” Hoseok asked them, to which they replied with a shake of their heads. “Apparently the rain’s getting worse.” As he said this, they could hear the rain on the roof, like hundreds of footsteps together simultaneously.

“Weird,” Jungkook remarked. “It doesn’t normally rain this hard during this time of the year.” He put a hand on Hyunjung’s when he noticed she had a dazed look on her face, and she peered at him when he did so. Jungkook broke the eye-contact off when he suddenly looked up, towards the door.

“Shinae?” Hoseok called.

For the first time since Hyunjung had known Shinae, she had never seen her in the current state she was in now; panic. “Eunsook. Sh-she’s gone.” Shinae’s voice had come out in uneven pants, and pink scattered her cheeks.

“What?” Hoseok said, hint of worry visible in the lines of his forehead. “What do you mean, gone?”

“I-I don’t know. She was with me, but when she heard the thunder she just suddenly ran off. I don’t know where she is. She could be anywhere.”

Hyunjung glanced at Jungkook, and could tell that he was clearly just as worried. The level of concern in his eyes confirmed it.

Author's Note: