The Other Side of Jeon Jungkook

My Small World
nineteen
— the other side of jeon jungkook —
 

Jimin was the one to open the door when they arrived at his house. “Well look who’s finally here!”

“Uh, sorry?” Jungkook said, giving him a lopsided grin.

“We were waiting for almost an hour,” Jimin told them and led them to the living-room. Everyone was sat in front of the television, their attention focused solely on the music show they were watching, except Namjoon who was looking through the family albums. Jimin cleared his throat and they turned their heads, smiling when they saw Jungkook and Hyunjung had arrived together. 

“You two are late,” Yoongi noted. 

Jungkook sat in an unoccupied seat and scooted over so there was room for Hyunjung. “I overslept.”

Hoseok tutted. “That’s typical of you, Jeon. Ty-pi-cal.”

“I know, I know! You don’t need to remind me.”

Jin spoke up. “Now we’re all here, what should we do?” 

Instead of someone replying, they all sat in silence. Hoseok who was in the seat next to Jungkook and Hyunjung, leaned to the side to tuck a strand of hair that was bothering him behind her ear. She turned her head in surprise and he smiled brightly at her. “Hyunjungie, your hair is done really prettily today.”

She blinked and her countenance shifted to blankness, not noticing Jungkook who seemed to be inching closer to her while also sending glares to Hoseok. “Th-thanks, she stuttered, taken aback by his compliment. Actually, Shinae did it.”

“Shinae?”

“She was in her front garden as I went past her house while I was walking to Jungkook’s, we talked a little and I told her about today. She dragged me inside her house and insisted on doing my hair.”

“That’s rash of her,” he chuckled.

Jimin scoffed. “I'm surprised you trust her. You’re lucky she didn’t dye your hair an unnatural color or something.”

“What did she ever do to you?” Hyunjung said, a little hurt by his remark.

“One thing I remembered last year when she and her mom came round, she switched my shampoo with bright red hair dye.”

“I remember! You couldn’t wear shorts in P.E because your leg hairs were red!” Jungkook laughed.

Slowly, all of them turned to Jimin and Yoongi’s eyes narrowed, staring at him as if his skin was green. “You shampoo your leg hair?”

“You don’t?”

They all shook their head. “No, we don’t,” Yoongi answered, holding back from slipping in some offensive comment.

“But how can Shinae even do that? She’d have to break in your house or something,” Hyunjung said.

“It’s nothing like that, our moms are best friends so they come around a lot. Shinae regularly came round often when we were kids. She didn’t seem to consider that I was a boy and would cry when I wouldn’t play tea set with her or refused her to do my hair.”

“Well she’s sometimes nice.”

“Not to me,” he muttered. “I’m sure she hates my guts.”

For the next couple of hours, they just spent the time talking, occasionally playing with the board games Jimin’s family had and eating snacks. During those few hours, Hyunjung felt so much closer to them, even Yoongi who was usually lazy and lethargic had a prolonging conversation with her. It was a shame that Taehyung couldn’t be with them, she thought that maybe if he did come he would’ve made friends with the boys.

The time was around three o’clock and everyone seemed to be tired out; they were all sprawled around the room, Yoongi had napped during the time they were all playing board games so he, Hyunjung, Hoseok and Jungkook were the only ones awake as the rest were sleeping soundly on the couch. Yoongi was somewhere else in the house, probably the kitchen, and Hoseok and Jungkook were talking among themselves quietly discussing about the upcoming sports festival. Hyunjung was sat on the floor texting Taehyung on her phone - tried to anyway; she assumed he was busy so she stopped after a few minutes of waiting for a reply she never received.

The emptiness in her stomach was more noticeable and it gave a low, lasting grumble. Hoseok and Jungkook seemed to have heard as they ceased talking, turning their heads at her and laughed quietly so they wouldn’t wake up the ones still sleeping.

“That’s what you get for being too polite and refusing food that was offered to you,” Hoseok said in a teasing tone.

She frowned and he hurriedly went over and started hugging her, rocking her back and forth as a mother would to a baby. “Hyunjungie, you’re so cute!”

I - am - w-what?” She wasn’t used to this and was unsure what to do. 

“That’s enough J-Hope.” Jungkook strode over and tried prying Hoseok’s hands off her as he continued rocking her back and forth, not letting go of her, despite Jungkook’s attempts.

He grinned at Jungkook. “You jealous?”

Jungkook simply stared at him and then glanced over at Hyunjung who looked awkward as she sat on the floor, kind of unsure where to put her attention. Hoseok eventually got the message and stopped teasing. “Hey Hyunjung, if you’re hungry you can go help yourself to something to eat from the kitchen. Jimin won’t mind,” he told her. “Yoongi’s probably in there right now raiding the cupboards.”

Hyunjung couldn’t even describe how hungry she was. “I think I will.” She stood up and went to the kitchen. Indeed, Yoongi was there, with a miscellaneous armful of snacks in his hold.

When he turned and saw her he smiled. “You’re hungry too huh? I was just getting some food for all of us to eat.”

“Oh, okay then.”

“I don’t think this is enough though.”

She looked uncertainly at the towering amount of snacks in his arms that looked like they would drop to the floor at any moment. “Are you sure about that?”

“Certain.” He dropped them on a countertop and searched in the fridge if there was anything else he fancied to eat. They heard someone else enter the kitchen and when they turned to see, it was Jungkook.

“Hey,” he said to them both when he came in.

“Hi,” Hyunjung said. Yoongi continued to look for more food, but held up a hand from behind the fridge door as an acknowledgement of Jungkook’s presence. Jungkook stood beside Hyunjung, both watching Yoongi as he sought though the contents of the fridge. She looked over at Jungkook to see his reaction, but he just continued to watch as if Yoongi scouring through someone else’s food was a norm.

“Yoongi, are you satisfied yet?”

Yoongi shut the fridge door with his foot since his hands were full. “I am now.”

He gathered all of the food he placed on the counter in his arms and flicked his eyes between the two. “I’ll be leaving you two,” he said, carefully making his way out to the door with Jungkook holding it for him.

Yoongi left, leaving just the two of them in the kitchen. Hyunjung went to the cupboards to get something to eat but frowned when all that was left was one potato chip packet. “On second thoughts, I think I’ll just share with Yoongi.”

Jungkook laughed. “He took all the snacks? It’s because he knows Jimin’s mom won’t get mad.”

“Let’s go back.” She was desperate to eat something and wanted to go back before all the boys ate everything. She was only a couple of steps away from the door.

“Wait.” Jungkook grabbed her wrist, being careful not to grip too tightly so he wouldn’t hurt her.

Hyunjung looked at their hands and then up at him. “What’s wrong?”

His gaze never left the floor. “Shinae didn’t secure your hair properly, all the strands are falling in front of your face,” he said quickly.

He wasn’t even looking at her. She touched her hair to tuck back any loose strands, but there was none. “What do you mean?” she asked.  He just stood there, a grave expression on his face – it looked like something was on his mind. Hyunjung tugged his hand to catch his attention. “Jungkook? Jungkook, what’s wrong?”

Her pulse accelerated as he very gradually leaned forward, his hands encircling her waist and keeping them there. A lock of hair tumbled in front of her face, resting just in front of her cheek, but with one swift moment of his thumb, he brushed it aside and tucked it behind her ear.

His lips touched her cheek. Her heart came to a halt. The soft skin of his mouth slowly went over to the corner of her lips, lingering there for a moment. Her breath caught in as a warm but thrilling feeling surged over her - all she could do was stay motionless.

Jungkook didn’t change his position, waiting to see if she would push him away. She didn’t. He cupped her face and inched his lips closer and made contact with her own. Hyunjung, aware of her inexperience just stood in utter shock, but he just continued to kiss her, and the tenderness and innocence of it all made her heart swell. He pulled away and his eyes searched hers as he leaned in again to make contact with her lips, pecking them over and over again.

“A penny for your thoughts,” he said, a small smile dancing on his face as he intertwined his hands with hers and swung them back and forth. She stayed silent when he nuzzled his nose with hers and their eyes locked. “I wish I knew what you’re thinking right now,” he whispered, resting his forehead against hers.

They heard footsteps approaching and the door of the kitchen flung open. “Yo Jungkook have you seen –” Jimin froze and looked at them weirdly. “Did you guys argue or something? Why are you so far away from each other?”

Before Jimin caught them, their impulses were to get away from each other, and they each ended up on the far opposite ends of the kitchen, Hyunjung by the fridge and Jungkook leaning over the sink, both looking away to cover their crimson faces.

“You guys are weird,” Jimin said when he went over to the fridge to get a can of cola. “You coming? We’re playing Monopoly, again.”

“Y-yeah,” Jungkook replied. “We’ll be there in a minute.”

Jimin closed the fridge door, looking between the two once more with a shrug and headed back to the living-room. The door closed behind him, a sigh of relief escaping Hyunjung and Jungkook laughed. “That was close.”

Hyunjung watched him laugh, it was so contagious she couldn’t help but laugh with him.

A few seconds later the thundering, articulate voice of Jimin reverberated from the living-room to the kitchen. “JUNG HOSEOK THAT’S A LIMITED EDITION MONOPOLY PIECE DON’T EAT IT, DON’T TOUCH IT, DON’T EVEN BREATHE ON IT!”

Jungkook chuckled. “We should head back.”

Hyunjung nodded and he went over to her, clutching her hand and gripping it firmly. It reminded her of that time back at the arcade, or the many times in fact, when he would randomly grab her hand and drag her off somewhere. It was just like those times, but the way he held it now seemed different.

Author's Note:

You’re probably thinking the kiss was too sudden/early (at least, that’s what I felt). But Jungkook is a teenager. And teenagers tend to do things that are impulsive and usually don’t thoroughly consider the repercussion of their actions. But it's obvious that what Jungkook did was clearly controlled by his emotions rather than thought. But she wouldn’t have let him unless she held some feelings for him.They were alone, the ambiance in the room was ideal for something to happen, not forgetting his evident feelings for Hyunjung – he took the chance and kissed her. 

I know Taehyung hasn't made much of an appearance recently, but he will be a much more important and prominent character in the story - I still have some things planned out. I won’t let him effervesce into the murky puddle of characters I put aside. Just like Jungkook, Taehyung is still a very important person to Hyunjung.