too much

My Small World
thirty-five
— too much —
 

Even on days when Hyunjung didn’t have school, she’d still wake up at a reasonable time in the mornings, no later than nine or ten. Reasons for this were because she thought that if she were to wake up late, she’d be wasting good use of time. That, or her uncle would usually wake her up himself if she did sleep that long.

But this morning, Hyunjung didn’t get up straight away.

Surprisingly, it had nothing to with the fact that she was lazy.

But she just couldn’t physically get up. And it was nearly the afternoon.

Hyunjung groaned when she adjusted to the light, and covered her cheeks with her hands. She had a fever. How could this have happened? I was fine yesterday.

If this was a normal day, Hyunjung would have dedicated it to her recovery by staying at home and having a rest. But she had planned something today – she was going to go out and buy Jungkook’s Christmas present today and then give it to him tomorrow.

The day after tomorrow she was going to go stay at her parents for Christmas, her older brother who was studying at university in Japan was even visiting. And if she were to buy Jungkook’s present tomorrow, she could have postponed her trip by a few days, but she hadn’t seen her family in a while and she didn’t want to cut down any time with them she was given. But at the same time, she wanted to give Jungkook a gift on time.

So today had to be the day.

And as a bonus, her uncle was at work, which was an advantage on her side because that meant no one would be able to stop her from going.

She screwed her eyes shut tightly and then re-opened them. She could feel heat radiating from her skin as she lay under the blanket, and her nape was beginning to sweat. But from her own knowledge, she knew her fever was still in its early stages, and she wasn’t feeling dizzy yet.

It’s not that bad.

She peeled the blanket off, and the chilled air immediately made her skin crawl. Her hands rubbed her arms to get rid of the feeling, but it barely made any significance. “I’ll get better, I’ll get better,” she murmured to herself, and with effort, swung her legs to the edge of the bed, and stood up.

She felt cold, and so she draped her blanket over shoulders. She felt a little warmer, but she was tired. She huffed, blowing her hair away from her face, and took one shuffle of a step forward.

I’ll be fine, I’ll be fine.

 

Shopping wasn’t the most favorite past time for Taehyung, but today he didn’t have much of a choice. Taewon wasn’t a fan of shopping either. At least there was one thing they had in common.

They were lingering around the mall; wandering pointlessly in the same circle, passing by the same shops and had been doing that for a few minutes until they finally stopped to sit down. Their dad was in a clothing store to buy a new suit for work, and Taehyung and Taewon had both agreed that was one of the least ideal things they would have liked to spend the next few hours, and sitting idly on a bench and staring at the half-dead plant next to it seemed much more appealing in their opinion.

It had only been a few minutes since they sat down, and Taewon was already beginning to get restless. His legs kept swinging backwards and forwards, to the point that it was impossible for Taehyung to ignore it. “Hyuuuuung, when are we going home?”

According to Taehyung that had to be at least be the sixth time Taewon had asked that. “When dad’s finished.” – was his reply. The same reply.

Taewon shut his eyes and threw his head back with a frustrated groan. “But that’s what you said last time!” he complained.

“Because I don’t know exactly when he’ll be done, all he said was that he would call me.”

An extended sigh escaped from Taewon and he stood up from the bench, beginning to wander away from his older brother without a care.

Taehyung arched a brow as he watched him. His voice was almost accusing. “Where are you going?” he called after him.

“Somewhere not boring.”

Taehyung remained fixed in his place, along with the expectation of Taewon coming back, but Taewon kept walking further away. But what was Taehyung expecting? For Taewon to be a good little boy? Because if that was what he was expecting, then perhaps Taehyung didn’t know his younger brother as well as he thought.

With a curse muttered under his breath, Taehyung stood from his seat and jogged to where Taewon – wherever the hell he was even going – was, following closely behind him.

Taewon stopped abruptly in his path, causing Taehyung to bump against his back when he wasn’t looking. “What the—”

Taewon’s eyes were immovable from where they were looking. “Hyung, isn’t that—?”

Taehyung’s eyes narrowed to look at the figure. Even if their back was facing them, or even if they were bundled in a thick jacket, along with a black mouth mask and a hat which was at least once size big for them, Taehyung still recognised who it was. It didn’t take long for him to figure it out.

Her unsteady feet hobbled as she walked, but she was obviously trying her best. It was also obvious that she was ill.

Taehyung sighed. She must be stupid.

Next to him, Taewon pulled on his sleeve. “Do you think we should—?” Taehyung didn’t reply, he was already making his way over, and Taewon followed to a trot behind him to keep up.

The person sensed someone beside them and turned. “Taehyung?” Her voice was muffled due to the mask, but she moved it away from .

“What are you doing?” he asked, but it seemed more like he was scolding her.

“Huh, me? I was just—hey…” A wobbled smile formed on her lips. “You’re wearing the scarf I gave you,” she pointed out.

He rolled his eyes. “Why aren’t you at home? You’re obviously ill. So why would your uncle even let you out of the house?”

Hyunjung waved him off and continued to scan the shop window again, but an unsatisfied frown would make its way to her face the longer she looked. She faced him with a hollow stare. “My uncle is working until late today. And also, I am not ill.”

Taehyung raised a brow, further noting her pink cheeks and puffed lips. Even her skin glowed in the worst way, and Taehyung was aware that it showed the first signs of dehydration. “You are,” he said back.

“Am not.” Hyunjung avoided his eyes. She tried a smile when she saw his younger brother and bent down to his level. “Hi, Taewon.”

“Hi, noona.”

“Don’t ignore me,” Taehyung scoffed.

“I’m not, and I’m fine. I’m just buying Jungkook’s present. There’s nothing wrong with that, right?”

“No…” Taehyung said in a light voice, but it changed immediately to a deadpan – “Unless you’re ill. You look like you have a fever.”

Her posture slacked as she let out a slow sigh. “This is the only time I can buy it. I know I could bake something like you suggested, but I want to get him something better. And we all know how my culinary ability is.”

Taewon bounced on his feet. “We could help you with your shopping!”

Taehyung’s face scrunched in dissatisfaction. “Shut your mouth. Don’t drag us into this.”

Taewon frowned. “Why not? Noona’s obviously a little under the weather today, and if we help we can get it done quicker. It’s not like we have anything better to do.”

“How long have you been searching?” Taehyung asked her.

Hyunjung shrugged and pulled up her sleeve to check her watch. “I came here at around eleven.”

Taehyung blinked and stared at her as if she was crazy. “You’ve been here for three hours and you still haven’t bought anything?”

“Uh…” She chuckled nervously, scratching the back of her head. Seeing the passive expression on his face, she dissolved into silence and cleared . “M-Maybe?” Even if she was ill, there was almost a twinkle in her eye – the kind a child has when they try to wriggle their way out of trouble after stealing an extra lollipop from the candy jar.

Taehyung was at a loss for words while Taewon watched in amusement.

Taehyung looked at her steadily. He then shoved his hands into his pockets and walked past them. “You are going straight home after we find something.” He paused and turned his head. “Are you coming or what?”

Hyunjung blinked and exchanged a look with Taewon. “O-Okay?”

Taewon grinned up at her and tugged on her hand. “Let’s go.” Hyunjung smiled back and found herself being pulled by him until they caught up with Taehyung. The change of speed in walking pace made her feel a little light-headed, but the majority of her focus was on what to get for Jungkook.

“So what kind of things does Jungkook like?” Taehyung asked as they walked. When he was met with silence, he turned to her in disbelief. “Don’t tell me you don’t know.”

“I-It’s not that I don’t,” Hyunjung began.

He sighed. “He likes sport, right?”

“I’ve already thought about that, but none of the things I’ve seen are good enough for him.”

Taehyung arched a brow. “Define ‘good enough’.”

“I don’t know. It’s just one of those things you’ll know when you see it.”

Taewon looked confusedly at his brother, who didn’t seem to understand what she meant either. “This is going to be a long day,” Taehyung murmured.

 

 

A long day it was.

Actually, it had only been forty minutes, but to Taehyung it felt longer. By thirty minutes Taewon had left them and went back to the car with their dad who had finished. Taehyung was about to call him to say that he was still buying a few things, but Taewon reassured him before he went back, that he had it covered. That actually saved Taehyung a lot of trouble, and he thanked Taewon for that.

Taehyung had long already stopped complaining about Hyunjung’s indecisiveness when he saw how engrossed she was in finding a gift. As minutes passed, Hyunjung’s happiness and patience also seemed to deteriorate, but that didn’t stop her. Taehyung did his best to suggest anything they could buy, but Hyunjung would shake her head and move on wordlessly. Taehyung had to admit he was getting worried; she looked even more tired than she was when they had encountered. She was also abnormally quiet – probably an effect from her lack of patience. But Taehyung thought that he should at least be patient for her sake.

“Hey, you should sit down,” Taehyung said for the nth time now.

And for the nth time – “I’m fine.”

And like the other times, Taehyung would nod and carry on, but this time, he couldn’t ignore how she was in her current state.

Hyunjung was already feeble to begin with, but now as she walked, her body would sway, and there would be the odd occasion when she would blink and her knees would buckle, but she would find her balance and continue walking again as if it were nothing.

“Hyunjung,” Taehyung called out in concern. “Are you sure you’re okay?” He noted the way her body shook and paid attention to the almost noiseless, but unsteady rhythm of her shallow breaths.

“…I’m… fine… absolutely…” she trailed off, and carried on walking.

He caught up to her. “Do you want something to drink? Like water or something?”

She shook her head, the grip of her fingers tightening on her jacket. “No, no, we don’t have time for that. I’ll be fine. I’ve already had some water anyway.”

Taehyung could tell she was obviously not fine, and it was starting to get ridiculous how she kept denying it.

Only a few more minutes passed, but Hyunjung had finally did as Taehyung told and sat down. They were sat at the food court, and her head was buried in her arms in front of her on the table.

Taehyung had enough of this. He got out his mobile and called his dad’s number. “Hello? Dad? Yeah, I’ll be heading back now. Do you mind if we take a friend back for a while? She’s ill and there’s no one home at her house.” There was a pause. “Okay, thanks. We’ll see you in a minute.”

Hyunjung lifted her head. Even if half her face was covered by a mouth mask, Taehyung could tell she was frowning behind it. Her voice was faint. “But… we can’t go—not—not yet.”

Taehyung put his phone away and leaned his arms forward on the table. His tone was serious. “You honestly think you can carry on like that?”

She looked to the side and crossed her arms, inclining her back against her chair. “I didn’t ask you to stay with me. You could have just gone with Taewon and gone home already,” she murmured.

At this, no words were exchanged for a while. The music originating from the open doors of the stores filled the space between them, along with the chatter from the other people around them.

Taehyung was the first to break the silence. He spoke slowly. “Listen, I know how much you care for Jungkook, and I acknowledge that what you are doing is for him, but he’d be concerned for your health. And if it was him here instead of me, I know he would do the same – probably even more. You have to recover. And plus, we have so much stuff at home which can help you with your fever.” He quickly added, “And you’re my friend. Of course I’d be concerned.”

She shut her eyes with a long sigh and rested her head back on her arms. “Alright,” she admitted. “Fine. I’m ill.”

Taehyung looked at her once more and then rose from his seat. “So let’s go. Don’t worry, the car park’s not far.”

Hyunjung lifted her head. Her eyes; weary and bloodshot as they met Taehyung’s, and he waited for her as she stood up slowly.

He began to lead the way, and noticing that Hyunjung was a little behind him, he slowed his walking pace. The whole time she didn’t say anything. Taehyung knew it was because she was ill, but he also understood how she must have felt; the sole purpose for today which she had in mind was not achieved, and like most people who don’t accomplish their intentions, Hyunjung was disappointed in herself.

They approached a sleek, seven-seater black car, and Hyunjung didn’t even have the energy to be surprised. She was exhausted. Taehyung opened the door for her before she could and urged her inside. He shut the door and went round the other side. As he put his seat belt on, he looked to the back and saw that Taewon was asleep.

“Have you been waiting here long?” he said to his dad.

“Not really,” he replied, looking at them through the rear-view mirror. He turned around when he saw Hyunjung who was still wearing the mouth mask. “Are you alright?” he asked.

She nodded drowsily. “I’m okay, sir. Just—just a little light headed.”

“It’s not a long journey back to the house, but you can go to sleep if you want, sweetheart.”

“Thank you, Mr. Kim.”

Taehyung’s dad rotated back and after checking they all had everything, he started the engine.

Hyunjung leaned her head against the window, her eyes already surrendering to sleep. Her chest rose and fell deeply as she breathed, and Taehyung spared a glance at her. He wasn’t surprised to find her asleep.

“What’s the name of your friend there?” his dad asked in a whisper.

“Hyunjung.”

“Hyunjung?” he repeated, and looked briefly at her though the rear-view mirror. Taehyung could see his smile. “What a nice name.”

 

 

When they had arrived at the house, Taehyung had to wake up Hyunjung himself which wasn’t easy. She was in deep sleep, and it took more than a few nudges on the shoulder for her to wake up. Her condition seemed to have gotten worse, and she was barely awake, so Taehyung, Taewon and their dad did their best to guide her into the house. They assisted her in taking off mask, jacket and shoes so she would be comfortable, and helped her get to the couch so she could lay down.

While their dad was putting the shopping away, Taehyung had gone upstairs to find a blanket for her while Taewon sat quietly by her side while she slept.

Taehyung returned shortly later with a blanket in one hand, and a bowl of cool water with a towel in the other. Taewon stood up to help him, taking the blanket and covering Hyunjung’s body with it. Taehyung cleared the hair from her face, and he then soaked and wrung the towel over the bowl, then placing it gently on her forehead to cool her burning face.

Taewon settled and sat on the floor beside them, and their dad came in with a glass of water and put it on the table. “She seems to be doing okay for now,” he observed. “I’m perfectly happy with her staying here, but I’m going to work later and I won’t be able to take her home. Is there anyone who’ll be able to take her back?”

Taehyung thought for a while. “Her uncle’s also working until late.”

“I would take her back to her house, but there’d be no one to look after her.”

Taehyung sighed and glanced over at Hyunjung. “I’ll think of something. It was my suggestion to take her back here anyway.”

He nodded. “Alright, if you need me or if there’s anything I’m able to do, just tell me.”

“Thanks, dad.”

“Come on Taewon, you need to do your homework,” he said, patting the boy’s shoulder before going back into the kitchen.

Taewon groaned. He exchanged a miserable look with Taehyung before trudging his way upstairs to his room.

Taehyung took the towel off Hyunjung’s forehead and soaked and wrung it again, repeating the process. He was thinking. What could he do?

Her nose twitched when he placed the towel back on her forehead and he sighed. “You’re causing a lot of trouble for all of us, aren’t you?” he murmured. He was met with no reply.

An idea suddenly came to his head. He searched round for her jacket and when he found it, he checked the pockets until he found what he was looking for; her phone. He hoped Hyunjung didn’t have a lock, and he was right. He was glad he remembered that time when Hyunjung told him out of the blue that her phone didn’t have a lock; she said that no one would steal her pone anyway, so why bother?

He found her contacts and paused only for a second to consider what he was doing. But this was the right thing for him to do.

Taehyung knew this was the person Hyunjung would want by her side at this moment. What he presumed, at least. Besides, that person was the reason why she was going through all this trouble in the first place.

 

Without hesitation, he typed the name in the search bar: Jeon Jungkook

Author's Note:

hyunjung; cares too much

jungkook; too friendly 

taehyung; thinks too realistically  

this is another split chapter (sort of(?)), which is why jungkook has made no appearance yet. But from that last line I think you can tell who's going to appear