Dream 008

It Was All A Dream

Taeyang walked into the kitchen and then stopped. There, GD and TOP sat eating and reading the newspaper. He turned around and then turned back to the strange scene. He walked over to the refrigerator and grabbed a bottle of water.

When Taeyang sat down at the table, he asked, “Plans today?”

Without missing a beat, GD replied, “Final fittings for the concert. Airport and then dinner plans,” he added, not even looking up from his section of the newspaper.

TOP also replied, “After the fitting, I’m going to take a drive to see some old friends. I should be back by dinnertime.”

“Going to the café?” Taeyang asked casually, but TOP shook his head.

“Maybe another day,” was all he said as he continued to read.

To this, GD frowned and put his paper down, “It’s been a while since you’ve been to your café. Something wrong?” he asked quite concerned.

TOP shrugged but Taeyang answered instead, “I guess tastes change.” He got up and left the kitchen, shutting the door to his own room. He wondered if TOP’s distance had anything to do with Rania’s mood lately.

***

Rania kneaded dough as though she were being timed. Hard and fast, her fists and palms beat the dough into obedience before she looked up and smiled happily down at it. Kanari stared at her, arms crossed in front of her chest. She sighed and walked over to Rania, “Chef, you done playing around yet?”

Rania ignored that comment and laid ten wide sheets on the cooking table. She measured and touched them, testing their density before she turned the temperature down and watched them harden a bit. She continued to touch and test before she was sure they would set properly, and then turned the heat up on her table. It was a very slow bake, but it did the job properly.

She turned to the refrigerators and pulled out a deep metal bowl filled with special custard she had made the day before. As she mixed it, the consistency had set properly, so she scooped a certain amount into the cooking dough and watched the consistency change a bit. Kanari sighed and picked at her nails, “If you want to talk, I’m here.”

Rania handed her the bowl and stated, “Put this back in the fridge.”

Kanari took the bowl and sighed as she did as she was told. When she returned to the table, she stared at the slowly rising dough and asked, “You’re going to use the oven, right?”

“Of course I’m going to use the oven,” Rania replied and then reached down and swooped one off the table. It came off cleanly and after she did it, Kanari let out a cry of disbelief.

Rania didn’t even look at her. Instead, she placed the ten circles on individual baking sheets before strategically sliding them into three ovens. Kanari peeked over and frowned, “200 degrees? Isn’t that a little too low?” she asked, genuinely concerned.

“Nope,” Rania smiled, wiping her hands on her apron, “just enough time.” She pulled off her apron and looked around. “You got this, right?” she asked, halfway to the door.

Kanari shrugged, “I guess. Unless someone makes a special order.”

Rania frowned, “I’m sure you got that. I’ll be back,” she added and pulled off her Chef top and bottom to reveal running attire. She pulled on her headphones, removed her hat, and sprinted out the door before anyone could say anything.

Kanari looked at the door for a moment and then sighed, “She’s trying very hard to look okay.” She turned and walked back to her working area. The days since the last time she saw TOP had been rather strained and strange.

***

Outside, Rania jumped a few times and then sprinted off without looking back. If she had, she would have seen a tall shadow peek out at her from behind the building. She would have seen tall hair and a curious gaze, mixed with a regretful smile and set lips. But she pushed herself as hard as she physically could, sprinting down the alley, jumping over some debris while using the wall to bounce off of.

She avoided puddles, trash, and cats. She kept up her steady pace, hearing nothing but a steady stream of EDM blast in her ears. When she reached the park, she slowed to a respectable pace and then turned to see Woobin, working hard to keep up with her, running alongside of her. She half smiled as she slowed before she allowed them to stop under the shade of some trees.

She checked her pulse and then reached over to his wrist and checked his. He was silent and quite used to it as it had been quite a few days since they’ve started running together. She sighed and released his arm, “You need to breathe more. It’s like you’re holding your breath when you run or something like that,” Rania stated.

Woobin nodded and stood up straight, “Yes, noona.”

Rania looked at him and added, “Raise your arms above your head, it’ll open up your airway.” Woobin did as he was told and gasped for air. Rania sighed, “You’re going to seriously hurt yourself if you’re not careful. And you need to learn how to seriously run,” she added, stretching before walking back towards the café.

Woobin followed and frowned, “Heading back already?”

“I have stuff in the ovens. I just wanted to take a quick run, clear my head.” Woobin bit his bottom lip. He knew somewhat of what happened but hadn’t an idea as to how much damage had been done. So, in replacement of TOP watching out for her, Mr. Yang had allowed Woobin to step up and take some more shifts with her. “Since we’re catering for the after party, everything has to be perfect,” Rania continued, checking her phone.

Woobin nodded, “If you need help, just let me know. My hands are quite capable,” he added, holding them up and flexing them.

Rania sighed, “Though your hands may be exceptional, your mobility and knowledge in the kitchen are lacking. It’s fine,” she hopped a few times in place and then added, “thanks for this. See you later,” she added and sprinted away, back towards the café.

As she ran away from him, Woobin pulled out his vibrating phone and answered it. “Yeah, she’s heading back now.” On the other end, he heard Taeyang sigh and then a grumble something. “If you tell me what happened, I can navigate this a bit better,” he suggested.

But Taeyang only replied with, “I don’t really know what happened.” And then he hung up shortly as he saw Rania come into view at a distance down the alley. He slipped into the café and then hurried into the kitchen.

Kanari looked up and then asked, “She’s back?”

Taeyang nodded, “Yeah, thanks.”

The kitchen back door swung open and Rania entered. Having barely broke a sweat from the quick jog, she pulled on her Chef attire and moved quickly. “Are you hungry?” she asked Taeyang without looking at him.

Taeyang smiled, “You know me.”

“Nari, grab the set up and run it by me,” she ordered and walked off to her usual work space.

As Kanari put together Taeyang’s meal, he moved closer and looked at the clean table. “You’re making someone else make me one, now?”

“When I’m gone, they have to know how to feed you,” Rania stated bluntly. She caught Taeyang’s look and she smiled, leaning closer to him, “I need to leave without worrying about you.”

Taeyang returned a small smile and then Kanari walked over, setting the plate before Rania and Taeyang. “Turkey with open sides, the way you put it together,” she stated.

Rania looked at it and Taeyang cringed, noticing a slight mix up of ingredients. Rania, for a moment, was very serious, and then she looked up at Kanari, “Are you playing with me?”

“Only because you play with me,” Kanari replied, slightly annoyed.

Rania walked over to Kanari and hugged her tightly, “Have I been abandoning you, my baby girl?” she cooed, and the other cooks attempted not to see. Kanari tried to twist out of Rania’s arms, but Rania held on and Kanari’s cheek in retaliation. Letting out a truly guttural cry of disgust, everyone froze when the kitchen door swung open and Mrs. Kwan stood there with Mr. Yang by her side, both looking very surprised.

Mrs. Kwan immediately demanded, “Is this how you run your kitchen, Chef?”

Rania didn’t release Kanari as she replied, “Yes, boss. When my underling is being sneaky, I them in retaliation. I find it teaches them not to cross me again.”

To this, Mrs. Kwan let out a chuckle and entered with Mr. Yang, who smiled next to her. Taeyang walked to the far wall as Rania released Kanari, who wiped her cheek. Mr. Yang smiled and stepped forward, “Mr. Yang, welcome to my kitchen, sir,” Rania greeted.

Mr. Yang smiled to the room and then turned to Rania, “I leave the success of the after party in your hands. I know you hoped to attend the concert, but thank you, for this,” he reached into his jacket and pulled out a red envelope, “and I know that after this, you will prepare for your departure. I hope you will remember us fondly when you go home.” He handed her the envelope and Rania received it with both hands, bowing as she did so in the most respectful manner she could conjure.

Mr. Yang smiled and then Rania reached up and hugged him, surprising the rest of the room. But Mr. Yang pat her back and then she pulled away out of embarrassment. “Thank you, Mr. Yang, sir,” she bowed again as he left. Taeyang wondered if his quick retreat was out of embarrassment or guilt. Regardless, when he was gone, the kitchen fell into a frenzy catching up to orders and making more preparations for departure of Rania.

And then Rania clapped twice and shouted, “Let’s do this shizz!!”

There was a general chuckle of acknowledgement over the sentiment she, the one who refused to cuss, had for everyone. She moved to her working table and sighed, pulling out the dough tarts she had kept in the oven. With them in front of her, Taeyang asked, “Are you making giant tarts?”

Rania smirked, “Close. Because Daesung has an obsession with Doraemon, we’re making Doraemon’s faces in this fruit tart.”

Taeyang thought about it and then laughed out loud, “You do your research really well.” He smiled, wondering what the other snacks being prepared look and taste like. And then he leaned closer, “TOP,” he started and Rania froze as Kanari peeked over, “hasn’t been around lately.”

Rania cleared and agreed, “Oh, yeah, he hasn’t been around.”

Taeyang waited for more as Kanari shot daggers with her eyes at Taeyang. But he ignored them, “It’s rare for him not to come by. I thought he would because being here always calmed him before concerts and big events.”

Rania replied without thinking, “Yeah, he liked the view from the balcony, because you can see the concert hall.” She continued to work, not looking up.

Taeyang nodded, “Yeah, there was that, and the presence of –”

“Taeyang-sshi,” Kanari called out, holding up what looked like steaming kimchii in her hands, a few others holding it as well, glaring openly at him.

Taeyang shuddered, backing away from Rania, who looked up and then waved her hands, “Guys, guys, am I running a mad house around here these days? Come on, now,” she joked, and they put down their kimchii handfuls. Kanari seemingly growled at Taeyang, who bobbed his head a few times apologetically.

Rania looked up at Taeyang and added, “What am I going to do in America without my fairy god mother?” her eyes a bit watery on him.

Taeyang swallowed and put an arm on her shoulder, “I’ll come when you need me most, my dear, Rani-ella.” And he laughed, dropping his arm and cracking up at his own joke. Though he felt it in his heart, he simply moved away, just enjoying his time with her.

Later, when she stood on the top balcony enjoying the evening air, she drank Cass beer straight from the bottle. Alone, she stared at the concert hall and simply replayed the horrifying moment in her mind. The words still burned her, despite their truthfulness, ‘I’m sorry, noona, but I’m out of your league.

She chuckled to herself and whispered, “I should have kissed him anyway.” She lifted the bottle to her lips and chugged openly and angrily. From below, standing in the shadows of the streetlight, TOP watched her guzzle alcohol, wondering if she would simply drown her sorrows with the bottle. And then he remembered that he was the one who made her that way.