Dream 007

It Was All A Dream

In the kitchen, Rania called the cooks over and cut each of the left over items so that everyone could get a piece. It wasn’t that she needed their approval but sought to inspire their own thinkings with her dish as a foundation. When she signaled, everyone grabbed a piece and chewed carefully. When they swallowed, they discussed texture, taste, and how they would change the dish if it were up to them. Everyone had their own ideas for adding onto the dish or what to serve with the dish, but for the most part, no one said they would make any major changes.

And when the powwow was over, they returned to their stations. At this moment, the kitchen door swung open and Taeyang entered. He looked around and then hurried over to Rania, who was kneading dough. “Hey,” he nudged her.

Rania didn’t look up as she replied, “You came?”

Taeyang leaned closer and whispered, “TOP is on his way. Do you know what you’re going to do?”

Rania looked up at him and then shrieked. “I forgot!” she exclaimed, looking horrified. She looked down at herself and then up at Taeyang, “I was hoping to look nice. Do my hair a little, maybe even put on some makeup?” And then she added, as a sort of an afterthought, “His makeup is always done really well.”

Taeyang shook his head, “You look best in your natural element.”

From her station, Kanari cringed and stated, “That’s as good as an insult.”

Taeyang held up his hands, “We know you as the amazing Chef and our friend. Not one of those fake fan-girls who throw themselves at us.”

Rania’s face fell as she realized just WHO it was she had thought to ask out. TOP was of the most popular kPop boy bands in South Korea. It would be a miracle for him to accept her especially when so many girl groups, female models, and actresses liked him. Not to mention, how many women around the world favored his bass-like tones as opposed to the higher ones the rest of the boy band possessed. Compared to the rest of the world, Rania felt couldn’t even compare herself to them. She sighed and nodded, “You’re right,” she sighed, “as always.” She was by his side as his friend and she would soon be gone, without much hope of ever seeing him again. She felt her insides sink.

Taeyang frowned, “What’s wrong?”

Rania shook her head, “Let’s just forget about this. I want to keep him as a friend for as long as I can. It’s already a rare position and I should be content.” With that, she turned away from the door, going for more flour, “What a sweet dream it was for a moment though.”

From the doorway, TOP asked, “Sleeping on the job again?”

Taeyang moved to the other side of the table and pulled up a stool. TOP moved to where Taeyang had stood, closer to Rania, who turned back to the table, kneading more dough. “You’re here?” she asked, not looking up at him.

TOP smiled and asked, “I’m usually here around now, right?”

But when Rania looked up at him, her eyes held no happiness. So TOP reached out and brushed stray strands of hair from her face, “You okay, noona?”

Rania pulled away and chuckled, “Just about. Had a reality check a moment ago. Take a seat,” she added, moving away from him, “and tell me what you want to eat.”

Taeyang grimaced, not comfortable with the sudden awkwardness between TOP and Rania. He got up and let out a breath, “I wanted to get my car checked up. I’ll see you guys later,” he added and waltzed out the door, apologizing to Kanari on his way out with his eyes.

Kanari sighed and walked over to Rania, “Looks like we’ll be slow for a bit. Why don’t you go take your break? I can cover for you for a little bit.”

Rania shook her head, “It’s fine. I have to prep for the catering, remember? But you go ahead,” she added, “and take TOP with you.”

Kanari looked at TOP and then nodded her head towards the door. TOP frowned but followed her out. When they were gone, Rania crouched behind her table and leaned her forehead against the metal doors. She closed her eyes and, finally, allowed a few tears to fall from her eyes. She felt ready to break, as her heart did just moments ago.

***

TOP frowned and growled, “What’s going on? Why is she being like that?” he demanded.

Outside, Taeyang and Kanari stood with him, just around the corner from the café. Taeyang winced and stated, “I may have discouraged her into not saying anything.”

Kanari shot back at him, “You shattered her hopes and stomped on her dreams. She won’t say anything now. Not after that,” she added.

Taeyang looked away but TOP turned to Taeyang, “So she wanted to date me but because of you, she won’t ask me out anymore?” When Taeyang nodded, TOP turned to Kanari, “What if I asked her out?”

Kanari shook her head, “I don’t know, but she’s had a pretty emotional day so far. There was that model in the morning, then the taste test for the catering party,” she paused, and then anger flashed in her eyes, “catering for your after party. This is just too much!”

TOP looked away and then Taeyang sighed, “I didn’t think she would react this way. She must be mad at me,” he added.

“No,” Kanari put in, “she’s most likely mad at herself for letting herself think she had a chance with TOP.” Kanari wiped her hands and turned to the back door, “Women need gentleness and reassurance. Without one or the other, she will be hurt. All women are like that,” she added and then opened the door and walked inside without looking back at the two she was disappointed in.

Taeyang sighed and TOP shook his head, “How do you want to handle this?” Taeyang asked.

TOP swallowed and replied, “I’ll ask her to hang out. Take a walk with her. I’ll talk to her and see what she wants to do. Maybe dating is not necessary,” he put his hands on his hips, “maybe she’s just lonely.”

***

Rania worked alone as she kneaded, cut, and flattened dough. She made sure to keep the table cool by setting it at a lower temperature. As she moved them around, she was surprised when Kanari helped put them together into batches before moving them into the freezer. “When did you get back?” Rania asked, only half curious.

Kanari smiled, “A while ago.”

“You seemed to have lost your follower,” Rania commented, meaning TOP, who walked in at that moment and pulled off his jacket.

“I’m here and ready to work,” TOP stated, walking over to the Chef station, adding clips to his hair, going for the cute factor.

Without looking up, Rania asked, “Did you wash your hands, arms, and face?”

TOP responded loud and clear, “Yes.”

And then Rania added, “Did you clean under your finger nails and take off all jewelry and stuff?”

“Yes,” TOP replied, stopping next to her. He touched the tabletop and smiled, “Why are you keeping it so cold?”

“Because we plan on freezing the dough sheets, if it’s warm, they will stick to the table, each other, and that would all be pointless after. So,” she moved them around to show him what she meant, “by keeping the table at a cooler temperature, they harden and remain independent, more unlikely to melt together.”

TOP nodded, “That’s smart.”

Kanari put in, “Rania had it installed when she took over the kitchen. It actually is really nice to work on,” she added easily, bundling quickly.

“So, what do you want me to do?” TOP asked, holding up his clean hands.

Rania smiled, a bit off, but TOP ignored it as she instructed him, “I want you to take over Kanari’s job. So, stack them in bunches of ten and then put them together in the wax paper before putting them into the freezer.”

TOP nodded, shadowing Kanari’s moves, “What are these for? Why do you need so many?” he asked.

“For a catering gig in a week or so. We have to prep them now because of the time required to prepare each dish,” Rania stated.

Kanari sighed, “Day of, Rania will have to cook all day for the restaurant and then all afternoon for the catering job. But that’s our Chef,” she added, more of a murmur or grumble to herself.

TOP frowned and turned to Rania, “Why can only you do the cooking?”

“Nari!” Rania snapped and Kanari shut and bowed her head a bit, hunching her shoulders in an apologetic way.

TOP looked up, surprised to hear Rania even speak that way. Kanari recoiled to her station, ducking away. When he looked at Rania, she smiled and nodded for him to continue his actions. She, however, seemed a bit more on edge than before.

***

After the dinner rush and Rania excused everyone, she joined TOP on the upper patio for some beers and snacks. They were quiet for a long time, simply listening to the quietness of the evening and enjoying the breeze.

TOP leaned against the metal railing and sighed, “It’s a nice night.”

Next to him, Rania leaned her back against the railing, staring up at the night sky, “I hope it rains.”

“I hope it doesn’t,” TOP smiled, and then asked, “You were really down today. Are you okay?”

With a distant voice, Rania asked, “How do friends decide if they should date?”

TOP shrugged, “Maybe talking about it would be a good start. Dating or trying to date?” he added, searching for the right words.

Rania turned to her left, facing TOP, “Trying to date?”

TOP turned to his left so that he rested his back against the railing, looking up at the stars, “Going out, seeing movies, you know, trying to date.”

Rania frowned, “Okay.” She paused and then asked, “What about us? Do you think we can try dating?”

TOP shrugged, “With our schedules, it will be tough. Also, we don’t know how to push ourselves into it. I mean,” he turned to face her, “part of relationships is physical intimacy, right?” Rania swallowed and TOP sighed, “When was the last time you were physical with someone?” He’d meant for it to discourage her borderline attempts.

Instead, Rania stared at him for a moment and then asked, “Should we try to have ?”

TOP coughed and then tossed back at her, “Not all men like such a blunt girl.”

Rania moved closer, “I don’t care about them. I care about you.”

TOP considered his words carefully and then replied, “Let’s just try dating and working our way up to a kiss. Okay?” he added, praying to God she couldn’t see his blush.

Rania looked behind her to check for others and then turned back to him, locking gazes with him, “Sure. Let’s try,” she smiled, and stepped closer to him, lifting her face to his. TOP stared at her, surprised to see her so forward. With a hand on either side of him, holding the rail, she leaned forward.

TOP reached out a hand and placed it on her right shoulder, “Stop. Please,” he whispered.

“Why?” Rania asked, gripping the rail behind him.

“Because,” TOP searched for an answer.

“Because what,” Rania asked, nudging herself closer to him, but TOP kept her at arm’s length away from him.

TOP swallowed, looking from her eyes to her lips and then back to her eyes. Things were moving too fast. He wondered if it was right. “I’m sorry, noona, but,” he tried for a joke, forgetting how misleading his word choices were as they came out, "I'm out of your league."

Unfortunately, Rania took it another way. She dropped her hands to her sides and asked, “Am I not good enough?” TOP was silent. His body screamed for him to wrap his arms around her and give her a kiss that could possibly scare her away. But he remained still and looked away.

Rania turned from him and walked away. She walked into the kitchen and continued to work on the dough before her. She ignored TOP when he entered to grab his jacket. He looked at her and then left the kitchen and then the café. When Rania heard the small bell on the door ring, indicating his departure, she stopped kneading the dough around her. Tears fell freely and she turned, and slid to her feet, crying into her sleeve.

Outside, feeling the cold air crash into him, TOP stood just outside the entrance of The Lovely Café. His heart heavy, his body a bit numb, he felt as though his spirit had left him. He couldn’t move for a moment. The words that came out were so foreign to him. He hadn't ever thought he'd be the type of person to say such a thing to anyone, and yet, he did to the one person he'd never wanted to say anything like that to. He felt his heart hurt when he spoke those words and then saw her crushed expression. He closed his eyes for a moment and just breathed, praying for strength and no tears. And then he turned and walked away, as though dragging the weight of the world with each step.