Dream 010

It Was All A Dream

Something warm moved next to Rania’s head as she woke from a deep and dreamless sleep. She opened her eyes and found that the warm body pillow she had held onto under what she had thought was a blanket was actually TOP and they had his jacket over them. She heard his heartbeat, smooth and steady, and then a bit faster as he woke to find her so close to him.

“Go back to sleep,” Rania goaded, not lifting her head from his chest.

TOP felt her arms around him and his arms around her. He blushed, his heartbeat quickened, and he knew falling asleep would be hopeless at that moment. So he shifted more on to his aide and held her close, resting his chin on her head, “Okay.”

Rania smiled, feeling his long arms lock around her as she held on to him. The small table that had often been used as their stargazing perch creaked as they shifted, searching for a comfortable position. When she gave up, she sat up and looked down at his face, his eyes closed. She sighed and leaned down, kissing him shyly on his cheek.

“I thought you wanted to sleep more,” TOP murmured, struggling to keep his eyes closed under her gaze.

Rania smiled and crossed her legs, shifting his jacket so that it still covered him, “It’s morning. I have to go on my run, or else my body will feel sore from sleeping on this table.”

TOP sat up but didn’t open his eyes. He faced her, his legs spread around her, and he asked, “Do you always go running with Woobin in the mornings?”

Rania smiled and lifted her hands to TOP’s face. She rubbed his cheeks gently and answered, “Usually. Unless I’m too tired. He’ll come looking for me, though,” she added.

TOP blinked a few times and then leaned forward, kissing her lips very gently, just a peck. Something about the night before felt unreal and he wanted to make sure it was real. And from the blush the pinked her cheeks, he realized that everything he thought had happened, had, indeed, happened.

Rania smiled and asked, “Do you want to come with me?”

TOP shook his head, “I have a lot to do today.”

“Should I come visit you later today?” she asked. Off of TOP’s rather alert look, she waved her hands, “Just kidding, just kidding.” She frowned and touched the top of her head. She dragged her fingers through her long hair and then shook her head.

TOP frowned, “What is it?”

“I thought I heard a familiar beat,” Rania stated. She smiled and then returned her attention to TOP, “Do you want to have a picnic this weekend? I’ll pack the basket and everything. I just want our first date to be perfect!”

TOP stared at her, “Date?”

At this, Rania swallowed and excused, “I mean, hang out? You could bring Taeyang if you like. I’ll see if Nari want’s to come. I could be fun and friendly and casual and –”

Top reached forward and placed a hand on her right shoulder. “Just the two of us sounds perfect.” He threw his legs over the edge of the table and sighed, his feet slightly aching from the evening before.

Rania smiled and stated, “The weather looks nice. I hope it stays that way until this weekend!”

TOP nodded. He knew the weekend would be a bit more open because special guests were due to fly in, so nothing big would be happening with the group. He wondered if this dating thing would be not so bad after all.

***

TOP entered the apartment and froze. In the living room, waiting for him, were GD and Taeyang. Both looked worried though, GD simply looked tired. When he gave it a moment, GD asked, “Where were you all night? It’s not like you to blow off the after party.”

TOP looked to Taeyang, who touched his left ear, as if to scratch it, and then TOP replied with, “I needed to blow off steam. I lost track of time.”

GD leaned forward and then stated, “We’re starting the tour. Time and activities will be tight. Please be more careful,” he added.

TOP nodded, “I understand.”

GD then leaned back and added, “Kiko can’t make it until after the tour, so we have more time together. Let’s not waste it,” he added.

TOP glanced at Taeyang, who scratched his right knee. TOP sighed and nodded, “Got it.” GD nodded and stood, stretching.

“Thursday we have the variety show and Saturday we have the interview. Be ready,” he added, walking to his room.

But as he passed, TOP grabbed his arm and asked, “What time on Saturday?”

Taeyang’s eyes widened, surprised to see such an aggressive move from TOP, but GD gave himself a mental shake and then replied, “We’re being picked up at seven and should be back by two.”

TOP dropped his hand and nodded, “Oh, that’s good.”

GD frowned and leaned closer to TOP, “You feeling okay?”

TOP nodded and walked from GD to the couch, “Yeah, I was just curious.” He sat down and leaned back, hoping to avoid suspicion.

GD shrugged and walked into his bedroom. As soon as his door shut, Taeyang turned to TOP and demanded in a low voice, “What was that all about?”

TOP sighed, “I’m going on a picnic on Saturday.”

Taeyang leaned back, surprised, “So you were with her last night?”

TOP waved his hand, “Nothing happened. I think I passed out from exhaustion. But she slept next to me.” He went very quiet. And then he sat up, his face in his hands, “This is impossible. I can’t bring her back here and yet, she’ll be gone in a month.”

“Five weeks,” Taeyang corrected, but then added quickly, “Just don’t do anything committal with her.

TOP lifted his face and replied, “Well, let’s see, I broke her heart, and then I kissed her last night, and then we fell asleep on the balcony, holding onto each other and woke up a couple hours ago.” He nodded and sarcastically added, “Yeah, we’re just speeding down the road of non-committal.”

GD opened his bedroom door and looked out to see TOP and Taeyang on the couch. He frowned, “We have quite a few events. Get ready,” he added and shut the door.

Taeyang got up and TOP followed. When they got to TOP’s room, Taeyang shut the door and then he stated, “That was risky. Just tell me,” he paused, and then asked, “did you sleep with her?”

TOP shook his head, “I slept next to her. She slept in my arms. But no, we didn’t do anything.”

Taeyang nodded, “Good. You can’t cross that line.”

TOP nodded, “I know.”

There was a knock and then GD opened the door and poked his head in. He looked from TOP to Taeyang and then asked, “What are you guys doing in here?” Taeyang and TOP were silent and then GD added, “Get ready. The van will be here in a few minutes.”

GD left and Taeyang shot TOP a glare before hurrying out. TOP laid down on his bed and stared at the ceiling. He closed his eyes and sighed. He could almost smell her still clinging to him. Her warmth very inviting and, naturally, very sweet. He sighed, wondering how to keep himself from going further with her when everything about her was just so welcoming.

***

Kanari smiled and then asked of the cheerful chef, “Why was TOP here so early? And why did he leave in a hurry?” She didn’t even bother keeping her voice down.

Rania smiled and then froze as a familiar mix blasted through the radio. She turned and listened, having forgotten what Kanari had said to her. She recognized it as if it were her own song, her own melody. And then the announcer came on and said, “The Spinstars will return to Seoul for their annual party. Check out our website for their locations and times.”

Rania smiled and chuckled to herself, “Oh, those girls,” she sighed and then gave herself a mental shake. Kanari looked surprise but Rania simply asked, “Let’s go see them. Their music sounds good,” she added.

Kanari stared at Rania and then replied, “Sure. Let’s bring the guys with us,” she added.

Rania frowned and sighed, “What do people bring in picnics these days?” she asked.

Kanari thought for a moment and then asked, “Are you packing a basket for someone?” Off of Rania’s conflicted look, she guessed, “For TOP?”

Rania nodded, “We’re going out this Saturday. To a park somewhere, or just somewhere with grass. Nothing’s really set. It was just a thought,” Rania added absently.

Kanari nodded and pulled out her phone. With lightning speed, she texted Taeyang and then put away her phone when Mrs. Kwan stepped into the kitchen. She nodded and Kanari followed her out. In a booth in the back of the restaurant, Mrs. Kwan stated, “Stef will arrive in a few weeks. I’m not sure when Mr. Yang will turn over her memories, but you have to get ready to take over the kitchen. I will insist she take her last three weeks off. I think that’s being fair enough,” she added and looked away.

Kanari stared at her hands and then asked, “Does she have to leave? I think she can be happy here as things are.”

“She has a family that misses her in America, a job that is waiting for her, a degree, and friends who miss her. We can’t keep her even if we were given the opportunity,” Mrs. Kwan looked at Kanari and added, “Make sure you say goodbye properly.”

Kanari nodded, “I’ve learned so many new recipes from her. I wish she could just stay,” she added, wistfully.

Mrs. Kwan smiled, “You need to take over properly. Remember, this is our family’s restaurant.” And then Mrs. Kwan added, “They’re very eager to bring her back with them.”

Kanari nodded, “She was the glue for a few of them. I can see why,” she agreed.

Suddenly, the phone rang and Rania jumped out of the kitchen to their booth. “Kevin called out. We have no one to make deliveries for the night, so I was thinking of taking them.”

Kanari frowned, “Then who will take care of the kitchen?”

“You, of course,” Rania smiled, “Mama bird has to fly away sometime.” She cackled to herself and hurried back into the kitchen. Kanari jumped up and followed her as Mrs. Kwan leaned back, wondering how to explain to the customers that know of Rania why she had left. She knew that she could always find things out from her niece, but having had Rania there for the past year just felt right.

***

TOP could feel as time passed. He checked his phone and found no messages. He knew it was getting closer to Saturday because of the anxiety in his chest. But he also knew he’d taken a step towards a much more risky path.

Later, when he saw Mr. Yang, he noticed his glare and felt the realization of the change. He wondered if everyone noticed and when alone with Mr. Yang, it became very clear. “Whatever has happened, you have to keep it to yourself. There are only five more weeks, that means only two weeks before we try to switch on her memory.”

TOP nodded, feeling a bit sick at the sound of that, and then asked, “Will she remember everything that happened this year?” As the words left his mouth, he felt his throat become dry.

Mr. Yang shrugged, “There is a thin veil between the memories of her past and our current present. The doctor has assured me that if she wants to remember, she will. But if she chooses not to, then our presence will be more painful for her.” And then Mr. Yang inquired, “How do you feel about that?”

TOP felt his heart squeeze and then he closed his eyes before he replied, “I’m fine with it. The time we have now will be all the more precious to me.”

Mr. Yang nodded, “And then, you’ll have time to yourself for the tour before you come back for college courses. Everything is set.” TOP opened his eyes, not feeling any better. He knew it had to happen but wasn’t sure why there was such a thick sense of unease around him.

Once in a van with Taeyang and GD, heading home, TOP pressed his speed dial and waited. When he heard Rania pick up, he asked, “Where are you?”

There were some familiar sounds in the background and then he heard a specific clank that was very familiar. Like that of an apartment complex front door that he stepped through every day.

Eyes wide with a sudden realization, he asked, “Are you at my apartment?”

Rania laughed and replied, “I made a delivery just now near where you live, I think. Are you home? Should I wait for you?” she added, giggling a bit.

“No!” TOP shouted, a bit louder than necessary. This drew Taeyang’s attention and, unfortunately, GD’s as well. TOP lowered his voice and stated, “Remember that park? Let’s meet there in an hour or so. I’ll wait for you,” he added.

The sounds around Rania shifted and he smiled, hearing the familiar roar of her motorcycle. Then he heard, “Okay! See you there!” Then the line went dead.

TOP brushed away the cold sweat he didn’t even know he had and turned to see Taeyang’s wide eyes. He cleared his throat and stated, “A dongsaeng wanted to meet up and talk. Something sensitive,” he added.

Taeyang nodded and fiddled with his phone. GD simply let his head fall back as he napped. Taeyang’s text hit TOP and he replied with, ‘Rania made deliveries and is waiting for me. Can you handle GD?

As the van drove past the park, he hopped off at an intersection and ran quickly through the darkness. When he reached the small park, he turned to see a black motorcycle stop by the curb. He walked over and Rania lifted her visor, “Want to take a ride?”

TOP took the spare helmet from her and climbed behind her. He wrapped his arms around her waist and kicked his feet onto the footrests on either sides. As Rania pulled from the curb, she took it easy for a bit and then picked up speed over the bridge. As exciting as it was to be riding with her, TOP had to be careful not to let it show as much as he wanted to, which he found slightly difficult.