Dream 003

It Was All A Dream

TOP saw Rania back to the café and, when he walked a few steps down the street, he sighed and stopped to stand very still. “Come out, come out, wherever you are,” he spoke into the darkness and Woobin stepped from the shadow of the building, where he had been waiting for TOP.

“What the hell is going on?” Woobin demanded, his voice shook gently with anger. 

TOP turned to Woobin and nodded towards a bus bench, “Sit down for a moment?” When Woobin did, TOP sighed and sat one space away from him and started his explanation. “Two days before she was scheduled to leave, there was a car accident. Long story short, Rania doesn’t remember too much of what happened during her time in Korea. In the next few months, she will go back to America as the end of her program here.”

Woobin shook his head, “And now, she’s living like that? That’s not right,” he added.

TOP nodded, “You’re right, it’s not. But, the accident might have been intentional. When help got there, she was unconscious and badly injured. From the trajectory of the accident, their car was the worst hit and on her side, too. They had to put her into a medically induced coma so that she could heal faster.” TOP swallowed, remembering looking down at her still covered in bandages. The sight was enough to incapacitate his legs. “Because of the damage, it was easier to let her forget the recent past so that she could have a brighter future. So the decision was made and kept from most of the world. You’re actually the first person to find out.”

That admission soothed Woobin a bit. The sudden thought of knowing a secret gave him a little happiness. He looked at TOP and asked, “Who else knows?”

TOP sighed, “Mrs. Kwan who owns The Lovely Café, Mr. Yang, Taeyang and me. Mrs. Kwan is actually the aunt of one of the Spinstas.”

Woobin nodded, “Stephanie, right.” Woobin turned to TOP and requested quite suddenly, “Let me become friends with her again. That’s all I want. Please,” he added. When TOP looked uncertain, he added, “I’ll protect her, too. I swear it.”

TOP had no reason to doubt it. In fact, he’d remembered seeing Woobin party a bit with Rania the night of the Karrest party. They seemed quite friendly, she made him laugh, and all of the Spinstas seemed quite familiar with him. There had been several after parties and he had gone to the one she originally had planned to attend, but that was before she met GD.

TOP sighed, “I’ll have to tell Mr. Yang about this. He might want to talk to you.”

Woobin shrugged, “As long as I can see Rania, I’m okay with that.” He stood and froze. “She won’t ever remember?” he asked a bit wistfully.

TOP nodded, “It’s unlikely. In four months, if she doesn’t remember anything, Mr. Yang will let the Spinstas take her back to her family in America. She will resume her life as though nothing happened over here.”

Woobin nodded, “Coming here was the unexpected event of her life. I remember,” he added and pushed his hands into his pockets, “I’ll be careful.” He nodded and stalked off. TOP picked up his phone and texted a short message. After that, he got into his car and drove off.

***

TOP drove through the streets of Seoul and then pulled into a parking garage. He jumped out, locked the door, and half-jogged into a barely opened sliding doors. He walked quickly and quietly, making it to the ICU wing without being stopped. There, he saw Stephanie seated on a bench, Taeyang leaned against the wall, his eyes closed but tension all over his stance.

“What’s happening?” he asked, his voice quite hoarse.

Taeyang swallowed and replied, “The others were taken back to their place to pack and get ready to leave.”

TOP felt his heart skip a beat before he managed to ask, “And Rania?”

Taeyang swallowed and then eyed the shut ICU doors. TOP had to move to the wall and lean against it. He didn’t want to assume the worse, but he couldn’t help but feel the impending doom behind the closed doors. They stayed for six hours as the night passed before a surgeon stepped out. By then, Mr. Yang had arrived and given instructions to be followed.

The doctors hurried her away through the inner corridors to avoid people and then a group of nurses situated her before they left. Taeyang left quickly to ensure the safety of the others and relay the news as TOP sat by the bed. He stared at her hand on the bed, pale, with an IV stuck in it. He swallowed and looked away. He’d asked Taeyang for this post because he didn’t think it would be so intense.

When he felt the urge to sleep, he stood and shook himself, stretching a bit. And then he turned to race Rania, who remained in her sleep, and he pulled out his cell phone and a soft beat. As the rhythm filled the air and space around them, he started running lyrics, ideas, and stringing words together. And then he stopped.

He turned and switched tracks quite suddenly to a simple beat with no additional instruments. He listened to the beat and then took a seat. He tapped on the arm of the chair he sat in and just let it play. “This is my new base beat. Do you like it?” he asked softly.

From the doorway, Mr. Yang entered and walked over. “Are you comfortable, then?” he asked and TOP jumped up from his seat. But Mr. Yang raised his hand for him to sit down, and so he did. Mr. Yang walked over and checked the monitors before he said, “It is said that, even in a comatose state, the patient can hear you. Be mindful of what you say,” and then he turned to Rania and stated, “The Spinstas will return to the states as planned. Your family will think you’re here for a cooking program. When the Spinstas return next year, you will go home with them. So rest well,” he finished and stood up straight.

TOP’s eyes were wide as he asked, “Really?”

Mr. Yang nodded towards the door and TOP joined him at the door. “I think it may be best for you to go home and rest. Just because the tours are resting, you should get into the studio and work on your music.”

TOP nodded, “I can come visit her then?”

Mr. Yang nodded, “We’ll keep this part quiet. Taeyang, you, and me know about this.”

TOP bowed his head and walked back to his seat. He stopped the beat but sat next to her for a while longer. Mr. Yang left without another word. Alone with someone he wasn’t sure he liked but knew he didn’t dislike, TOP hummed something gentle and sweet, never knowing until she repeated the melody...

***

Six months after the incident, as TOP sat with Taeyang chatting on the upper patio of The Lovely Café, Rania brought up two very hot and deep plates and set them down on the table before she took a seat across from an empty chair. Both TOP and Taeyang looked from the plates to her and then each other.

Rania smiled, “I know you guys don’t like to experiment when it comes to food, but I seriously think I’ve struck gold with this deep dish kimchi bulgogi pizza.”

“I don’t like cheese,” TOP stated.

And to that, Rania replied quickly, “It’s organic and healthy, not the processed kind you don’t like the taste of.”

Taeyang sniffed it and shook his head, “Garlic should not belong on pizzas.”

“Not on, but in is alright,” Rania winked and then cut two slices. She lifted them, admiring the goopiness of the cheese, and then waited.

Taeyang sighed and took his slice. “If you made it, I’ll try it,” he stated and took a big bite. And then he chewed.

Rania smiled and turned to TOP, who glared at the slice she held out to him. Where most deep-dish pizzas dripped oil, her slice didn’t. He leaned forward and asked, “Tell me the truth, you just want me to get sick, don’t you? You know how I react to all that American oil you like to use.”

Rania leaned forward and moved the slice right in front of his lips. “I didn’t use any oil in this pizza. I used the natural juices that come from plants and I’ve harnessed the energies of the universe to make this one-of-a-kind dish for you. Now,” she shook the slice in front of his face as Taeyang reached for his second slice, “eat it.”

TOP swallowed before opening his mouth and, for the first time, allowed a female that wasn’t related to him by blood feed him. When he took a bite, Rania waited and watched his facial expression, which didn’t change too much as he swallowed, “It’s good.”

Rania let out a sigh of defeat and sat back in her chair, folding her hands in front of her chest, “I was going for ‘great’, you brat!”

Taeyang smiled and wiped his mouth, “This is great pizza, noona!” He started another sentence but stopped abruptly when there were some squeals from below. “Oops, said that too loud,” Taeyang picked up his dish and walked closer to the glass panels that lined the balcony and looked down. “They know we’re here.”

Rania smirked, “Must be hard to live such luxurious lives.”

TOP glanced over to her and took another bite of the pizza, “Not really. We take in pets who cook very well. You want a new job?” he asked nonchalantly. Taeyang peeked over, half a smile on his face.

Rania sat back and rolled her eyes, “I’m still in the program, dude. This is, somehow, a step up for me. And I need all the experience I can get,” she added, closing her eyes and basking in the shade and sunlight.

TOP moved his seat closer to hers, using the excuse to avoid the sunlight as an excuse and then he froze. He looked over and frowned as Rania hummed to herself only something he’d ever sang to himself. He looked at her but she was in her own world, adding notes and playing with the counter melody. He wondered if he should say something…

***

TOP stopped at a red light and sighed. He didn’t like remembering the past like it was a sad memory. In truth, that pizza was amazing and set his taste buds dancing. He wanted the recipe so that when she left, he could find a way to make it himself. He’d known of her deep love for cooking, and her culinary interests. All of the Spinstas used their funds wisely and carefully. As a team, they relied, supported, and took care of each other.

And then the light turned green and TOP realized the sad fact that she would leave soon and, though she swore to never give him the recipe so that he could only get the pizza from her, it wasn’t the recipe he wanted most, he just wanted her. And that fact remained true despite her eminent departure.

“Four months,” TOP murmured to himself. He swallowed and wondered out loud, “What can I do in those four months?”