Dream 004

It Was All A Dream

TOP parked his car in the parking garage and then headed up to the apartment he shared with the other members of BigBang, he noticed the light from GD’s bedroom still on which meant that their leader was still very much awake. TOP sighed and knocked twice. When GD answered, TOP opened the door and leaned against the frame.

GD looked up and smiled, “Hey man, just getting in?”

TOP nodded, “Yeah, was hanging out with an old friend. What are you working on?” he asked, and then stiffened, noticing GD’s background change to a photo of him with the Spinstas the night of the Karrest visit to the YG facility.

GD smiled, “Writing into the night makes me feel good. Getting ready for Kiko’s visit,” he stopped and then smiled a bit sheepishly. TOP couldn’t blame GD for moving on after he believed the Spinstas left and cut off contact with him. At first, he had written to Rania, but when he got no response, due to the fact that Mr. Yang decided to turn off her phone, he allowed someone else to enter his safe space.

Truth be told, Kiko had always only ever been a distant thought. Because their stars weren’t aligned in the field of music, GD often brushed off interest in her. But when they got to talking, his realization that their interests and personalities were quite similar made the Taeyang and TOP feel a bit more at ease. With the Spinstas away on hiatus and Rania carefully tucked away from the city, life could move on though not at all, finally.

TOP sighed and turned away, “Get some sleep. We have the publicity blitz tomorrow,” he added and walked out of the room. GD sighed and continued to write, humming and working things out in his mind.

When TOP shut GD’s door, he walked down the hallway and stopped at his bedroom door. Taeyang opened his door and softly asked, “Woobin knows?”

TOP nodded, “He heard she was there and tracked her down. Nothing really happened,” TOP added.

Taeyang nodded, “Right. Well, this doesn’t change anything.”

TOP stepped into his room. “I know.”

Taeyang sighed and shut his door as TOP shut his. It was fair in TOP’s eyes. GD had his chance and then it was over. But, because of the situation, TOP had been allowed to stay by Rania’s side. So, it would only be fair for him not to keep her in the end.

***

After a quick shower, TOP changed into his sleeping clothes and jumped into his bed. He to his right side and closed his eyes. He saw nothing but the pinkness behind his eyelids. He sighed.

He wasn’t ready for sleep, but he wasn’t alert enough to stay awake. So he turned off his bedside lamp before closing his eyes again. This time, when his eyes closed, he managed to recall the breeze on the low platform on the upper balcony of the Lovely Café. He remembered the scent of the autumn evening, and tried to recall the chirpings of the crickets.

 

The lowered platform shifted as the person next to him rolled onto their back and sighed. “Waiting for the comet is always fun when you’re not alone,” Rania murmured, staring up at the sky, the moon lighting up the area around them. TOP turned to rest on his back and he smiled at her.

“I want to fall asleep,” TOP admitted coolly.

In the darkness, Rania whined back, “You can’t fall asleep! You have to wait for the comet to pass. Once you see the comet, it will grant you good luck,” she smiled, turning her face to him, “Don’t tell me you don’t need the luck, because I know you do!”

TOP frowned, “What do I need luck for?” He wanted to add that luck would not keep her next to him forever. He wanted to say something, anything, but nothing came out. So he let that moment pass into his long list of regrets.

Rania sighed and to her right side, so that she faced him, and nudged him, “Give me your arm.”

TOP swallowed, very surprised and a bit nervous. “Why?” he asked.

“I need a pillow,” Rania replied, reaching for his arm. Thankfully, TOP wore a jacket so his arm was quite soft. When Rania rested her head on it, she snuggled a bit and then pushed herself up so that she sat.

TOP turned to her, “What’s wrong?”

“It’s too low,” she stated and then laid down again, this time, she rested her head on his stomach. “There we go,” she added, lifting her knees so as not to fall off the small platform.

TOP reached down, feeling for her head, “I don’t think you should lay like that.”

And then came the words that he knew she felt empowered saying, “Donsaeng,” she chided and then he found her head.

“Noona, please, what if someone sees and misunderstands –” TOP started, but Rania turned and grabbed his wandering hands, holding on to them so that they didn’t move anymore.

She held them to her chest and, though it was dim, he saw that her eyes were closed, “Tell me when the comet is here. I have a wish I have to make.”

TOP sighed and gave up. He stared up at the sky and then, after a moment’s pause, he asked, “What’s your wish?”

He didn’t expect an answer, but half asleep, Rania replied, “That it can be happy like this forever.” Her answer surprised him and, strangely, mirrored his own. But, he knew she must have meant her pleasant life at the café and with her limited live. Surely, she didn’t mean laying on a small platform on the upper deck of the café with him.

TOP closed his eyes and swallowed, “Dadu, noona.” He didn’t notice Rania’s smile, it was too dark. He didn’t imagine her hands squeeze his, he thought she simply fell asleep. And as the comet crossed the sky, he didn’t wake her as he said he would, because that moment was enough of a wish already.

 

TOP opened his eyes and stared into the darkness. He was silent as he listened to a distant beat, a soft hum, and felt the long hair of Rania still in his hands, on his stomach, through his clothes. He could smell her shampoo and the shea butter in the lotion she used. He wondered if she had worn makeup or kept it all off because they would be in the darkness together.

He wondered if he should have kissed her.

Alone in his room, he wondered if she would have kissed him back. And then he remembered the sneakiest thing he had ever done. He still felt guilt for it, and yet, there was no remorse behind that memory. He fell asleep wondering if she remembered it. And very thankful that he did.

***

Taeyang woke up earliest and checked his phone. He saw two missed calls and groaned. He threw on his running attire and ran out the door without eating anything. When he got to the ground level, he looked around before hopping into a black van and taking off. He had a schedule and he was careful to keep it.

And when he was sure they were on their way, his phone rang and he picked it up. “Why are you up so early? I thought you rested more than a few hours each night,” he scolded easily.

On the other end, Rania replied, jogging already, “I think I’m ready to take the plunge. I worked hard, I’ve remained focus, even with him next to me, and I’m leaving soon. I think I deserve to play a little,” she added and then he heard someone next to her.

“Who is that?” he demanded, listening hard.

In the park, Rania stood face to face with Woobin, who bowed politely and asked, “It’s quiet and the sun has not risen yet. Would you mind if we jogged together?”

Rania looked Woobin over and then said into the phone, “Did you send me a body guard? Is this supposed to mean that I am weak in your eyes?” she demanded.

But Woobin shook his head, “I don’t like jogging alone. I can’t jog long, but I do what I can.”

On the other end, Taeyang sighed and replied, “Just let him. I’ll see you later today and we can talk more. My schedule is starting to get busier.”

And then Rania silenced both of them when she stated, “I’m going to ask him out. I want to see if,” she swallowed, “there is any more between us.”

Taeyang swallowed, feeling very conflicted because he knew he would have to tell Mr. Yang about this. “Noona, are you sure?” he asked softly.

Rania nodded firmly, “Yes. Well, right now I am. I’ll call him later today. Talk soon, TaeDong!” and then she hung up.

Woobin kicked at the dirt and squinted, “Who are you asking out?”

Rania looked at him and demanded, “Who are you?”

Woobin continued, “Do you mean TOP?”

Rania wiped the sweat from her forehead, “Why do you care?”

“Because we’re friends,” came out so easily for him, and then he clarified, “TOP and myself. We know each other.”

Rania frowned, looking at Woobin from head to toe and then raised her eyes to his. “Then why did were you guys like that yesterday?” she asked.

Woobin waved his hand dismissively, “If you’re going to ask him out, you should have more people on your side, right?” Woobin crossed his arms across his chest, “I can be on your side. I can help you with what you need.”

Rania looked away and shook her head, “I’m sorry, but I don’t know you. Thanks for your input, but have a nice day.” She looked around and turned, jogging off on her own. Woobin watched her for a moment and then hurried after her. He kept his distance but kept up.

When she reached the back entrance of the café, she stopped and stretched, not minding his presence. He stretched and then asked, “Can we become friends?”

Rania was quiet for a moment and then, out of the blue, she turned to him and commanded, “Make me ramen.”

Woobin’s eyes widened in surprise. “What?”

Rania sighed and ped her running jacket, “When I look at you, I think of ramen. So, yeah, make me ramen and based on your method, I’ll make a decision.”

Woobin frowned but followed her into the café. He wondered if she remembered but when he found others cleaning and prepping, he realized she may have meant later as opposed to that moment.

But then, she pulled out raw noodles and a pot of fresh soup. It was similar to the soup base of the ramen they had last time, but with what seemed to be more of an American taste. When she tossed him an apron, the rest of the kitchen somewhat froze. Several pairs of eyes looked from Woobin to their phones and then back again.

Noticing this, Rania cleared and asked, “What is the rule in this kitchen?”

Woobin watched as the cooks and staff put away their phones and continued to prep or clean. She smiled and then disappeared out of the kitchen. Woobin looked around but moved the pot to the stove. There, he waited for it to heat up and then added the noodle. It wasn’t a big deal, but he did walk around the kitchen, adding chives, an egg, and then cheese on top. He smiled to himself, remembering the first time they met.