2..

Pet boy (semi-hiatus until - INDEFINITELY)

"But," Luhan cut the two off, "Its just a bird. Not the same as the other animals. It's such a cute owl too. I think it will be ok to keep it."

Minseok flicked a finger against Luhan's forehead as he answered, "Don't try to be a smart Lu. Rules are rules."

Luhan sighed in defeat as he ran a finger on the back of the bird's neck. "I am sorry little one. I know, they are mean people. If I didn't live in this building myself, I would have definitely taken you with me. You are so beautiful." The owl arched his neck to allow Luhan to continue with his petting, shuffling closer to the human's hand.

Baekhyun watched as Minseok gave Luhan a dirty look, and knew that his hyung's competitive nature was flaming up. These two always had this weird kind of relationship, and it seemed that they would even fight for an owl's affection, an owl they were going to get rid of tomorrow.

"I am sorry too owl, but I must keep the rules; it is my duty as a supervisor. If I don't keep discipline, who will? you understand me?" Minseok extended his finger to pet the owl as well, but as soon as he got close, the owl bit the side of his finger, letting out an angry rasp.

Luhan laughed at Minseok's expression of surprise and betrayal as Baekhyun ran to get his first aid kit. He berated Minseok, "What did you expect? You are throwing him out tomorrow. Owls are smart!"

Minseok pouted as he stared at the owl who had with an exaggerated shake of his rear, turned his back to him. "I am not throwing him out. I am sending him to a new home-"

"A shelter!" Luhan deadpanned.

"And they keep them very nicely in shelter." Minseok argued back.

"Sure, but he chose this apartment as his house." Luhan tried arguing right back.

"Seriously Luhan? He chose? Someone left the package at the door. And you can't even be sure if this is a male." The owl turned his head slightly and let out another angry hoot.

"Guess that confirms the gender-"

"And you would believe a hoot as confirmation-"

"Anyways, as I was saying. This obviously was a gift to Baekhyun. You can't just ask him to throw his gift out. Not at least until you find out who gave it to him. That's basic courtesy." Luhan frowned slightly.

Minseok sighed thinking over Luhan's point when Baekhyun reappeared, "It's ok, I don't mind. We aren't even sure that it was for me. Someone must have made a mistake. I never ordered an owl, neither did I ask for any other bird." 

The owl turned at this and did something with his eyes that almost looked like an eye roll. He bent down before picking up something in his beak and flew towards Baekhyun. Turned out that the something was a small envelope. Baekhyun opened it while Luhan took over the first aid responsibility.

"Why is it being nice to you two but not me?" Minseok asked as he tried touching the owl again and almost got his finger bit off.

Luhan snorted, "Coz you are an ."

Baekhyun cut off their budding bickering session by reading out the contents of the envelope-

 

Hello Byun Baekhyun,

My name is Do Kyungsoo, and I am a burrowing owl. I like living in burrows, am active in daylight around dusk and dawn, and eat insects, small rodents, reptiles and amphibians. I am high maintenance but you will take care of me because I own you now. I also don't like being pet a lot-

at this Kyungsoo turned a glare at Minseok- 

but since you are mine, I will let you touch me. Don't overdo it or else I will bite your finger off. I don't like loud noises much, so you better behave now that i am here. Give me all your love and I will treat you nicely in return.

Do Kyungsoo.

 

"Seriously? The person signed the letter with this bird's name? Is this a joke? And it sounded more like a threat than a gift." Minseok said returning the owl's glare.

Luhan shook his head, "You are so childish Min. Are you seriously having a staring contest with an owl?"

Minseok tore his gaze from Kyungsoo who hooted in satisfaction, adding to Minseok's annoyance as he snapped at Luhan, "You are the one pretending to be all knowing about what this owl is feeling."

"That's it! You are officially too tired. Sleep, that's what you need. Let's get you back." Luhan said as he pulled Minseok up gently who grumbled about being totally awake, and not requiring any assistance, but not resisting either. Turning to Baekhyun, Luhan spoke, "You think you will be allright with the owl till the morning? We can figure out what to do then."

Baekhyun nodded as he saw the two out, thanking them for being there for him. Waving him off, the two went back.

Baekhyun closed the door and sighed as he walked back to the table where Kyungsoo was waiting for him, standing on one foot.

"Hey Kyungsoo!" Baekhyun greeted the owl as he pulled a chair to sit down at the table. He felt sleepy, but he couldn't go to sleep without figuring out how Kyungsoo will spend his night. 'Why are you standing like that? Is your other foot hurt?"

Kyungsoo softly hooted and did that thing again where he seemed like he was rolling his eyes, as if scoffing at Baekhyun's lack of knowledge.

Baekhyun opened up the search engine on his phone and looked up information about Kyungsoo. Thankfully, in his letter he had stated what kind of owl he was, which made things easier. "Oh, so you stand like that normally! And you really do hate being petted huh!" Baekhyun read on about burrowing owls as he placed a hand on the table. Kyungsoo padded forward and sat right beside Baekhyun's hand, kind of burrowing himself into Baekhyun's curled up fingers, making the human look up from his phone.

"What is this? I thought you hated being petted." Baekhyun said with a slight laugh.

This doesn't count.

Baekhyun shook his head. Did he just hear the bird? No way! It was probably the look he was giving him. Kyungsoo was a very expressive owl after all; one look into his eyes and you could tell what he was thinking.

"Sure, if you say so Soo."

Kyungsoo cocked his head to the side, that is not my name.

"But it is short and cute. I will call you Soo." Baekhyun laughed as he ran his finger behind Kyungsoo's neck, a gesture Kyungsoo seemed to welcome. "Sorry, for not being able to keep you. Luhan is right. You are very cute. It is a pity that you must leave."

Kyungsoo raised his wings, showing his anger. Are you seriously going to send me away? You can't do that! You are mine now. I selected you.

Baekhyun stared at Kyungsoo with confused eyes, "It seems I am a bit delirious due to lack of sleep. Let's get you settled up so that i can sleep too."

Take my box to your bed!

"Do you want to sleep with me?" Baekhyun asked scratching his forehead, wondering where he got that idea from. Though it seemed that Kyungsoo liked the idea because he hooted softly and perched on Baekhyun's shoulder, waiting for him to pick up his box.

"Though seriously, I wonder how old are you. You look like a baby ow-OW" Baekhyun winced when Kyungsoo dug his talons into him, slightly grazing his skin. "Do you have a complex about that too? First no petting, now no age talk, what else your highness?"

 Kyungsoo chattered in satisfaction, as if happy with the title while ignoring the rest of Baekhyun's rant.

"We don't even know if you are a male. How do you know with birds anyways? Should we check the same way as we do dogs?" Baekhyun asked extending his hand towards Kyungsoo but the other wouldn't agree to the testing and almost bit Baekhyun's finger off. 

"Jeez, you are a feisty one," Baekhyun said as he set down Kyungsoo's box, letting him sit in it again. "I feel bad for who ever will own you next."

At this kyungsoo let out a sad hoot, and disappeared inside the makeshift burrow in his box, and no amount of coaxing from Baekhyun brought him out till the morning.


Kyungsoo is angry now... baekhyun totally ignored his threat introductory message.

In case you were curious: in burrowing owls, males and females have little ual dimorphisms, i.e. they look similar. Usually, females have darker coats, and might be smaller, while males seem to have more faded coats.

You will also notice that I used some burrowing owl call terms in here. There are a few other than just hoot. There is a rasp, chuck, chatter, buzz, etc. I attached a link to the first sound (rasp) so that you can go listen to a few if you want. These sounds are used for different purposes, such as a buzz is used by juveniles when they feel threatened. I am not going to follow the reality of things since this is a fiction. I might even use a buzz even though Kyungsoo is not a juvenile. 

I will probably keep throwing in facts in the author's notes coz why not, right? If i am doing my research, might as well add a lil tid bit here and there.

I have to research laws of getting a license to keep a bird of prey as a pet. Special procedures and .

Until next update *bows*

Other stories: The Personal Assistant,   bad kids,   best of best* exo fic recommendations,   Baeksoo oneshot* collection,   you found me!,   Stupid Exo Oneshot collections,   The God of laziness,    Exobendbaeksoo reference listsnow white

Awesome people: Tina08,  PeasentOTP

Co-author stories: best of best* exo fic recommendations with PeasentOTP The mermaid's kiss with Tina08