Unexpected

Broken yet Precious

This morning, the coffee shop is so quiet. There are not much people, only a few customers sitting calmly in their seat while doing their activities. Some of them are probably a student in their day off. They are doing their homework; and there are tons of them. People couldn’t unsee the stress look on their face because the amount of their homewoks—since they have several books and the laptop on the table.

 

And the other people are mostly men who are enjoying their morning coffee in this quiet place, reading newspaper while humming to the slow music that playing through the speakers around this cozy coffee shop. The music is not too loud, so it’s not bothering the people in here.

 

Her eyes eyed the cop who sits by a vintage jukebox is happily talking with an old man who looks like a World War’s veteran as they’re enjoying their breakfast. A beautiful short-haired brunette who sits by the window look so busy writing something in her notes; sometimes her eyes are wandering outside the window, probably looking for an idea for whatever she is doing right now.

 

This place is so better with this kind of atmosphere; it’s so calm and there’s not much people talking and laughing here. So peaceful.

 

As her eyes drifts to the laptop, she can hear the bell clangs but she doesn’t bother to look who it is. Until she feel a pat on her shoulder and a familiar voice greets her.

 

“Good morning.”

 

It’s Yuri who just came for her morning shift.

/

“What happened to you? You look…awful with those red eyes and black circle under your eyes.” Yoona whispers as she look at her bestfriend who is currently trying not to sleep in the middle of class.

 

Tiffany smiles wryly but not saying anything since she’s so freaking sleepy. Damn that nerdy girl who made me sleep at three in the morning, overslept, and eventually late for class; Tiffany mumbles to herself. The urge to close her eyes are so huge, but Tiffany couldn’t do that. It would be so embarrassing for her to sleep in the middle of class.

 

“Hey, answer me. Are you lacking of sleep or something?”

 

“Yeah, I slept at three last night.”

 

“That’s so rare. What happened to your beauty sleep and you-have-to-sleep-before-11?”

 

“Shut up, Yoong.”

 

The doe eyed girl giggles until she stops because the professor caught her giggling and ask her to solve the problem on the board. Tiffany couldn’t unhear those swear words as she stand up and walk to the front of the class.

 

Tiffany wishes time would move faster so she could get a fifteen-minutes nap during break time before another class starts.

/

Tiffany and her friends exit the classroom, heading to the closest small restaurant near their campus. As a popular girl among her friends, she often get a lot of greetings from the other students, but some of them might be a shy person and instead of greet Tiffany, they just stare at her creepily. At first, Tiffany feel so awkward to that kind of act, but she’s getting used with it as the time flies.

 

Yoona is pretty famous too, but she’s not as famous as Tiffany.

 

“Hey Tiffany, how about we go to a club tonight?” Since the popular girl is sleepy, she nearly doesn’t see the person that talking to her. Everything is blur, that’s why Yoona held Tiffany’s arm since they exited the classroom.

 

“It’s Siwon.” Yoona whispers. How helpful she can be.

 

“Oh? Hi Siwon.”

 

“You look awful. Are you alright?”

 

“Yeah, I’m fine. Thanks for asking. What’s up?”

 

Siwon raised his eyebrows, doubting what Tiffany said. She obviously look so horrible with those red eyes and black circle under her eyes.

 

“You want me to get you something?” Siwon offers her.

 

“No, it’s fine! I’m about to have lunch with my friends.”

 

“You sure?”

 

“Yeah. So, what was that you are talking about?”

 

Siwon rubs the back of his head, “yeah, I was talking about taking you to a club tonight. You wanna join me?”

 

“Oh, thank you for the offer but I can’t. I… kind of busy lately.”

 

“In your coffee shop?” He couldn’t hide his disappointment on his face. He is so obvious that he likes Tiffany, Yoona mumbles to herself.

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Well then, I will drop by to your coffee shop if I had time.”

 

Tiffany smiles, “yeah, you have to.”

 

“See you later, Tiffany.”

 

“See ya.”

 

As Tiffany and Yoona walks away from Siwon, Yoona says, “you only have twelve minutes to sleep. And we haven’t even reached the restaurant. So approximately nine minutes to sleep.”

 

“I know. Damn that guy for stopping us. I really need to sleep.”

/

School is finally over and Tiffany is immediately making her way to the parking lot and drive her BMW out of the building. She told her friends that she has something to do in the coffee shop—although she always uses that excuse lately. But this time, there’s a specific reason why she wanted to go to her shop that bad.

 

It’s raining quite hard and Tiffany never drive this fast, but she did. She does know the consequence of driving like this; it’s dangerous, she could kill herself and anyone, but her mind is focused to someone.

 

After she parked her car, she grabs the dark blue hoodie in the backseat and wears it before walking out of the car. She pulls up her hoodie to cover her from the rain and walks toward the front door of the coffee shop. The bell clangs when Tiffany open the door, showing her the amount of people who is chilling out and laughing in her coffee shop. The smell of coffee is so strong and it makes Tiffany feel happy. What makes her happy even more is when she saw the happy expression on her customers’ face after they drink the coffee—or the other beverage—and the foods there.

 

When she remember the main reason why she came here, her eyes couldn’t stop looking to every corner of the coffee shop, yet she couldn’t spot that girl. The seat that she had yesterday is empty.

 

At this point, Tiffany feel a disappointment rushes through out her body. She leans her body on the empty desk near her, causing Yuri to pat the-disappointed-girl cheek as soon as she recognize Tiffany is standing there.

 

“What’s up, Tiff? You look down today.” She greets as she place her hands on her waist.

 

“Nothing. Just a bit disappointed.”

 

“You sure it’s just a bit? Because your face doesn’t look like it.”

 

Dang, Yuri surely knows her so well. Tiffany looks Yuri in the eye, but she doesn’t say anything.

 

“It’s okay if you don’t want to tell me. You want me to make something for you? Latte?”

 

“No thanks. I don’t feel like—”

 

Before Tiffany could finish her words, she heard the bell clangs once again and shows her a girl in a black hoodie with ‘Old Navy’ written on the chest part. That somehow makes Tiffany’s eyes widened because she recognize that person.

 

It’s the girl she was looking for.

 

It pisses Tiffany off how that girl make Tiffany’s heart flutters just by pulling out her hoodie, showing her glorious blonde hair and her cute face. Seeing her in that wet hoodie make her looks like a wet cat, and it’s cute.

 

Yuri suddenly leaves Tiffany and walks toward her locker room. And not long after that, she walks toward that girl and helps her drying her hair with a towel that she took from her locker.

 

Something is not right. Why does Yuri treats her like she is so special to her?

 

She feels a slight pang in her heart just by thinking about it. Is she Yuri’s girlfriend? But Tiffany doesn’t even know that Yuri is a bi or a lesbian.

 

“Tiff!” Yuri calls her, making Tiffany to snap out of her thoughts.

 

“You okay?”

 

“I-I’m okay.”

 

“Let me introduce my friend. Tiffany, she is Jessica. Jessica, she is Tiffany, my boss and also my closest friend here. We’re the same age.”

 

Jessica, what a beautiful name.

 

She only lift her right hand and smile to Tiffany. Why doesn’t she say anything? Isn’t that kinda rude? Tiffany murmurs to herself, letting all the negative thoughts into her mind.

 

Before she could say anything, Yuri leads Jessica to her usual place, making her comfortable before she goes back to her locker room to return the wet towel.

 

Tiffany feels awkward just by standing there and she decides to approach the girl with her heart that most likely almost jump out of her chest in no time.

 

“Hello. What kind of drink do you want? A coffee? Or a glass of tea? Or some warm food? I will ask Yuri to make it for you.”

 

She doesn’t say anything, instead she takes out her blue note from her backpack. She writes something on it.

 

You don’t have to. Yuri knows my favorite :)

 

Tiffany blushes at that cute handwriting. Deep down, she curses at everything with her is so cute. Her face, her handwriting, her facial expression, everything. Tiffany want to hear her voice. It must be cute as well. She definitely head over heels with this girl

 

“Oh, okay then.” Tiffany rubs the nape of her neck, she couldn’t handle the awkward atmosphere between them and she decided to go back to her office. At least she has seen this girl.

 

“See you again, Josephine. It’s nice to know you.”

 

 “Actually it’s Jessica :)

 

Tiffany blushes even more in embarrassment. Once she come back to her office, she definitely would bang her head to the wall because she misspelled her name. It was so embarrassing. She just ruined everything.

 

It’s Jessica, you ! How could you forget that beautiful name!? In her mind, Tiffany had smack her own head to the wall several times.

 

“I’m sorry! I misspelled your name…”

 

Awkward.

 

It’s okay. It’s nice to know you too, Tiffany.

 

“I’m sorry once again.” Tiffany only receives a smile and a lifted hand.

 

She walks in to her office and she literally smack her head to the wall. She is drowning in embarrassment and how she wanted to rewind the time and spelled Jessica’s name properly.

 

“Stupid Tiffany Hwang.” She places her head on her desk, feeling the pain doesn’t want to go from her head after banging it to the wall.

 

For about ten minutes after everything happened, Yuri comes in to her office.

 

“Hey, Tiff. I hope you won’t get offended at how Jessica talks to you.”

 

“I was wondering why she didn’t want to talk to me and used a note instead.”

 

Yuri was hesitated to tell Tiffany about something that probably she’s hiding.

 

“Well, she is…”

 

“She is?”

 

“She is…”

 

“Goddammit Yuri, just ing tell me! Don’t make me curious like this.”

 

“She is mute.”

 

Oh…

 

And Yuri leaves the room as soon as she told Tiffany about her friend’s condition, leaving Tiffany speechless.

 


a/n: sorry if it's too long! I really enjoyed writing this chapter hehe and for your information, in the future I would write Jessica's part in Bold and Italic, so you guys won't get confused with the thoughts of the characters, okay? :) thanks for reading <3