Breakup

Prep

Things settled down after that. Taemin was significantly less stressed now that he and Seunghyun were back on speaking terms. He had missed talking to his hyung, especially once he and Jonghyun began dating. He had Niel's support always, but it was nice that his roommate was also on his side. He tried his best to spend equal time with both of them. With Niel it was easy- he got along with both Jonghyun and Seunghyun. But for some reason, Jonghyun and Seunghyun were a little touchy around each other. They all ate together and were polite, but things still felt strained. So Taemin spent time them separately. Sometimes, though, Taemin just need Niel, so he would wander down to his best friend's room for some quiet time. Minsoo would give them privacy, and they would curl up on Niel's bed. Sometimes they would talk, and sometimes they would just nap. Overall, Taemin thought he was doing a good job keeping balance.

 

 

Seunghyun definitely felt better now that he and Taemin were talking again. He hadn't realized it, but he missed having Taemin's full attention, those big beautiful eyes trained on him. He missed the way the boy's face would light up when he smiled. Things were pretty much back to normal, just with the addition of Jonghyun. It wasn't that Seunghyun didn't like Jonghyun- the junior certainly seemed nice, and he definitely made Taemin happy. Seunghyun just wasn't sure if he fully trusted the guy who was Minho's roommate. Taemin had promised Seunghyun that Minho was the bully, and that Jonghyun was nothing like him. Seunghyun was still a little suspicious. He wouldn't say anything more about it though. He knew someone would tell him if Jonghyun was hurting Taemin.

 

 

If Seunghyun were honest with himself, he knew a large portion of his animosity towards Jonghyun was jealousy. Now that he knew how he felt about Taemin, Seunghyun wanted him all to himself. He wanted all of Taemin's attention, all of his laughs, his smiles, his kisses. But Seunghyun also knew he didn't deserve them. He had hurt Taemin and this was the most he could hope for. He would have to content himself with being Taemin's friend and roommate. It admittedly wasn't ideal, but Seunghyun wasn't such a jerk that he would try to break up Taemin and Jonghyun's relationship.

 

 


Taemin curled up in bed, sobbing his heart out. He didn't know when everything had gone so wrong. He thought things were fine. He thought they were happy.

“Taemin?” It was Seunghyun. He sat on Taemin's bed, resting a hand on his leg. “What is it?”

Taemin couldn't answer.

“Is it your parents?”

Taemin shook his head.

“Niel?”

Another shake.

Seunghyun paused. “Is it Jonghyun?”

Taemin nodded and cried harder.

“Okay. Is he hurt?”

“He d-dumped m-me.”

Seunghyun stared at him. Finally he gathered Taemin into his arms. Taemin sobbed great gasping sobs, burying his face in Seunghyun's shirt. Seunghyun didn't say anything, just rocked Taemin back and forth while his hair.

 

 

It took a while for Taemin to settle down. When he finally finished crying, he still clung to Seunghyun.

“Did he say why?” Seunghyun asked gently.

“Just that he didn't think we were right together and that it wasn't working.” Taemin sniffed. “But I thought I was doing everything right!”

“Shhhh,” Seunghyun pressed a kiss to Taemin's hair. “I'm sure you were. But it's not always about the right thing or the wrong thing. Sometimes people just don't fit.”

Taemin flumped face first onto his pillow.

Seunghyun rubbed Taemin's back. “I'm gonna run to the general store for reinforcements. Want me to send Niel in?”

Taemin nodded.

 

 

Minsoo opened their door and raised an eyebrow. He and Niel had been avoiding Seunghyun since the Sohee fiasco.

“Is Niel here?” Seunghyun asked.

Minsoo raised his other eyebrow, but stepped aside. Niel was studying on his bed, and looked up in surprise.

“Taemin needs you,” Seunghyun said. “Jonghyun dumped him and he's a wreck.”

Niel was off like a shot, not saying anything to the seniors in the doorway.

“What are you up to?” Minsoo asked, leaning against the door frame.

“General store,” Seunghyun replied. “I'm going to stock up on as much of Taemin's favorites as I can.”

Minsoo crossed his arms. “And Jonghyun?”

Seunghyun shrugged. “Not my business. My concern right now is taking care of Taemin.”

Minsoo gave a satisfied smile.

 

 

 

Right before reaching the store entrance, Seunghyun saw Jonghyun. Jonghyun spotted him as well, and turned in the opposite direction. Seunghyun followed, and when he entered into an empty alcove, Jonghyun was waiting for him. They stared at each other in silence.

“Why did you do it?” Seunghyun asked softly. “He's devastated.”

Jonghyun sighed. “I'm sorry, I really am. But Taemin likes you more, and it was too hard.”

Seunghyun's jaw dropped.

“Are you really the last to know?”Jonghyun snorted. “Man you are something else.”

“But why didn't you just tell Taemin that? He's crushed. He thinks he did something wrong.”

Jonghyun rolled his eyes. “Come on, man. It's Taemin. He would blame himself, and he would be even more upset. I don't mind being the to keep him from going through that.”

Seunghyun sighed, knowing Jonghyun was right. He studied the junior in front of him. Jonghyun was shuffling his feet and playing with his fingers. Seunghyun suddenly felt sorry for him. Jonghyun had treated Taemin well, and then he lost him. Seunghyun could certainly identify with that.

“I'm so sorry, Jonghyun.”

“Yeah, well,” Jonghyun shrugged. “Just take care of him, yeah?”

“I promise.” Seunghyun turned to leave, but then turned back. “He really liked you, you know?”

Jonghyun smiled faintly. “Yeah, I know. He just likes you more.”

Seunghyun nodded, then turned to leave.

 

 

At the store, Seunghyun stocked up on all of Taemin's favorites, throwing in some items for himself and Niel as well. When he returned to his room, he found Niel and Taemin curled up in Taemin's bed, facing each other. Taemin's tears had dried and he nodded at something Niel was saying. They both sat up when they noticed Seunghyun. He smiled and dumped the treats down onto he bed.

“Geez, hyung!” Taemin exclaimed. “Did you buy out the whole store?”

Seunghyun made a face. “Maybe? But I'm sure they have more in back stock!”

“Oooh, peanut butter!” Niel exclaimed.

“Those are for you.”

“What about Minsoo?”

“What about him?”

Niel snorted. He gathered up his treats, then turned to Taemin. “You going to be okay?”

Taemin nodded, his cheeks puffed adorably from a cupcake.

Niel laughed and pinched his cheek. “Play nice you two,” he said before sauntering out of the room.

 

 

“Movies?” Seunghyun asked, picking up his laptop.

Taemin nodded, and made room on his bed.

Seunghyun pulled up a scary one, smiling as Taemin snuggled up to his side. He dropped a kiss onto Taemin's head, smiling that his world had been righted again.