Interlude

Prep

Not too long after that, Taemin and Jonghyun became a couple. Taemin spent a lot of his free time with his new boyfriend. They cuddled and kissed, but they did also study a lot. Seunghyun wanted to complain about them spending so much time together, but he couldn't. Taemin's grades were excellent, and he seemed so happy. Seunghyun still wanted to complain, though.

 

 

Seunghyun hated seeing Taemin wearing Jonghyun's jacket instead of the one he himself gave to Taemin two months previous. The coat was big on Jonghyun, but fit Taemin just right, and he looked equal parts adorable and y. Heechul, Key, and Ren didn't think that was fair.

 

 

Jonghyun began sitting with them at meal times, and Seunghyun hated how easily he got along with Niel. Niel was supposed to hate Jonghyun, and push Taemin towards Seunghyun. But instead Niel and Minsoo did couples stuff with Taemin and Jonghyun. And the inside jokes! It was enough to make Seunghyun's eye twitch.

 

 

The worst was when the dorm had a movie night. Snacks, blankets, pillows and pajamas. Taemin was in one of Seunghyun's t-shirts and a pair of sweats. His hair was pulled back and his cheeks were plump and rosy, his lips totally kissable. But it was Jonghyun who was kissing those lips, caressing those cheeks. Because it was Jonghyun that Taemin was cuddled up to. And Seunghyun hated it. He felt like he was constantly walking around with a pout.

 

 

 

“It's your own fault and I don't feel the least bit sorry for you,” Heechul said as they waited for class to start.

Seunghyun glared at his friend.

“All I'm saying is,” Heechul continued. “you had your shot, and you blew it.”

“This is hardly helpful,” Seunghyun growled.

Heechul scoffed. “I'm not interested in helping you,” he sniffed. “But I am concerned about Taemin.”

Seunghyun looked up in surprise.

“Come on,” Heechul huffed. “You guys were so close. Taemin ing adores you. Now that's he's dating this Jonghyun kid, you've pushed him away. Taemin's devastated- he needs you. He thinks he's done something wrong.”

Seunghyun's eyes widened. “It's not true!”

“I know it isn't. But that's not how he sees it.”

Seunghyun rested his head in his hands. He had hurt the one person he most wanted to protect and make happy. He sighed.

“Hey man, I get it,” Heechul offered gently. “It's hard to see the person you like with someone else. It . All you can do now is be his friend.”

Seunghyun closed his eyes. The teacher walked in, effectively halting all conversation. Seunghyun had to prove to Taemin that they were still friends, that Seunghyun would always be there. He had to.

 

 

 

When Taemin arrived back in his room at the end of the day, it had been transformed. A small Christmas tree stood on top of their tiny fridge. Small boughs of holly were tied to their beds. Stockings were pinned to the door, and white twinkle lights were string across the ceiling. Taemin marveled at the sight.

“What do you think?” Seunghyun emerged from that bathroom, a Santa hat perched jauntily on his head.

“It's beautiful!” Taemin exclaimed.

Seunghyun smiled and placed reindeer antlers on Taemin's head,

Taemin blushed.

Seunghyun turned to look over the room. “Feel free to change it however you like.”

Taemin shook his head. “It's perfect.” He noticed Seunghyun watching him with a familiar small and soft smile, and he blushed.

“Listen Taemin,” Seunghyun sighed. “I know I've been an lately, and I'm so sorry. But I promise, it's nothing do with you, okay? You didn't do anything wrong.”

Taemin bit his lip.

“I can't explain to you my behavior, but I swear, I am so sorry. I will continue to be here for you. I'm still for you.”

“Promise you'll never do it again?”

“I promise, I swear.”

Seunghyun looked crushed, and Taemin moved to give his roommate a hug.

Seunghyun held Taemin tightly. “You're everything, Taemin,” he said, his voice barely above a whisper. “I don't want to lose that.”