Accident

Prep

Taemin stuffed his hands in his pockets as he headed back towards his dorm. He had finished his math test early and was dismissed for the rest of the period.

 

 

 

Taemin pushed out of a heavy door and out across the courtyard, ruminating on the past couple of weeks. Seunghyun had been patient, kind, and funny. He seemed to sense whenever Taemin began to feel homesick, so he would act goofy to make Taemin smile again. He introduced Taemin to all of his friends- Key and Onew, Donghae and Eunhyuk- and always made sure Taemin was comfortable and entertained. They spent pretty much all day of everyday together, often with Niel and Minsoo. Nights found Seunghyun watching Taemin as he went through his nightly routine of lotion, facial moisturizer, and lip balm. Seunghyun would sit in Taemin's desk chair, resting his chin on top of his hands, watching with almost pure adoration. He would say that Taemin was the prettiest thing he'd seen in a month of Sundays, leaving Taemin to roll his eyes and blush.

 

 

 

Taemin was pretty sure he was in love with Seunghyun. He knew it was ridiculous since he was only fifteen and Seunghyun only seventeen. If it were only about Seunghyun's looks, Taemin would have no problem using the word 'crush'. He just knew it was so much more than that- Seunghyun was smart, funny, and kind to everyone. He also took such good care of Taemin- “Singular care”, according to Minsoo (these words usually accompanied by a wink and a smirk). The first day of classes found Taemin in the bathroom- an hour before his alarm was supposed to go off- with a nervous stomach. Seunghyun discovered him, held back his hair, wiped his face, and curled up with him until it was time for them to get ready. When he returned from classes that afternoon, Taemin found some packets of peppermint tea and a bag of his favorite lemon drop candy on his desk.

 

 

Yeah, Choi Seunghyun was pretty perfect.

 

 

 

“Heads up!” a voice shouted, breaking through Taemin's thoughts before he was bowled to the ground.

 

“You okay, little one?”

 

Taemin pushed himself up. “I'll be alright.”

 

“Taemin?”

 

Taemin looked up to see Donghae wincing down at him.

 

“Oh man, Seunghyun is going to kill me. He's so overprotective of you.” Donghae groaned.

 

Taemin rolled his eyes and stood. He moved on his ankle and walked on it a bit. “It seems okay. I probably just bruised it.”

 

Donghae still looked skeptical, making Taemin laugh.

 

I never saw you. I was knocked over by someone I didn't know.”

 

The bell rang then, silencing any argument Donghae may have made.

 

 

 

Taemin limped through the rest of his classes, vowing to ice his ankle when he got back to his room. He had just taken off his show and sock when Seunghyun walked in.

 

Taemin!” Seunghyun exclaimed, a look of alarm on his face as he all but tossed his books onto his bed in his haste to get to his roommate.

 

Hey!” Taemin replied brightly. Taking note of Seunghyun's expression, he said, “It's not as bad as it looks. I'll ice it and keep it elevated for the weekend. It's just bruised, and will be good as new on Monday.”

 

What did the nurse say?” Seunghyun asked, feathering his fingers over Taemin's ankle, making him giggle.

 

I didn't go,” Taemin answered, wriggling his toes against Seunghyun's fingers.

 

What?” Seunghyun's head snapped up. “Why not?”

 

Taemin shrugged. “There's no need to.”

 

Taemin, there could be significant damage.”

 

Nah, it's fine.”

 

You don't know that!”

 

I do, actually. Niel and I roughhoused a lot- we both know what breaks, sprains, twists and bruising feel like. I'm not stupid.”

 

Seunghyun set his jaw. “We're going to the nurse, now.”

 

Taemin leaned back, crossing his arms and eyeing Seunghyun. “No we're not. You can't make me. You're my roommate and my elder, but you are not the boss of me.”

 

 

 

Seunghyun stared at Taemin. He had no idea how to respond, so he just nodded and left the room. Taemin leaned back and tried to ignore the tears tracking down his cheeks.

 

 

 

Why exactly are you pouting in our room?” Heechul demanded from Ren's bed, running his fingers through the blonde's hair.

 

I'm not pouting,” Seunghyun sighed.

 

Uh-huh,” Heechul replied in a disbelieving tone. “Trouble in paradise?”

 

Seunghyun made a face.

 

What did you do?” Ren asked.

 

What makes you think I did anything?”

 

Because Taemin is the most perfect thing ever and can no wrong,” Heechul answered.

 

Seunghyun scowled.

 

You know I'm right,” Heechul replied, getting up to answer a knock at the door.

 

 

 

Niel and Minsoo walked in, Niel stopping when he saw Seunghyun.

 

Why aren't you taking care of Taemin?”

 

Ren sat up. “What happened to Taemin?”

 

Someone knocked him over in the courtyard and he bruised his ankle.”

 

Everyone turned to Seunghyun, who crossed his arms.

 

Taemin yelled at me,” he huffed.

 

Niel rolled his eyes. “Taemin doesn't yell. At anyone. Ever. Besides, you're overreacting.”

 

Seunghyun could only splutter.

 

Look, there are some things-” Niel stopped, looking around the room. Sighing, he reached forward and grabbed Seunghyun's wrist, pulling him from the room.

 

Minsoo made to follow, but Niel stopped him. “You have to stay. This is between Seunghyun and me.”

 

But-”

 

Stay or you sleep in your bed tonight. Alone.”

 

Minsoo frowned, and Niel dragged Seunghyun down the hall and outside, not stopping until they reached the fountain in the center of the courtyard.

 

So, you and Minsoo?” Seunghyun asked.

 

Niel blushed. “Never mind. We're talking about Taemin.”

 

Seunghyun sighed.

 

Look, Taemin's home life... isn't the best. Taemin's father is a friend of the drink. It's why Taemin doesn't have any fun money.”

 

Is that... why he said he'd never had so much food? That first night?”

 

Niel nodded. “Mrs. Lee did the best she could. She's a hard worker. So's Taemin. That's where he gets it from. Hard work, no favors.”

 

That's why he won't let me spoil him,” Seunghyun grumbled.

 

Mr. Lee won't allow anyone to help them. Too proud. So whenever I played with Taemin my mom packed enough food for three people. It was her way of making sure Taemin ate.”

 

Taemin said you guys roughhoused a lot, and he knows what various injuries feel like.”

 

Yup. We didn't have a hospital close by, just a clinic. Everyone there knew us by name.” Niel grinned. “It amazes me we've lived this long.”

 

 

 

Seunghyun smiled, but then it faded. “Did Mr. Lee...”

 

Niel shook his head. “Not Taemin. Mrs. Lee wouldn't let him. But she is a battered woman. Taemin was powerless to stop it.”

 

And why he hates being babied,” Seunghyun connected. “It makes him feel weak.”

 

Niel nodded. “He's spoiled and petted because, well, you've met him.”

 

Seunghyun smiled fondly.

 

But those same people always try to keep Taemin from doing things. As if they're afraid he'll break. That's why coming here is such a big deal. He can be free. Even his father recognized how important it is. He sobered up enough to see us off.”

 

 

 

Seunghyun sat quietly, before turning to Niel. “Thanks, man.”

 

Niel smiled and slapped Seunghyun's shoulder. “Just keep this between us.”

 

You bet,” Seunghyun replied, ruffling Niel's hair.

 

 

Seunghyun stopped at the general store before heading back to his room. When he got back, he could tell Taemin had been crying, but he didn't say anything. He set the candy he'd bought on Taemin's nightstand before sitting next to him. He placed his hand on the other side of Taemin, leaning across him.

 

Taemin, I didn't mean to upset you. We're friends, and I try to look out for you.”

 

Taemin sighed, and looked at his hands. “I know. But I'm not weak.”

 

I don't think you're weak at all. I bet you're stronger than people give you credit for.”

 

Taemin offered a small smiled, but still couldn't look at Seunghyun.

 

Seunghyun lifted Taemin's head so they were eye to eye. “I always take care of the people I care about.”

 

Taemin flushed and smiled widely, before looking away.

 

Seunghyun smiled back, before fetching his laptop. “Now we're going to spend the weekend eating junk food and watching movies. Anywhere you need to go, I'll piggy back you.”

 

Seunghyun,” Taemin whined, as Seunghyun climbed into bed next to him.

 

Or I'll just throw you over my shoulder. Your choice.”

 

Taemin rolled his eyes at Seunghyun's smirk and smuggled into his roommate's side.