Aftermath

Prep

Taemin spent the day avoiding Seunghyun: He sped to his classes and through his meals. Niel looked confused, but Taemin didn't answer him, only dashed away before Seunghyun caught up with him. But now dinner was over, and Taemin wasn't ready to go back to his room just yet. He thought the library might be too obvious, so he just wandered around.

“Taemin?”

Taemin turned to see Jonghyun standing a little ways away from him. “Hey.”

“Minho was expelled.”

Taemin bit his lip. He wasn't sure how to feel. Minho was awful, but he was Jonghyun's roommate.

“It's his own fault,” Jonghyun said, as if he were reading Taemin's mind. “He was an awful person.”

“He was your friend.”

Jonghyun snorted. “He was a bully and I was too scared to stand up to him. That's not really a friendship.”

Taemin just fiddled with the straps of his backpack.

“Anyways, what are you up to?”

“Just looking for a quiet place to study.”

Jonghyun tilted his head. “Not in your room?”

Taemin blushed and cleared his throat, looking away.

“Okay. Um, well, I know of a private spot where I'm never bothered, if you want to check it out.”

 

 

Taemin followed Jonghyun to a small rounded alcove by the front doors. The arched doorway faced arched windows, and a couple of plants by the opening blocked the view from passersby.

“It's beautiful!” Taemin exclaimed.

Jonghyun smiled and shouldered off his backpack. He plopped onto the bench that ran around the alcove. “Isn't it? Peaceful too.”

 

 

They settled into their homework. It was quiet, but Jonghyun would answer any question Taemin had. Sometimes he would hum softly. Jonghyun was a calming presence, and Taemin was grateful for the opportunity to not have to think. Before long, the first curfew warning bell rang. It allowed the students five minutes to make it back to their dorms before curfew. Taemin and Jonghyun quickly packed their things and headed towards the dorms.

“Thanks for this,” Taemin blushed. “It means a lot.”

Jonghyun bumped their shoulders. “Maybe we could do it again, sometime?”

Taemin smiled. “Okay.”

 

 

The sound of arguing inside his dorm room stopped Taemin in his tracks. The door was cracked the tiniest bit, so he leaned as close as he dared.

“Honestly Seunghyun! What were you thinking?” Heechul shrieked.

Taemin raised an eyebrow.

“I wasn't-”

“Clearly,” Heechul cut off savagely. “You never do when Sohee is around.”

“He has a point, hyung,” Key piped up. “What were you even doing with her in the first place?”

“We were just talking!” Seunghyun insisted. “I was telling her about Taemin and how great he is-”

Taemin blushed and felt himself warm.

“And how did that end up with you and Sohee in bed?”

Seunghyun sighed. He became quiet, and Taemin desperately wanted to see what was happening.

“Hey Taemin!”

Taemin startled into an upright position. He turned to see Donghae waving at him from down the hall. Taemin smiled and waved back, giggling as Donghae's boyfriend Eunhyuk snuck up on him and scared him. Laughing, he turned back to see Heechul in the doorway, staring at him. “I didn't know you were here, hyung,” Taemin lied.

“When did you get here?” Heechul asked.

Taemin raised his eyebrows. “Just now. Why?”

“How much did you hear?”

“Can I come in my room please?”

Heechul's eyes widened a little, but he moved aside to let Taemin in. Taemin said hello to the others and moved over to his desk. No one spoke, but Taemin could feel them watching as he emptied his back pack. He sat down without looking at anyone and began to study. He didn't really need to- he had gotten a lot finished working with Jonghyun- but he didn't wait to face the occupants in his room.

“Where were you?” Heechul asked.

“Studying with Jonghyun.”

“Didn't he used to bully you?” Key asked, surprised.

“Actually, it was Minho, and he's been expelled.” Taemin smiled. “I think Jonghyun likes me.”

“Do you think that's smart?” Seunghyun demanded.

“Yes.”

 

 

The second curfew warning bell rang out, alerting students that they had one minute to return to their rooms. There was a sigh, but Taemin didn't turn around.

“We'll see you guys tomorrow,” Key said. The door closed, but still Taemin didn't move.

“I'm sorry you had to find me and Sohee,” Seunghyun finally said.

Taemin shrugged. “Whatever. But a little warning next time would be nice next time.”

“There definitely won't be a next time,” Seunghyun chuckled. “Sohee is a mistake.”

“How many times have you made it?”

“Enough times to know better.”

Taemin didn't answer, just pulled out a highlighter and began highlighting random sentences in his book. He forced himself to concentrate.

Seunghyun walked over to him. “Thanks for the bracelet, Tae,” he smiled. “I love it. I bet it brings me good luck and fortune.”

Taemin looked up then. The senior stood next to him, hands in his pockets. He wore Taemin's bracelet on his left wrist. Taemin allowed himself a small smile at the sight of it.

Seunghyun smiled back. “I wish we could have had breakfast together this morning.”

Taemin came crashing back to earth. “You looked busy.”

“I'm so, so sorr-”

“It's fine, hyung,” Taemin interrupted. “It's none of my business. It's not like I'm your boyfriend.” He said the last part softly, turning back to his homework, and his back on Seunghyun.

 

 

 

 

Taemin began spending more time with Jonghyun, much to Seunghyun's chagrin. His eyes followed jealously as they sat together in the dining hall. Taemin had never seemed to be at such ease in Seunghyun's presence. And he was always smiling now, which Seunghyun supposed was a good thing. Jonghyun was always so attentive to Taemin, hanging onto his every word. He had a guitar, and even played for Taemin.

 

 

But the hardest thing was what happened one night when Seunghyun went looking for Taemin before curfew. They had been outside with other students, but a newly arrived snowfall was driving them indoors. Taemin lagged behind wit Jonghyun. Before they reached the doors, Jonghyun stopped and turned to Taemin. Seunghyun's heart began to pound as he watched Jonghyun cup Taemin's face.

 

 

His stomach rolled at Taemin's easy smile.

 

 

He turned away before he could see them kissing under the newly falling snow.