Party

Prep

“Seunghyun?” Taemin called, pushing his way into their room.

 

“Ah, Taemin,” Seunghyun emerged from the bathroom. He was clad in only a pair of black pajama bottoms and was towel drying his hair. “How was your day?”

 

Taemin blushed and set his backpack onto Seunghyun's bed. “I have something for you.”

 

Seunghyun perked up. “Really?” he asked excitedly, sitting down.

 

Taemin reached into his backpack and pulled out a small handful of notes. “A couple of people stopped me on my way back from class.”

 

Seunghyun took the notes with a look of dismay. “A couple?” he replied, fanning out over half a dozen.

 

Taemin shrugged. He pulled a yellow envelope out of the pile. It was covered in stickers and cutesy drawings. “Don't pick her. She was a little mean, as if she couldn't believe I would dare room with you. Probably didn't trust me to bring this back to you.”

 

Seunghyun rolled his eyes. “She must be an upperclassman. Every semester one group from each camps will go to the other one for a class and lunch.”

 

Taemin pulled out a batter note with shaky handwriting. “Pick this one. He looks intimidating, but was actually very shy and sweet.”

 

 

 

A knock at the door brought in Heechul.

 

“What are you up to?” He asked.

 

Seunghyun got a bunch of love notes,” Taemin replied. “I'm helping him whittle them down.”

 

“They're a little late this year. It's September. Seunghyun's fans have usually started long before now. I do hope you aren't losing your touch, Seunghyun.”

 

Taemin giggled, and Heechul buried his face in Taemin's hair, smirking at the way Seunghyun was now scowling.

 

 

“What are you even doing here?” Seunghyun demanded.

 

“Ren and I are having a party tonight. You both have to be there.”

 

“Even me?” Taemin asked softly.

 

Especially you,” Heechul replied. “I have to show you off!” He winked at Seunghyun before walking out.

 

Taemin looked baffled, and Seunghyun chuckled.

 

“It's because you're so cute,” he said, nudging Taemin with his foot. “I won't let him embarrass you.”

 

Taemin could only blush.

 

 

 

Another knock heralded Niel and Minsoo.

 

“What are you guys doing?” Niel asked, sitting next to Taemin.

 

“Sorting Seunghyun's love letters.”

 

“Starting a little late this year, aren't they?” Minsoo stretched out next to them, head in Niel's lap. “Are you losing your touch?”

 

Seunghyun scowled and hit Minsoo with his pillow. Minsoo grinned and put the pillow under his head.

 

“Heechul said the exact same thing,” Taemin giggled.

 

“I take it you guys are going to the party then,” Minsoo replied.

 

“I can't wait,” said Niel. “Our first party away from home. No worries about our shenanigans getting back to my parents.”

 

Taemin snorted.

 

“I heard Minho's sneaking in alcohol,” Minsoo smirked.

 

Taemin bit his lip.

 

 

 

“You don't have to drink,” Seunghyun said softly, rubbing Taemin's foot. “Jinki doesn't. His parents were hit by a drunk driver. They both survived, but he swore he'd never drink.”

 

“But what if we get caught and we're all tossed out?” Taemin wrung his hands. The last thing he wanted was to be tossed from this school he loved and friends he'd made to go back to his father.

 

“That won't happen,” Minsoo said confidently. “They allow us parties once in a while as long as they don't get too rowdy.”

 

Taemin looked unconvinced, and Seunghyun pulled him into his lap.

 

“Nothing's going to happen,” Seunghyun reassured, rubbing Taemin's arms. “We'll leave if things get out of hands. And if we get caught we'll tell them you weren't drinking.” He kissed Taemin's temple. “I won't let anything bad happen to you.”

 

Taemin closed his eyes and allowed himself to snuggle into his roommate's embrace.

 

 

 


Taemin and Seunghyun attended the party with Niel and Minsoo. Taemin couldn't imagine so many people squeezed into his own room. Niel and Minsoo went off to see some of Minsoo's other friends. Taemin stuck close to Seunghyun's side, which left Seunghyun with a warm feeling that Taemin trusted him enough to protect him. Seunghyun settled them with Jinki, and Taemin relaxed not too long after. Jinki was mellow and friendly, teasing everyone from Seunghyun to his own roommate Key.

 

“Don't ever let Key talk you into shopping,” Jinki warned. “Not only is no shopping done for you, but you're turned into his own personal pack mule.”

 

“Yah!” Key frowned, plopping into Jinki's lap. “Is that any way to speak to your boyfriend?”

 

Jinki wrapped his arms around Key's waist. “I'll be cleaning up your vomit later, so yes.”

 

Taemin covered his mouth as he laughed at Key's pout.

 

“See if I your later,” Key grumbled.

 

Jinki just grinned. “You'll be so wasted you won't even be able to find it.”

 

Taemin laughed so hard he had to bury his face in Seunghyun's arm.

 

“Jinki! They're laughing at me!” Key whined, smooshing his face into his boyfriend's neck.

 

They all laughed then.

 

 

 

The party continued in the same vein for a couple more hours. Niel and Minsoo made their way over and soon Taemin found himself tangled up with the two plus Seunghyun. At some point, Taemin ended in Seunghyun's lap, the older boy's arms wrapped around him and nose nuzzled in Taemin's hair. Minsoo winked at Taemin's blushing face, but didn't comment.

 

 

 

It was when Taemin made his way to the bathroom that he noticed two other boys staring at him. One was tall, with soft brown curls and large, round brown eyes. The shorter boy looked a little like a dinosaur (which made Taemin snicker to himself) with a black faux hawk. Taemin didn't think anything of it until he came out of the bathroom and found them waiting for him.

 

“Hey beautiful,” the taller one murmured. He pulled Taemin into a corner. “You're Seunghyun's roommate, right?”

 

Taemin nodded. “I'm Taemin.”

 

The boy grinned wolfishly. “Well, Taemin. I'm Minho, and this is Jonghyun. What do you say to a drink with us?”

 

Taemin shook his head. “I- I'm good, th- thanks,” he stammered. He moved forward, but Minho placed a large hand on Taemin's chest and shoved him back into the wall.

 

“Come on, Minho. Leave the kid alone,” Jonghyun said roughly, grabbing Minho's arm.

 

 

 

“ you,” Minho spat, shoving Jonghyun's arm off him. He turned a feral grin on Taemin. “I just wanna play with our new friend, that's all.”

 

Taemin had pressed himself as close to the wall as he could. His eyes were squeezed shut and he was trembling.

 

“Everything okay over here?”

 

Taemin's eyes snapped open at Seunghyun's voice and he smiled in relief.

 

“Wanna go for a walk, Tae?” Seunghyun asked. “I'm feeling a little claustrophobic.”

 

Taemin nodded vigorously and slid past Minho and Jonghyun, who had moved back at Seunghyun's presence.

 

Offering one final glare, Seunghyun slung an arm around Taemin's neck and guided him from the room.

 

 

 


The dormitory doors were usually locked at nine o'clock every night, but Seunghyun propped one open while he and Taemin stepped outside for fresh air.

 

“Are you feeling better?” Taemin asked.

 

“I should be asking you that,” Seunghyun replied.

 

“But you said you were feeling claustrophobic.”

 

“I said that to get you away from them.”

 

Taemin just nodded and took a deep breath of the cool night air.

 

“I'm sorry,” Seunghyun said softly after a few moments. “I should have kept a better eye on you.”

 

“You did, though,” Taemin insisted. “You couldn't have known they were going to corner me.”

 

“Those bastards,” Seunghyun swore.

 

“Actually, I think Jonghyun likes me. He was trying to get Minho to back off.”

"Yeah, well, I don't approve," Seunghyun grumbled.

Taemin smiled brightly and wrapped his arms around Seunghyun's waist.

 

 


The next morning, Taemin steamed a spot on his window and drew a little heart.

 

“A heart, Taeminnie?” came a voice from behind, startling him. “Are you in love?”

 

“How's your hangover, Key?” Taemin asked instead.

 

“Non-existent,” Key said happily.

 

“That's because Jinki takes such good care of you,” Seunghyun said, coming into the room with breakfast.

 

“Seunghyun! Taemin drew a heart on his window! Your baby's in love!”

 

Taemin blushed bright red as Seunghyun caught his eye.

 

“No teasing or you don't get breakfast,” Seunghyun answered.

 

Key pouted as everyone laughed at him.