The Ring

Buying A Baby
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Just a plain, simple band." Dara said.

Elevator music played in the background as Dara stood on the thick dark carpet of the jewelry store. The man in a suit, with slicked back hair and a plastic smile stood behind the glass jewelry cases waiting for the slightest indication as to what might interest them.

"What kind of ring did you have with Jaejoong?" Jiyong offered.

Dara looked up from the case.

"Oh, it was gorgeous. But like him-it didn't last."

"And here I thought diamonds were forever."

Dara shook her head.

"Not if you pawn them. I needed the money for clothes and healthy food for Sanghyun. Jaejoong was in-between jobs again."

Jiyong cocked an eyebrow "Was that the first sign of trouble in your marriage?"

"Hardly."

"I'm sure the lady deserves a very nice ring after such a bad experience."

The salesman said with a slight accent.

Dara hardly expected Jiyong to use any more money than he had to in the next nine months. He wouldn't fall for such obvious cheap sales tactics.

"What did it look like?" Jiyong bent over the glass countertop, looking at the sparkling gems inside. The bright lights shooting into the jewelry case highlighted the gold in Jiyong's eyes.

"Nearly a carat, marquis, on a gold band."

"Sounds pretty."

"It was, but we put it on my credit, I'm still paying for it."

Jiyong shook his head. "Would you like something like that…if…"

Dara glanced at him.

"If you could afford it?"

After giving her hundred million won, Jiyong was sure to need to watch his funds.

The salesman wasted no time; he whipped out a small clipboard and paper with a pen.

"No need for cash, sir. Just a bit of information and no money down, you can finance the whole thing."

"Good news sweetheart." Jiyong grinned.

"Let's try this one."

Dara bent to look where he was pointing. It was a large pear shaped diamond; the accompanying wedding band had diamonds inlayed all across the band. The salesman sprang into action. He took the key from the ring on his belt and unlocked the case.

"Don't you think that's a bit expensive, babe?"

"Nothing's too expensive for the woman who'd going to be my wife." Jiyong grinned back.

"Very good choice sir. The diamond is obvious high quality, just look at the clarity." The man said, his eyes starting to gleam as he took the small velvet box, removed the ring and handed it to Dara.

She slipped the ring on her finger. Oh was it lovely. It glittered rainbows at her with every tip of her hand. It was the most beautiful ring she had ever seen, much less worn on her hand.

"How much?" She whispered, despite how awestruck she was.

"Don't worry about the price, leave that to me." Jiyong said softly, leaning slightly over her shoulder to look at the ring glittering on her finger.

He sure was playing part of devoted fiancé well. But why bother putting on such an act for a salesman they would never see again. The phone rang and the salesman excused himself.

"What kind of game are you playing?" She whispered under her breath.

"I thought we were looking for a plain band. Are you trying to disappoint me by waving this in my face first?"

Jiyong's smile was dazzling as the ring on her finger.

"I'm just looking for some leverage that I am."

"Leverage for what?" She asked, having no idea what he was talking about.

"I want to be part of the birth."

Dara blinked. "No. I already told you that."

She wiggled the ring off and set it back on the counter.

"Ah but no is so final."

"And it's not your favorite word, I know…but that's my answer."

Jiyong turned to the small tray of rings and picked up a simple, plain, inexpensive gold band in one hand and the pear shaped diamond in the other. He turned back to Dara and moved his hands like a scale.

"He comes to the birth." He said as he raised the beautiful glittering ring.

"Or he doesn't." He raised the plain band and dropped the other.

"It's not a difficult decision Dara." He said with a grin.

Dara set her hands on her hips.

"I can't believe you. Here I was starting to think you were a pretty decent guy, and here you are tying to buy your way into my delivery room."

"Don't say it like that; you're making me sound like some kind of ert. I just want to be there when my child is born, what's wrong with that?"

The salesman cleared his throat, having returned from his phone call. Embarrassed Dara turned to the salesman as Jiyong set the rings on the counter in front of her. The diamond was just beautiful and tempting. But she wasn't about to let Jiyong in the delivery room, she already felt as if she had sold her soul. She pointed to the plain band and the salesman popped it back in the box and wrapped it up.

"He doesn't go to the delivery."

She said before turning and walking out of the shop to the car.

 

"I don't understand how offering to buy you a five hundred and eighty-six thousand won ring to allow me to come to the birth would make you so angry." Jiyong said as he drove Dara home.

Dara glared out the passenger window.

"There are some things money can't buy, have you ever heard of that?"

Jiyong scowled. "I was just trying to offer you a reasonable trade. If you don't want to see it like that then enjoy your gold band."

"Don't worry, I will." Dara sniffed.

"Fine."

They drove in silence down the tree lined streets until they reached Dara's house. Dara got out of the car without saying goodbye and slammed the door shut. She marched behind Jiyong's car and up the steps to her house. Jiyong watched her as she dug around in her purse and then in her pockets. Then after a moment more she turned back around and walked towards him. Jiyong's lips twitched upward at the sheepish look on her face.

"I'm locked out." She confessed into his open window.

"And the key that was under the mat?" Jiyong's smile was innocent.

"Is in the pocket of the pants I wore the other day."

"Because…"

"Because I was trying to keep you out. You know all this; stop trying to rub it in."

"You're trying to keep me out because I stocked your fridge, that you are."

He shook his head.

"You make a lot of sense."

He said as he jammed his car into park and shut it off. Jiyong climbed out of his car and sighed softly to himself.

"Should we try crawling through a window?"

Dara thought about it for a moment.

"No, these are the old thick glass with the latches on the top; I'm pretty good at keeping them locked because I live alone."

"Back door?"

"Locked."

"You make the rounds to make sure you're locked up tight and yet you keep a key under the mat of your front door? That's about as smart as turning down a five hundred thousand won ring."

"Enough about the ring already. I'm already regretting it without your help."

"Well let that be a lesson to you." He watched with a smile as Dara's eyes flashed.

"I'm pretty sure you'll offer me something else in the next nine months anyway." She said with a sniff as she turned back to the house.

Jiyong moved quickly to keep up with her.

"Well now that I know it's open for a trade, I'm sure I can think of something."

The two argued lightly back and forth as they checked every window and door they could reach, everything was locked tight. Jiyong stood in the overgrown back yard and looked around. The garden had seen far better days. A little love was all it would take to bring it back to its glory. But with a sick brother and med school, He was sure the garden was the last thing on Dara's mind.

"I think your bedroom window would be the easiest to crawl through." He called to Dara.

 "Do you want me to break it?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter