The Break In

Buying A Baby
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter V: The Break In

 

"How did you get in here?" Dara demanded.

Shock had stripped all sleep from her mind.

Jiyong looked a little shamefaced but his smile dimmed only a little.

"You said we should talk today."

"I don't remember inviting you over for breakfast and a certainly didn't ask you to break into my house."

Though Dara had to admit, dressed the way he was… it seemed like he belonged in her old dojo house. Dara ran a hand though her bed wild hair, ignoring the fact that she was standing there barefoot wearing an old, rather prudish hand-me-down nightgown that use to belong to her aunt in front of one of the handsomest men she had ever known. She stomped after him as he vanished back into the kitchen.

"Just because I agreed to have your baby does not mean you get to control my life for nine months. You are wrong Mr. Kwon. What you get is nine months to think about it before the baby shows up. You bought a baby, not months of control over me and my time."

Jiyong turned, his arms tucked into his pocket. "Is that your last word on the matter?"

Dara struggled not to stomp around like a child. "Yes it is."

"There went the exercise clause." He muttered.

"What was that?" Dara nearly shrieked.

But Jiyong only chuckled as he turned back to the stove and the food that was sizzling there. Dara followed him, curious to see what he was cooking. It was fish and miso soup. As well as rice that was already finished and cooling down and pickled vegetables. At the moment he was working on an omelet. Dara hadn't gone shopping in over two weeks; he must have brought his own groceries.

"Don't get so worked up Dara I knew you got an early start in the morning and I was afraid I would miss you if I didn't get here early enough. I knocked at the door and rang the doorbell but you didn't seem to wake up. So I checked under the mat and found a key there." He glanced at her from the corner of his eyes.

"You really should keep it somewhere else, that you should."

"The burglar justifies breaking and entering." Dara muttered.

"Surly the average burglar doesn't cook you breakfast. It's a sign that I come in peace." Jiyong glanced around.

"I didn't snoop much, but you have a beautiful traditional home."

Even if it was sparsely furnished.

Dara ignored him as she rubbed her forehead.

"I would much rather sleep than eat. You robbed me of half an hour of unconsciousness."

Though, what he was making sure did smell good. When was the last time she had a breakfast that didn't come out of a box? When CL cooked it for her.

Jiyong's smile grew slightly crooked. "Don't worry. I came up with a schedule for you that allows time for daily naps."

Dara clenched her teeth together.

"Did I hear that right? Gezz what planet did you from that you can-"

Jiyong held up his hands, interrupting her.

"I'm not trying to control your life, just want to be helpful is all. I notice you don't give your body a chance to recover from your hectic schedule." He said as he flipped the omelet.

"Whatever, you're just protecting your investment."

Not because he really cared for her.

"Maybe. I've done a lot of research and most all the doctor's agree that it's important for a pregnant woman to get plenty of sleep, and exercise as well as healthy food."

He paused, glancing back at her as he took the omelet from the pan, waiting for her reaction.

"That's old news, what young woman doesn't already know that? But you're forgetting something. I'm in med school and finals are coming up my brother is in the hospital fighting for his life. The last thing I have the time for is a nap."

She watched as Jiyong started a second omelet. As it cooked he took a plate and set the first rolled omelet on it, added the fish, vegetables and rice balls that he created with what looked like a few flicks of the wrist. Dara was amazed. Who would have thought that someone like Kwon Jiyong could cook so well? Dara's meals were the stuff of horror stories. The plate was packed with food but he made room for the second omelet that was just about done. Dara glanced at the food still on the stove.

"Having friends over? There's enough food here for four people." Dara asked as she made her way to the table.

"A pregnant woman is supposed to have at least four servings of-"

Dara held up her hand, interrupting him. "Stop it, stop. I'm not pregnant yet."

"You need to build up your strength. You've been running on empty for too long and it shows." Jiyong's eyes flittered down over her nightgown all the way to her bare toes.

"Shouldn't you get dressed?"

Dara scoffed and tossed her head. "Says the man who broke into my house at the most ungodly hour. Expect me to be showered and primped and ready to go at the crack of dawn? Or does seeing a woman in her nightgown make you uncomfortable?"

"Only when it's incredibility alluring like the one you have on now."

Jiyong replied, but he couldn't hold a straight face and quickly turned back to the stove to smother his chuckles.

Dara had to laugh with him.

"Okay, so I'm not exactly what they would put in a lingerie window front."

"Hey I was making fun of the night gown that I was. Not what was underneath." Jiyong snapped his mouth shut.

Dara wondered if he meant her figure. Not that it mattered much anyway. She had the figure of a plank of wood. Whatever curves she had left would soon be distorted by pregnancy. She would have Jiyong's baby and hand it over and she would be left with the physical and emotional wreckage.

"I want to ask you something." Jiyong cleared his throat as he started loading up a second plate.

"The lab results came back normal, I'm fine."

Jiyong shot her a look. "That's great, but what I have to ask is a bit more personal."

Dara snorted as she poured herself a glass of fresh orange juice that was waiting for her at the table and collapsed in the chair.

"What could a novel-sized questionnaire like yours could have missed?"

"I'd like a better understanding of your love life." He said, clearing his throat again as he set the giant plate of food in front of her.

Dara cocked an eyebrow. "Love life? Doesn't my nightgown say it all? Or rather scream it?"

Jiyong smiled, and said in a low voice.

"A man has a great imagination and any man can easily picture what's under that schoolmarm nightgown you have on. All you need is a few more pounds to have such a beautiful figure, that you do."

Dara felt her cheeks grow hot and, fortunately, Jiyong seemed to be just as embarrassed by what he said as she was. His own face turned a shade of red as he turned back to finish working on his own plate. He kept his gaze on his food as he sat down across from her and started eating. Dara took a taste of her omelet and found it light and fluffy and delicious.

"Alright, ask me anything you want to know. I mean, you know about that guy from the club and it can't get any worse than that."

Jiyong took a drink of orange juice before looking Dara in the face again.

"Is there anyone in your life right now? A boyfriend or someone who will object to what we plan on doing?"

That was easy. "No."

Jiyong sat back, eyebrows raised. "No crushes? You're not carrying a torch for someone?"

"You mean Jaejoong? Do you think I still have feelings for him?" Not like he care much about her.

"From what I gathered he was a pretty popular man. Well liked in college and all. There had to be some reason you fell in love with him."

"I fell in love with his boyish charm, good looks and optimism. It turned out that was all he really was, and I wanted more depth and character. I grew disenchanted before he even left me. Besides, I was fresh out of high school, seventeen and stupid." She took a bite of fish.

"I'm not holding a torch for anyone." She said around her food.

"There's no one else? I won't be stepping on anyone's toes or messing up a relationship that important to you?"

"I'm not in any relationships and I don't plan on being in one in the foreseeable future." Dara snapped.

If she was, she wouldn't have answered his secret ad for a baby in the first place.

"Because of what your ex did?" He asked in a soft voice.

"Isn't that reason enough?"

To Dara's surprise as she sat back in her chair, she had finished most of the food on her plate. Her shrunken stomach was pleasantly stuffed and she was already feeling better than she had in weeks.

"You don't seem the type to judge all by what Jaejoong did to you, Dara."

"I'm not judging, I just have a lot on my plate right now. I mean, where would I meet someone? In the oncology department? Sanghyun's doctors are all married and they are all twenty to thirty years older than me and they are the only men I ever really talk to".

"What about on campus? Wouldn't life be easier if you had someone to come home to?" He could see from the pain in her eyes that his question was stupidly obvious.

"Not if I was pregnant with your child. That could make things a bit awkward don't you think?" She finished the last of her juice.

"Especially if you plan on breaking into my home on a regular basis. What would I tell my boyfriend? 'Oh, don't mind him, he's just here to make sure I'm eating my daily allowances." Dara glanced at the clock on the stove.

"I've got to get into the shower."

She said, jumping up from the table.

"I know we haven't talked about everything, but I have a lab today and I want to stop by the hospital before school. Just pile the dishes in the sink and I'll do them later as my thank you for this party."

She turned to dash down the hall.

"Wait!" Jiyong jumped from the table and grabbed her by the wrist.

Dara turned around, he had amazing speed.

"I'm actually going somewhere with all this."

He suddenly looked very uncomfortable and his eyes nervously darted to look out the window for a moment before returning to her face.

"I want to give you the money right up front for Sanghyun."

"That's the only way I will agree to carry your baby." She said, still in mid-step to head down the hallway.

"I know, but it's foolish of me to take that risk. What if-"

He sighed, letting go of her wrist to run his hand through his hair.

"What if something goes wrong?"

"You don't think I'll go through with this if Sanghyun dies."

She couldn't hold back her pain at the thought of her baby brother dying. Jiyong was just one more person without faith in him, while she was the only one hoping for a miracle.

"There are other things that could go wrong."

He said in a gentle tone, his face was gentle as well. The soft look in his eyes scared Dara. She had to have that money and she had to have it soon.

"What if I give my word?" S

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter