The Interview

Buying A Baby
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter I: The Interview

 

"So is she going to be the one?"

Jiyong glanced up from the glossy photo he took from the manila envelope. His friend Top gazed over his shoulder at the picture of Sandara Park. Jiyong had looked at the picture again and again. He wasn't sure if it was her silky brown hair, or her bright light brown eyes or her mysterious smile that brought him back to her photo countless times since it came in the mail two days ago.

‘Was she the one?’ Jiyong hoped so. The sooner he got this over with the sooner he could go back to the man he used to be. So he hoped. His life would be changed, but anything from the way his life was now would be better. All the women were starting to look good at this point. The only thing that separated them was their background checks. That was when those that looked good become rejected.

Tall and lean, with spiked platinum hair, Top shoved his hands deep in his pockets as he walked to the wall of windows and looked down at the bustling streets of Seoul below them.

"So when are you going to meet her?"

"We have an appointment in fifteen minutes." Jiyong muttered after glancing at his watch. He cleared his desk of papers and tried to look busy. He hoped that Top got the message and excused himself; these interviews were already hard without an audience.

"How did you get the word out anyway? I'm sure you didn't put an ad in the paper."

‘Widower, looking for single woman to sell her baby’.

"A few discreet friends are spreading the word around for me, that's all."

"Nice to have strings to pull and small favors to ask." The taller man looked around Jiyong's office.

"It looks like a toy store in here." Top nudged a life sized teddy bear with his foot and it toppled over next to a few boxes of chocolates.

"How many have you interviewed already?"

"I wasn't really counting. Why?"

"Because I have a feeling that you're making a mistake."

Jiyong snorted softly to himself. The mistake happened eighteen months ago when a drunk driver ran a red light and took away his life. But he wasn't going to start thinking about that right now. Ironic because Taeyeon was all Jiyong had ever thought about in these past months. Sometimes the memories would swirl in his head so much he would lose track of time, or where he was…lost in the scent of her perfume or the feel of her silky black hair on his cheek.

The memories reminded Jiyong of the heaven she showed him during their short marriage, and introduced to him the concept of Hell.

"So?" Jiyong rubbed at his temple.

"So haven't you learned anything from all of this?" Top waved a hand at all the gifts sitting in the corner of his office.

"I know that it's not as easy as one would think. It's hard to pick one that's just right. And I never dreamed that women could and would be so aggressive, that I did not."

"Dangle over one hundred million won in front of anyone and you're going to see their bad side sooner or later." He scratched the back of his head.

"You could give it some time. Taeyeon hasn't been gone long; you could fall in love again."

Jiyong felt the muscle in his jaw twitch. How many times were people going to say those empty words to him? Couldn't anyone understand that he didn't want to fall in love again? He wanted Taeyeon and their unborn child back.

"I've noted your objections" Jiyong growled deep in his throat.

"Anything else?" Jiyong tried hard to swallow back the sudden pain and the urge to be violent.

"No, I'm leaving." Top said after watching him a moment more.

"I just wish you would think about it. This has trouble all over it man."

"You seemed to like trouble." Jiyong threw over his shoulder.

 

"Mr. Kwon?"

A soft voice said at his office door. He turned to see the woman in the picture standing at his doorway; her hands nervously twisted a large leather messenger bag.

"I know I'm a little early, something had come up and I can't stay long. I tried to call but all I got was a recording. I hope that's alright." Light brown eyes darted about, taking the office in.

"That's fine," Jiyong hoped his smile was welcoming.

"My secretary is out for the day. You must be Ms. Park." Jiyong stood up from his desk.

"Yes." She stepped further into his office.

Jiyong expected her to say. 'Please, call me Dara.' But she didn't. Calling her Ms. Park was entirely too formal for what they were about to discuss.

But that was just fine with him.

The more professional they kept it the easier it would be for both of them.

"This is my partner Choi Top."

He indicated with his hand to Top who stood to the side. Top's face was bright; he was such an open book sometimes. The taller man strode over to the woman and shook her hand enthusiastically.

Jiyong noticed that she wasn't wearing any fingernail polish or wore any jewelry. A strange and small detail that already set her apart from all the other applicants.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Ms. Park." Top said.

Dara smiled back hesitantly before glancing over at Jiyong and then taking in the sight of stuffed animals, balloons and boxes of candy. Décor that didn't match the ink paintings, swords and samurai armor that he had decorating his office.

"Top here was just leaving." Jiyong walked from around his desk and shot Top a meaningful look.

Top made a face at Jiyong while the woman had her head turned away. But then the handsome man managed to maneuver his way out of his office.

Jiyong followed and shut the door behind his partner to insure their privacy.

"Please have a seat. Can I get you something to drink? Tea? Coffee?"

From the way he could see her hands shaking, it looked like she could use something warm in her stomach. In fact she looked as if she needed something more than tea, such as a few weeks’ worth of meals and someone to make sure she ate them. The woman in the photo had laughter in her eyes and her porcelain skin glowed with youth.

But Ms. Park in the flesh looked tired and strained.

Dark circles underscored her large light brown eyes and her cheeks held a hint of hollowness. And even with the classy sheath-like dress and jacket she wore, Jiyong could tell she was far too thin.

What happened to the young, happy looking woman in the picture? Had she become ill?

"I don't really have time for coffee or tea. Thank you though."

She hovered around the leather chair, as if thinking of taking a seat. But it seemed she was in a hurry because she decided against it. Her gaze met his from across the desk and the laughing eyes in the picture became direct and business like, as if she were one of his associates and were far more piercing.

"Actually, I'm not really sure I should be here or if this is what I want."

Jiyong was taken about by her honesty. "Why did you come then?"

"Why would anyone come?" The woman shot back with a slight shrug.

"You need the money."

She nodded.

"For what?"

"Does that really matter?" Her lips twitched in a faint smile.

"Is it important for you to know how I'm going to spend the money?"

Jiyong walked around his desk and on the corner of it. He steepling his hands as if thinking.

"One Hundred million won is a lot of money."

Ms. Park nodded. "No one knows that better than me, Mr. Kwon. I'll be honest with you. I need to raise ninety million, eight hundred thousand, and five hundred won."

The exact figure of money surprised Jiyong, and she seemed to expect that.

"For what?" He asked again.

Ms. Park smoothed her already perfect dress. "That's my business."

Jiyong lifted an eyebrow in surprise. This woman certainly wasn't like the others he had interviewed. Most of the women gladly gushed over the new house or car they would buy with the money. One woman even tri

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter