CHAPTER 1

FIRST IMPRESSIONS adapted from the novel PRIDE AND PREJUDICE by JANE AUSTEN

“Yoona unni, we have to go now, we’re already late” screamed minah from her own room. She is still busy adjusting her own hanbook.

“arassoyo!!!” answered yoona louder. She cannot put her flower pin hair nicely without any help and now asking for minah’s seems to be impossible.

The other family members have already gone comfortably with their car. She and minah have to take a taxi or perhaps a bus to the wedding ceremony venue of their close relative.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Yoona and minah are quite a sight among the busy Seoul city. Not only because they are both beautiful ladies that can turn heads, but to see these girls running in their handbooks in such a bright day is quite a rare thing.

“If only I skip my school today, I don’t have to go like this” mina cannot help but whining.

“ya, if you want father to yell at you”

As they stop in front of a bus, Mina frowns and cries

“yoona unni, please don’t tell me that we’ll go on this bus. It will be so embarrassing. LOOK AT US”

“But you see, we can hardly find any taxi, so I guess we have to take the bus. We’re already late and to wait for long will not do”

Soon, they hop in and find themselves a seat. People look at them weirdly and they cannot do anything but ignore them.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

They arrived to the venue to find the place is already very quiet outside which means everyone is already gathering inside and the ceremony is proceeding.

“ottokeyo, unni. Should we just come in? It will be very embarrassing though. Should we wait here?” asked minah.

“No, mother will be angry if we do not get in. you know how particular she is about us attending this wedding?”

Flashback

“Tomorrow will be such a great day. It will be a good chance to introduce our girls to better society” said Mrs. Jung very enthusiastically.

“How is that matters to our children my dear? It’s your nephew’s wedding. What they have to do with society if at all?”Again, Mr. Jung can only tease his wife.

“Do not tell me that you are clueless about my intention. My nephew is married well with a daughter of a very rich businessman and there will be a lot of guests from his wife’s friends and relatives. They must be from respectable wealthy families and considering our girls are extraordinarily beautiful, I am very sure there will be some of the men who will get attracted by them. Who knows if we are lucky enough to get a rich son in laws, maybe one or two?”giggles her happily.

While minah and boomi seem to have no interest about what her mother said and are busy with their own whispering about a certain boy at school,

Yoona, so yeon and Mr. Jung cannot help but rolling their eyes while soo jin only has her eyes and attention on her book.

Of course they know their mother well and they have seen and heard she talks like this a million time. It’s very embarrassing if other people should listen to what she says but to them, they can only smile to it.

“And especially So Yeon, you!”Adds her.

“What’s with me omoni?”asked her calmly.

“Since you are the prettiest, I ride my expectation highly from you. You are always admired whenever you go. My only wish is you can meet your dream man soon and get married. Isn’t that sounds?”

“But your dream man have to be rich and from respectable family my dear, unless your mother will not let you marry him” teases Mr. Jung again.

Listening to the silly propositions of her mother and the way her father jokingly reacts to them make yoona raises her eyebrows most of the times or just smile and glance at her very dear sister.

There seems to be no single sane person in the house. Though she loves every one of them she cannot deny that she often finds some of them can be very silly.

“Tomorrow, you all have to wear your best hanbooks and make yourself pretty and presentable and all of you must come or I will be very angry. I AM SERIOUS”

“But mother, I have an exam tomorrow morning and minah has absent the day before so she should go to school” asked yoona trying to escape by providing an excuse. She is so reluctant to come as she hates her mother idea to go.

It has something to do with matrimony as she plans to expose them to the world in order to let them get potential husbands.

Mrs. Jung gets hyper because she upsets with this new found excuse. She tries hard to find solution and can only come out with the idea to let them go after they finish their schedule.

And now, here they are, in front of the reception hall door hesitating whether to get in or not.

Yoona is about to open the door when suddenly she sees a big fine hand pushing the door and surprises her and minah.

She looks to her side and sees a beautiful man in black suit, tie and white shirt with one of his hand inside his pocket. He looks so disturbed and his mourning face really does not suit the white veil occasion.

They look at him in awe. He is like a charismatic character coming out from a manga.

On the other hand, he does not bother to look at her and her sister at all and continues walking about the room where every eyes turn to look at their direction.

Yoona and minah can do nothing but tail behind him feeling so embarrassed and sorry to the bride and the groom for the distraction they create.

Yoona can hear people whispering. Girls are gushing about the tall handsome man and the boys are admiring the fair girls.

Suddenly, the man stops when he finds his seat. Yoona slightly bumps her body to his. He turns a bit to look at his spoil suit and rub it like he gets dirt or something. yoona feels quite insulted but then continue walking timidly.

He sits among his friends, two women and a man.

“Who are they?”Asked the man while the two women are listening attentively as they are curious themselves.

“who?”asked him back cluelessly.

“Those girls that come in with you?”

“I don’t know” answered him short. Uninterested.

Now mina and she are in awkward position as they cannot find their family. Until they see So Yeon stands up and waves at them. Several eyes cannot escape another ethereal beauty in the room. People wonder to see this set of stunning girls.

And one particular pair of eyes cannot help but is mesmerized to see the beauty of the eldest as he keeps looking at her once he finds out about her existence there.

So yeon has no idea about this admirer until she accidentally meets his eyes from afar and he shoots her his most charming smile giving her blushes on both cheeks.

Yoona and minah hurrily take their seats and hide their face trying to calm themselves as they feel so bashful and they are sweating a lot.

“Look at you two? So messy, I told you to dress prettily and now, both of you are drenched in sweat, oh, how embarrassing. I should not hope anyone will be interested in you two anymore” Mrs. Jung only nags at them instead of feeling happy now that they finally come as she requested.

“Mother, you have no idea of our suffering in order to get here”

Mina feels so upset. She herself does not want to be seen in such condition especially among these people. Yoona can only shrugs her shoulders and smiles bitterly at So Yeon and her father.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

The ceremony is ended. And people are served with delicacies to enjoy. Everyone moves to pick some foods to their plate and enjoy them with some chit chatting.

Yoona takes this opportunity to go to the toilet and fixes herself before she should be introduced to other guests there.

She is surprised to see herself in the mirror and pouts as she finds out what her mother said is completely right. She indeed looks so awfully messy. Her hair pin is dropping near her ear and her hair is flying everywhere.

Then suddenly she remembers the beautiful guy who treats her like dirt before.

“Maybe I deserve that kind of reaction“mutters her to herself while wiping her forehead.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

She comes back to join her family looking fresher and more radiant.

There, they are joined by her mother’s nephew who offers to introduce them to some of the bride’s relatives and friends that she accepts very enthusiastically.

Mrs. Jung is busy asking him about who is who every time she finds some faces that catches her eyes.

Later she finds out about a certain Mr. Kim who is her nephew’s wife’s friend and the fact that he is a very rich man and so young a person who runs his father business and will inherit a great amount of money and properties.

He becomes acquainted with most of the people in the room for he is very friendly and amiable. Mrs. Jung likes his look and is eager to know him.

“Is he married? There are two women with him?”

“No, they are his sisters. He is very much single though is very popular among girls”

“Hmm, good then” mutters her satisfied.

But then another sight of a more handsome face takes her interest.

“And who is that guy in black suit beside him?”

“He is Mr. Lee Minho, his friend. I do not really know him well but my wife does. He is the son of late Mr. LEE, you know aunt, the owner of the big fashion company”

“Really, He is very handsome and must be very rich?”Asked her eagerly trying to dig as much information as possible.

“There is no questioning on that. His dad company is one of the biggest in the country and he will soon be appointed as the new CEO as he is the sole male inheritor”

Mrs. Jung giggles happily to find this information. She soon comes to her daughters to tell them about her findings and looks so satisfied to reveal all of them and expect they will be as enthusiastic as she does.

“I must confess that Mr. Kim is a potential husband for any of you girls. But Mr. Lee is the handsomest man which makes him a better choice for sure. And if any of you can attach him I must be the happiest mother in the world”

Yoona answered to her mother with a sarcasm remark along with a naughty laugh “yes, the richest one is the handsomest mother”

Yoona glances at Mr. Lee, still with a memory of his disdaining look towards her that does not injure but annoys her a lot.

He finds him rude and very proud. He does not speak to anyone and likes to stand alone enjoying his wine.

Then she turns to her sister to find her blushing.

“What happens? You blush?” asked her with a blooming smile because her sister is acting so weird unlike her usual self.

“Stop it, everyone will hear you” answered her shyly.

“What is it unni? You got to tell me or ill never stop teasing you?” asked her again threatening her sister.

“There is a guy who keeps looking at me. I am feeling so embarrassed”

Yoona looks around to find the guy. And when she sees him she smiles at her sister mischeivously.

“He is very handsome. You know who is he?”

“I find out that he is Mr. Kim sang Yoon from mother”

“He must like you a lot unni. He cannot look at any other direction”

So yeon blushes again.

“You like him?” teases yoona.

“I don’t know about that. BUT I find him very good looking and his smile is very charming but more than that I don’t know yet”

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

It does not take long until So Yeon gets to know Kim Sang Yoon. He approaches her when she went to take some cakes. He introduces himself to her and asks if he can be introduced to her family.

Overall, he is a very amiable and sweet guy and all of her family members find him very agreeable. There is easiness in his manner . Moreover, he likes to spread his smiles which is always nice.

Mother is very satisfied and father seems to like him as well. So Yeon cannot end her series of blushes and is so flattered when he offers her and her family an introduction to his family and friend.

Unlike him, Yoona, finds his sisters are very proud of themselves. They smile forcedly and seem to be insincere in their manner of accepting them. They are both very classy and wear the best clothes. They act elegantly but they appear to be made up or put on.

She likes them less than she does their brother.

And now, the famous Mr. Lee is another disappointing character.

Yoona is sure now that he is the proudest, meanest and coldest person in the world.

He seems to be reluctant to be introduced. He looks so grief as if one of his families is dead. He does not smile nor opens his mouth for one or two words. He only gives his short glances to each one of them and then seems to look displeased then excuses himself.

Kim sang Yoon looks very sorry for his friend cold gesture and tries to fix the situation by asking us some questions cheerfully.

Yoona knows she has not the least intention to know that guy more. She is resolved to dislike him and she should ignore him and she hope not to bump into him ever again.

Even her mother who once pronounced him to be the most handsome man she has ever seen, seems to be ready to take her words back.

“He is not half as good as his friend, Mr. Kim sang Yoon. Oh, I am happy that he seems to like So Yeon a lot”

That day ends with such conclusion but tonight, there will be a party to celebrate the newly married couple that will follow.

And again all the guests are to attend including yoona and all her family.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………