Chapter 8

Do You Believe?

 (Soohyun'sPOV)

I get up and notice two figures in the next room on my left side. Both women I think. One is standing tall over the other, who is pressed up against the corner. A loud smack comes from the room on the right of me. The glass was clear this time, and I could see a large man and Eli?! He was throwing Eli into the wall! I get up and bang on the glass. 
"Hey! Hey!! Leave him alone!"
The man doesn't stop. Eli can't hear me, the glass must be one-sided. Nobody can see me either. I keep pounding on the glass but nothing helps. Soon I smell something chemical. A hissing sound comes from below me and then a rush of white smoke surrounds me. I fall.
_________________________________
(Narrator POV)
He wakes up surrounded by mirrors and a cold cement floor. He watches himself as he struggles to move. Then he sees _____.
  "____? Why are you standing still like that? _____? ____?!" She collapses to the ground. He looks around him but she's nowhere. She reappears in a mirror behind him. A puddle of blood has formed around ____ . He starts to panic. A glass wall stops him from getting to her and he begins to pound on the glass.
 
"____ I'll be there soon! Don't move! I'm coming!" Suddenly a man walks into the room and keeps to the shadows behind ____. He begins to move towards her. 
 
"W-why are you doing this?" She whispers looking at the man. The man laughs cruelly and kicks her.
 
"Hey!!! Stop it! You bastard! ____ hold on!!" The man looks up but his face is dark and hidden. He comes to the glass and holds his face close. He smiles grimly showing all his teeth and slowly, he raises his eyes to meet Soohyun's. The lights flick and the mirror changes to his left.
"This can't be true!! No!! Noooo!!!!!!" Soohyun starts pounding on the glass harder and whaling with each hit. "Get away from her!!! STOP!!" The man smirks at him and walks back to ___'s crippled body. He kneels down and grips her neck, pulling her up onto his knees. "What are you doing?!!! No, stop!!" Cracks have formed in the glass and Soohyun hits harder. The man laughs loudly as if mocking him. ___raises her hand to the man's face.
 
"D-don't do t-this..." His eyes flick for one second but sympathy doesn't stop him...Soohyun cannot stop this man because it was himself. His inner demons finally surfacing, his greatest fears.
 
One more hit and the glass shattered to the ground. Soohyun scrambles to them but the lights flick and everything was gone. 
"Noooooo!" His dream had come true. He couldn't save her, he couldn't even save himself from this maze. He falls to the ground in pain and screams. Hoping one person would hear him, help him. 
 
He didn't know she was still right beside him. Watching as the ghost tortured him till he broke down. Her arms and legs were tied to a chair, with no chance of moving. was gagged. All she had were her tears. "Soohyun please get up...don't let her win." She thought to herself.
 
"______? ______?! Where are you?!" Soohyun heard her voice. It was in the back of his head.
 
"I'm beside you." This time, it wasn't her speaking the words. It was the ghost. She put her hands on his shoulders as she walked around him, touching him slightly. 
 
"How?" Soohyun says stopping her.
 
"They let me go. They're letting us go." She put her hands on his face. _____ was screaming in anger, but her screams were muffled by the fabric keeping her from talking. She struggled and started to panic. 
 
"How will I ever be free?!" She starts thrashing as hard as she can, trying to loosen the ropes. Gun shots go off in another room and muffled yelling follows. The door handle rattles and the large steel door moves slightly enough for a man to get inside. He turns quickly and faces ____. 
 
"Oh my god!" He rushes to her side and he removes her gag. "You really do look alike!" He begins to untie the rest of her limbs from the chair.
 
"W-who are y-you?" She finally speaks. He looks up at her.
 
"I'm A.J." He frees her from her bonds and helps her stand. She had bruises and rope burn all across her body. She was bleeding. None of it mattered, she had to get to Soohyun. 
 
"Please help me save Soohyun." A.J. Puts his arm around _____ helping her to walk. 
 
"I promise that I will end this pain and suffering...I'm the one who awakes her...and by that, it's my fault. I will do everything in my power to save you, Soohyun, and Eli." He checks that the coast is clear before they enter the hallway. Sliding himself through and then pushing the door open a bit wider, ____ squeezes herself through but winces by her skin touching the smooth, cold steel. "Okay, you alright?" A.J. asks. She nods. " okay, let's get Soohyun."
 
They quietly make their way towards the room where Soohyun is. The door was straight ahead. A.J. knew where everything was and she trusted him to help her. 
 
When they got to the end of the hallway, the door slightly opened at his touch. He looked at _____ nervously and let out a shaky breath, and continued to push the door open. They cautiously walked through and came into a room filled with mirrors.
 
"Don't look directly at any mirror, they play with your mind and make you see and believe things that aren't real...hold onto me and look straight at the ground. The mirror on the bottom isn't one to worry about."
 
She grabs the back of his leather jacket and looks down like she was told. The mirror beneath them began to change into a dark and clouded scene. One ____ has seen once before. The cloud subsides and shows a window to the house that is home. She concentrates on the inside of the window and sees figures dancing, looking closer she sees a man that closely resembles Soohyun with a girl. He twirls her around the living room in front of the fireplace. They were wearing old grey and worn clothing. Was this the ghost? The couple looked so happy, they were young and very much in love it seemed. The man leaves to go outside and a scowl finds his face.
 
Is he not happy?
 
He walks towards the river and quickly looks around. _____ is right beside the woman as she walks down the stairs of the porch and hides as she watches her lover sneak off. She follows him towards the river, cautiously hiding. He stops at the river's edge and calls out a woman's name. A woman appears  out of the wilderness and runs up to him. He catches her hands in his and kisses her deeply. The young woman's heart breaks, and she begins to weep quietly. She was so in love with him, they were supposed to be in love together, they were supposed to start a family and grow old together. Her face darkens with anger and she begins to get up and run back towards the house. He notices and screams out for her.
 
"Please! Wait!" 
 
She was inside the house already, and in a fit of rage, began to destroy everything inside. Picture frames smash to the floor, glassware does the same. Nothing is safe from her...not even the locket on her neck. She takes it off and palms it. A present from him. This no longer had meaning to her. He finally gets to the house and sees her chuck the locket into the fireplace. Her small hands were dripping with blood as she tried to pick up the pieces of glass from their wedding photo.  He begins to speak to her but she begins to scream and suddenly he slaps her across the face.
 
"I told you to stop!" This only angers her more and she begins to yell at him again. This time, he grabs her shoulders and push her against the wall, with such a force, that it damaged the wall. He puts his hand around her neck and tightens his grip until she can no longer breathe. 
______ gasps and snaps her eyes shut.
 
How could he do such a thing!?
 
Forcing her eyes open again she sees her reflection and nothing else. She looks up to see if A.J. was still in front of her, this was a mistake because the moment she looked up, the mirror beneath them shatters.
(TO BE CONTINUED)