Chapter 47

The Ring Bearer

The best part about living in Joonmyun's castle was that he didn't have to do anything. Joonmyun's mother had refused to let them leave after they decided there was no point in destroying the town, leaving the twelve magess bewildered but otherwise grateful. Sehun was one of the most grateful mages, and this was simply because on the first night, after he got curious, he went and surveyed the entire castle. What he found was a wide expansion of bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchens, dining rooms, strange corridors, and a dance studio. The dance studio was what stood out to him the most, because it brought to him memories of before he had become a mage.

He couldn't go into the dance room the first day, since the elders had called for him as soon as they noticed his disappearance, but he made a mental note to return to it as soon as he was free. Three days; that's how long it took until he was ignored long enough to slip away.

The first thing he did when he got into the dance studio was walk into the center of the room and spin around, a light grin on his lips as he watched himself in the mirror that wrapped around the span of the room. It felt foreign to him to be in the dance studio after so long; and possibly that was what made him cry.

Sehun didn't like crying much, since his past was something he had said goodbye to, but he couldn't help it then. As he sunk to the ground with his body trembling in sorrow and remorse, he remembered all the things he had left behind when Yuna promised him he could become more like the wind.

He remembered how he'd left his parents behind, and a little sister who adored him and hoped to become as good at him at dancing some day. He remembered how his parents had taken to managing him so that he wouldn't be taken advantage of in the industry.

He also remembered Yun Seung, and how she didn't care that he had control over the wind. He remembered how she accepted him without hesitation and how she had showed him favor that no one had ever shown him. It made him miss her incredibly, because Yun Seung was the first to treat him as more than an entertainer and more than a source of power. To her, he was the wind. To him, she was the sun that he couldn't live without.

Slowly, Sehun's tears stopped as he stared up at himself in the mirror. He could hardly recognized the man he was looking at, as the Sehun he was looking at was afraid and exhausted. He hadn't been like that centuries ago before his life was changed. Was that what Yun Seung saw? A shell? A man that was too afraid to live on his own?

Eventually, the door to the dance studio creaked open, and in came his brothers. They had obviously been searching for him for a while, and according to the smirk on Jongin's face reflected in the mirror, he realized that it was he who knew where Sehun would be found.

"Hun?" Luhan's voice sounded worried as he entered the room, and his closest brother ran to him and held him tightly.

Luhan was the only one to have run over to Sehun, though the others had started messing around in the studio. Yixing had found an old fashioned radio at the side of the room and turned it on. Chen was making Chanyeol and Baekhyun dance with him to a song only Sehun remembered. Minseok and Kyungsoo were talking in hushed tones on the other side of the room with Joonmyun and Yifan. Zitao and Jongin were standing by Luhan for when he'd move so the other two younger mages could comfort him.

All the while, Sehun was silently thanking his brothers for being the relieving kind of warmth one needed after being outside in the snow.

When the mage of telekinesis pulled himself away and wiped off any remaining tears Sehun had, the youngest mage looked around to see the elders had all turned to him with worry lining their features. What would he say? What would they say? Thankfully, no one said anything as they waited for Sehun to pull himself together, and as the youngest mage got to his feet, Zitao reached forward and pat his back.

"Are you feeling better?" Zitao asked, though his lips curved into a frown that showed he wouldn't believe any lie Sehun fed him.

"Yes." And he wasn't lying. Maybe he could have felt better than he did, but he had his brothers around. What more could he ask for?

A moment later, the floor of the dance studio cleared, and Yixing had turned the radio to another station full of songs that only Sehun knew. The other mages looked at him expectantly, but he wanted to shake his head. Hadn't he already given up on his past? Wouldn't dancing only bring him pain?

"Come on, Sehun. Do you want me to show you how to dance?" Jongin's voice was teasing him, because Jongin also knew how to dance. The only difference was that Jongin didn't enjoy dancing as much as Sehun did; but like always, Sehun fell for the bait.

After taking a moment to stretch, Sehun found himself dancing. It had been centuries since he last danced, but it felt as if he had been dancing all along. His movements weren't at all jerky like he had expected them to be after withholding from dancing for so long. He was moving like he was actually the wind, with relaxed movements that connected with each other.

"You are the wind, Sehun." As Yun Seung's voice filled his mind, his movements stopped. It stopped suddenly, causing for the other mages that had been awestruck by his performance to stop and watch him in worry.

"I don't want to be like the wind." Sehun muttered, and the elder mages softened visibly. "She left because of it."

After a moment, Joonmyun pulled himself forward and wrapped his arms around the youngest mage, and Sehun took a moment before leaning in to the warmth the first leader provided. "She didn't leave because of you, Sehun. Don't do this to yourself."

"She wanted to come back, you know." Jongin's voice was quiet as he spoke, and the mages turned to him before glancing at Sehun, because he was the only one who had never reacted no matter how many times Jongin told them she wanted to be with them again.

"We're too dangerous for her." Minseok replied, and Sehun glanced over Joonmyun's shoulder to see the mage of frost walking out, the other mages tensing as they stared after him.

Sehun knew why he had left; because he still felt guilty about being the one to cause harm to Yun Seung after she was the only one to care for them.

Like he usually did before talking to the group, Yifan cleared his throat. "I don't know what you all think, but I've watched Yun Seung ever since she claimed Zi. If she didn't care for us, she wouldn't have reunited us. In the same fashion, we wouldn't have hurt her so much if our actions didn't mean anything to her."

Sehun waited a moment, reading the expression of the other mages as Yifan spoke. They all knew the truth behind the second leader's words, and they all knew why she had left. It didn't mean they wanted to be reminded of it, though. Because more than anything, her leaving reminded Sehun and all the others of the countless villagers that had ran from them in their past as they were told to destroy everything they saw. Her running away made them think they were just going to revert to what they once were.

"I'm going to go find him." No one stopped Sehun as he slipped out of the dance studio and tried following Minseok's presence. Would he be of any comfort towards the eldest mage? Would he even be able to speak to the eldest mage knowing that Minseok felt too betrayed by himself to forgive himself for what he had done?

Eventually, he was stopped; though it was by the Queen and not the mage of frost. At first, Sehun didn't want to be at the castle with the Queen since he felt as if he was intruding. However, the Queen was gentle and treated the eleven mages as her own sons. Even though he once had his own parents and a life before he had become a mage, he was grateful that someone still cared enough about him and his brothers.

"Sehun? Could you come help me?" In her arms was a bin of scrolls that made her hunch slightly as she held it.

With a grin, Sehun pulled the bin into his arms and walked beside her. "Of course, your Majesty."

The Queen laughed as he spoke but continued along to the throne room, her hands folded against her stomach and a dreamy look in her eyes as she looked back to him and then to the scrolls in his grip. "You're very strong, Sehun."

Was she talking about his strength to hold a bin of scrolls? He opened his mouth to thank her when he realized what she meant was more for his emotional strength than his physical strength. The Queen was perceptive and kind and Sehun didn't know if she knew it, but her words had him tearing up again; because Sehun was nothing but weak.

"Like the wind."

And with that, Sehun ducked his head. The tears had already started falling again because even being called the wind reminded him of Yun Seung, and the Queen shouldn't see him being so weak. He crouched down onto the ground and rested the bin on it, his hands then covering his face as sobs broke through once more.

A moment later, the Queen herself had crouched down and took Sehun's hands from his face, clasping her hands around them and smiling ever so gently. "The wind can be afraid, Sehun. It can be angry, and sad, and excited, and mischievous. But there is one thing the wind always is, and that is resilient. For as long as the sun burns, the winds will continue blowing."

The sun. Sehun slowly stopped crying and smiled up at the Queen, because it reminded him of how he had already thought of Yun Seung as the sun. And much like Yun Seung, the Queen was kind and burned as brightly as the sun. After another moment, he pounced on her with a tight hug; and after a short gasp of surprise, the Queen laughed lovingly and hugged him just as tightly.

"Now go, find your brother. He went to the garden earlier." The Queen stood and took the bin into her arms, now holding it as if it weighed as heavily as a feather. He gaped at her as she strode away, but with a light grin, he got onto his feet and ran to the garden where Minseok was standing before a frozen water fountain. Taking a moment to catch his breath, Sehun watched the eldest mage's shoulders shake.

"Hyung!" And when Minseok turned around with his red eyes widened in surprise, Sehun leaped forward and hugged him tightly, "It's okay, hyung. We're brothers, right? We'll stay strong for each other. We'll make it up to ourselves, hyung, and to Yun Seung. We will, I promise."

"Hun, you stupid kid." Minseok was hugging him back and grinning; Sehun could feel it. Minseok was grateful to be reminded that it wasn't too late for him, even though he himself thought it was.

When the other mages arrived, some of them cooed. Some of the other mages mocked. Some of them reached forward and rubbed Sehun's head. He didn't stop them; he didn't even mind. They were his brothers, and they were always there when he needed them, even if he were just being a spoiled brat like Zitao. He could see the Queen, too, just standing beyond them with her arms crossed over her chest and her back leaning against a wall. She was proud of them, it seemed, though he had no idea why. When Minseok pulled himself away from Sehun's clutches, he smiled at the youngest mage and Sehun in turn tilted his head back so he could see the sky.

And there it was, the sun that never refused to burn.

 


 

Hey everyone! So this was a slow update, but it hasn't reached a month yet since the last one~! I think that itself deserves a gold sticker or something. Haha, anywho, this chapter was mostly difficult because I had no idea what I wanted to portray Sehun as in it. It might need a little work still, but I'm mostly pleased with how the chapter came out.

And speaking of this story, I have big news! Okay, so I edited the Ring Bearer: Being Found and it is now up on a writing contest on Inkitt.com. The winning work gets a publishing deal! Does that sound exciting or what?! I am attaching a link to it here because I do wish that you all support the story, but also because it's a little different from what you expect. All the mages' personalities are different, but the mages themselves are different! If you want to know what I mean, you might have to read it. I warn you, however, that not all the mages you found in this story will be in the edited version.

This is the link -> http://www.inkitt.com/stories/28104

As always, please keep reading, subscribing, upvoting, commenting this story! All the support I've been given is greatly appreciated and I do hope to continue writing more chapters that all of you will enjoy for as long as this story keeps going. I'm also thinking of a couple of other EXO stories I could write, though those would certainly have to wait until this itself is finished. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this chapter and that you have an awesome day!