Chapter 12

The Ring Bearer

The three mages I had come to become close to just stared at the fourth mage, and Tao's eyes watered instantly as he continued gazing at the elder, "You... don't remember us?"

Instead of replying, the fourth mage just stood there and continued staring at the three of them in return, and I couldn't help but wonder what was going on. Was it possible to forget each other since they were sleeping for so long? How come the other three remembered each other so easily, then? As I was pulled into my thoughts, it took some time for me to realize that the fourth mage had burst into laughter; loud and rambunctious laughter with a hand on his stomach and another wiping the tears out of his eyes.

"You should see your faces!" the mage bellowed, his hands now waving the air almost frantically, and it was then that I realized what had been going on; the three mages had been trolled.

The other three mages turned from heartbroken to livid, and it didn't take long before the three ganged up against the one and started whining and hitting him like children. The mage just laughed and dodged all of their attacks, and I stood back with my arms crossed in amusement. This mage was going to be an interesting addition to the mix, I realized quickly.

Then, Kai slapped the back of the mage's head, and narrowed his eyes at the elder, "What do you think you were doing; using up all of that power?"

"I thought it would be fun to see all of the flashing lights!" the mage responded, the twinkle of his eyes frightening me just slightly and causing me to shudder at the reminder of the lights in the sky.

Sehun noticed this immediately and put an arm around me, ignoring the dirt that was covering my clothes and skin, "You frightened poor Yun Seung."

It was as if the mage hadn't even remembered that he just woke up, and his eyes widened as he stared at me, "You're the one who woke me up?" Without giving me a chance to reply, his face reddened as if from embarrassment, "I'm sorry, but I refuse to bow."

The other three gaped at him and I only tilted my head as I looked at the new mage in order to size him up, "Who are you?"

The mage was hesitant to answer for a moment, but took a deep breath and held out a hand, and a strand of light flew out from the sky and touched his hand, though it didn't leave any scorch marks, "I am the mage of lightning, Chen."

I stared at his hand for a moment, wondering how the... "lightning" as he said could be so dangerous yet so pretty at the same time. Slowly, I reached out and grabbed his hand, only barely aware of the mage flinching as well as the other three that were standing around us. Taking his hand in mine, I flipped it over gently and checked to see how it was that the light didn't give the same reaction as it did when it hit the trees.

"How is it not burning?" I looked up at Chen to see him giving me a curious glance as if wondering what I was talking about, and then I pointed at the trees outside of the circle we were in that were still burning.

"Oh!" With a wave of his hand, Chen made the fire disappear as if it hadn't been there at all to begin with, though I knew better when the smoke trailed into the sky.

"We can't be harmed by our powers." Tao answered when he realized Chen would be far too distracted to answer, and I looked back at him and nodded slowly at the information. It seemed like they were virtually indestructable; they couldn't hurt each other with their powers and they couldn't ever hurt themselves with their powers. I was starting to understand why they were put to sleep, but I wished it weren't true.

"Chen, are you hungry?" Sehun snapped me out of my thoughts, and I glanced between the four of them increduously as they sat and readied themselves to eat a meal together. Before, it was as if they didn't need to eat or rest at all, but now that they found Chen it felt like that's all they wanted to do with the rest of their lives.

Kai looked up at me and patted the ground next to him, and with a sigh, I realized it was best to give in and not fight their tendency to do what I wasn't used to doing. I sat down as well, and the five of us ate together in order to bond, but I quickly realized it was getting dark out again. It'd take us another couple of days to get back to the house, but I was exhausted and wanted nothing more than a hot bath and then a nap.

"Oh, the human is tired!" Chen called out, and I found myself narrowing my eyes at him because I wasn't sure if he was trying to offend me or not.

"Of course she is." Sehun answered him in a monotone, his arms crossed over his chest in a clearly unamused manner, "Someone's tricks had her running around the forest."

"I'm fine." My voice said otherwise, and I realized in horror that I would probably be sick for the next couple of days because of all the excitement I'd been part of recently because of these mages.

The next thing I knew was that Kai was lifting me off the ground and I stared up at him in confusion when I realized he wasn't looking at me but at the other mages. Without any verbal command, the other three grabbed our supplies and stood up, all three of them putting their hands on Kai's shoulder. I was about to ask them what was going on, but then it felt like I was being pulled out of my body and I closed my eyes to fight the feeling. When I opened my eyes again, we were back inside the house we had been living in, and I figured out that the weird feeling was because we were traveling through dimensions to get where we wanted to go.

Kai, being the gentleman he was walked me upstairs into the bathroom and gently let me down onto the lid of the toilet. Tao soon followed us into the bathroom with a towel and a fresh change of clothes, and Chen was already turning the faucet on in the tub, using his strange powers of lightning to heat up the water. Because of what happened the last time Sehun had come into the bathroom when I was in it, the youngest mage didn't follow the rest of us into the bathroom and I found myself being very grateful because I felt like I was being a burden to the mages now.

"You guys can go." I said, rubbing the back of my neck. They probably could sense how awkward I was feeling with them around, for they nodded and I was left alone within moments to think about what had happened between the past few days. I'd been alone all my life, ridiculed and insignificant. Now, it was as if I was some sort of a queen and those mages were taking care of me as if it was their responsibility to do so. As I got into the tub, I realized that it was practically their responsibility to take care of me until I helped them find the rest of the mages, and though I felt bothered by the fact, I was just proud knowing I could help them. 

By the time I had climbed down the stairs to join the mages, I heard swearing, as well as the sound of things being thrown around, and in alarm I took out one of my pistols and hurriedly entered the living room, ready to fight whatever was attacking us. What stopped me was the sight of the other mages rolling around on the floor laughing as an upset Chen stood amongst them with his arms crossed over his chest.

"Yun Seung!" Chen had a slight whine in his voice as he called for me, and the other three froze and stared up at us as Chen ran over and stood behind me with his arms wrapped around my waist, and I could just see the tears in his eyes, "They were making fun of me and calling me ugly!"

With a sigh, I put my pistol away and turned to the other three, who quickly got up and started defending themselves all at once, and I covered my ears at the loud sounds. A few seconds later, when they actually calmed down, I pulled my hands away from my ears and took a deep breath to calm myself down as well. It was then that Chen snickered from behind me, and a moment later, he was running up the stairs and laughing at the same time.

"Why that-" Kai didn't waste another moment and ran up the stairs saying swears under his breath, and I just stared after him wondering if they'd be okay or if I'd actually need to intervene.

"Now you know why we didn't want him." Sehun muttered, taking a seat on the couch and patting the space beside him. 

Laughing lightly, I sat down beside him with Tao sitting on my other side, "Now don't say that. You know you're happy to have your friend back."

"Yes, but I wish one of the other hyungs were around to keep him in check." Tao said insistently, and then he laid his head on my shoulder, and I reached up to run my hand through his hair because I knew he was tired even if he didn't say it.

"He trolls everyone he sets his eyes on." Sehun grumbled, tilting his head back onto the couch with his arms crossed over his chest, a deep sigh escaping his lips as he sat there.

"Not everyone." Chen's voice had the three of us looking up at him as he strolled down the stairs with a light grin on his lips. He took a seat next to Sehun on the couch despite the tight fit and rested his own head on Sehun's shoulder, "I won't troll Yun Seung since she woke me up."

I felt relieved as I heard that because it felt like Chen's trolling was a nightmare, but before I could think too much about it, I started wondering where Kai had gone. The mage in question stomped down the stairs with his head covered in water and I swear it looked like there was steam coming out of his ears.

"This idiot put a bucket of water on top of my door and when I tried to enter my room, the water fell on me!" Kai was absolutely unimpressed by Chen's childlike attitude, but I could hear both Sehun and Tao covering up the snickers they wanted to let go of. Even I had found the situation humorous, but because I knew Kai was probably more embarrassed than amused, I stood up and walked past him to the closet by the bathroom on the ground floor and returned with a towel for him.

"Now that we've all gotten to know each other, I have a question." To say I was surprised when hearing Chen speaking so sternly all of a sudden would be an understatement, and my eyes widened as I waited for him to continue on with his question. Kai froze beside me and I could see Sehun and Tao tense as they looked to the elder mage for him to continue, but Chen was now staring at me with calm but unnerving eyes,

"What do you hope to accomplish by awakening all of us?"