Chapter 19

The Ring Bearer

I didn't know where we were headed, or how long it would take to get there, but I knew I wanted to get there as soon as possible in order to rest and possibly breathe my last. The mages were surrounding Suho as we walked, six voices filling my ears as our feet moved forward- well, their feet.

Jongin was squeezing my hand in reassurance and leaning down every now and then to ask me to hold on. Tao was ahead of us with Sehun, and both of whom were trying to keep me awake by having a conversation that was so loud that the nearby towns probably heard them. Chen and Xiumin were bickering with each other, though I couldn't exactly understand what they were bickering about.

The only one who was silent was the male I had found earlier. I still don't know his name, and I had no idea about what kind of male he even was until Suho got tired of carrying me. Jongin was the first to offer to take me instead, but a deep voice had surprised me by saying he'd take me, and I opened one of my eyes so I could look up at the tall and goofy haired male.

He took me in his arms despite everyone else's protests and continued walking where Suho had left off. I looked up at him for a little while, my arms across my chest and my feet swaying in the wind as I was carried.

"Who are you?" I asked him, my voice sounding raspy and exhausted. I continued to stare up at him despite the fact that my eyes were trying to close in on themselves, and I couldn't help but see the flicker of guilt that flashed in his eyes.

"I'm Chanyeol, master." his eyes were downcast, and yet, they were looking everywhere but at me. The cheerful energy I had heard in his voice earlier was replaced by guilt and self loathing, "I-I'm sorry, for leaving you there."

"You're alright, and that's all that matters to me." I found myself being surprised at how slowly it was taking for me to lose consciousness. If I was actually bleeding from the head, then I should have probably died by now, "Did you and Chen rekindle your friendship?"

Chanyeol's eyebrows furrowed in confusion and his head tilted to the side as his eyes darted to Chen and back to me, "N-not yet, master. They all got upset with me because..."

"Don't let me stop you." I grinned even though my lip was split, squeezing onto his shirt for comfort, "Call me Yun Seung, please."

"Yun Seung? Are you sure?" Chanyeol was speaking with a sheepish smile and I nodded once before turning my head into his chest. He ignored the fact that I would bleed on him as he kept going, a light hop in his step, "Yun Seung."

In just a short period of time, I learned two important things about Chanyeol; it was easy to hurt him, and it was just as easy to cheer him up. The other mages would throw snide remarks in his direction, and after grumbling under his breath for a split second, he'd laugh along and even agree with the others' teasing. Unlike Suho, when Chanyeol carried me, I wasn't afraid of being too heavy for the male to carry me. Chanyeol's arms were a lot thicker than Suho's, and yet I was being held as if I weighed the same as a stick of gum.

"We need to give her some water." that was Suho's voice speaking, and though I wasn't very willing to turn my head away from Chanyeol's chest, I knew it was inevitable. I had started becoming dizzy from all the movement that was going on, and since I had no idea how long we'd be on the move for, I found myself being even more nauseous as time passed.

"Yun Seung." Tao had come over to me with one of the water bottles found in the backpack and raised it to my lips. I was hesitant to drink out of the bottle since I was so sick, but I eventually in the hesitation and drank the water given to me. It didn't heal me, of course, but I felt hydrated enough to at least look around to try and figure out where we were.

Xiumin had placed his cool fingers against my head in attempt to calm me down, his lips curving into a worried grin as he looked down at me, "You'll be alright. You just lost a bunch of blood, and I think you might have sprained an ankle, but we'll have to wait until we find Lay to be sure."

"How do you know where it is we should go?" I asked them, my eyebrows furrowed as I tried to focus on their faces, "I didn't have a dream about the eighth mage."

"There was a hospital on the map." Sehun answered, holding up the map and gesturing to it for reference, "Lay was a healer, so it's the only option that makes sense. We'll turn the entire hospital inside out if we have to."

With that, we had continued on our journey with the other mages walking ahead of Chanyeol and I, not like I minded. Chanyeol was warm like an open flame and was enough to distract me from the pain I thought would destroy me before we got anywhere near the eighth mage.

I tried to tell them that they shouldn't hurry so much, that saving me wasn't as important as finding the rest of the mages, but other than Chanyeol, everyone seemed to be ignoring me. Chanyeol leaned down a little bit in order to look me in the eye and gave me a playful little wink as he walked.

"We can't have you die before you meet the rest of us." Though he winked and tried to make his tone playful and excited, I didn't miss the way his eyes had tensed as a reaction. I don't know what he was thinking at that time, but I didn't like the way his eyes had lost their brightness, even for a second.

"And which mages are you referring to?" I was trying to joke with him to lighten the mood, and it seemed I was actually successful, because the tension from his eyes faded away and was replaced with its former mirth.

"Well you definitely have to meet Baek." Chanyeol nodded more to himself as he said this, then looked up to the sky in thought of what he should say next, "Oh! And you should meet D.O!"

That was enough to get Jongin to pull back so he could walk beside Chanyeol, looking down at me with a gentle smile and his eyes sparkling with excitement, "You'd love D.O, Yun Seung. He's short and a little cold, but he has wide owl-like eyes and he can sing."

The excitement he'd used to talk about D.O was similar to the excitement Chen used when describing his friendship with Chanyeol, and I wondered how close Jongin had to have been with D.O in order to speak of him the way he was. The only problem was that Jongin kind of made it sound like they had been dating before, or that Jongin had feelings for the mage I had never even met.

"There's a reason why we ship him and D.O together." Chanyeol was muttering again, leaning in close as if it were a dirty little secret that Jongin wasn't supposed to hear, but of course Jongin heard it and scoffed before leaving the two of us at the end again.

I tried to stop Chanyeol from picking on Jongin, but it seemed that Chanyeol was getting a kick out of Jongin's glares and evil eyes. Chen, who had been up front with Xiumin, turned around as he heard me try and stop Chanyeol and shook his head in amusement.

"Don't bother, Yun Seung. When that oaf starts something, we just wait until he's bored."

Eventually, Chanyeol did stop, though he chose to instead hum under his breath, so he could somehow fill the silence the rest of us had created. He was a strange character, and a perfect friend for someone as devious as Chen, but his humming had me calmed so quickly that I didn't even realize we had gotten to the hospital until Chanyeol put me down on a bed and turned to leave the room in search of the ring box.

"Wait!" I called out for him before he could leave completely, since I didn't want to be left alone in a hospital room, and I especially wanted to go and help find the next ring since it was my responsibility to take care of them, "Take me with you. I know where the ring is."

"How did you-" Chanyeol cut himself off and grinned as he lifted me off the bed, and then we were out of the room and in search of the ring like the other mages were.

Chanyeol and I had been through several corridors, each one seeming to be in worse shape than the last. These hallways would be perfect for some kind of horror movie, I realized, as the lights flickered overhead, and papers and furniture were thrown around carelessly as we walked.

Occasionally, we would walk by rooms only to see the other mages in them and flinging around more of the furniture in their desperate attempt to find the ring, but they didn't know what I knew, and because I had Chanyeol, I had a feeling we'd get that ring fairly quickly.

Together, the mage of fire and I explored the morgue, the operation room, some simple patient care centers, and finally, a long series of waiting rooms. I was horrorstruck by the amount of papers and furniture thrown around, because it seemed like someone else had been there in search of something, and what could they be looking for other than the ring box?

When I looked up at Chanyeol, he also looked terrfied, and it seemed his legs were moving faster in order to get us away from the horror, though I knew it was mostly because he was worried that someone had actually come and taken the next mage away. We walked down another hallway, his eyes sweeping over the many office doors until he found the one he was looking for, kicked the door open, and walked in.

The office was full of cobwebs, littered paper, and toppled bookshelves, and Chanyeol placed me down in the dusty old desk chair before he worked on looking for the ring box. There were a lot of books and things in the room, but my eyes focused on a portrait in the corner of the room. Out of all the things in the room, only that picture seemed to be out of place, and my heart started to well.

My gaze shifted back to Chanyeol, and with horror, I realized that Chanyeol probably couldn't even hear me, and I didn't know how to catch his attention. A moment later, a flicker caught my gaze, and as I looked back at the portrait, I found that it had caught on fire.

Fire? What? Don't tell me I did that. As I sat there, petrified that the fire was sweeping over the portrait, Chanyeol ran over to it, placed a hand on it to stop the fire, and then pulled it off of the wall in order to inspect the damage, only to gasp as he looked at the spot the portrait had been covering.

I had closed my eyes for a moment just to take a breath because it was honestly all so crazy that I didn't know what was happening, but when I opened my eyes again, I found Chanyeol in front of me, holding out the box we had been so worried about. In his hands sat the eighth EXO ring box.

"I'll get you to that ring, don't you worry." his lips were curled into a grin as he spoke, the hop returning in his step as we started sweeping around for the ring box.

But I was already worried, and there was nothing that could change that fact.


 

Hey guys! First thing's first- I'm so sorry that the dream is so short and not well descripted. I had written the entire thing and then something happened to my aff page and it was all erased before I had been able to save it and I got mad so I just did that all and finished the update so I can sleep. It's ten minutes before 3 AM right now and I just really need to get to bed-

Before I go, I have another question for you!

Each mage was found after an introduction dream to let you guys, as readers, know what to expect. So far, which dream do you think you like the most? I personally am tied between Tao's and Kai's. Tao's because it's what started everything, and Kai's because of the imagery of destruction and stuff.

So I'll thank you for reading, upvoting, subscribing, and commenting! Keep doing so and enjoy your day!