Part 9

Turnabout Heiress

 

 

 

 

9*

 

 

“Jiyong, I’m fine. Really.” Dara was up and about again, her headache gone. Jiyong stood by the door glaring at her.

 

“You are not fine, Dara. These headaches you’re getting is proof of that. Does your father even know this?”

 

Dara sat down at her desk. “Jiyong, let it go. I’m already seeing the doctor about this. He’s prescribed medicine for me. He’s assured me everything is fine.”

 

“Why don’t I believe you?” Jiyong muttered. He raked his hand through his hair, a scowl on his face. Dara thought he looked like he wanted to punch something.

 

She sat back in her chair, her arms crossed and head tilted to one side. “I think I can see why maybe I liked you before,” she mumbled.

 

Jiyong gazed at her, his mouth set in a straight line. Their eyes met, his hard and angry, hers soft and teasing almost.

 

“You’d make great husband material,” she said, then laughed, which only seemed to make Jiyong angrier.

 

“If I were your husband I’d throw you over my knees and spank you,” he grit out.

 

“Eww!” Dara scrunched her face and shuddered, which brought a smile finally to Jiyong’s face. He sighed and walked over to the chair in front of her desk and dropped down into it.

 

“Stop being stubborn, Dara and go see the doctor. Please?”

 

She smiled gently at him. “I told you I’m already seeing him. I’m not lying.”

 

Jiyong nodded then, finally believing her. “Then go home and get some rest. You’re probably working too hard during the day and then going out at nights – you need to rest more.”

 

“How do you know what I’m doing with my nights?” Dara asked, a smile tugging at one side of . “Have you got a spy out there on me?”

 

“Whatever,” Jiyong stated. He stood and walked over to retrieve his coat from the chair and slipped it on.

 

“Jiyong.”

 

He stopped and turned toward Dara. She stood and walked toward him. The next second she leaned in and gave him a brief hug. “Thank you.”

 

*

 

Early Saturday morning Dara arrived at the area where their company workers and their families and friends were to meet before the marathon. Bom was already there and bustling about getting things organized. Dara went over and Bom handed her a cup of coffee.

 

“Here. It’ll warm you up.”

 

Dara wasn’t running. She wanted to but her doctor had advised her against it. And after the incident the day before at the office she was sure Jiyong would throw a fit if he were to see her at the starting line. Instead she busied herself checking people in and issuing them their registration numbers to wear on their shirts.

 

Bom was going to run. She had her running shoes on and her hair up in a high ponytail. The runner’s shorts she wore left her long shapely legs exposed. She was stretching and warming up while talking to Dara when Jiyong and three other guys arrived.

 

Jiyong greeted Dara and Bom. He and the guys with him already had their shirts on and their registration numbers.

 

Jiyong jerked his thumb to the guys with him. “This is Top, that’s Daesung, and Youngbae. Guys, this is Dara and that’s Bom.”

 

“Nice to meet you.” Top grinned at Dara before turning his sight onto Bom. The one called Youngbae smiled and held his hand out to her. Dara smiled back and shook his hand.

 

Jiyong shoved Youngbae, giving him a menacing glare before walking over to the table that had coffee.

 

“Thanks for coming out to support this cause,” Dara began. She looked over the guys sweats and running shoes. “Is this the first marathon for you guys?”

 

“Can you tell?” Daesung asked. He smiled and his eyes turned into slits. Dara laughed.

 

“No. It’s my first marathon as well, but actually I won’t be running. I’ll be manning this table and waiting at the finish line for you guys.”

 

“Why aren’t you joining us?” Youngbae asked. Top had ventured over next to Bom and was making small talk with her.

 

Dara was thinking of what to say when Jiyong walked up and stood next to her. “Because I told her she can’t. She has to watch the table. Any other question?”

 

“You’re not much of a morning person, are you?” Dara teased. Jiyong guided her away from Youngbae and Daesung.

 

“You alright this morning?” His gaze bore into her eyes, searching for any sign of discomfort.

 

“No appa, I’m fine. How many times do I have to tell you?” She slapped him lightly on the arm.

 

He held the cup of coffee up close to . “Want some?” he asked, his voice low.

 

Dara was caught off guard at the intimacy of his action, as well as the way her pulse quickened. It brought a sense of dejavu.  “Uhm, no… I already had a cup,” she said, and swallowed past the lump that seemed to have formed in .

 

Jiyong didn’t step away. He remained where he was, close to her, sheltering her from the early morning wind and from the view of others nearby. Dara felt her heart racing suddenly in her chest, there was a ringing in her ears and she suddenly felt a little dizzy. She reached out with a hand and grabbed onto Jiyong’s shirt, steadying herself.

 

Jiyong was instantly concerned. He looked at her eyes, the paleness of her skin suddenly. “What’s wrong?” he asked softly, and Dara nearly panicked at the onslaught of feelings that suddenly hit her.

 

“N..nothing,” she gulped, eyes wide as her memories came flooding back in bright flashes.

 

She blinked, then shut her eyes tight.

 

“Dara!” Jiyong threw the cup of coffee down and caught Dara to him. He embraced her, held her close. One hand came up to brush her hair back as he stared with worry into her face.  He only barely heard Bom and the others running up to him. His whole attention was focused on Dara and the look in Dara’s eyes as she gazed up at him just before lost consciousness.

 

 

*