Part 12

Turnabout Heiress

 

 

12*

 

 

 

On Monday several of the employees inquired of Dara as to how she was doing. They had heard she had fainted the day of the marathon and had to be taken to the hospital.  Dara thanked them for their concern and assured them that she was fine.

 

There were also renewed rumors floating around, suspicions of something going on between Dara and Jiyong based on the way Jiyong had reacted to her fainting. Seungri was one of the first to ask her about it. “Nonsense,” Dara claimed, dismissing the rumor with a wave of her hand. She didn’t want people to get the wrong idea about her and Jiyong or to think she was there to pursue him.

 

At the morning team meeting Jiyong walked in and sat without speaking to her. He seemed very cold and abrupt that morning and she wondered what had gotten into him. His coldness to her lasted throughout the day. When they met in the hallway Dara stopped to ask if he was alright but he walked right past her as if she were not even there.

 

Dara felt a sting of hurt in her chest as she turned and headed to her office. So now he didn’t even want to acknowledge her? Jerk. It felt as if he had gone back to the same person he was two months prior. Back then he had treated her coldly as well and avoided her as much as possible. Did he think that because she had her memories back that meant she was back to obsessing over him? Did he think she would try and corral him back into a relationship with her? Was that why he was acting like this to her? 

 

She recalled his visit the past Saturday – he had been angry on that day too. He’d said that he was there to face her father with her. But she’d told him that day that she didn’t intend to tell her father about her restored memories. And as for the engagement, well that was a non-issue! It was over and done with and she wasn’t going to go back on her word. Was he afraid that she would? Was that what this was really all about?

 

Dara rubbed at her temple. How did she prove to him that nothing would change even though she had her memories back? 

 

There was a knock on her door and Bom entered carrying a large bouquet of spring flowers. “How beautiful,” Dara admired. “Who sent those?”

 

Bom took the card and handed it over to Dara as she arranged the bouquet on the coffee table. "Must be a secret admirer," she boss.

 

Dara smiled as she opened the card and read the note. They were from Donghae. A few minutes later her phone rang and she saw it was him calling.

 

“Did you receive my gift?” he asked.

 

“I did – they’re beautiful. Thank you.”

 

“I’m glad you like them. I was calling to ask if you would like to have dinner with me tonight?”

 

She hesitated, and then the image of a cold Jiyong entered her thoughts. Maybe this was for the best. She did like Donghae – not in the same way she did Jiyong but maybe that would change if she gave Donghae a chance. “Yes, I’d like that,” Dara answered.

 

*

 

For the remainder of that week Jiyong did not speak with Dara unless it was absolutely necessary. And even then it was straight to the point and always related to business.

 

Dara had gone out with Donghae twice that week to dinner and once to lunch.  They were going out again tonight to a play.

 

“You seem to be seeing Mr. Lee a lot lately,” her father commented.

 

Dara nodded. “He’s nice.”

 

“Just nice?” Mr. Park asked.

 

Dara thought a moment. “He’s smart, funny, a great conversationalist. He’s involved in a lot of charity work and I think he’s really nice,” Dara said.

 

“I see. But not ‘love of my life’ material I guess?”

 

Dara narrowed her eyes at her father before turning and headed upstairs to get ready for her date.

 

*

 

The play Donghae took Dara to was a charity event involved with raising funds for cancer. Tickets were impossible to get unless you were a celebrity or socialite. Either way it was an event meant for the wealthy. As expected at such events there were a lot of reporters and paparazzi near the entrance snapping photos and interviewing those attending. Dara and Donghae arrived in a limo and walked the red carpet as their photos was snapped by the dozens of paparazzi and media cameras. Donghae and his family were well known as philanthropists and one of the reporters with a local news channel asked for a short interview with him and with Dara by his side.

 

Jiyong was with Daesung and Top at a bar drinking. The tv above the bar was on and covering the event. Daesung suddenly pointed at the tv as the camera panned in on Lee Donghae and his date, Sandara Park.

 

“Hey, look, that’s Dara!” Daesung stated.

 

Jiyong stared at the television silently. She looked beautiful dressed in a long Roman styled white dress with silver t. Her hair was swept up in a mass of silky curls and Jiyong thought she looked like a Greek goddess.

 

“I hear from Bom those two are dating now,” Top mentioned. He’d gone out with Bom a few times since the marathon and were becoming something more than friends.

 

Jiyong swallowed the remainder of his drink and called the bartender for a refill. Jealously burned at him. She said her memories were back but why then didn’t she act like it? What happened to her so called ‘love’ for him? Had her love been so shallow that a mere bump on her head made her forget all about it?

 

Witch.

 

‘I should bump some sense back into her head,” he thought meanly. And then beat the crap out of the Donghae oppa of hers.

 

*

 

It was past midnight when Donghae walked Dara up to her door. He had taken Dara to an after party for those who had attended the charity play along with the actors. But he had noticed that she had seemed out of it, her smile not reaching her eyes as she posed with him again and again for photos. So they had left early.

 

“I’m sorry,” Dara apologized as she turned to him. “I really did have a great time at the play. I’m just not used to all those camera flashes. It was beginning to give me a headache.”

 

“No need to apologize. I’m glad you came with me.” Donghae stepped closer, he took her hands in his. He promised himself earlier that tonight he would reveal his feelings to Dara.

 

Dara swallowed nervously as the gap between her and Donghae lessened. He was going to kiss her – she knew it. Should she do it? This was what she wanted, right? But when she raised her face upwards as Donghae bent his head down towards her, it was Jiyong’s face that flashed in her mind. At the last second she turned her head.

 

Donghae stopped. He was disappointed but more concerned with Dara. His hand came up and gently touched her cheek.

 

“I’m sorry,” she said softly. “I’m just not…” She broke off.

 

Donghae sighed and stepped back. “Its okay, Dara. I just want you to know that I really like you. I’d like to see you more if you’ll allow it. We can take things slow and let you get to know me better. Will that be alright?”

 

Dara nodded. Slow was good. Maybe in time she could grow her feelings for Donghae. He leaned forward and kissed her forehead.

 

“Go on in.”

 

Dara mustered up a smile and bid him goodnight.

 

In a car down the street Jiyong watched the two. He remained there long after Donghae left and Dara had disappeared into the house.

 

*