Part 3

Turnabout Heiress

 

 

 

 

*3

 

 

“Her memory loss seems to be selective and should be temporary,” Dr. Lee explained to Dara’s father. “She seems to remember most things and people…””

“Except for her fiance,” Mr. Park barked. He was still sore that he'd given up an expensive building to secure a wedding engagement that his daughter now no longer wanted.

Dr. Lee smiled. “Perhaps it’s the stress of all the wedding preparations that she’s blocked out anything and anyone related to that topic.”

“But she’s the one that wanted it!”

“It’s not whether or not she wants it,” Dr. Lee emphasized. “Planning a wedding can be stressful no matter what the circumstances.”

“So you’re saying that she’ll remember eventually who he is?” Mr. Park asked.

“In most cases that would be expected. The help that came with her last night said she whacked her head pretty hard on the floor. The x-rays show some swelling in that area of the brain. The good news is that she’s conscious so the injury isn’t too serious. But I’d like to keep her under observation for another day and see how she progresses. Her missing memories should return soon enough.”

“But what about the other symptoms?” Mr. Park asked. “She’s acting strangely. Her behavior and mannerisms are different.”

“Ah, is that so?” Dr. Lee nodded. “That’s interesting. Sometimes that can happen. It’s rare but possible.”

“When she gets her memories back, will she also revert back to herself once more?”

“Well that’s harder to say. Like I said behavior changes are rare but not unheard of when the brain receives trauma to it. In some cases the behavior changes are temporary and the patient returns back to their regular characteristics before the accident. However that isn’t always the case. Above all you should keep in mind that despite any different mannerisms or behaviors she is still the same person inside. Constantly reminding the patient that she’s changed could cause undue stress on her, which is what Ms. Park needs to avoid at this time.”

 

*

 

Jiyong whistled as he strolled from his car to the entrance to Park Enterprise, his mood cheerful. “Morning Jin!” he called out to the doorman.

“Someone’s in a happy mood this morning!”

“Yes sir!” Jiyong chuckled, and headed for the elevator. It was a week now since Sandara Park, aka his ‘ex’ fiancée had declared in her hospital room her refusal to marry him. Today the announcement of the cancelled engagement was formally made in a small two paragraph article on the business section of the newspaper. Jiyong was free at last!

“Good morning, Jiyong!” Jessica from the finance department rushed up to him right before he reached the elevator. “Jiyong, is it true that you’re no longer engaged?”

“Yes it is. Isn’t it wonderful news?” Jiyong asked, with a wide smile.

The beautiful girl gave a little squeal. “That’s wonderful news! Congratulations on your new found freedom. Perhaps we can celebrate over dinner tonight?” she asked hopefully. She wanted to get her claim in before the other women in the building did. They’d all been dreadfully disappointed when they heard Jiyong was engaged to Mr. Park’s daughter. But now that the engagement was off it was as if a dark shadow had been cast off from all of Jiyong’s former admirers.

“I’ll have to see if I’m available,” Jiyong answered, giving her a wink before he stepped into the elevator. He had to admit it did feel good to be able to flirt and play the field again. Nothing could ruin his day today.

As soon as the elevator doors opened Jiyong stepped out and headed down the hall where the PR department was located. He passed a few workers who stopped and looked at him as he passed. Jiyong smiled, thinking that they must have heard the news about his cancelled engagement. Opening the door to the PR department he stepped through. “Good morning team!”

His team members were all standing whispering but stopped when they saw Jiyong enter.

“Boss!” Seungri, the youngest on the team, hurried toward him as Jiyong continued on his way to his office.

“What is it Seungri?” Jiyong asked, as the maknae followed.

“Boss, there’s someone in your…” Seungri’s words died as Jiyong opened the door to his office and stopped in his tracks. There behind his desk and leaning back in his leather chair and looking quite at home sat the last person he expected to see.

“Boss, I was going to tell you someone’s in your office,” Seungri whispered.

Jiyong took a few steps in and tossed his attache on the nearest chair. He stared down at the intruder. “What are you doing in my office and in my chair, Ms. Park?”

“Now Mr. Kwon,” Dara purred, not looking in the slightest disturbed by Jiyong’s glare or harsh tone. “Is that anyway to talk to your boss?”

Jiyong’s eyes narrowed. “What do you mean boss? As far as I recall I answer to your father, not you, Sandara.”

“Tsk.” Dara opened one of the drawers and withdrew a nameplate and she placed it on what had previously been Jiyong’s desk. The nameplate read “Sandara Park, VP of Public Relations”. Jiyong noticed that his nameplate was no longer in sight. He followed Dara’s glance to the right and saw his nameplate sitting in the trashcan.

“Let me assure you, Mr. Kwon, you report to me,” Dara stated, one side of lifting into a self-satisfied smile.

“Says who?”

Dara pulled another drawer and withdrew a thin stack of stapled papers. “There’s the proof,” Dara answered, and pushed the papers across the desk. She stood up and Jiyong’s eyes went to her outfit. Dara was wearing a form fitting purple dress, much shorter than anything Jiyong had ever seen her wear. As she strolled around the desk and came to stand a few feet from him, Jiyong suddenly became aware of Seungri standing beside him and gawking at Dara’s long bare legs.

Jiyong hit Seungri on the arm. “What are you still doing here? Get back to your desk! And close the door behind you!”

Seungri backed away, rubbing his arm but still trying to steal a look at Dara’s legs.

“Seungri!” Jiyong yelled, snapping the maknae’s attention back to him.

“Going, I’m going!” Seungri hurried out the door before Jiyong threw something at him. As soon as the door closed behind Seungri, Jiyong turned back to face Dara.

“What the hell are you wearing?” he asked.

Dara narrowed her eyes at him. “May I remind you again, Mr. Kwon, I am your boss. That is not the type of tone you should take with me. And it’s none of your concern what I wear.”

Jiyong stared back at her in disbelief. “You and I both know the title your father gave you is nothing but a farce. He even admitted as much in the hospital that day.”

Dara tapped the papers she had pushed on the desk earlier towards him. “Read the documents. It’s all legal and binding. I am the VP of Public Relations. That makes me your boss,” Dara smirked.

“Just what kind of game are you playing at, Dara?” Jiyong hissed, as he took a step closer. “First you call of the engagement –which I’m not complaining about, mind you—I couldn’t be happier about that. But now you’re here wanting to play at being boss? Is this your new strategy? Are you trying to pay me back for not wanting to marry you.”

“Contrary to what your ego thinks, the world does not revolve around you, Kwon Jiyong,” Dara stated. She folded her arms and leaned back against the desk, her long legs extended out before her. It was distracting Jiyong in a major way, especially since Dara he knew never liked to dress y like this.

“Do you even know anything about Public Relations and what’s required of this job?” Jiyong forced his eyes to remain focused on Dara’s face. She was wearing eyeliner that was bold and emphasized the soft brown shade of her eyes. He never realized how beautiful they were…

“Stick around and find out.” Dara answered with a cocky grin. She pointed to a box on the couch that contained what Jiyong recognized where his belongings. "Meanwhile why don't you be a good boy and take your things there and go sit next to Seungri?"