Part 5

Turnabout Heiress

 

 

 

                                        

Jiyong looked up as Dara entered the office followed closely by her PA. It's been close to two weeks since they’ve been sharing the office and the two have found a way to settle into a workable working partnership. Their desks are at opposite sides of the office, giving them enough space to work without disrupting the other. If they have appointments or someone there to meet them they take the meeting in the conference room. Furthermore Jiyong has been surprised to see that Dara is serious about her position there.

Dara is there early and most days leaves the office late. He never asks her about her schedule but he can tell by her look of concentration when he arrives at the office that she’s been there for a while. He also can’t get over her new look. She’s cut her hair short in a shoulder length bob that makes her look both older and younger at the same time, depending on the expression she’s making with her face. It was strange also to see her dressed in business attire and in bold colors whereas before she always preferred light colored frilly dresses. Today she wore a black pin-striped pencil skirt with a white long sleeved silk blouse. Her bright red stilettos were the same color as her lipstick. The perfume she wore had a light jasmine scnet that had him thinking of her at odd times of the day.

Her desk was closer to the window. Often during the day when she was on the phone she would turn her chair at an angle to face the window as she talked. Jiyong looked up one time and he saw her in that position, her chair facing the window, bathed in the warm afternoon sun. She was smiling at whatever it was the person on the phone was saying and he felt his breath catch for a moment. She really was a beauty. Even with the glasses she opted to wear now days in place of contacts couldn’t detract from that angelic look of hers.

As for her work Dara was still catching up and learning but as she had said she to her father she was capable of handling the job. She attended the department’s daily morning meetings to get the hang of how things flowed and knew everyone already by first name basis. Seungri was like a lost puppy around her, much to Jiyong’s irritation. It seemed he was always having to remind the maknae to get to work and stop staring at his ‘noona’ as he liked to call Dara. It was hardly an appropriate way for the maknae to address her at work but Dara seemed bemused by the guy's affection and allowed it but only if they were alone.

 

Bom walked in and placed a coffee and pastry bag on Dara's desk before she turned and came to place another cup and pastry bag on Jiyong's desk. She usually ordered coffee and a biscuit for Dara from the Cocoa Bean coffee shop across the street and had them deliver it.  She'd taken to ordering Jiyong's favorite coffee and a biscuit for him as well.

He had to hand it to Dara for her choice of bringing Bom on board. Jiyong had recognized the red-headed girl from the lobby area but would never have thought her capable of the quality of work and loyalty she showed toward Dara. The two together were becoming the talk of the department if not the whole building. It was natural that Bom always be close by Dara since she was her PA, but what had people talking was the striking appearance of the two side by side. They were like two poster girls for modern office chicness or something. He didn’t know that Dara had taken Bom shopping and let her buy a whole new wardrobe. Bom had protested but Dara had said to her, “If you’re going to be my Personal Assistant then I need you to look the part. Consider it one of the perks of the job.” The two were also seen hanging out after hours as well.

*

“Jiyong, do you have a minute?”

He looked up to see Dara standing in front of his desk.

“Yes, sure.” He pointed to the chair in front of his desk and Dara sat down. She placed a newspaper in front of him. It was folded to a certain page.

 “Have you seen the article this morning on the upcoming charity marathon downtown?” Dara asked. “What do you think about having our company participate? We can sign up as a sponsor and recruit amongst all the employees for those who would like to participate. It’s a good way to help build our relationship with the community and support a good cause.”

Jiyong skimmed through the article. It was the organization’s 4th year holding the marathon and was gaining in popularity. “I like it,” he said, and then spent the next ten minutes discussing it with Dara. She looked excited about the whole project. Jiyong had to smile to see her enthusiasm. He’d had occasion to see her like this a few times in the past week as she was talking with or working with various members of the team. It was no wonder they all liked her so much. She seemed almost childlike in her excitement when she was caught up in something she was excited about.

“So I’ll go ahead and put the proposal together and present it to the Chairman then?” Dara asked. Technically she didn’t have to ask him since she outranked him, but Jiyong appreciated that she made the effort while there to seek his opinion and help when needed.

“That sounds good,” he agreed, and Dara flashed him a smile as she stood and returned to her desk to type up the proposal.

 

An hour later Jiyong stood to leave for lunch. He had a lunch date with a hot girl he’d met at a club that past weekend. He paused as he saw Dara still deeply engrossed in work.

“Aren’t you going out for lunch?” he asked. Dara glanced up briefly and shook her head.

“I bought a sandwich.”

Jiyong frowned. “Take your break, Dara. The work will still be there when you get back.” He’d noticed her taking pain relievers a couple of times in the past few days and it worried him that she might be pushing herself. “How’s your head?” he asked, causing Dara to stop and look at him with a puzzled look. “Have you done a follow up with your doctor to make certain everything’s alright?”

Dara chuckled. “You’re beginning to sound like my father. I’m fine, go enjoy your lunch. Thanks anyway.”

She turned back to her work while Jiyong looked at her for a few seconds longer with concern before he shrugged and left to meet his lunch date.

 

 

*