Part 1

Turnabout Heiress

 

 

 

Kwon Jiyong sighed and looked around the hospital room before focusing his gaze on the woman lying on the bed once more. Her name was Sandara Park – Dara for short. And she, unfortunately for him, was his fiancée.

“Are you sure you don’t remember me?” he asked, frowning.

“Do you think I’m faking this?” Sandara scowled back at him, the frown marring an otherwise angelic looking face. “You think I like being at the mercy of whoever walks in here and expects me to believe everything they tell me? I have amnesia – I’m not stupid! And you most certainly can’t be my fiancé. I can’t imagine myself ever wanting to be hooked up to a man as cold as yourself.”

One corner of his mouth tilted up in a half smile. “Ah, if you only knew. You’re the one that pursued me, Ms. Park.”

“What?” Dara found that hard to believe. Then her eyes widened. Dear God, she hoped she wasn’t one of those types of women. “Are you… rich?” she asked worriedly. At this Kwon Jiyong gave a short derisive laugh.

“No, but you are. Filthy rich.” Rich enough to have her father force him into an engagement with her. Dara lay there frowning at him, trying to make sense of what he said.

“So you’re saying I’m rich and that I pursued you?”

He gave her a look that Dara could only describe as being arrogant.

“Well that does it,” she muttered. “I must have been out of my mind even before this damn accident.” She paused, considering something, then asked. “Did I propose to you?”

His half smirk provided the answer she dreaded.

“Well that’s just great.” Her scowl deepened, like she wanted to throw something. Her hand went to her forehead and rubbed at the headache forming. “Look, whatever happened before all of this, I erase it. Cancel whatever damn arrangements have been made and call the engagement off! I refuse to marry someone like you, now get out of my room!”

Kwon Jiyong sat staring at her for a few seconds, and then he started laughing. The Dara he knew would never speak like this to him or anyone else for that matter. But this woman before him breathed fire with her eyes and words.

She glared at him, getting angrier by the second as he stood there laughing.

“What do you find so damn funny?” she snapped.

Jiyong took several deep breaths to bring himself under control. His eyes remained filled with mirth, and Dara was irritated when she saw a glimpse of what she figured must been the reason she fell for this jackass laughing at her. Laughter transformed his cold face into that of a boyish irresistible looking man.

“You’ll have to excuse me,” Jiyong said, the remnants of a laugh still evident in his voice. “Last time I saw you, you swore you’d never let me go. And now you can’t get rid of me fast enough. Ah, this is too funny.”

“Consider this your lucky day then and get out,” Dara stated firmly. She didn’t want to have anything to do with this punk in front of her. Suddenly she felt a wave of fatigue hit her and she closed her eyes wearily, her head falling limp against the pillow.

“Dara?” Jiyong leaned forward, concern written on his face as he took hold of her hand and placed his other hand near her shoulder. “Dara?”  Jiyong grabbed the nurse call button and pressed it quickly.

“Yes, can I help you?” a voice asked.

“I think Dara – Ms. Park needs help.”

“I’ll be right over.”

Jiyong waited, hovering over Dara. He was still holding her hand when the nurse, followed by Yang Hyunsuk, Dara’s father’s lawyer and close family friend, entered the room.

“She was talking and then just went limp…” he explained, stepping back while the nurse checked on Dara. He waited anxiously for her finding.

“Her vitals are good. I think she just wore herself out,” the nurse said. “It’s best that you let her rest right now. Too much excitement and stress isn’t good for her.”

Jiyong’s gaze went to Dara. A deep frown marred her face even as she slept. She looked exhausted. Suddenly he felt bad for laughing at her. Even if everything he said was true he should have been more sensitive to her condition. She seemed so vulnerable and incredibly young looking as she lay there.

"It's the weirdest thing," he whispered to Yang. "She's like a whole different person."

“We’d better go,” Yang told him. "Her father's flight should be arriving soon." He went out while Jiyong remained behind a while longer. After the nurse left, he stepped closer and stood there looking down at Dara. He noticed for the first time how pale she looked. Even in sleep her features didn’t relax. Jiyong reached out and traced a finger gently across her brow.

“Sorry,” he whispered. And after a moment he turned and exited.